ProfTournesol

Franco Prussian War Mod - Work In Progress

fpwbanner.gif

I've been working on a Franco Prussian War Mod for OFP / ArmA : CWA.

First, a little historical summary (Source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franco-Prussian_War, http://www.wfgamers.org.uk/), as it's better than my poor English skills could have done :)

Franco Prussian war historical background :

The Franco–Prussian War or Franco–German War tool place between 19 July 1870 and 10 May 1871.

The Franco-Prussian War was the most important conflict fought in Europe between the time of the Napoleonic Wars (which i modded, a long time ago) and the First World War (which i modded too, more recently), ending with the complete victory of Prussia and its allies.

In France, it causes the downfall of Napoleon III and the end of the Second French Empire, which were replaced by the French Third Republic.

On the German side, the consequence was the unification of Germany into an empire in its own right.

However, as France’s determination to regain Alsace-Lorraine was strong, those events are considered a precursor to World War I, as a result of which France would recover its lost lands in the Treaty of Versailles.

Opposing forces :

The French Army comprised approximately 400,000 regular soldiers, some of them veterans of previous French campaigns in the Crimean War, Algeria, the Franco–Austrian War in Italy, and in the Franco–Mexican War.

Generally the quality of the Imperial French army was high, while that of the Republican army was low but very variable.

The Imperial Guard should be rated as elite. The Chasseurs, the 'African' troops (Turcos and Zouave) and the cavalry should be rated as crack. While the rest of the field army are veteran.

For the 'Republican' period the remnants of the Imperial army should follow the guidelines above, with units such as the marines, sailors and the foreign legion counting as crack. The new units raised by the republic were generally bad and should be mostly uneducated levy (Mobile guard and irregulars).

The Prussian Army was composed not of regulars but conscripts. Service was compulsory for all of the men of military age, and thus Prussia and its North and South German allies could mobilise and field some 1.2 million soldiers in time of war.

The bulk of the German forces should be rated as Veteran with the following exceptions. Guard units should be rated as Crack or Elite, while Jagers should be Crack. Bavarian, Wurttemberg and Baden (the south German) line units was not very committed. Landwehr units should similarly be considered, even if they are much more educated reserve than their French counterparts.

Finally German cavalry was not of the highest standard and should be average or below. The exception to this was the Saxon cavalry, which was above average and should be rated as Crack.

Weaponry :

One the French side, the infantry were equipped with the breech-loading Chassepot rifle, one of the most modern firearms in the world at the time, it had a maximum effective range of some 1,500 metres (4,900 ft) with a short reloading time. On the Prussian side, the army was still equipped with the "needle-gun" Dreyse rifle, which was by this time showing the age of its 25 year old design.

The French artillery was equipped with rifled, muzzle-loaded "4-pounder" guns. In addition, the army was equipped with a precursor to the machine-gun: the mitrailleuse, which could unleash significant, dangerous, concentrated firepower, with a weakness of having short range and relative immobility and thus prone to being easily overrun. It was developed in such secrecy, however, that no real training with the weapon was effected, and French gunners had no practical experience using it in combat. It was therefore treated like a piece of artillery, and in this role it was ineffective.

On the Prussian side, the deficiencies of the needle-gun were more than compensated for by the famous Krupp 6-pounder (3 kg) steel breech-loading cannons being issued to Prussian artillery batteries. The Krupp gun had a range of 4,500 metres (14,800 ft) and blistering rate of fire compared to the French bronze muzzle loading cannon.

Strategy :

French tactics emphasised the defensive use of the Chassepot rifle in trench-warfare style fighting ; German tactics emphasised encirclement battles and using artillery offensively whenever possible.

Leadership :

The French army was nominally led by Napoleon III with Marshals Francois Achille Bazaine, Patrice de Mac-Mahon, and Jules Trochu among others.

