Sign in to follow this  
texkaz

[SP] The Maykop Brigade-ACE and Non-ACE versions (RWO)

A Real World Ops Production

531963_10100928316862517_1567430198_n.jpg

THE MAYKOP BRIGADE

YuriVII aka Texkaz

Summary: Takes place during the New Years Assault during the First Battle of Grozny during the First Chechen War. The Russians were expecting a swift victory to establish constitutional order in the small Caucuses Republic of Chechnya following the breakup of the USSR. However resistance was tougher than expected. The events of the First Battle of Grozny would set the stage for one of Russia's most profound military defeats and one of the most brutal wars of the Post-Cold War era. You are a conscript in the Maikop Brigade sent to take control of Grozny in a large multidirectional armored advance. Everything should go as planned...so it would seem.

Features: Makes use of the map Deadcity

Gut-wrenching front-line mass combat that Texkaz loves to do.

Simulates a historical battle to the best of Arma engine capabilities.

Challenging gameplay...to say the least.

Addons:

ACE Suite: http://wiki.ace-mod.net/release#Downloads

Staglers Chechen Rebels:http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=12510&highlight=CHECHEN%2BREBELS

Johncage's Chechen War Russians:http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=13187&highlight=CHECHEN%2BWAR%2BRUSSIANS

-requires East Weapons Pack http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=9218

Russian Army Tactical Signs: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=9048

SARMAT Dynamic Shouts:http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=10584&highlight=SARMAT%2BDYNAMIC%2BSHOUTS

Dead City Map: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=18453&highlight=DEAD%2BCITY

Mission Download

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?hbasrt7ylgm73fw

NON-ACE Version

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?wx79gqwi9vfvrqj

Edited by TexKaz

Sounds great! I love the Chechen theatre.

Congratulations on the release, I will give it a try when I clear up some time.

I was really happy to see that this war was finally historically represented in Arma2 but my happiness only lasted 1 minute : just after the fight begins in Grozny suburbs, my fps dropped to 12-18 and never came above 20fps.

I have a recent PC : I5_3750K@4.3Ghz / 8GbDDR 2132 / HD7850 The problem is that there are too many IA fighting at the same time (ACE scripts also must contribute to put my computer on its knees).

So bad because the atmosphere is well polished.

Edit : spelling mistakes...

Lower your graphic settings. If you are playing on high or very high you will have some problems. I have to lower my settings when I play any mission with mass combat like this one. My computer is not that great. I play on a macbook pro on Windows XP with 500 mb of RAM. Dead city map is problematic for framerate I hear too from my beta testers. But there is no better representation than this map for grozny, unfortunately. I played it on normal with decreased view distance (It's a city what do you need more than 1k viewdistance) and it was good enough.

Will be downloading and playing tonight. Get back to you on it later.

Congrats! Hope maybe you and I (and tom3kb?) and anybody else can get together to make a short campaign with this as the starting mission.

What say you?

I'm in full agreement, always wanted to do a collaborative campaign.

I'm a little burned out doing campaigns/missions dont have ideas for missions etc. Now im only release my very old work in "english" version ;) I think i have 3-4 campaigns on my hdd that i can release.

Well, I have pushed down my video quality (everything on normal except AA on Low) and put VD on 1300. I obtain between 20-23 fps... at the price of ugly texture and object flickering.

I insist but it is not due to the GPU load which stay at 30-40% during this mission. Besides, when in the editor, I put a squad of russians (8 men) and navigate through this map of Grozny, I can sustain 45-50 fps without any drop.

I am pretty sure this is because of all the scripts that ACE calculates when fire fight begins.

Even so, thank you for this effort to put this period in an interesting scenario.

Thanks for playing, v 1.0 may have less men in it. I am working on a vanilla version of it, but have run up against a hard place trying to get the ai to disembark out of their bmps.

okay, nice idea and a great atmosphere. the mission looks and feels quite authentic. i mean-iron sights? jeez, i forgot how they look cause 99% of the scenarios i played included some fancy looking western weaponry with optical sights. heh, i even checked many bodies hoping to find something with optical sight but there was nothing lol

overall, the mission succeeds in giving us the feel that we're fighting for our lives...stalking in the ruined buildings and defending from the swarming Chechens looked cool (though i imagine this would rather get me killed IRL lol)

however, i experienced a catastrophic performance drop. i play with draw distance 3500m and all set to VH/high with SMAA@normal and i had a miserable 14-19fps.

i hope we'll see more RWO work from u cause u have some skill. my only suggestion is to avoid big city battles in arma cause A) we need an ultimate monster machine with yesterday's GPU and tomorrow's CPU or B) we need to dial down settings a lot, which is a poor solution cause A2 is the old dx9 game that needs high settings to look satisfactory.

besides, if u like the Chechen wars theme there were more than enough mountain battles and deadly village sweeps to use for modding.

do you plan to make non ACE version?

it does look interesting missions, but I don't use ACE, so...

I already have a non-ACE version in the editor. There is an issue with bmps not disembarking soldiers that is causing me problems.

