Sign in to follow this  
gfresco

TrueNam - My attempt at a dynamic mission for the UNSUNG mod.

works fine!

---------- Post added at 16:35 ---------- Previous post was at 16:07 ----------

i have finish my first patrol...nothing happens....

P.s. I have something a msg on the screen: "38/39 cached groups 60"28/123 active/suspended/cached units".... ?!?

Every patrol I've gone on I've had at least one firefight. Its entirely possible though you won't bump into a VC patrol, but over 40 patrols are set to spawn across the entire map. If you want to "cheat" you can go into the mission folder --> scripts and open init_Upsmon and change the debug value from "0" to "1". That'll show you where the enemy patrols are, and where they are heading, on the map.

The little message on screen just means CB caching is working

nice man. i give you props for making this. can you make it so that you can play as NVA/vietcong as well? and is it possible to add in ambient vietnamese civilians in the villages along with randomized NVA weapon caches? it would be a good side objective to have to search through possibly booby-trapped villages and destroy them.

thank you for the bugfix version. you should update the first post with the updated links.

---------- Post added at 02:06 ---------- Previous post was at 00:17 ----------

I made an edited version for the 2.6 release of Unsung. This fixes problems with recruitment, the apcs having objects floating over them and other things. Here it is: https://www.mediafire.com/?6cmgaf8hilw8hst

-Added radio support and air extraction using Unsung modules (Bear - UH-1, Tiger - Choctaw)
-Added 3x Skyraiders
-Added Cessna Bird Dog
-Added SuperSabre
-Added 2x Thunderchief
-Added additional F-4 Phantom
-Removed A-7 Corsair
-Changed APCs to 2.6 classnames (Set to 1x M113A1 .50 and 1x M113 .30)
-Added M-577 ambulance
-Added M-43 ambulance
-Added MH-13E Sioux medevac
-Added UH-1 medevac dustoff
-Added Ammo/Fuel/Repair to maintenance area
-Added Engineer supply crate
-Changed recruitable units to version 2.6 classnames
-Added some new recruitable units (Using 25th army infantry division units, and Post-68 USMC. USMC are at bottom of list starting with "Corpsman")
-Added 2 USAF pilot slots
-Moved recruitment barracks and marked it on the map

I will add music in the next version along with some other things including a few fixes. I will also add a drug use system where you can smoke weed or shoot heroin which will give you visual effects on your screen for a time. I might also add in underground tunnels, but I'm not sure. Keep it gangsta.

Edited by rxnxr23

Glad to hear that you are having fun making missions with the mod.

Agreed! :D

I will add music in the next version along with some other things including a few fixes. I will also add a drug use system where you can smoke weed or shoot heroin which will give you visual effects on your screen for a time. I might also add in underground tunnels, but I'm not sure. Keep it gangsta.

Looking forward to it because although there are already half a dozen COOP mission available for Unsung 2.6, most of them don't work because they're from v2.5 and the class names changed, e.g. soldiers with M16s find themselves without them, i.e. just pistols.

they should still have their old guns, but they are scope 1 so wont appear in editor

I posted this in the Q&A sub-forum, but it ocurred to me that I may as well ask in the mod's forum as well, because it's what I'm currently using. Sorry if this is considered spamming the forum, but I've tried everything, and cannot find a solution. It would almost appear as if Arma 2 is completely abandoned at this point, which is a huge shame.

Anyways, below is my original post. I'm desperate for help. I also forgot to mention in my original post that I'm using the Unsung Ace Compact add-on, which I had hoped would resolve the issue.

Hey guys,

So I'm sorry if this has been asked a thousand times before. I did a few google searches and found a lot of medic and AI related issues and solutions, but none quite seem to match the problem I'm having.

So I'm running Arma 2 with the Unsung 2.6 mod, which requires ACE and CBA. So I have CBA CO and ACE installed, along with the Unsung mod. Everything there is working excellently. So I then downloaded a single player dynamic campaign called TrueNam, and it too works splendidly.

Here's where I'm running into a problem, and I'm almost certain it's user error....I'm not a very good leader, so I almost always find myself or more often my AI units are wounded in firefights. I tell my medic to heal my wounded soldier, yet nothing happens. A heal icon will appear on the medic's icon, and he will run over to the injured trooper, but nothing will happen at that point. I have tried the mouse scrollwheel menu and I have also tried a different series of button/menu combinations.

Usually my medic is unit three, so F3+6+1 (1=heal unit x)

This combination will make the medic's icon have the text "action" and again, he will aproach the wounded unit, but nothing will happen.

I have tried setting my ACE settings to single player medic, but the same thing will happen. The mission .sqm file for TrueNam has the ace_sys_wounds (or something like that) entry, and I notice whenever I start TrueNam my active character will sometimes start with morphine, bandages, and medkits on his person, as will the default medic.

So what am I doing wrong? I also cannot drag/carry my wounded, which is quite unfortunate because I've had to call evac choppers for one guy and the poor jerk had to crawl to the chopper, which took forever and was not good in a firefight. Plus, nothing like ending a mission because one soldier is hit...

