Dwarden

"-nologs" may improve performance, no stuttering, read details

in case someone want to test solution to the problem of too spammy RPT file (report log)

try use commandline parameter in the DEV branch (sorry not yet in STABLE)

-nologs

and tell us the results (in other words, we want Your feedback)

HOWTO:

in the STEAM's game list, select Arma 3 Beta, then right-mouse-button click to raise menu

> select Propterties > in General tab (first one already) > select Set Launch Options > type in there (w/o the quotation marks) "-nologs"

if you want multiple parameters then e.g. "-nosplash -nologs"

more params http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma2:_Startup_Parameters#Available_parameters

original thread: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?158939-Game-Freezing-after-Today-s-(9-7-13)-Update&p=2438036#post2438036

p.s. be aware this means none errors saved to RPT file (report log)

so in case you want report some bug to Arma 3 feedback tracker http://feedback.arma3.com

then please disable this commandline param first

Thanks Dwarden - feedback pending, I'll give it a go tonight and tomorrow and see how it goes!

Looks good to me :) I couldn't see an actual increase in performance (fps) but the LOD switching and especially flickering was much better!

This could perhaps be the norm as the rpt file doesn't really concern the average user? When errors arise and the rpt logs are needed, a command like -debug could be added to the command line to enable logs as opposed to having a command to disable it (which most people have no clue of)

This works great for me, the main time you will see this if a mission mainly mp has script or errors writting out all the time. For instance I had a 8mb RPT file after playing a stutter server, stutters were as it it wrote out the missing items as I constantly walked or drove past them.

This is a god send to me, some others with faster drives may not see the benefits as their systems can handle multiple writes but not all have ssd's yet and proven if u redirect to a ram drive the stutters are gne due to fast writes off to ram not HDD.

Again, thanks BI.

It is great command switch for SSD drives, please make it permanently existing in the future, as long as many SSD drives exist that go 100% utilization when writes are done during and reads.

xaxa well the game is not yet finally released so it was normal it writes errors and debug stuff (dev is more spammy than stable) ...

Well, I switched to the dev branch to try this out.

I haven't crashed yet, but haven't played enough to say that this resolved that definitively. (I have been crashing since beta started).

As for the stutter that was introduced with beta, it is still there, so this had no effect on that.

As for performance in general, I noticed no difference whatsoever, and have the same issues with utilization that have plagued me since Arma 2.

So, this *might* have fixed my crash issues (I will update again later if this turns out not to be the case. But, I still have all the same performance issues, and still have the stuttering that was introduced in beta.

Well, I switched to the dev branch to try this out.

I haven't crashed yet, but haven't played enough to say that this resolved that definitively. (I have been crashing since beta started).

As for the stutter that was introduced with beta, it is still there, so this had no effect on that.

As for performance in general, I noticed no difference whatsoever, and have the same issues with utilization that have plagued me since Arma 2.

So, this *might* have fixed my crash issues (I will update again later if this turns out not to be the case. But, I still have all the same performance issues, and still have the stuttering that was introduced in beta.

i hate to tell you this but maybe its time to reinstall windows :( I know it suks but i do it about every 6 months and the performance gain is noticeable :)

@Dwarden, could you (BIS) implement this parameter in Arma2OA too.

Maybe it could help there too, I had many missions that would lag with 20+ MB error logs (many errors in log per sec).

Excuse my ignorance, but where do I get the Dev Branch?

This freezing issue has been doing my swede in.

Cheers,

Ahh, I've already tried to use this, unfortunately the server I play on won't let me join with it enabled...Shame.

Q6600 2.4, HD 6870, 4GB RAM, same benchmark mission and same setup which give me best fps I could get from my rig.

with -nologs I got 33 FPS average and without 31 not much but improvement.

Notice also that improvement happened only when camera is set up in distance watching some action,gain cca 5 FPS, when it is close to the action or in movement no gain of FPS.

Ok, confirmed that this has no effect for me.

Alpha was better, sad to say. Beta still has the same ole performance issues, and *also* introducted stuttering and game crashing that I did not have prior to beta. And, no, the problem is not that I need to reinstall windows....

I rolled back to stable branch as this workaround (Sorry, but I don't think this should be considered a solution) didn't do anything for me.

Ok, confirmed that this has no effect for me.

Alpha was better, sad to say. Beta still has the same ole performance issues, and *also* introducted stuttering and game crashing that I did not have prior to beta. And, no, the problem is not that I need to reinstall windows....

