Sign in to follow this  
gfresco

TrueNam - My attempt at a dynamic mission for the UNSUNG mod.

TrueNam SP & CO-OP - Gfresco's attempt at a dynamic Vietnam war mission.

1.2 version

(Unsung mod) Downloads:

Updated DL Link (Version 1.1):

Sendspace: Sendspace DL

Mediafire: Mediafire DL

Armaholic Link: TrueNam - Armaholic

What is the intent of this mission?

Please bear in mind this is my first attempt at making a mission beyond a small village firefight. I am the type of player that doesn't enjoy the direct pursuit of linear objectives but prefers a somewhat dynamic open world map with a degree of variability. I wanted to create a mission for the Unsung mod that would feel somewhat like the warfare or Takistan & Lingor force missions. I wanted a mission thats fun to replay and can be played either singleplayer or by a large co-op group.

Currently there is only one explicit objective to end the mission with. I'd be up for adding in more "side" objectives but my knowledge is limited. I have tested this mod pretty thoroughly but I'm only 1 man so I may have missed out on things (and I'm new to mission making so may not of been the best "tester")

All said; Chances are I will discover some flaws/bugs/imperfections and need to update this. None the less it is "finished" in the sense that its fully playable/enjoyable and everything listed below is implemented.

What are the features of this mission?

-Dynamically spawning enemies. As you enter areas of the map enemy patrols will spawn and begin to patrol the area (using UPSMON scripts). All AI is handled by RMM manager and even when large amounts have been spawned in performance should remain decent.

-Helicopter "Taxi" (Extraction and transport) using Norrins script is available at the starting airfield.

-Recruitable A.I. Recruit up to a limit of 15 soldiers at any given time, both U.S army and USMC soldiers are available to form your squad. (Using Bon's) script.

-Respawn with a full display of ammo/weapons crate for U.S forces, allowing you to equip yourself as ideal for each excursion.

-Dynamic weather that should be sync'd for MP use as well, by Enigma. (Set to a slightly rainy emphasis due to this being Vietnam.)

-Support with the SSM module, provided by Huey choppers for ammo resupplies and unsung-mod planes for airstrikes.

Mission objectives/notes:

The "main" objective in this mission is to search & destroy 4 N.V.A officers assisting the Vietcong in their guerilla excursions. These officers are likely to be highly mobile and very difficult to track. After eliminating all 4 return to the top of the Artillery hill at the Airbase (with the entire team) to end the mission.

Other objectives are the continued search and destroy effort against Vietcong forces.

One can play as either pilots, a USMC squad, or a U.S Infantry squad.

Any constructive feedback that can make me a better mission maker would be endlessly appreciated.

Required mods:

CBA

ACE/ACEX

Unsung

Unsung traps (DL since some people told me they cant find it: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8108 )

Edited by Gfresco
updated downloads/files

Glad to hear that you are having fun making missions with the mod.

Unfortunately your download link is not working for me.

Additionally the traps are included in UNSUNG 2.5.

Oh, didn't realize they were. Glad to hear it, though. The download link works for me but I'll reupload at another mirror to be safe.

Added two new DL links and updated the old one.

Oh, didn't realize they were. Glad to hear it, though. The download link works for me but I'll reupload at another mirror to be safe.

Added two new DL links and updated the old one.

hey dude, downloaded ur mission true nam and it is prety good. i noticed there isnt any tasks in the task area just markers on the map for patrols etc is this how it apears on yours. the mission is cool tho gives u a good feel. was gonna ask u tho, u reckon there is a way u could put food and drink in like dayz, along with tents and making fires etc, im just thinking that it would be cool to be wrying about thirst during patrols and stoping setting up camp for food etc as u wud do out in the jungle, im not sure how to do it but maby u are? i think tht wud make that mission sick

Hey man. Glad you enjoyed the mission.

I intentionally didn't put specific task markers, although I tried to put task descriptions in the briefing (via the briefing.sqf). The idea behind hunting down the 4 NVA officers is that they are moving around the map and require a fair bit of exploration and search-and-destroy attempts to locate, rather then simply searching for the officer-squads in a specifically marked area. I did however put markers showing vague areas of V.C activity to "guide" the player to areas where they may be able to intercept them.

Putting in food & drink like Dayz would be very cool but I have yet to so another mod, other than Dazy, do that so I'm not really sure how to implement such intensive/complex features. I do regularly scan the BI forums and armaholic for script snippets and guides that can help me add/enhance missions, though.

Nice to see UNS missions :). I just wanted ot clear 2 things:

1 Unsung traps its not needed, as far as i know those traps are already on the mod for a long time :S,

2 Also i recomend to load the @UNS_ACE_compact if you load UNS and ACE, it just fixes some minor issues that can happen.

Glad to hear that you are having fun making missions with the mod.

