Sign in to follow this  
mrcash2009

[SP] Operation Ghost Recon [Lingor]

What do you think about patrols in this mission?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about patrols in this mission?

• Just enough
    • Not enough
    • Too much

oe18.jpg

OPERATION GHOST RECON [LINGOR]

Infiltrate, destroy, capture, extract.

Mission Type: Single player stealth mission.

Authors: MrCash2009

Latest Version: 1.2 (07/07/2013)

DOWNLOAD V1.2 UPDATE:

** hotfix link update for sqf missing error as of 8/7/2013 **

news_download_a2_4.png

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=21392

Alternate mirrors:

http://www.multiupload.nl/DLG41MT2JZ

(Pick your fileshare - MIRRORS WELCOMED)

CHANGELOG:

V1.2 - (7/7/2013)

- "LoneWolf" start option added as per Original Ghost Recon (Solo, no team) sidechat dialogue reflects this

- Boat patrols added

- Extra help items added to move around inaccessible areas (wont say what or where)

- OGR music tracks added on dialogue menu and extra start events music

- Extra OGR music added to reflect end conditions win/fail

- Set mission so items wont be dropped while swimming to give more approach options

- Certain south west start spawn positions moved nearer to objectives (seemed a little too far away)

- Small fire light additions added as helpers when starting in low moon conditions (low moon=less easy/darker conditions using NV)

- Random flight ambience changed with radius & more random times, could be heard while un spawning with soundmods (JSRS)

- Radio comms audio for sidechat changed to be a bit clearer

- Extra sprinkling of ambient 'lived in look' items in certain building locations

- Colour filter added to daytime only

- As well as team medic, you as leader are now also medic for healing purposes esp for Lonewolf option

- Ammo amounts increased more for balance

- Various script updates to make mission init more reliable incl unit missing from group on start

- No more mass chicken clucking at dialogue menu (broadcast of all animal sounds when in camera - BIS bug) :)

- Mission complete at missions menu was missing and added

- Having to load mag on mission start fixed

- Outstanding RPT errors quashed

1. You cant arm hostages, you just need to get them out safe as best you can

2. When you experience "dark nightvision" its under the conditions of no moon and clear sky/no overcast (weather is random also as regards this). Its not bug but a condition that has to be worked with to play :)

3. If you want to jumble things on start try different options and simply re run the dialogue to re randomise if you happen to get a repeat.

V1.1 -

- Increased the patrol size overall in all parts of the mission, more tighter patrols in some areas which maybe more challenging, requires feedback.

- Stationary guards may exist in certain areas (random).

- Added better visual/audio ambience "lived in" look for rebel areas and camps with extra sounds, animals, scattered storage items to feel more alive and less sparse.

- Lessened the possibility amount of rebels with NV kit due to patrol changes, for balance.

- Fixed some problems with patrols not moving.

- Added extra mags to Ghost team due to raising patrol sizes of rebels for balance.

- Fixed possible save/revert UPSMON error.

- Night filter removed so vanilla NV isnt too dark.

- Minor adjustments on scripts.

V1.0 - First release.

REQUIREMENTS:

Arma2/OA (CO) Patched to V1.62

CBA - http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6231

Lingor Island V1.5 - http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=10792

Recommended mods to play with mission but not required:

JSRS 1.5 Soundmod - http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=11549

ASR_AI - http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=12105

INSTALLATION:

Copy the mission file "OPERATION_GHOST_RECON1.lingor.pbo" to your "missions" folder in your game install for Arma2.

THE MISSION (AS PER BRIEFING):

Ghost Recon special operations team have been called to the Lingor region to assist local officials in tracking down captured British hostages hidden in the region. Officials are increasingly concerned, this entire situation is adding more pressure between British and Lingor ties with both parties embroiled in a long standing diplomatic standoff.

The hostage Intel has been passed over and listed as follows:

Terry Waite (White Caucasian) - Alan Johnston (White Caucasian).

Civilian rebels are known to be a part of the operation involved in taking these hostages, and it isn't the first time. These locals are a rag tag group that are becoming an increasing problem with the influx of arms and armour sales through the black market on the island. Its known this group harbour AK weapons and armour, in what capacity we are unsure right now, and that’s where you come in.

We need to establish what they have in terms of armour and weapons and put them out of action. The most important of all is finding the location of the hostages and getting them out safe.