The Prussian army was commanded by Field-Marshal Helmuth von Moltke and the Prussian General Staff. The Prussian army was unique in Europe for having the only General Staff in existence, whose sole purpose was to direct operational movement, organise logistics and communications, and develop the overall war strategy.

Summary of military events :

"Imperial" part of the war

The efficiency of German mobilization contrasted with confusion and delay on the French side. Germany was able to deliver 380,000 troops to the forward zone within 18 days of the start of mobilization on 14 July, while many French units reached the front either late or with inadequate supplies. The German and French armies that then confronted each other were both grouped into right and left wings. After suffering a check by the Crown Prince and General von Blumenthal at the Battle of Wörth on 6 August 1870, the commander of the French right (south) wing, Marshal Patrice MacMahon, retreated westward. That same day, about 40 miles (64 km) to the northwest, the commander of the French left wing, Marshal Achille Bazaine, was dislodged from near Saarbrücken and fell back westward to the fortress of Metz. His further retreat was checked by the German right wing in two blundering battles on 16 and 18 August, respectively (the Battles of Mars-la-Tour and Gravelotte), and he then took refuge behind the defenses of Metz until forced by starvation to surrender on 29 October.

The French right wing, commanded by MacMahon and accompanied by Napoleon III himself, attempted to relieve Bazaine but was itself surrounded and trapped by the Germans in the disastrous Battle of Sedan on 31 August. Encircled, the 83,000 French troops with Napoleon III and MacMahon surrendered on 2 September. Since Bazaine's army was still bottled up in Metz, the result of the war was virtually decided by this surrender.

"Republican" part of the war

Yet this did not end the war, as the Third Republic was declared in Paris on 4 September 1870 and French resistance continued under the Government of National Defence and Adolphe Thiers. Over a five-month campaign, the German forces defeated the newly recruited French armies in a series of battles fought across northern France. Following a prolonged siege, noted for the first use of anti-air artillery, Paris fell on 28 January 1871. Ten days before the fall of the city, the German states proclaimed their union as the German Empire under the Prussian king, Wilhelm I, uniting Germany as a nation-state. During the time of the Paris Commune uprising, the final Treaty of Frankfurt was signed 10 May 1871. The settlement gave Prussia the French territories of Alsace and part of Lorraine to become part of the new Germany.

Factors resulting in German victory :

General Staff system

The Prussian General Staff developed by Moltke proved to be extremely effective, in contrast to the traditional French school. The structure also greatly strengthened Moltke's ability to control large formations spread out over significant distances. The French General Staff—along with those of every other European military—was little better than a collection of assistants for the line commanders. This disorganization hampered the French commanders' ability to exercise control of their forces.

Universal conscription

Two major reforms substantially increased the military power of Germany. The first was a reorganization of the army that integrated the regular army and the Landwehr reserves. The second was the provision for the conscription of every male Prussian of military age in the event of mobilization. Thus, despite the population of France being greater than the population of all of the German states that participated in the war, the Germans mobilized more soldiers for battle.

Mobilization system

At the outset of the Franco–Prussian War, 462,000 German soldiers concentrated flawlessly on the French frontier while only 270,000 French soldiers could be moved to face them, the French army having lost 100,000 stragglers before a shot was fired through poor planning and administration.

Armaments

The French breech-loading rifle, the Chassepot, had a far longer range than the German Dreyse needle gun; 1,600 yards (1,500 m) compared to 600 yd (550 m). They also possessed an early machine-gun type weapon, the mitrailleuse, which could fire its twenty-five barrels at a range of around 2,000 yd (1,800 m). The French were equipped with bronze, rifled muzzle-loading artillery, while the Prussians used new steel breech-loading guns. The breech-loaders had a far longer range that the muzzle-loading guns, and could be fired faster.

