Sign in to follow this  
Alo Keen

Keep both DEV and main branch

Is it possible to keep the patch data locally and be able to start dev/main branch via a simple shortcut? Or at least, make steam not download it again if no updates exist, just patch back from cache...

Yes, its a shame we cant just use the dev version as a mod folder or something, like the Arma2 betas.

Yeah, it's bothersome when I have to re-download 300+ MB of stuff every time I want to play with someone using the default branch.

I actually like it the way it is. I know what you are saying, but Steam is working perfectly (as much as I hate to admit it !)

Hm, wonder if you could have 2 installs on the same machine? Just use one of the free Alpha Lite licenses that came with the purchase. Then one could be against the Dev version and the other against the stable one

Yes please. When bug hunting it's often informative to switch back and forth between the dev and stable builds. That's a huge PITA right now with the way Steam re-downloads and re-configures on every switch. I'd be nice to be able to load either build from local files with a comand line option or something similar.

yes, its a shame we cant just use the dev version as a mod folder or something, like the arma2 betas.

+1

/kc

...and my axe! Seriously, this is really the only thing about Steam I don't like so far.

Thanks for the support :)

I think it may depend on how Steam works more than Arma and BIS, but it's worth getting the word out there.

That would be a useful indeed.

Just copy the addons folder of the stable to another location,

rename the addons folder of the dev temporarily when you want to use the stable,

and reference the copy of the addons folder of the stable via the mod parameter.

Yeah, it's bothersome when I have to re-download 300+ MB of stuff every time I want to play with someone using the default branch.

Steam makes a life easier, haven't you heard?

;2366165']Just copy the addons folder of the stable to another location' date='

rename the addons folder of the dev temporarily when you want to use the stable,

and reference the copy of the addons folder of the stable via the mod parameter.[/quote']

What about the .exe file and others, they are not changed?

well true. so just copy the whole folder from the stable version :)

That's one way, but at a price of the size of entire Addons folder. I was hoping to avoid such an approach, but if it's the only way.... Hmm, if there was a windows utility that would 'back up' files as they are rewritten by the updater...-

Well you can use a data version tool like git/svn, but they still need an initial copy of the data for the (delta) patches.

Steam makes a life easier, haven't you heard?

I have no problem with Steam otherwise, so...yeah. And it's always a fast download, it's just time wasted that could be spent playing. :p

I'm pretty sure I've seen some games have a separate Steam entry for a "beta", so I wonder if that is possible? However it might require a full other copy of the game to be installed, not sure how Steam works in that regard.

I wish they would list the version number in the changelog. already I've had to 'verify my cache' a few times to get the latest version. that along with not knowing what version number I should have, means I have to constantly 'verify my cache' just to be sure I have the latest version

this is probably an issue with Steam's updates, but having the version number listed with the changelog seems like something you would expect