Sign in to follow this  
mrflay

FLAY Archery Fetish Mod (wip)

Hello,

I thought I'd share some screenshots from an archery hack I've been working on for Arma 3. Right now it's more a proof of concept than anything else, but I'm hopeful it can be made into a mod too.

06vUzjg.jpg

Screenshots

Compound bow loaded. Pressing "R" (reload) will draw the bow.

iRSDiYB.jpg?4

Compound bow drawn. Pressing "LMB" (fire) will release the bow.

0jOaild.jpg?5

Compound bow drawn as seen from first person view.

fEiTbKz.jpg?2

Recurve bow with ACO scope and flashlight.

ZfcLzUv.jpg?2

Compound bow with the bow mounted quiver attached.

ND7ro5o.jpg?2

The arrow points take up the muzzle slot and are consumed when the bow is fired.

ZfmGaBM.jpg?2

Compound bow with the ACO sight and flashlight.

Videos

Target practice

Blow shit up!

Usage

1. Press 'R' to load an arrow from the backpack or quiver.
  2. Press and hold the 'Fire' button to draw the bow.
  3. Release the 'Fire' button to release the arrow (press 'R' to abort).

Keys

R: If the bow is empty, load an arrow from the backpack or quiver. If the bow is loaded, unloads the bow.

F: To switch between loading from backpack or quiver (bow must be empty).

Known Issues

• Order of inventory items is changed every time something is changed on the bow.
  • Ammo count for quiver always shows 0.
  • Magazine is not shown in inventory when bow quiver is selected.
  • Cannot change magazine / arrow points when quiver is selected.
  • The target indicator is huge when interface size options is not set to "small".
  • Flashlight and IR Pointer does not work (due to the workaround for the weapon animbug).
  • Can't get MagazineCoeff and AmmoCoeff in accessory config to work (e.g. initSpeed and typicalSpeed).
  • The draw animation is to quick (animation tweak).
  • Limbs, wheels, and support strings are not animated when the bow is drawn (animation tweak).
  • Scoring broken when shooting more than 20 arrows on a target (i.e. when it starts recycling markers).
  • Does not work in multiplayer?

Wishlist

• Magazine should be a proxy like the SIDE, TOP, and MUZZLE attachments (would make it possible to have different types of arrow shafts).
  • Possibility to add more attachments slots to a weapon (even without ui for accessing them).
  • Possibility to trigger weapon reloading through script (LoadMagazine?).
  • More flexibility in animating the gun (sourceAddress="user" would be awesome).
  • A key binding and/or scripting command to activate/deactivate the aiming deadzone like there is for head movement ('c' key makes sense)

Edited by mrflay
added armaholic download link
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

great for hunting the indigenous wildlife to be found on both islands :D

I hope this is released as a mod. I have a very cool scene in my next machinima that this mod will have a part in if so.

Thanks for the positive feedback! I'll try to upload a video of it in action later on today.

Pretty cool i must say - reminds a Far Cry 3 :D

Yeah, I won't deny that the recurve bow in Far Cry 3 is the main inspiration for this project. Although, without some engine/script enhancements it will be very difficult to match that experience in arma (e.g. better support for custom weapon animations).

I hope this is released as a mod. I have a very cool scene in my next machinima that this mod will have a part in if so.

Will probably work good enough for this purpose. Getting it to work well in regular single- and multiplayer games will require a rewrite (and perhaps some bugfixes/enhancements from BIS). Anyways, I'll share the source once I'm done with the proof of concept (it won't be pretty though).

Looks great, already thinking about some hunting survival game-mode haha.

Oh yeah, I would play a mod like that... a lot :).

this looks awesome. good luck here it'll be epic!

wow great Work, really looking forward for that... RAMBO GO HOME, we have mrflay now ;)

Here are two videos that shows the Compound Bow in action.

Target practice

Blow shit up!

For the mod I'm planning to make the Compound Bow be a relatively short range, but very powerful weapon. With the Broadhead arrow points it will take just one hit anywhere on the body to kill an unprotected enemy. The Recurve Bow on the other hand, I would like to be more of a long range precision weapon. But I'm not sure how to balance that right. I mean the recurve bow would have to be one-hit-kill too in order to be effective on long range. So, we'll see.

Of course, this isn't how they function in the real world (I think the compound bow is pretty much superior in every aspect, except maybe assembly and dissasembly), but it makes it a little bit more interesting imo.

omg that looks awesome!!! even the animations look very good! now we can do it rambo style! lol

what does it look like if you take the weapon on the back? did you made a proper position already?

and how does the AI handle with the bow? do they also shoot on longer distances like a few hundred meters? omg imagine 2 opposing lines of archers shooting at each others with a big arrow volley!! haha awesome cant wait this mod to be released!

For the mod I'm planning to make the Compound Bow be a relatively short range, but very powerful weapon. With the Broadhead arrow points it will take just one hit anywhere on the body to kill an unprotected enemy. The Recurve Bow on the other hand, I would like to be more of a long range precision weapon. But I'm not sure how to balance that right. I mean the recurve bow would have to be one-hit-kill too in order to be effective on long range. So, we'll see.

Of course, this isn't how they function in the real world (I think the compound bow is pretty much superior in every aspect, except maybe assembly and dissasembly), but it makes it a little bit more interesting imo.

I've shot archery for as long as I can remember - both target and hunting. SOOO happy to see your work!

Consider making the bows "not" a super-weapon, but a weapon that causes severe bleeding. Perhaps you could make different broadhead styles that replicate different wounding characteristics. The current broadhead technology provides significant wound potential that can bleed out a deer-sized target in 50-100 yards with proper shot placement. Shot placement is the key factor with archery... and that isn't "Hollywood instant death" :) That way you don't have the inaccurate "Rambo weapon of doom", rather it will have a more realistic behavior. Thunderheads have been the broadheads of choice for years where others have faded away. There are all sorts of tips out there but they all perform relatively close to each other.

About 70-80 meters of open range is the max you would try an aimed kill shot vs. game animals IRL... and that assumes you're in VERY good practice :) When I fall out of practice I start losing arrows at about 40 meters by completely missing the target! Un-aimed volley fire would be what? 250-300 yards depending on the equipment?

This looks awsome! Will the arrows stick in the ground/objects/units ?

This looks awsome! Will the arrows stick in the ground/objects/units ?

they do! ;)

very nicely done :)

Great see a mod that breaks the mould, this certainly would be fun in all sorts of missions. Perhaps even in a post-apocalyptic mod or medieval mod :)

Congratulations, this looks very nice! Can't wait for some missions. :)

Nice work !

I've shot archery for as long as I can remember - both target and hunting. SOOO happy to see your work!

Consider making the bows "not" a super-weapon, but a weapon that causes severe bleeding. Perhaps you could make different broadhead styles that replicate different wounding characteristics. The current broadhead technology provides significant wound potential that can bleed out a deer-sized target in 50-100 yards with proper shot placement. Shot placement is the key factor with archery... and that isn't "Hollywood instant death" :) That way you don't have the inaccurate "Rambo weapon of doom", rather it will have a more realistic behavior. Thunderheads have been the broadheads of choice for years where others have faded away. There are all sorts of tips out there but they all perform relatively close to each other.

About 70-80 meters of open range is the max you would try an aimed kill shot vs. game animals IRL... and that assumes you're in VERY good practice :) When I fall out of practice I start losing arrows at about 40 meters by completely missing the target! Un-aimed volley fire would be what? 250-300 yards depending on the equipment?

Happy to see another archer here :) Yes, a more realistic damage model is definitely on the roadmap for the mod. It may not be there right away and maybe not the default damage model, but it just wouldn't be right to call it a fetish otherwise. Great feedback btw.

omg that looks awesome!!! even the animations look very good! now we can do it rambo style! lol

what does it look like if you take the weapon on the back? did you made a proper position already?

and how does the AI handle with the bow? do they also shoot on longer distances like a few hundred meters? omg imagine 2 opposing lines of archers shooting at each others with a big arrow volley!! haha awesome cant wait this mod to be released!

Currently the bow looks really weird when put on the back. You can see it in the first video when the bow is taken from the ammo box. I don't know whether it is possible to configure how the weapon is placed on the back. It may have to be scripted.

It does not work well with AI at the moment, but then I haven't really started to look at that yet. From AI perspective the bow is a grenade launcher, so if it is possible to get the AI to be accurate with a grenade launcher they should have no problems using the bow. At the moment, though, it seems they aim for the feet.

See