mankyle

Big PHYSx compatible ship. LCS 2 technological demonstrator

EDIT: 11/02/2014

New version of the addon.

So now:

- Upgraded GEO and Textures

- Added two working 30 mm Mk 46 turrets to the ship.

- 4 PIP screens working

- Added more details like corridors and bridge.

- Added light emitting materials to lamps (Textures not done yet)

- Added position lights

https://www.mediafire.com/?4kw2i114qinr4qm

127399C2ED3361FF0E328C8B563370DD3452845D

067C3F3262AD903C1914DDFBCABF002DA4AD91A0

Edited by mankyle

Thanks mankyle! This will come in very handy!

It's great mankyle, I just try it quickly. One question, is it possible to avoid any vehicle movement when you're moving the boat? The helicopter seems to move slowly and then fall into the sea.

It's great mankyle, I just try it quickly. One question, is it possible to avoid any vehicle movement when you're moving the boat? The helicopter seems to move slowly and then fall into the sea.

No, unfortunately not. I have put a lot of effort in this and this is the best I have achieved. There are still a lot of limitations in PHYSx. Try with a car and the car won't move along with the ship. We are in the right way but not quite there yet

cannot Binarise or it crashes the game ,

i think its progress but new tools needed to progress , thanks for your time and good writings in editing section

i think the clue is in the friction properties of the

class PhysXMaterials

here you wil find friction properties for friction and restitution etc of different contacts and things , i havent looked too deep myself

Edited by Thromp

No, unfortunately not. I have put a lot of effort in this and this is the best I have achieved. There are still a lot of limitations in PHYSx. Try with a car and the car won't move along with the ship. We are in the right way but not quite there yet

Ok, maybe it's possible to "attach" the vehicle to the boat and release it once you want to use it.

Anyway you did a great job and a lot of modder will be happy with your work!

Attaching is so clunky. We shouldn't have to hack it like that. As Thromp says perhaps really imcreasing the friction is the way to go.

Thanks mankyle !

Been playing with it and improving the visuals .... but getting the thing to turn properly is a battle .....

Ok, maybe it's possible to "attach" the vehicle to the boat and release it once you want to use it.

I thought the whole idea is to leave all this cheap bypasses to the past.

Time for a new era imo

Gnat;2436191']Thanks mankyle !

Been playing with it and improving the visuals .... but getting the thing to turn properly is a battle .....

I have another version with better textures. The thingy with turning is that when modifying the turning value the ship inclines and the helicopters fall. I agree that the PHYSx materials are probably the key for this.

Next thing I wanted to add was a NLOS missile based artillery system. I had a preliminary code using the submunition class but it would still require a lot of work.

If the people wants I can keep working on this.

Attaching is so clunky. We shouldn't have to hack it like that. As Thromp says perhaps really imcreasing the friction is the way to go.
US combatant ships use the RAST system, so in effect helicopters are are actually 'attached' to the deck.

"Shipboard landing for some helicopters is assisted though use of a haul-down device that involves attachment of a cable to a probe on the bottom of the aircraft prior to landing. Tension is maintained on the cable as the helicopter descends, assisting the pilot with accurate positioning of the aircraft on the deck; once on deck locking beams close on the probe, locking the aircraft to the flight deck. This device was pioneered by the Royal Canadian Navy and was called "Beartrap". The U.S. Navy implementation of this device, based on Beartrap, is called the "RAST" system (for Recovery Assist, Secure and Traverse) and is an integral part of the LAMPS Mk III (SH-60B) weapons system."

Awesome work so far. Is this multiplayer friendly, maybe it will also be useful to submit a ticket on the tracker asking for the changes?

I thought the whole idea is to leave all this cheap bypasses to the past.

Time for a new era imo

The attach system is still a vital function. You land the helicopter on the ship, then once you're firmly on the deck, if you intend to stay aboard, you go to the action menu and click "Tie down the aircraft" (or whatever you name it) and then attachTo locks it in place just like the winches and chains would in real life.

If you landed a helicopter onto the back of a moving ship in even kind of rough seas, and you didn't tie that puppy down, she would slide around the deck (potentially killing or injuring crewmembers) and eventually might even be bucked off if the ship hits a particularly nasty wave.

C'mon people, think about it before saying stuff like we don't need attachTo.

AttachTo for choppers is easy

I've already done all this stuff on my A2 FSF ......

While theres now (A2 vs. A3) a little friction between choppers and deck, theres unfortunately no friction between man and deck.

Until thats fixed, functionality is barely worth the effort.

@Darkhorse 1-6

Yes i know..but the ultimate goal is to have people walking or vehicles driven in a already moving ship.

Of course you have to use attachTo to some things..but not the widely way it is currently used.

*other example is transport vehicles/cargo with a chopper or towing other vehicles with your vehicle.

The 'only-available-way' via 'attachTo' is hilarious to say the least-and don't belong to a game on 2000+

PhyX even on my a$$ i would say..

... the old 60 meter GEO LOD limit is still there, but only for man class...

QUESTION - could this be fixed by making a series of "tiles" that are for example 10m long vs. one large 60m tile? The end result is that there would be many blocks in the GEO Lod but they would all be small enough for a Man class.

No, it is not a limit of one component of the GEO LOD. It is a hardcoded limit of the ENTIRE GEO LOD.

What it is strange is that this limit only applies to class man and its derivatives.

Please guyz.

Someone who can clearly describe the problem-make a ticket related to geo-lod restrictions related with any other then Vehicle class .

I have to say, this is pretty cool to think of the possibilities this presents. Still some challenges but the modding community will figure those things out if BIS does not. Played with it on Diaoyu and had some fun. Can't wait to do full scale Naval invasions and combat with big ships like this. Nice work. :)

Please guyz.

Someone who can clearly describe the problem-make a ticket related to geo-lod restrictions related with any other then Vehicle class .

+ 1 so we can vote on it and hopefully get it sorted.