@Spotter

Why you playing with 3500m view-distance in city ruins? :p. Yeah I do want to use clafghan for mountain raids. The deadcity map is good for a mission but not a campaign. It is quite an incomplete map, which is obvious when you get out of the city. Heh, glad you couldn't find any optics...though I think there are a few marksman with SVDs on the map. The whole point of the scenario is that you are a desperate conscript trying to survive and GTFO of there! No fancy weapons, just your rifle, your feet, and your wits. Plus, I prefer iron sites for cqb, gives me more peripheral vision when I aim (I play with crosshairs turned off).

@tex:

yeah i know, i should have reduced the draw distance...i just got that idea too late when i had already finished the mission:)

i play without crosshair too (with full ace pack). and yes, there are a few SVD marksmen...i know cause they nailed me few times from out of nowhere:D

Try this, I used it for the mini-camp I'm working on and with a pair of MH-47E's:

Force Eject

To force eject a group out of a vehicle use this code (note you need to have the group name and the vehicle to disembark named as well):

_xhandle = [<GROUP>,<VEHICLE>] execvm "Eject.sqf";

Eject.sqf:

_group = _this select 0;
_vehicle = _this select 1;

if ( (typename _group != "GROUP") or (typename _vehicle != "OBJECT") ) exitwith {
hintSilent "Invalid Parameters parsed";
};

sleep 1;

{
unassignvehicle _x;
_x action ["getOut", _vehicle];
sleep 1;
} foreach units _group;

Optional Safety height function (copy and paste after the _vehicle declaration in eject.sqf):

_height = (position _vehicle) select 2;
if ( _height < 100 ) exitwith {hintsilent format ["%1, the %2 height is below 50m (current height: %3), unsafe to eject.", name player, typeOf _vehicle, _height]};

I can't seem to play this mission because every time I go to load it up I get an error stating 'No player was selected!' then nothing happens. Any idea why this is happening and how I can fix it?

I can't seem to play this mission because every time I go to load it up I get an error stating 'No player was selected!' then nothing happens. Any idea why this is happening and how I can fix it?

Texkaz can better answer this then me so best wait until he finishes his loooooooooong cigarette break that he's known for....:)

So it seems to me that when the mission was saved, exactly that, "no player was selected" which seem odd because it works for everybody else but you.

In order to get it working, you would need to put the folder of the mission in your---->my documents---->Arma 2 Profile---->reg

then open it in the Editor, find who the "Player" was meant to be, save it and then place it back into your BIS main directory---->Missions folder.

Problem with this is that you would need to know who the player is on the map.

I would suggest you to please re-download the mission and try it again........and wait until Texkaz who is on his cigarette break to come back in here and help you out.

This message "No player is selected" can show in SP when:

1. In mission none of units is set as player,

2. In players squad all units are set as playable, none of units is set as player.

But if nobody else have this problem it's little strange for me. So maybe it's something else.

Yes I did have this problem crop up once or twice. And it was weird because a player is most definitely set. I just pressed continue on the error message and it played as it was supposed to. Basically, its an unimportant error that doesn't mean anything to the mission. Are you saying that it wont continue after you press "OK" on the error message?

Edited by TexKaz

Exactly. I press ok and nothing happens, I'm still at the scenario select screen. If I try again, I get the same error then once again, hitting ok does nothing.

Hmmm, I think I may be able to fix this rather fast. Check back here in at most 12 hours.

Ok reg, unfortunately I have some good news and some bad news. I'll do the bad news first. Bad news is I have absolutely no fucking clue why you have that bug. I hate telling people its on their end, but when you are the only one with this issue it's something on your end. I have the problem myself where the "no player" selected bug comes up myself, but the game always corrects itself during the pre-mission briefing and its never been an issue other than some stupid little oddity. I tried rediting it, and short of completely remaking the ACE version of the mission from scratch (something I dont have enough time or patience for since I am working on a sequel campaign and an UNSUNG VIETNAM MOD campaign simultaneously), your case for the ACE mission is helpless. However, the good news that rectifies all of this is that your issue has motivated me to complete my non-Ace version. I figured out my problems with the non-ACE version. And the non-ACE version does not have that annoying problem. So hopefully, you can play the non-ACE version which I will link to at the end of this post and hopefully armaholic will host it in due time.

Non-Ace Version

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?wx79gqwi9vfvrqj

I have the same problem. I cannot start the mission because of this error message. Non-ACE version doesn't work because of missing content vilas_rw_forces_co

Edited by Vipera

@up

Chechen war Russians use Vilas East weapon pack, check the link in first post. And in armaholic download requirements for this addon.

Edited by tom3kb

hmmm maybe I will have to remake the ace version from scratch. Shame...or just merge the non-ace version and add ace content.

@Viperia

Make sure you download all the addons listed. If you have confusion of where an addon is, check the OP of my post, armaholic, or google vilas_rw_forces_co

hmmm maybe I will have to remake the ace version from scratch. Shame...or just merge the non-ace version and add ace content.

@Viperia

Make sure you download all the addons listed. If you have confusion of where an addon is, check the OP of my post, armaholic, or google vilas_rw_forces_co

Actually you don't. The mistake was on my end. I downloaded the russian weapons pack and now the ace version works. I must have overlooked it when downloading from armaholic.