Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Developer post in this thread.  

Thread: "-nologs" may improve performance, no stuttering, read details

1.   Click here to go to the next Developer post in this thread.   #1

"-nologs" may improve performance, no stuttering, read details

in case someone want to test solution to the problem of too spammy RPT file (report log)
    try use commandline parameter in the DEV branch (sorry not yet in STABLE)
    -nologs

and tell us the results (in other words, we want Your feedback)

HOWTO:

in the STEAM's game list, select Arma 3 Beta, then right-mouse-button click to raise menu
    > select Propterties > in General tab (first one already) > select Set Launch Options > type in there (w/o the quotation marks) "-nologs"

if you want multiple parameters then e.g. "-nosplash -nologs"

more params http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/A...ble_parameters

original thread: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthrea...36#post2438036

p.s. be aware this means none errors saved to RPT file (report log)
    so in case you want report some bug to Arma 3 feedback tracker http://feedback.arma3.com
    then please disable this commandline param first

Thanks Dwarden - feedback pending, I'll give it a go tonight and tomorrow and see how it goes!

Looks good to me I couldn't see an actual increase in performance (fps) but the LOD switching and especially flickering was much better!

This could perhaps be the norm as the rpt file doesn't really concern the average user? When errors arise and the rpt logs are needed, a command like -debug could be added to the command line to enable logs as opposed to having a command to disable it (which most people have no clue of)

This works great for me, the main time you will see this if a mission mainly mp has script or errors writting out all the time. For instance I had a 8mb RPT file after playing a stutter server, stutters were as it it wrote out the missing items as I constantly walked or drove past them.

This is a god send to me, some others with faster drives may not see the benefits as their systems can handle multiple writes but not all have ssd's yet and proven if u redirect to a ram drive the stutters are gne due to fast writes off to ram not HDD.

Again, thanks BI.
    Specs: Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P | AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE 3.4GHz | Sapphire RADEON HD 7850 (Latest Cats) CCC |8GB DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel |Samsung 2232BW 22" LCD & Hanns-G HH281 28" LCD | X-Fi Ultimate Gamer (5.1) | LiteOn DH20A4P DVD-RW | Saitek Cyborg Evo Joystick | Win7 Ultimate

It is great command switch for SSD drives, please make it permanently existing in the future, as long as many SSD drives exist that go 100% utilization when writes are done during and reads.

6.   Click here to go to the next Developer post in this thread.   #6
    Author of the Thread
    xaxa well the game is not yet finally released so it was normal it writes errors and debug stuff (dev is more spammy than stable) ...

Well, I switched to the dev branch to try this out.

I haven't crashed yet, but haven't played enough to say that this resolved that definitively. (I have been crashing since beta started).

As for the stutter that was introduced with beta, it is still there, so this had no effect on that.

As for performance in general, I noticed no difference whatsoever, and have the same issues with utilization that have plagued me since Arma 2.

So, this *might* have fixed my crash issues (I will update again later if this turns out not to be the case. But, I still have all the same performance issues, and still have the stuttering that was introduced in beta.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobile_Medic View Post
    Well, I switched to the dev branch to try this out.

I haven't crashed yet, but haven't played enough to say that this resolved that definitively. (I have been crashing since beta started).

As for the stutter that was introduced with beta, it is still there, so this had no effect on that.

As for performance in general, I noticed no difference whatsoever, and have the same issues with utilization that have plagued me since Arma 2.

So, this *might* have fixed my crash issues (I will update again later if this turns out not to be the case. But, I still have all the same performance issues, and still have the stuttering that was introduced in beta.
    i hate to tell you this but maybe its time to reinstall windows I know it suks but i do it about every 6 months and the performance gain is noticeable
    multi core, parallel processing and concurrency
    I5 2500K @4.2 GHZ
    DDR3 1333 8GB
    64GB SATA II HD
    EVGA 660SC @1920X1080
    Z68 GIGBYTE MB
    CORSAIR TX750 PSU
    HYPER 212 COOLER

@Dwarden, could you (BIS) implement this parameter in Arma2OA too.
    Maybe it could help there too, I had many missions that would lag with 20+ MB error logs (many errors in log per sec).

Red face

Seems very smooth for me LOD is much better

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast