D.. Do we... Do we finally have our feet as rotation axis again instead of the head? So no more glitching into walls when turning next to them?

I am on stable, I hope someone can clarify this.

Thanks!

Exactly that.

Ledges, stairs, and railings are safe again!

Exactly that.

Ledges, stairs, and railings are safe again!

Great Odin's Raven!

When in safe behaviour, at least green AT units have heavy lag for their launcher attach position.

When in safe behaviour, at least green AT units have heavy lag for their launcher attach position.

Confirmed, when walking weapon down or in combat pace with weapon down a unit's launcher will basically detach and hover in the air, after a few seconds (presumably when the animation loops?) it will snap back to position. This goes on indefinitely. Can be seen on the walking units in the virtual arsenal when you've got a launcher.

While the new walking animation is undoubtedly more appropriate than the swagger, I will miss the visual expression of cockiness :(

It's a good animation though and it's a better fit.

I wish there was a possibility to tie animations to combat mode. The original walking was way too relaxed IMO for "Stay Alert", but would be appropriate for "Careless", and it would have been cool to have them both.

Another consideration was walking uphill - when you started traversing a steep slope, your guy would go into the cocky swagger, which looked doubly ridiculous if you were being shot at. Same would apply to the new one, really. In an ideal world we would have different animation sets for walking up slopes etc, but it's not that big a deal I suppose.

Another consideration was walking uphill - when you started traversing a steep slope, your guy would go into the cocky swagger, which looked doubly ridiculous if you were being shot at. Same would apply to the new one, really. In an ideal world we would have different animation sets for walking up slopes etc, but it's not that big a deal I suppose.

In my opinion, the slow down when walking up a slope should either be removed completely, or you should be able to run up steeper hills. Right now, it's just ridiculous. It slows down infantry combat unnecessarily and it's hard to tell for players which hill they can go up at fast pace and which now. Last but not least, it looks weird, as you've already mentioned.

In my opinion, the slow down when walking up a slope should either be removed completely, or you should be able to run up steeper hills. Right now, it's just ridiculous. It slows down infantry combat unnecessarily and it's hard to tell for players which hill they can go up at fast pace and which now. Last but not least, it looks weird, as you've already mentioned.

I'm strictly against this, currently it actually means something how you plan your route, plus running uphill is hard and should be hard ingame too.

[...]plus running uphill is hard and should be hard ingame too.

But this is already simulated by increased fatigue, the sudden change of speed and animation is unnessessary.

Manoeuvring is an essential part of infantry combat, making steep slopes easy to climb decreases the functionality of the terrain. Combat would become more like the simple FPS shooters that we all know. That the slow walk sometimes doesn´t look right is another matter.

But this is already simulated by increased fatigue, the sudden change of speed and animation is unnessessary.

Nah man, I want it to stay in the game, it's authentic and introduces another thing the player must take into account in the battlefield.

Considering the animation system it probably isn't trivial to introduce proper animations for steeper hills, thus the walking.

Have you noticed by the way that the US plate carriers and the AAF carrier with the holster now shows the pistol in/near the holster? Was this mentioned in some changelog that I missed?

Edit: q8BqY8um.jpg

Fancy!

Have you noticed by the way that the US plate carriers and the AAF carrier with the holster now shows the pistol in/near the holster? Was this mentioned in some changelog that I missed?

Edit: http://i.imgur.com/q8BqY8um.jpg

Fancy!

Not mentioned, but a sure treat. It works with any gear bearing a holster. Love it.. Just needs to be synced into the holsters locations.

---------- Post added at 15:52 ---------- Previous post was at 15:49 ----------

It used to be that way. running up a 70 degree slope the same speed as full sprint before. Then BIS did the right thing and changed it to how it should be. You can't exactly sprint up a steep slope. You can trip, slide, depending on the terrain. It could even be impossible to climb without rope, as some soft ground gives when you try to climb such a steep slope. It's better to be slowed down to simulate the trouble it takes doing such a task, especially with the gear people usually run around with in game.

Not mentioned, but a sure treat. It works with any gear bearing a holster. Love it.. Just needs to be synced into the holsters locations.

Yes, that, atm most of the holsters dont fit the pistol position... i think the pistol position is fixed across all outfits atm.

On an off-topicish note, GTA V has one helluvan animation system, Euphoria I think it's called, every movement changes dynamically depending on the environment and action performed, damn it's beautiful to watch, I wouldn't mind seeing it in some future iteration of Arma :o

Oh my gawd! I never thought we would see pistol in holster in Arma3 :)

I'm strictly against this, currently it actually means something how you plan your route, plus running uphill is hard and should be hard ingame too.

The reason this feels dumb in A3 is that in real life you would for example go basically 'on-all-fours' kinda climbing up the steep gradient (seeing this in Arma would be f'ing awesome though btw.. Hint for the devs :p ;) ).

The gradients in A3 that slow you to the 'safe walk' or what ever seem maybe a bit too shallow IMO..

Not saying I would want this to change, would be cool to have the slowdown dynamically depend on the steepness of the 'hill' or something though (like fatigue already does)..

On an off-topicish note, GTA V has one helluvan animation system, Euphoria I think it's called, every movement changes dynamically depending on the environment and action performed, damn it's beautiful to watch, I wouldn't mind seeing it in some future iteration of Arma :o

That's a Bold wish. I can agree with that though, to some extent. It would be really great if I shot an AI in the upper shoulder as he runs for cover, and he trips over a rock and starts rolling down a cliff. Then we'd have people pushing people over. I could drop my gun, run into the AI and knock him down. Lol

That's a Bold wish. I can agree with that though, to some extent. It would be really great if I shot an AI in the upper shoulder as he runs for cover, and he trips over a rock and starts rolling down a cliff. Then we'd have people pushing people over. I could drop my gun, run into the AI and knock him down. Lol

In Arma 13, maybe.

Euphoria is much more than an animation system :p

It doesn't really fit into arma design wise

The reason this feels dumb in A3 is that in real life you would for example go basically 'on-all-fours' kinda climbing up the steep gradient (seeing this in Arma would be f'ing awesome though btw.. Hint for the devs :p ;) ).

The gradients in A3 that slow you to the 'safe walk' or what ever seem maybe a bit too shallow IMO..

Not saying I would want this to change, would be cool to have the slowdown dynamically depend on the steepness of the 'hill' or something though (like fatigue already does)..

I hear you, I agree what we have now isn't ideal, but it's still better than not having it methinks.

Not much of a wish, just one of those Would be nice to have -things ;)

Who knows what the future holds tho, Bohemia has a shitton of monies now and they are already using 3rd party tech :p

Euphoria is much more than an animation system :p

It doesn't really fit into arma design wise

What is it other than an animation engine? And why would it not fit Arma?

What is it other than an animation engine? And why would it not fit Arma?

Why do you need it? When does it apply in GTA? Answer: when people get run over or shoved by cars and stuff... Since that happens maybe 0.01% the time in Arma at best it is not something that is required or truly beneficial over other things. That's why it's not going to happen.

What is it other than an animation engine?

It is AI, ragdoll and animation system combined

Edited by Fennek

Why do you need it? When does it apply in GTA? Answer: when people get run over or shoved by cars and stuff... Since that happens maybe 0.01% the time in Arma at best it is not something that is required or truly beneficial over other things. That's why it's not going to happen.

It "happens" all the time; when you bump into something or someone, when you get shot and fall down, when you try to run down a hill too steep and you stumble down, when you trip over a rail, when you change sprint direction all of a sudden etc. etc.

It is AI, ragdoll and animation system combined

Got it, thanks.