DETAILS:

Personal notes:

This idea was fleshed out from a personal scenario where I wanted to bring back the feeling of a Ghost Recon mission named "The Farm" in OGR1. This is a take on that theme of hostage rescue at night which expanded into a larger operations area and then added too with some more random events and additions.

This mission is for people who prefer longer stealth type SP game play using cover, a lot of recon/map marking & searching (with a large mug of tea while playing), and of course were a fan of these types of missions in the original Ghost Recon. If that doesn't seem your thing this mission wont be for you :)

Mission end only occurs if you as the leader get killed (which is realistic in my book, if your personally dead its always game over just like real life). Mission will not end on failing objectives as I find that to be annoying with an open mission, as far as I see it no missions "ends" you just have an outcome from it and try to get done what you can as best you can.

The main idea is to have it open enough to retry different approaches (random start and random objective locations change each time) and see what the outcome will be, options at mission start will help on changing the situation around on the next try. Ive made it so its down to the player to have discipline on what to do and how you do it, just dont get killed!

This is a night (day time has been added as optional to try things without the cover of night) infiltration, destroy, capture & extract mission based on the original Ghost Recon style (NOTE: it has no relation to any other Ghost Recon missions or mods released for Arma2, just my own take on the theme).

FEATURES: Random insertion & island location, random events (to be expanded on in updates), random objective placement per play through, random patrols, random UI texts, use of authentic Ghost Recon audio sounds, open mission approach ... oh and not to forget .. random.

On mission start you will be presented with a dialogue menu, select your start location (north or south of the island), start time (day or night), team size and then continue.

kp3k.jpg

Once the mission is loaded go to your map and check your objectives straight away. Most important is to check your "NOTES" and especially "HINTS AND TIPS" this covers everything you will need to know about the mission and things to look out for. Mission objectives, mission details are all found in the same place.

klos.jpg

6jkj.jpg

KNOWN ISSUES:

- Custom sounds on mission start or restart can (sometimes) be loud, DB values have been set but I cant seem to control it at the moment.

- Enemy patrols are current not a mission objective & boats are set as friendly (the crew are enemy) will fix soon and set as side objective.

FUTURE UPDATES:

New location setting & objectives for the east island location (introduced in Lingor V1.5 update).

Additional sprinkling of random events and side objectives.

More script tidying and any fixes as things get spotted/reported and fixes of known issues listed.

CREDITS:

Following thanks to those who helped on scripting questions (still learning) or scripts used in this mission/sounds etc:

Bohemia Interactive

Red Storm Entertainment

F2k Sel

PlacidPaul

Shuko

Monsada

Falcon/tpw

Nettrucker (testing & feedback)

Edited by mrcash2009
V1.2 hotfix sqf file missing error fixed & link added

Downloaded and installed everything, even the recommended mods. Really well done! I only played for a short time (it's almost 0230 here), but it felt very Ghost Recon like. You even have the voice of Ghost Recon saying "Stay Frosty," Going to Night Vision" and etc..., Thanks! As someone who still plays the original Ghost Recon from time to time, I really appreciate this!

Great Island. Excellent mission. Thanks very much!

BTW would it be difficult to convert this to COOP?

Nice mission. Enjoyed!

Nice Ghost Recon feel to it

Just a few things:

1. Needs more patrols.

2. I've used the Hostage script in one of my missions. For some reason in yours, after Untying and Letting Go of hostages, player resumes a very slow walk speed.

I don't know why. I still like that script a lot though.

3. Perhaps more Ghost Recon Music?

4. Villages need more ambience. Too empty. Need to look like they were lived in like water bottles, fuel tanks, wrecks......I think you know what I mean.

Hi,

An Armahoholic mirror has been added to download in the first post.

Downloaded and installed everything, even the recommended mods. Really well done!

Thanks I hope you enjoy it. It does come from an avid single play player and I was obsessed with Ghost Recon when it was released :) I was trying to get back some of that feeling with it, it was OGR that got me into the bug of taking time and observing, one my first times online with a game was The Farm and it stuck out and played it over and over.

BTW when I have time to get back to this the east island added by Lingor 1.5 will be a place to have 'The Farm' mission that will be based on that mission entirely (or nearest it can be with additions).

BTW would it be difficult to convert this to COOP?

Not for someone who is a scripter, when I started to build on this mission I knew hardly anything about scripting and I have never looked at how you even get a mission into MP so im sorry but its just out of my learning and I needed to ship this out now as my window of time (learning as your trying to make it seems never ending with allot of frustrations) has run out for now. If anyone wanted to offer to get it in shape for COOP then let me know as I wouldn't be able to do this myself. It may be simple it might not but I wont have the time at the moment ;)

Please feel free to post any feedback or anything bugged, I have played the situation out and tested many many different ways to make sure there's no real bugs but you never know.

