Brainbug

Red Hammer Campaign for use with CWR2 mod

trpywzd8.jpg

A while ago, someone by the name of SHJ Studio put a lot of work into the original Red Hammer campaign from the good old OFP days to make it work with Arma2 and the great Cold War Rearmed 2 mod. Unfortunately, he does only speak German, which means he could only write German briefing texts. So his release had gone unnoticed by most non-German speaking people for quite some time. I thought this would be a real pity and decided to add english briefing texts. And so with SHJStudios's expressed consent, I'm proud to re-release it here to a broader audience. It's indeed well made and the many missions give you a lot of playing time with the great CWR2 mod.

REQUIRED: Arma2 OA/CO and Cold War Rearmed 2 Demo:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?152275-Cold-War-Rearmed%C2%B2-Public-Beta

p7ip75i4.png

DOWNLOAD:

for the latest version 1.2, see here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?154754-Red-Hammer-Campaign-for-use-with-CWR2-mod&p=2481615&viewfull=1#post2481615

Edited by Brainbug

Very good news, a lot of people waiting for the English version of Red Hammer . :) Thanks for your work.

well I was waiting for the translation of the other languages (French, Italian, Spanish), but that seems to take longer than I had hoped, so you have to cope with English and German for now. For most of you that's still way better than just German, I assume ;)

I love you. I was actually translating this on my own, but most of what I was doing was through Google Translate. SHJ is a pretty swell guy, and thanks for making his efforts more known to people.

Ha, ha, I just finished translating this myself using the OFP GOTY version of Red Hammer. Going to compare with yours now. You can tell SHJ Studio really have put a lot of effort into this so I'm glad more people will be playing it now.

Kick ass! Many thanks, Brainbug and SHJ Studio! :D

Edited by OMAC

I'm SO happy about this, I want you to imagine me dancing like this!:

Yeap, that's me with the short tight jean shorts and bunny ears.

I have never gave the time for original soviet campaign, when I tryed, I got hooked up by the Retaliation too much and forgot about red hammer, well, since that campaign is not available, this will do, Thank you very much, time to blast those evil americans to pieces :)

I'm SO happy about this, I want you to imagine me dancing like this!:

Yeap, that's me with the short tight jean shorts and bunny ears.

Is it really you? HOT!!! Just don't give in to the cwr guys, better me, I always liked assian girls, they are soo cute ^^

Awesome! Thank you very much SHJ Studios and Brainbug, much appreciated :)

Great news. I've played German version, but I guess I'll play it again. Thanks, Brainbug. :D

Awesome . . . thank you guys. So many campaigns and missions to play it's hard to keep up with all the stuff.

Yeah, sorry mate, still working on the translation, but going very slowly as I am extremely busy right now.

---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

BTW, my game is configurated in French so I don't have the text in briefing...

How can I have the english text?

@Wiki

This is strange, i have polish version of arma 2 (i can't change languages in menu). But i have english briefing in missions.

Can you change languages in french version of arma? If yes maybe change to english.

@down

No problem ;)

Edited by tom3kb

yeah, it works, thanks

Edited by Wiki

The only problem with this is that it is a 1:1 Port. Wich means that you will fight ridiculous amounts of enemys a die a lot!

Does it use first aid module as well? Would be nice if you could disable that. Its quite annoying.

The only problem with this is that it is a 1:1 Port. Wich means that you will fight ridiculous amounts of enemys a die a lot!

It's worth the time tweaking it a bit to your own liking. I added a few skillful squad members to some of the 1-man army rambo missions and made a lot of equipment available in the briefing section and the missions play out much better imo.

Same goes for the first aid module. The author also added a first aid script for the when you're not a Spetznatz, probably to offset the difficulty.

