Sign in to follow this  
Holden93

[SP] Defensive start

Hey guys,

This my first mission, I starded using the editor when the beta was released.

This is the second mission of a campaign I've been working on for the entire week, and at the moment I have only this (Yeah I know, second mission and it's the first :p) anyway I'm sharing it because I'd like to know how I can improve.

Of course, since I'm new to this game and I have never used the editor earlier it's nothing special, just a linear mission where you must defend.

Campaign infos: Main character's name is Adams, he's a squad leader.

The campaign will take place first in Stratis and later on in Altis (I think you know why)

It's going to be a story driven campaign but with not so much cutscenes, first because it takes a lot of time to create a good one, second because creating one is boring.(I created a simply one, but not with the camera thing, first person and once it ends you'll be able to play directly, old style cutscenes ftw)

The Green Army has been pushed into the sea.

More characters, but the main one will be Adams

He will have more men at his disposal later on

Helicopter missions

Scuba insertions

Features:

Uh..ehm...can I say tasks? :p

Artillery, nothing else, as I said above it's a simple linear mission, nothing special.

Side objectives! (not in the 2 missions i have uploaded.)

Glitches:

-The second task is created with a trigger, not in the briefing.sqs so when you complete it if you open the map and go to the tasks section you will see that it's still active, it won't be the current task though

-Sometimes the game has FPS drops, that's because I choosed to teleport enemies, it may have a performance impact but it's easier for me, of course they will teleport when you can't see them, only at the end there's a risk you can.

-Since the enemy units haven't got a real objective, they may fall back, and if they do the mission won't end because it will end when every enemy will be killed, if you have the checkpoint and when the LAVs are near the buildings the mission doesn't end just reload the checkpoint, to prevent enemy units from leaving the combat zone I choosed to let the LAVs circle around, I haven't tested it yet so if you have any problems write a post and I will update it instantly. IMPROVED

-The LAVs could arrive late, that's because they're pretty far and when you get to the wounded guy they start moving to enemy position. FIXED

-The briefing doesn't start at mission start, anyway if you press M you should be able to see the notes FIXED

-Not a glitch, but I forgot setidentity...

-Low performance IMPROVED

-sideChat and titleText are confusing. FIXED, I will use sideChat from now on, it's easier and takes less time

These are the only glitches I've found, if you see more tell me, I'll fix them.

GLITCH IN THE SECOND MISSION! I FORGOT A ";" SO WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE CRASH SITE THE ENDING WILL NEVER COME! I can't upload the fixed one at the moment but i will as soon as i can!

***PLEASE READ***

Don't be rude, as I said above this is my very first mission, I know you may find it boring, seriously, it's nothing special.

Thanks for the feedback and thanks for playing it.

Download(WITH THE FOURTH MISSION OF THE CAMPAIGN! :) I uploaded it because I'd like to know how I can improve that ending.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5qdcf6e4583gomn/unnamed.rar(New version)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z6m2fkjqy81if20/mission2%2C4.rar(Old version)

Defensive start [bETA] (OLD VERSION! WILL UPDATE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!)

-Added briefing at mission start (To newbies like me, if it doesn't apperat in the preview just create a blank briefing.html in your mission folder and press shit + preview)

-Updated map

-Improved LAVs movement, so if the enemies hide somewhere they should be able to find them

-Improved performance (On the first wave I removed about 2-3 groups of enemies and on the last one i removed 2)

-Better loading screen(Thanks to kylania!)

Things I will change/add later:

I will improve AI movements and try to remove teleports.

Custom gear in briefing, we all love it, don't we?

Installation:

Go to the ArmA folder (inside SteamApps) and go in the mission folder, put the pbo file there.

Thanks again guys :)

Edited by Holden93

I wont be rude buddy lol. I will try and play this tonight and give you some feedback.

Couple of things:

1. You say briefing.sqs, don't you mean briefing.sqf?

2. Regarding the enemy, how are you spawning them? Are they already on the map at the start? How are you "teleporting" them?

3. Enemy objectives. How about setting them a waypoint and set it to "Seek and Destroy"?

And trust me buddy, it aint boring if your asking for help, I do it all the time!! :)

1. Yep, I meant .sqf, my bad

2. I created "waves" of enemies, once the first wave is defeated you will need to fall back and when you'll be in position they will teleport to your old position, just go where the marker is placed, near the wounded and when the dialog will start the enemies will be in position. EDIT:I forgot to reply on the last part :p yes, they're already on the map, I used "unitName setPos (GetMarkerPos "markername")

3. Good idea, I'll activate the waypoint with a trigger, I'll do it as soon as I can play.

Thanks for the tips and let me know if you find something weird!

Edited by Holden93

New version :)

EDIT:I don't know if it's possible in ArmA 3 to put equipment in the briefing, been trying for an hour yet it doesn't work, weird.

Edited by Holden93

New version with another mission of the campaign!

New version :)

EDIT:I don't know if it's possible in ArmA 3 to put equipment in the briefing, been trying for an hour yet it doesn't work, weird.

Not possible for now.

I'd suggest looking through the Mission Presentation wiki to clean up some stuff.

Also mission 2.1 was super laggy, virtually unplayable for me. 160 some units all active immediately was a bit much. I never even fired a shot since I could barely move. Then I just ran back to where the injured guy was and tried to make sense of who was who and who was talking then I apparently won. I wouldn't mix titleText and sideChat, pick one or the other or make sure both won't happen at the same time. A good start, but needs a lot of polish. :)

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it! I used sideChat for radio conversation, but I will see what I can do and I'll remove enemy units soon!

I haven't had a chance to try this yet, but you might want to put version numbers here, so we can easily see when it's been updated. Just a thought.