1. Needs more patrols.

Im glad you posted this, I was trying to make this so approach was steady and not overkill with zones I can add more patrols no problem, also to note not all have NV so you can get more up close and personal, its not the main focus to kill enemy, having said that some also do have NV so you have to watch out on approach.

IF ANYONE ELSE READS THIS HOW DO YOU FIND IT FOR PATROLS, NOT ENOUGH TOO MUCH, JUST RIGHT?

2. I've used the Hostage script in one of my missions. For some reason in yours, after Untying and Letting Go of hostages, player resumes a very slow walk speed.

Mate you will not know how much the capture behaviour pissed me off! Trying to find something that would work without to many bugs and weird capture behaviour. If you check the HINT & TIPS section in your objectives/notes I have stated everything to do to get this to work better while playing.

Heres the details for hostages from the briefing:

3. Hostage Capture - IMPORTANT

Requires walking up to a hostage and checking your action menu option for UNTIE HOSTAGE and selecting this. Once this happens the hostage becomes part of your group and he will attach himself to you so you can guide him out. Before anything else select the hostage from the unit list and set him to STOP, after this simply walk to an open clear area and then select from the action menu RELEASE HOSTAGE for him to detach from you. Once hes detached and you feel its safe enough to do so, set hostage to STANDUP and then CROUCHED (in that order) to force him to crouch while moving, after that control them like normal units as you see fit.

All of this helps otherwise you may find issues (sorry but its odd Arma2 capture behaviour im afraid).

All hostages have a yellow dot marker to track their movements in case you loose sight of them.

Also note that as I know this doesn't work in your favour becuase of standing the hostage isn't a known threat until you release him *hint*. So that time taken to sort him out in the open can be done before release. Also my expereice is the hostages try to run like hell with fleeing off ... and that's vanilla game no mods, so I had to strike some balance to work it ... hints and tips and briefing cover all of it.

3. Perhaps more Ghost Recon Music?

I didnt want to bloat the download with too many large audio files for now. Also most of the OGR music is more "menu music" and there isn't much to set the mood in game.

4. Villages need more ambience. Too empty. Need to look like they were lived in like water bottles, fuel tanks, wrecks......I think you know what I mean.

Good point, I can pepper the areas with some fixed items, most of the time was spent getting the thing to work so I can now spend a bit more time adding those for udpate.

I wanted some feedback for this as release version anyway so anything else then please post. This was just the backbone release and then I can settle in and tinker and add more things to polish.

Edited by mrcash2009

I have added a poll in the thread about patrols on this mission, I will leave it for a few days and please post feedback on the question. I wont be able to edit anything for about a week or so now, that will give it time.

when save the game i have the file upsmon.sfq file not found...

---------- Post added at 12:09 ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 ----------

and night vision are very very dark.....

V1.1 update added in first post -

- Increased the patrol size overall in all parts of the mission, more tighter patrols in some areas which maybe more challenging, requires feedback.

- Stationary guards may exist in certain areas (random).

- Added better visual/audio ambience "lived in" look for rebel areas and camps with extra sounds, animals, scattered storage items to feel more alive and less sparse.

- Lessened the possibility amount of rebels with NV kit due to patrol changes, for balance.

- Fixed some problems with patrols not moving.

- Added extra mags to Ghost team due to raising patrol sizes of rebels for balance.

- Fixed possible save/revert UPSMON error.

- Night filter removed so vanilla NV isnt too dark.

- Minor adjustments on scripts.

when save the game i have the file upsmon.sfq file not found...

EDIT: I just checked the upsmon files I see a location error, should be fixed and added to 1.1 update, link in first post now, thanks for posting I missed that ;) Let me know if it happens again, fingers crossed all upsmon files are linked correctly now.

Night vision is always crappy in this game, I added a night filter to add more depth becuase vanilla NV is too bright at times. I would suggest changing your gamma setting and see how you go. I can remove the filter but without it NV is like a spot light to everything.

EDIT ... I removed the night filter for those with vanilla NV, see how that is.