Unfortunately your download link is not working for me.

Additionally the traps are included in UNSUNG 2.5.

I had an error not being able to load the mission due to missing traps. I had to load the UNS_traps on its own so probably mission maker has reference to classes in that specific one and not the one included in UNSUNG. Would be nice to not have this requirement.

Otherwise, I was a bit confused as to what to do in finding the VIP's / objectives. Was I supposed to patrol the routes marked or were those friendly patrols already in progress? I did a bit of that and then ventured into red areas.

Also, not sure if you intended to have enemy markers always displayed on the map. I'm guessing that is UPSMON in debug mode. Probably want to turn that off.

Would be nice if the transport chopper is available from anywhere for a pickup. After I was dropped off and patrolled for a bit I wanted a pickup but nothing available. Being stuck out in the jungle with no way home or to regroup or form up for another patrol somewhere else was not fun.

Overall, it was pretty decent.

Hey Delta. Thanks for the constructive & candid feedback. Very helpful.

I too have at times experienced the error loading the mission without the @UNS_TRAPS addon which is why I referred to it. I admit I'm not entirely sure how to resolve the issue so it only references what is included in the current version of the unsung mod.

Also yeah, I realize I left the upsmon debug on. That was an unintentional fuck up. I'm switching it off of course for the update, but you can manually do that by going into INIT_UPSMON in the scripts folder for the current version.

So, I should probably fix the briefing and as well include a a read me since its clear what to do is a little bit vague. I'll clarify here for now

Patrol routes: These are suggested patrol routes for you to go on. The blue "X" indicates where a chopper can land without problem and as such are the insertion/extraction points. I have designed these patrols to edge you through areas where there will be some enemy activity.

The red area's on the map: These just currently highlight areas the player is likely to encounter vietcong. These areas aren't the only places one will encounter them but it'll guide the player to an area with a general enemy presence. In the update I'm working on I've switched these markers to highlight the areas the officers are in.

The VIP's/Officers: These guys are currently not marked very directly and are in specific areas of the map that take some exploration to find. In the update I'm working on I'll highlight the areas with markers to give the players a general area to search around for them. I however don't want to give exact locations - the idea being one has to search somewhat extensively to find them.

The transport chopper: That should, and has for me, been able to do extractions. Its pretty much run directly on Norrins helicopter taxi script. The way it works is the helicopter will drop you off, fly back to the airbase, refuel and then you should be able to call for an extraction via the middle mouse button (default binding). It is set to respawn if shot down/destroyed too. You should be able to conduct a patrol, reach an LZ, call an extract, return to base and re-arm/resupply.

Also, Harzach, thanks for the link. I've browsed over that stuff briefly and using it to set a hunger/thirst system isn't intuitive to me but I'll fiddle with it and see what I can do.

Alright. New version dubbed "1.1" is up. What has been changed:

1) Upsmon debug has been switched off so you'll no longer be able to track enemy and friendly positions and destinations (was never intended to be on).m

2) V.C activity area markers changed and adjusted to give possible search locations for the VIPs/Officers to help make the mission less confusing.

3) Briefing edited/updated to make objectives more clear.

Also I tested the chopper taxi script again and I was able to call for an extraction about 1-2 minutes after being dropped off. The chopper simply has to fly back to base, land, and then the call-for-extraction action is re-added.

Alright. New version dubbed "1.1" is up. What has been changed:

1) Upsmon debug has been switched off so you'll no longer be able to track enemy and friendly positions and destinations (was never intended to be on).m

2) V.C activity area markers changed and adjusted to give possible search locations for the VIPs/Officers to help make the mission less confusing.

3) Briefing edited/updated to make objectives more clear.

Also I tested the chopper taxi script again and I was able to call for an extraction about 1-2 minutes after being dropped off. The chopper simply has to fly back to base, land, and then the call-for-extraction action is re-added.

Changes sound great. I didn't mind the way you were currently marking things, I think it was just unclear in the mission description that is all. I would rather it be more of a search for the VIPs rather than knowing where they are. This also gave me an idea for a mission I was working on. It would be cool if you received intel maybe every 5-10 mins (could be variable) that gave you a suspected or reported VIP location. You can make it not an exact location as well but a general area. I have some other ideas as well around this.

As for the transport chopper, it was never available again after 2 minutes or even longer. I was probably in mission for at least 20-30 minutes and never had the option. I can't remember for sure if it was this same mission but the chopper might have crashed just after dropping us off. Although you did say it should respawn but maybe in the respawn the action item is not available anymore.