Sure, you can do that for yourself (I'm doing the same often in downloaded SP missions that I play for myself), but I'm not planning to change anything in the campaign release, it should stay like SHJ Studio put it, which is probably quite close to the original (which I never played I have to admit). I did fix a few bugs I encountered, but nothing that changes the gameplay. E.g. the default Arma2 AK-74 PSO1 is used several times, which uses different in-game ammo than the other AK-74s which are taken from the CWR2 mod. I didn't check whether the CWR2 mod has its own PSO1 variant meanwhile (probably didn't have it back then when SHJ Studio made the campaign), but I didn't want to change it. Maybe it was also done on purpose so you can't use the scoped rifle all the time with basically unlimited ammo, so you are forced to either save on ammo or use other weapons. Anyway, it does play through nicely, there don't seem to be any showstopper bugs in it. And if you find it too hard, don't hesitate to save from time to time ;)

Yeah, I recall that being an issue people had with the original campaign. I'm sure of the campaigns that have been released officially as retail products (so this counts all ArmA games as well as IFL and ToH), Red Hammer is probably the hardest campaign ever made. Cold War Assault probably had some of the hardest types of missions made for the franchise, because a lot of them involve solo play a lot more than later ArmA games, and Red Hammer has the most of these. Sure, the med packs make healing easier, but you're still often in missions where the numbers game is always in favor of the enemy, even as early as the first mission.

Personally I would like to see the medical user action go. I would like it as the original.

Maybe you also could tweak the friendly and enemy AI to balance the numbers? Not change the amount of AI but make friendly more skilled and vice versa?

Even if this campaign is codemasters I think this is part of the classics. Yes not of the same quality as the other two, but it should get some TLC to get it more enjoyable.

Or should a mayor re-tweak be done to "save" it? Take away an enemy soldier here and there to make it a less frustrating experience? What do people think?

With all this said I'm really happy that it's ported and now translated! Thank you!

I'm liking it just the way it is.

Most difficult missions and situations can be played out correctly with patience and timing....maybe means getting killed and reverting

....but you do find different strategies that work and one the does NOT work, going Rambo.

Andersson, Brainbug just translated it. Chances are slim that the creator of this campaign will ever tweak it further.

I know, and I thank him for it. But as you say that the chances are small that the creator will tweak it so I put out the question to see what people think. Should the "creator" be asked if it's ok for someone else to tweak it, or is it good as it is. If people think it's good enough and can play it I just need to "harden the fuck up" :)

Wait until you get to the mission where you have to hijack the helicopter. Then we will talk about hardening up.

Personally I would like to see the medical user action go. I would like it as the original.

Maybe you also could tweak the friendly and enemy AI to balance the numbers? Not change the amount of AI but make friendly more skilled and vice versa?

Even if this campaign is codemasters I think this is part of the classics. Yes not of the same quality as the other two, but it should get some TLC to get it more enjoyable.

Or should a mayor re-tweak be done to "save" it? Take away an enemy soldier here and there to make it a less frustrating experience? What do people think?

With all this said I'm really happy that it's ported and now translated! Thank you!

SHJ is currently busy updating his ArmA Rearmed campaign remakes from what I've been able to discuss with him (so we'll soon have fully playable content from ArmA 0 and ArmA I updated to ArmA II standards), but if you wish to disable the medpacks yourself, you can remove the script for it in the init files for the missions. Not every mission has medpacks; you have them at the start, lose them, and get them back with a promotion. I think they were implemented specifically because the promotion makes you a Spetsnaz, leading to many lone wolf missions. Red Hammer is very easily the hardest of the Cold War Crisis/Cold War Assault/Cold War Rearmed campaigns, so I believe this was a conscious decision to balance out the incredibly high challenge. It may not be realistic or true to the original, but I do believe a lot of the campaign was criticized back in 2001 because of the big balancing issue for difficulty. In fact, of any campaign in this series, I'd wager Red Hammer is the hardest, though that could only be based on what I've played (I've only finished Resistance, Sahrani Conflict, Rahmadi Conflict, Royal Flush, Harvest Red, and Eagle Wing in terms of campaigns, currently playing CWR's version of Cold War Crisis..James Gastovki's missions are super hard near the end of the game, so I only have nightmares for Red Hammer).

Edited by Foffy