Edited by mrcash2009

LOl just starting testing the 1.0 version without having seen the new updated one. Already downloaded now I retry with the new version. I'm not very far into the mission just started to take on the first objective. After action report will follow when I'm done.

cheers

Just to add, let me know the difference on patrols, v1.0 still listed in the first post in spoiler with original patrols and now extra added in 1.1 so the big question is, is it too much or not, the poll is still open for people to feedback on that. I wont be able to edit now for deff for a week or more so that will give time to get any feedback.

Can't tell for the time being being . . . I made it to the area of the weapons cache undetected so far. But I've seen 3 or 4 patrols in the area could avoid them though and remain undetected. Need to play the new version to get an idea.

Im trying to find a happy medium of being able to get up close (less use of NV for rebels), and also having the player time it right. It comes down to how you use your team and using yourself to do the searching main parts, using team as scouts almost. One things for sure that I set them to hold fire/stealth at start to make a point, keep them hold fire for as long as possible and only open them when needed and shut them down again to hold fire! :)

I did test it earlier and I was detected but the combination of no NV adds to some cool moments of staying prone and having knowsabout units go past very close. What I dont want is to find that your just getting caught out no matter what, so thats where my question of patrol amounts Vs getting job done comes in for feedback. V1.0 is how I assumed it should be, V1.1 is how I think it might be better and less easier ... so its based around that. Although if player is just running around and not controlling team, expect to get it in the face.

Im mainly refering to hostage search tasks/patrols, thats where it can be tricky.

The recon part is to check the patrols, see where they go, do they have NV or not (to get closer or just avoid anyway), mission start is random who gets NV. the main point is to accomplish objectives and no so much go on a killing spree for the sake of it only if its a direct threat.

Edited by mrcash2009

for me, night vision is too dark also in 1.1

and i have started 3 or 4 time the mission and the start location is the same... where is the random feature??

---------- Post added at 10:00 ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 ----------

and for me the error for th efile upsmon.sfq is present in the 1.1

V1.1 mirror added to Armaholic, added to first post.

@Teoloe ... As regards random, its random, so its a random chance to play in 5 or so different places per island location (I think its 4 in NE) so retry may or may not repeat, luck of the draw. If that's an issue then try a different location instead. I may devise a more fixed percentage chance later but every time I try it repeats rarely, and trust me I had to test this hundreds of times, its not a mission where random will be obvious all the time, different things randomise per play.

As regards the upsmon error, I fixed a link problem in one of its files and re upped 1.1 the pbo should be called "OPERATION_GHOST_RECON11.lingor.pbo" for 1.1 check you have that and your starting fresh and then saving new. Also there was a short time as you posted yesterday that I added 1.1 without the UPSMON fix and then re upped the quick fix, so re download it again from first post, delete your old pbos, install again and play. I tested it last night and played for 40 mins with 5 saves, all reverted fine in game and via exiting game, loading back again and continuing just to make sure. I just extracted the pbo and re checked and all is set correctly.

As regards night vision, nothing I can help with, Its tested cba/vanilla Arma2 and NV is darker with filter and 1.1 removed and now NV on test is normal and under all conditions its bright as normal ... I think you either have a mod or your contrast settings need adjusting.

Edited by mrcash2009

Not the game, just the mission file! :)

To explain, theres a random start chance of conditions being high moon or no moon, no moon doesn't have extra light cast from the moon itself which means everything including NV is darker. Its another angle set for extra condition to change the mission. In an update Im adding some extra light sources for no moon conditions to help but its supposed to add some extra challenge. You have a light (Y key) if needed to help but use it sparingly as AI react with light sources.

When I encounter a patrol vehicle and kill everyone on the map, it says on the map "Destroy Patrol Vehicle" but I have no way to destroy it? Still really enjoying this mission! Version 1.1 has the perfect amount of patrols.

I think it might just mean I destroyed the patrol vehicle as in there's no one left alive to operate it? However, I now have satchel charges so I could go back and destroy the patrol vehicle.

Edited by RagingLoon

When I encounter a patrol vehicle and kill everyone on the map, it says on the map "Destroy Patrol Vehicle" but I have no way to destroy it? Still really enjoying this mission! Version 1.1 has the perfect amount of patrols.

I think it might just mean I destroyed the patrol vehicle as in there's no one left alive to operate it? However, I now have satchel charges so I could go back and destroy the patrol vehicle.

Once, the patrol vehicle drove way too far out into the river and "died out" so that was considered a "kill" for me.....

Okay, I went back with a satchel charge and blew up the patrol vehicle and it was something I had to do. So far I made it to the point where you reply back to HQ and I have to say this mission rocks! But I'm restarting the mission from scratch because, one my guys lost his gear in the drink. I shouldn't have taken them for a swim anyhow.