---------- Post added at 22:10 ---------- Previous post was at 21:19 ----------

Oh and one thing about requiring UNS_Traps. If you had that mod loaded at some point and placed something in the editor then it would add an entry to either addOns or addOnsAuto in mission.sqm. I forget which. Even if you then delete that object from your mission those entries a left in the mission.sqm therefore requiring the addon. At least I am pretty sure that is how it works or used to. If you can figure out which reference it is then removing it will remove the requirement for UNS_Traps.

You might be able to also create a new mission and copy and paste all your items from your one mission to the new one. Then copy over all the supporting files minus mission.sqm (which will be recreated). Make sure you save a copy of the original in the event that you screw this up.

Ok, tested out v1.1. There was still some issue with the transport helo but I did get the option to pickup this time. At first I thought it wasn't working at all because I forgot that in order to get the initial option my group and I had to be embarked on the chopper. So first time around I just flew myself in and luckily I had MCC loaded so I was able to call in my own transport chopper.

The issue I saw with the chopper is that when it returned to base (I just had them transport me to the end of the runway) it said refueling just before it touched down. Then it remained hovered over the its initially helo pad until I called it back to pick me up. After picking our group up and ordered back to base it did the same refueling thing and then just stayed hovered in the air. I had to give us another landing on the runway and order it back to base. This 2nd time it did the refueling thing but then immediately landed and shut the engine off. A bit odd but all-in-all it worked sort of.

If people like patrolling and sometimes not getting into any action I think they will like this mission. That is what happened to me on the first patrol out. I patrolled for 45 minutes through one of the sections and through where a VIP was supposed to be but never came in contact with any enemies. I did see some debug hints but that didn't tell me where they were. Just that things were properly working properly and that I was close to enemies. After I returned to base I used MCC console to check for enemies and there were a number of patrols all through where I was. I must have just been lucky (or unlucky) enough to miss them all. BUT, I did enjoy it immensely. Cannot wait to try it again and see if this time I run into something!!!

Hrmm. I'll take a look with the chopper but I must admit it works pretty flawless for me. I certainly agree being stuck out in the jungle without a ride out is very annoying. Typically the script keeps you notified as to whats up with the chopper. For me it'll prompt "Chopper returning to base", "Chopper refueling", "Chopper awaiting orders" etc as the chopper cycles through its stages. All it is Norrins taxi script and I havent edited/changed his script at all.

The Intel is a good idea, I'll look into ways to do that.

Hm. Usually I make contact within 25 minutes of playing, but I made the missions so I know where enemies tend to spawn/patrol a bit better. I could add more enemies and more spawn points if one wanted but I didn't want to risk over-doing it. Let me know if you think there need to be a bigger enemy presence. As it stands throughout the map theres at least 30 squads that spawn and can respawn.

IF you're looking for quick action however the rice-paddie areas and the patrol starting at F.O.B Julie should bring you contact quick.

Anyhow, glad you're having some fun and I hope the improvements help. If just one person enjoys this mission that puts a smile on my face.

I have this error in the middle of my screen and it really kills the immersion.

Error in expression <itwith {
_group = _x;
true
};
} foreach RMM_Reducer_Groups>
 Error position: <RMM_Reducer_Groups>
 Error Undefined variable in expression: rmm_reducer_groups

I also get this error about the briefing sqf.

File missions\Heeble2.CSJ_SEA\briefing.sqf, line 2
Error in expression <r name='VC3'>here</marker> and" <marker name='VC4'>here</marker> and <marker nam>
 Error position: <name='VC4'>here</marker> and <marker nam>
 Error Missing ]

Still having problems with the chopper. I think this time it was after I was killed and team switched but not sure as I didn't check to see if the option was there before that.

I don't think yet that you need to make a bigger enemy presence.

Sorry about the errors. I'll try and get those fixed today. Thanks for the feedback. As for chopper problems that really baffles me as thats one area where I've had no issue.

You probably need to remain the group-leader (the officer) for the chopper to work. I *believe* if you're not the group leader you may get some errors with it. I have to double check the script but I believe it is tied directly to group leader.

Edit: RMM error is an easy fix it was just some absent-mindedness of mine that there was any issue. The briefing one is a bit more annoying but I'll just rewrite the whole briefing.sqf and hopefully that takes care of it.

Edited by Gfresco

i have this error at the start...

no entry cfg worlds.csj

The uns trap are a mod?? I put it in a molfolder but the game don't recognize it...

