Page 1 of 60 123451151 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Developer post in this thread.  

Thread: Audio Tweaking (dev branch)

1.   Click here to go to the next Developer post in this thread.   #1

Audio Tweaking (dev branch)

The audio changes which delayed Development branch updates are now partly published. As with most of these large tasks, this is ongoing work and so the current state is not considered final (in some places it may be worse for a little while). Effectively the core foundations are in place and now each individual asset needs tuning and fixing. We feel it will improve the soundscape in the final game

Senior audio team member Ondřej Matějka goes over the details:
    We’ve added a so-called limiter effect. If there are a large number of shots at the same time, there was an unpleasant effect of 'cracking'. The limiter should help counter this eventually.

We’ve changed the audibility of some sounds based on distance. Due to the changes to the sound engine it is now possible to affect the sound very accurately. As example, by separating the samples for weapon shooting and their mechanical parts, you can now not as easily hear the shooter in a remote area. With this change, the player also gets a better sense of ambient sound, because e.g. crickets are now heard only in a limited space. Another big change is the accurate setting of the volume of resources (dB) and controlling the audio mix (vehicles versus weapons for example). Rather than tweaking volume and loudness in the source samples, these are now all normalized and tweaking is done in configuration.

Finally, we’ve introduced an improved WSS format. With this change we can drastically reduce the size of the sounds by more than 60 percent and format WSS finally supports stereo samples.

Of course, there have been many fixes and tweaks to sounds themselves based on your comments. Please help our audio team by continuing to report possible improvements in this field.
    Bohemia Interactive
    Arma 3 - Project Lead
    Watch us, tweet us, poke us

Take On Helicopters - Project Lead
    Take On Noisecontrollers!

Good to see new stereo sounds. Looking forward to hearing the new soundscape!

Hi DNA and thanks very much for the info, I have a couple of questions about the new sound works if you think you may be able to ask the sound guys.

format WSS finally supports stereo samples
    Will we get a tool to support this or does it mean the engine now processes wss in stereo format?

We’ve added a so-called limiter effect
    Will this be like arma 2 were the amount of samples is capped and going over that cap stops the first of the sound files from playing.

Many regards & Thanks for the communication
    Bp

4.   Click here to go to the next Developer post in this thread.   #4
    Author of the Thread
    Will we get a tool to support this or does it mean the engine now processes wss in stereo format?
    Currently it means the engine processes it. I'll investigate whether we can add a conversion tool to the tools package.

The rest will need to be answered by my team

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpickle View Post
    Hi DNA and thanks very much for the info, I have a couple of questions about the new sound works if you think you may be able to ask the sound guys.

Will this be like arma 2 were the amount of samples is capped and going over that cap stops the first of the sound files from playing.

Many regards & Thanks for the communication
    Bp
    in audio production, limiter affects the volume of anything that goes in, it cuts to loud peaks of audio, making it not to clip, (distorted) audio starts clipping at over 0dB, also you must not be afraid of damaging your highend audio system, by overcliping audio at large battles.

Nice update thanks, looking forward to hearing them. Also, 60 % is a massive gain!
    Vote for these Bugs
    Spoiler:

PC Spec:
    Spoiler:

yup, now they can add, twice as much sounds as now, and it will stay about they same size, amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by NeuroFunker View Post
    in audio production, limiter affects the volume of anything that goes in, it cuts to loud peaks of audio, making it not to clip, (distorted) audio starts clipping at over 0dB, also you must not be afraid of damaging your highend audio system, by overcliping audio at large battles.
    Yeah i understand what clipping is, all audio files should treated for clipping before being used or implemented in the game engine anyway.

Correct me if I'm wrong ofc, your suggesting that they are using code to treat clipping in game but more aimed towards "clipping caused by amounts of simultaneous files playing at once".

Nice to know that the sound engine is being enhanced May I ask that will the sound positioning be enhanced later? That would be more than amazing (and desperately needed )

BOINC program: Install BOINC and make the world a better place with your PC by letting scientific researches
    around the world to use your PC in calculating solutions for major problems in the world, such as
    finding cures for cancer, HIV, malaria and Alzheimer's and predicting climate change.
    (Don't think PCs make a difference? See this chart)

INTER ARMA CARITAS

I dont know where the benefits of stereo sounds are for a game?
    Anyone care to explain?
    Marek Spanel: [...] Every single element is well taught so that it fits together. So this is a significant change, because with ArmA 1 it was just random, really.
    We made some units because we had to. There wasn't much passion from our side with the first ArmA, to be honest. This time it's different. (Videogamer.com Interview

Please BIS: Arma2 must become a TRUE MASTERPIECE - Not a middle-heavy catastrophe!

Page 1 of 60 123451151 ... LastLast