I rolled back to stable branch as this workaround (Sorry, but I don't think this should be considered a solution) didn't do anything for me.

for you, it means your system is either already overstressed (by some other issues or game bugs) or it's already so fast and optimized (I/O, controllers, SSD, CPU) that it has no effect, yet for some this works, nobody said it's gunna be silver bullet

for you, it means your system is either already overstressed (by some other issues or game bugs) or it's already so fast and optimized (I/O, controllers, SSD, CPU) that it has no effect, yet for some this works, nobody said it's gunna be silver bullet

I wasn't anticipating a silver bullet. I was merely reporting my findings as per your request. My system is the same exact system it was during alpha. The difference between alpha and beta (as already mentioned) is the introduction of stuttering and game crashing. That changed with Beta. And, I've had the same utilization issues all the way back to arma 2 (which I certainly didn't expect this to fix).

No noticeable change in performance or LOD switching/flickering for me.

Laptop Specifications :

Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Intel Core I7-3610QM

Samsung NP550P5C

2x4096MB Corsair Vengeance (PC3-12800 9-9-9-24)

Nvidia GeForce GT 650M 2GB DDR3

240GB Sandisk Extreme SSD

I wasn't anticipating a silver bullet. I was merely reporting my findings as per your request. My system is the same exact system it was during alpha. The difference between alpha and beta (as already mentioned) is the introduction of stuttering and game crashing. That changed with Beta. And, I've had the same utilization issues all the way back to arma 2 (which I certainly didn't expect this to fix).

Same for me. Micro stutters only started with the Beta. I'm running a laptop so expected it to struggle.....

If I run a DS and connect to it as client on same computer (with -nologs switch option on both DS and client) then performance seems to be a bit smoother.

It certainly isn't a silver bullet, but by no means is snake oil either. Can't hurt not having to write megabytes of data to the logs.

Looks intersting, but what would be even more interesting is "reduced logs". As in - Log only logging errors that are relevant to the player/missionmaker/modder, such as script errors, no config entry errors and scripted diag_log messages. Currently, the RPT gets full of messages that the player/missionmaker/modder can do nothing about...

Hey everyone. This stuttering has been happening for me big time since about a week or two ago. I don't know if the .rpt files are a new thing or not but I know for a fact that they are causing my stuttering. It only happens in MP because players are joining with custom weapons and other mods that my game does not have. That's why I get the black boxes that say 'randomweaponname.filename not found,' because I don't have those mods. And that message is CONSTANTLY being written to my disk and causing this stuttering; my hard drive LED on my front panel lights up and my hard drive makes its noises when I get the stutter. I even just alt-tabbed out of the game to watch my .rpt file increase by the second. After a 2 hour play period I deleted the .rpt file. It was almost 20 MB. This is absolutely ridiculous and I can't test this -nologs fix because it is not in the standard version and almost nobody who uses these mods (and are causing my lag) play the dev version. I don't want this to sound like a rant but this really getting me upset because it has essentially made multiplayer unplayable for me. This wasn't happening a month ago.

Hey everyone. This stuttering has been happening for me big time since about a week or two ago. I don't know if the .rpt files are a new thing or not but I know for a fact that they are causing my stuttering. It only happens in MP because players are joining with custom weapons and other mods that my game does not have. That's why I get the black boxes that say 'randomweaponname.filename not found,' because I don't have those mods. And that message is CONSTANTLY being written to my disk and causing this stuttering; my hard drive LED on my front panel lights up and my hard drive makes its noises when I get the stutter. I even just alt-tabbed out of the game to watch my .rpt file increase by the second. After a 2 hour play period I deleted the .rpt file. It was almost 20 MB. This is absolutely ridiculous and I can't test this -nologs fix because it is not in the standard version and almost nobody who uses these mods (and are causing my lag) play the dev version. I don't want this to sound like a rant but this really getting me upset because it has essentially made multiplayer unplayable for me. This wasn't happening a month ago.

I get stuttering everywhere since beta. including in showcases in sp. -nologs didn't fix this for me.

didn't fix it for me either, I only had -nolog in the parameters

---------- Post added at 20:11 ---------- Previous post was at 19:39 ----------

Sorry to say this but the page you pointed us to for the start up parameters has a section for UNKNOWN, why is this? Why are they unknown and on the page?

1. there is no -nolog, the correct parameter is -nologs

2. it's BIKI (community wiki), so it has also user made entries about 'non documented commandline params'