Edited by teoleo

If you downloaded it from armaholic the file-name for their version has a typo on it. The Armaholic reupload of the mission file is titled "sp-co@x_truenam_v1-2.csj.sea" when it should e "sp-co@x_truenam_v1-2.csj_sea". The map name is CSJ_SEA so the incorrect "." will cause errors.

That'll probably be fixed when I put up a new version and the armaholic file gets changed.

As for "uns_traps" they are a seperate mod. They're apparently included in the current version of unsung but I've experienced errors without it being loaded on its won so I've included both.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8108 --> DL for uns_Traps

Also be sure to enable the "@UNS_ACE_compact" folder (comes with unsung) if you're using ace like I am.

Does that help? Let me know if you're still having errors or need clearer instruction.

now i have uns_tripwire error...

---------- Post added at 15:54 ---------- Previous post was at 15:40 ----------

ok....works, the mission now start...

But how i can call the helo for transport?? And how i can add ai soldiers?

What should I do at the beginning of the mission?

Edited by teoleo

now i have uns_tripwire error...

---------- Post added at 15:54 ---------- Previous post was at 15:40 ----------

ok....works, the mission now start...

How did you get it to work ?

The problem is that the "uns_tripwires" addon is in the mission sqm file. There is no "uns_tripwire" in the UNSUNG mod folder, and the mission sqm doesn't mention the "uns_traps" pbo. So I guess removing the "uns_tripwire" from the sqm might do the trick, although I don't know how that will change the mission.

i have follow your istruction... :O)

But i can't use the helo at the base...how work?

But i can't use the helo at the base...how work?

-Helicopter "Taxi" (Extraction and transport) using Norrins script is available at the starting airfield. The way it works is you enter the helicopter at the mission start (with your squad), use the middle mouse wheel (default binding) to select chopper destination via the map, the helicopter will drop you off then via middle mouse wheel (default binding) select "give chopper all clear to take off" , after that it will fly back to the airbase, refuel and then you should be able to call for an extraction via the middle mouse button (default binding) anywhere from 1-4 minutes approx. It is set to respawn if shot down/destroyed too. You should be able to conduct a patrol, reach an LZ, call an extract, return to base and re-arm/resupply.

That's from the readme. I haven't been able to try the mission yet, so I can't validate if it works.

Sorry people are having trouble making this work. That kind of bums me out. I will try and clarify where I can.

Helo for transport: By default in your middle-mouse scroll wheel you should have an option "Call for extraction". One you select that, hit M and click on the map where you want the chopper to land.

If you spawn at the airfield you can just hop inside the chopper, wait 2 seconds, and on the middle mouse wheel you will get an option "Select chopper destination". Same deal as before, hit M and click where you want the chopper to go.

Its a direct usage of Norin's helicopter script. I haven't changed/edited it all.

AI soldiers: Go to the barracks building on the airfield and when in proximity of it use your middle mouse wheel to "recruit soldiers". It'll open up a menu where you can select what infantry units you wish to spawn.

Whatever you want - I usually fly to an LZ and go along a patrol route. You can also investigate the marked areas on the map and attempt to search and destroy the officers. Do note: Its a fucking jungle. Its not a simple task to find and take out these officers. This mission was made to be a long-lasting one.

The problem is that the "uns_tripwires" addon is in the mission sqm file. There is no "uns_tripwire" in the UNSUNG mod folder, and the mission sqm doesn't mention the "uns_traps" pbo. So I guess removing the "uns_tripwire" from the sqm might do the trick, although I don't know how that will change the mission.

I don't use the tripwires/traps in the mission so you can remove it from the SQM without issue. However, for me, on my two computers just having the uns_tripwires addon/modfolder works for me.

I'll remove the UNS_Tripwires addon in the mission SQM myself for the next update.

I am going to reupload the mission in two hours once I've redone a FULL test to ensure there are no typos or errors I've created.

I'm really sorry this has been a hassle for some folks, I only want to help people have fun and not hinder them!

---------- Post added at 23:03 ---------- Previous post was at 22:58 ----------

Alright, I removed the tripwires addon in the SQM and I have doubled checked to ensure the helicopter and recruitment is working.

Here are the updated DL links: Should be error free in these missions (I also made sure there was a marine squad, a marine recon squad, regular infantry squad, and a tiny pilot squad that are all playable)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/jasvrggh96a46tt/BugTestedFix.zip

http://www.sendspace.com/file/n1xo1d

Sorry for the hassle guys. I am still new to mission-making so I'm not an expert on optimizing them and making them bug free.

works fine!

---------- Post added at 16:35 ---------- Previous post was at 16:07 ----------

i have finish my first patrol...nothing happens....

P.s. I have something a msg on the screen: "38/39 cached groups 60"28/123 active/suspended/cached units".... ?!?