Seems the only way I can heal my troops is to evac the entire squad back to base so I can then command the wounded man to heal himself at the base ambulance.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me some help/insight into this. I'm not very combat effective when a minor wound forces the entire squad to leave the patrol.

ive had this problem throughout my time playing arma. i honestly dont know what fixes it or what makes the AI capable of healing under ACE. my modus operandi is using the following mods: @ASR_AI, @COSLX, @zeu_AI, @zeu_AI_ACE. they can all be found on sixupdater as well as armaholic.

@ASR_AI gives the AI some human-like skills and abilities and under ACE makes it so medics will pick up and carry morphine/bandages etc.

@COSLX allows you to drag/carry wounded people i believe. the AI will also auto-drag wounded or dead people. if you get injured, your AI team will drag you away from the shooting, same with any AI getting injured on your team. if youre wounded near the enemy ive seen enemy soldiers drag you away to some house or vehicle as a "prisoner".

@zeu_AI/@zeu_AI_ACE makes the AI react more quickly and act with less delay. also tweaks the ai to be a lot more intelligent and capable.

@tpwcas might have an effect as it changes the AI behavior when being shot at, but im not sure if it will make a difference.

thats a small example of coslx in action with this mission. i get hit and im in the "im injured on the floor in pain and i cant move" animation and after some time one of my AI teammates drags me back.

using the right windows key with ACE you can load people into vehicles.

i hope this helps in some way.

Wow! Awesome suggestions! Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me. I forgot entirely about AI mods. Thank you again for this list, I haven't had a chance to install them, but I'm gonna go ahead and give it a shot. I'll try to report in with my results. Sounds like those AI mods should do the trick though, as I remember using Zeus AI not too long ago before this Arma 2 reinstall, and it was much nicer. Just something I had completely forgotten about.

Wow people actually played my mission! That's awesome. Eeeh.

Gunna try the 2.6 update for it and if anyone wants i will add in playable NVA and such.

unsung 2.6 requires CBA and ACR lite, not ACE.

Man Arma 3 has had me a little out of touch with the old Arma 2 mechanics but i'm pleased to see that the mission is still functional with the 2.6 update. i doubt many people play this - but honestly more people have then i expected. i want to add an enjoyable Opfor/Vietnamese side of the mission but not sure the best way to incorporate patroling Americans.

Would be great if i could actually script in patrols coming and leaving via helicopters but not sure if i can do that.

Man Arma 3 has had me a little out of touch with the old Arma 2 mechanics but i'm pleased to see that the mission is still functional with the 2.6 update. i doubt many people play this - but honestly more people have then i expected. i want to add an enjoyable Opfor/Vietnamese side of the mission but not sure the best way to incorporate patroling Americans.

Would be great if i could actually script in patrols coming and leaving via helicopters but not sure if i can do that.

yea i wish someone could help with that. like maybe during a random amount of time between 5 and 15 minutes have a script spawn a helicopter at a specific helipad at the US base, then have the script spawn a squad inside of the heli, then somehow give it a random lz from an array and make the troops initiate UPSMON once they are "transport unloaded". afterwards have the helicopter fly out of the map and despawn i guess. you could use the same method for convoys, m113 patrols, patton columns and so forth.

https://www.mediafire.com/?24m4uxiuxpmwiec

heres a little update i did. i noticed that because of the classname change with 2.6 there was a huge problem with the ambient/dynamic squad spawn scripts which resulted in a lot of errors and most squads not spawning. i think i fixed that by updating the classnames so the whole map should feel a lot more alive and dynamic. you'll see a lot more enemies and friendlies.

i also took a little time to add in some drugs, but theyre not done yet. right now i have weed and lsd that i ripped from zargabad life and i also edited the scripts because the effects were pretty stupid. you would smoke weed and it would be like smoking dmt and meeting god. i toned down weed so its more mellow and changes are less abrupt and i made LSD far more powerful although its not by any means perfect. weed lasts a shorter amount of time than lsd does and both eventually wear off. im like about to go insane from working within the arma 2 engine for too many consecutive hours so i havent added any type of item inventory system yet, but i will. right now radio 9 (0-0-9) is used to smoke weed and radio 10/0 (0-0-0) is used to take a tab of lsd. you have infinite. the effects are very basic and limited by some aspects of arma 2's scripting but its better than nothing. heres a vid so you get a basic idea:

i hope to eventually have extremely intricate hallucinations wherein gruesome models of people you have killed appear out of the corner of your eye, or every once in a while when you blink you'll see something truly scary. i would also like to add in some crazy audio hallucinations through playmusic.

when i add in the inventory system i will utilize the unsung items (condoms, magazines, rations etc) and also other items such as a campfire for night time, sandbags for fortification, tents for an unspecified purpose as of now, maybe utilize cigarettes and beer, portable radios etc.

i also dont remember if fast time exists in this mission, but thats on my to do list as well.

another good thing would be to create support squads for both sides using arma 2's native support system such as ambulances. the only thing is they might have problems with trees/rocks/rivers/paddies unless they're comprised of all infantry, but in that case it would take them forever to move across the map. maybe if theyre forced on safe behavior so they only use roads unless absolutely necessary it might work but i dont know.

Edited by rxnxr23
doublequote

this is great stuff. glad you can make some use of all the clutter items i made, hoping for just this sort of idea.

the roads are also a bit limited on unsung maps, as they often have breaks in them and the AI cannot pathfind more than a few hundred meters.