Some of the mod WIP content :

Prussian Line Infantry :

Line, light (Jaeger), Reserve (Landwehr) :

fpwprussianline.jpg

Prussian Guard Infantry :

Guard, Light (Guard Schutzen), Reserve (Guard Landwehr) :

fpwprussianguard1.jpg

Prussian Cavalry :

Cuirassier, Uhlan, Hussar, Dragoon :

fpwprussiancav.jpg

Prussian Artillery :

Guard and line artillerists, Krupp breachloading canon and caisson :

fpwprussianart1.jpg

Harnessed caissons, officer :

fpwprussianart2.jpg

Bavarian and Wurttemberger Infantry :

Line and light soldiers :

fpwbavwurt1.jpg

Edited by ProfTournesol

French line infantry :

Line, light (chasseurs) :

fpwfrenchline.jpg

French Zouaves and Turcos :

fpwfrenchzouave.jpg

French Guard Infantry :

Grenadier, Voltigeur, Chasseur, Zouave :

fpwfrenchguard1.jpg

French Marines and sailors :

fpwfrenchmarine.jpg

French Irregulars :

Pontifical zouaves, irregular militia :

fpwfrenchirreg.jpg

French Cavalry :

Cuirassier, Hussar, Horse chasseur, African chasseur, Lancer, Dragoon, Gendarme :

fpwfrenchcav.jpg

French Artillery :

Line and Guard Artillery, 4 pndr canon, Reffye Mitrailleuse and caisson :

fpwfrenchart1g.jpg

Harnessed caisson and officer :

fpwfrenchart2.jpg

That is a lot of content already! looks really well done :)

Do you do all this by yourself?

Lovely work there Professor.As usual. :)

Thanks, that's nice :)

That is a lot of content already! looks really well done :)

Do you do all this by yourself?

Yep, a lot of content (everything isn't shown here). Yes, i'm on my own with some gifts (thanks to JdB and Gavin for the permission to use the model and texture of the French canon and of the Spencer / Sharp rifles).

Well, well, well...

He's back!

Yes, sometimes i think i'm a little crazy but as long as i'm having fun with it :)

Some ingame pictures :

"Until the last man stands" : zouaves defending a churchyard against a Bavarian assault :

fpwingame1.jpg

"Not one step back" : line infantry facing a Prussian hussars attack :

fpwingame2.jpg

Edited by ProfTournesol

hi,

Yes, sometimes i think i'm a little crazy but as long as i'm having fun with it :)

Not just sometimes but that's another story :lookaround:.

Top quality stuff as usual.

cya.

Nikiller.

Very interesting mod.

Good work, ProfTournesol!

Hi, ProfTournesol, i like your work, and I want to ask - what about the Russian-Turkish War of 1877-78, as a supplement to this mod?

Great work as always ProfTournesol, keep it up :)

Nice work, very detailed, and knowing Prof Tournesol. it will be a very polished mod at the end

French weapons : Chassepot needle carbine 1866, Chassepot needle rifle 1866, Tabatiere rifle 1867, Sharps rifle 1859, Spencer rifle 1863 (last two with the courtesy of House Divided mod) :

vnxo.jpg

German weapons : Dreyse needle carbine 1865, Dreyse needle rifle 1862, Bavarian Podewils rifle 1867, Dreyse needle cavalry carbine 1857

yqob.jpg

Looking awesome!

I am a huge fan of 1600's-1900's warfare.

Will be there any famous commanders in the mod like Otto von Bismarck to be used in some missions?

Are you going to make a map for this as you did with VVV and the WWI mod? Maybe an urban map with some trenches around the city.

In fact, i've modified a map (a square part of Nogova) to fit with that era. I've put some railways and stations (AEF trains), i'm working on some custom objects (not trenches but barricades).

sooo umm is this mod done, I have your WW1 mod and its amazing. I cant figure out how to download your Napoleonic warfare mod. and this mod by the looks of it sorta fell off the face of the earth. If its done a download link would be appreciated plz.

The release is imminent, just need to find a few minutes to upload and find a Mirror, and we're good.

• Like 1

Closed per request  :padlock: