Sign in to follow this  
bakimaster91

Large FPS drop when looking at foliage through scope.

Hello guys!

I`ve started this thread as I haven`t seen this problem brought up on forums.

I am speaking only for myself but when I use a scope like ARCO and look through not even dense grass or a forest from a large distance I get a serious FPS drop that kills the immersion and the possibilty to aim steadily and counter the recoil while shooting.

I had this problem on every ArmA - 1, 2 and now 3. In A2 I had to play with objects detail on low to make it only less noticeable. Same with A3, when using low objects detail I end up with better fps while scoping but the game looks really bad :(

I know objects detail lowers the detail of the foliage. What about making the detail of foliage(grass) an independent slider/option? Or simply make the foliage less resource demanding :P I don`t know, besides that game is getting better and better, with the last dev build I can play on even higher fps while unzoomed :) Great job.

Oh and I have all drivers updated, game installed on an SSD, Core i7-2600K 4,5ghz, HD7950 Sapphire 3gb, and 12GB of ram.

Thanks for answering.

Yep, it's AA+ATOC issue. That's why I avoid using it and getting along with FXAA only. 2xAA makes it less painful but still it's noticable, and that's on a GTX 670...

your card can do 8x aa. AToC has no value right now, loss of performance with no IQ improvement. Run a lower VD and Obj Distance. Also not using Ultra setting can hurt you. You have a 3Gb card and can run Ultra for better FPS.

Hm, dunno why haven't I tried that, good idea. I would always just turn ATOC on with AA resulting in huge framerate jumps. I guess I'll try AA without ATOC.

two issues: overheating and low fps

With 8xAA and full atoc I get viewed to the brokoli-trees http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/885234792415911155/C566055A20939768AB65118A5EF11ED8081872C7/

-without scope: 42fps, gpu-usage: 99%, gpu-temp: 35°C

-with sniper scope zoomed out: 40fps, gpu-usage: 99%, gpu-temp: 35°C

-zoomed in: 20fps, gpu-usage: 99%, gpu-temp: 42°C

Zoomed in my gpu temperature raises from 35°C to 42°C in a few seconds (with very good watercooling, with furmark i get max 40° after 10 minutes), normally its max 38°C in games. I think without watercooling it can result in overheating and crash.

two issues: overheating and low fps

With 8xAA and full atoc I get viewed to the brokoli-trees http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/885234792415911155/C566055A20939768AB65118A5EF11ED8081872C7/

-without scope: 42fps, gpu-usage: 99%, gpu-temp: 35°C

-with sniper scope zoomed out: 40fps, gpu-usage: 99%, gpu-temp: 35°C

-zoomed in: 20fps, gpu-usage: 99%, gpu-temp: 42°C

Zoomed in my gpu temperature raises from 35°C to 42°C in a few seconds (with very good watercooling, with furmark i get max 40° after 10 minutes), normally its max 38°C in games. I think without watercooling it can result in overheating and crash.

GPUs don't overheat unless there's something wrong with it.

I know. I tried to describe a different thing. If its not recommended to use furmark to stress the gpu then its also not recommended to zoom in on brokoli trees in arma3 because far more heat on gpu

:rolleyes: ............if you understand my little cryptic english...

? GPUs get hot when under load. Nvidia GPUs will down clock at 80c. Modern GPUs are safe to 100c. Running a GPU at 70c+ wont hurt your GPU.* *(lifetime maybe shortened to 15 years our so...). Artifacts and crashes are a different issue.

The OP has left the building...

Today on the recent Dev build, my zooms increased my FPS. Nice to have it that way. Big difference in Zooms between 8xAA and 4xAA.. I dont use atoc, it seems lacking in the Alpha... waste of performance for no IQ improvement. Tho the OP never did give his VD and ObjD. I stay under 2500VD @1920/1440 85hz. 7970 @1305/1600