Hello cash

a great stealth mission this is. It portraits the old GR1 perfectly. I had tons of fun playing it.

The random starting location adds replay value to this mission.

Happened a couple of times to run into the spawn bug but it's nothing really serious. I've played version 1.1 and voted that in this version the patrols were just about enough. I was risking to run out of ammo just dealing with the current quantities of patrols present. LOL

The mission concept is laid out very well and it's really fun to recon the AO without getting detected. I guess that you have taken some time to establish where to place the action and the enemy units. The terrain dictates, in this version, most of the time the route to your objectives. Given the fact that in version 1.1 you loosing gear if you go for a swim and the AO is located in a region with a lot of lakes, limits the possibility of different approach routes to your objectives. As a matter of fact I took time to recon the area properly only to find out that I had to go trough Aguado and there was no way around that.

I know that the next update is on the way which fixes some of the above mentioned.

Overall this is a very good stealth mission, looking forward to the next update and can recommend this to everyone.

thanks for making this mission and sharing

cheers

Hi, thanks for your feedback it helped allot .. V1.2 update added in the first post :)

V1.2 - (7/7/2013)

- "LoneWolf" start option added as per Original Ghost Recon (Solo, no team) sidechat dialogue reflects this

- Boat patrols added

- Extra help items added to move around inaccessible areas (wont say what or where)

- OGR music tracks added on dialogue menu and extra start events music

- Extra OGR music added to reflect end conditions win/fail

- Set mission so items wont be dropped while swimming to give more approach options

- Certain south west start spawn positions moved nearer to objectives (seemed a little too far away)

- Small fire light additions added as helpers when starting in low moon conditions (low moon=less easy/darker conditions using NV)

- Random flight ambience changed with radius & more random times, could be heard while un spawning with soundmods (JSRS)

- Radio comms audio for sidechat changed to be a bit clearer

- Extra sprinkling of ambient 'lived in look' items in certain building locations

- Colour filter added to daytime only

- As well as team medic, you as leader are now also medic for healing purposes esp for Lonewolf option

- Ammo amounts increased more for balance

- Various script updates to make mission init more reliable incl unit missing from group on start

- No more mass chicken clucking at dialogue menu (broadcast of all animal sounds when in camera - BIS bug) :)

- Mission complete at missions menu was missing and added

- Having to load mag on mission start fixed

- Outstanding RPT errors quashed

Extra notes:

1. You cant arm hostages, you just need to get them out safe as best you can

2. When you experience "dark nightvision" its under the conditions of no moon and clear sky/no overcast (weather is random also as regards this). Its not bug but a condition that has to be worked with to play :)

3. If you want to jumble things on start try different options and simply re run the dialogue to re randomise if you happen to get a repeat.

Thanks again NT for your feedback, still would like more on this update. Next update will be a while now but east island and new objectives will be the focus with a few easter eggs when I get back to it in a few weeks :)

---------- Post added at 15:40 ---------- Previous post was at 15:08 ----------

Once, the patrol vehicle drove way too far out into the river and "died out" so that was considered a "kill" for me.....

I have had this, I cant see a way to avoid some of those most random moments that happen, dead is dead no matter the way to do it I guess! :)

But I'm restarting the mission from scratch because, one my guys lost his gear in the drink. I shouldn't have taken them for a swim anyhow.

The latest update has that set so it wont happen, anything to make it so you have as many approach options as you can. I dont want this to be a rail scripted mission as much as I can help it so now you have other ways. im trying to strike a balance with leaving it open to player, not making it stupidly difficult unless you try to by start options for example now "lonewolf" 1 man. In later updates I will flesh out lone-wolf as its own mission/mode too but those big things I have no time for yet, but I will keep working on it.

Also OGR had "Tango hunt" missions which was simply hunting enemies so I want a mode like that too, so everything other than the objectives to go around sneak attacks and kill as you wish.

Edited by mrcash2009

Hotfix for sqf file missing error, link added to fist post, if you downloaded 1.2 before this post re grab it again, the error wont effect the mission but would be annoying, just a debug script ref I didn't remove before posting the pbo :o

Edited by mrcash2009

Hotfix for sqf file missing error, link added to fist post, if you downloaded 1.2 before this post re grab it again, the error wont effect the mission but would be annoying, just a debug script ref I didn't remove before posting the pbo :o

hi

downloaded the new version will report back asap

cheers