Sign in to follow this  
Azref

Is it worth buying?

I'm an avid Arma player and have been playing since the original OFP, however recently i'm looking for a more WW2 orientated experience. I've tried I44 and although it is a good mod it focuses on the western front too much for my liking. I've always had an interest inn the Eastern front in WW2 and this game was suggested by a friend, as it uses the Arma 2 engine i've come to love.

My only worry is that after doing some research online the multiplayer seems to be dead and there are no mods available atm (except for the paid D-Day DLC).

Is it likely mods will be available in the future?

Have the devs pulled all support i.e. future patches and updates?

If anyone can give me some info it would be greatly appreciated.

MP: Dead

Mods/Addons: Not gonna happen

Patches: Very unlikely

The game was officially dumped by AWAR weeks ago after their forum came back.

http://forum.iron-front.com/forum.php

The game itself isn't bad, so if you're happy with SP, messing around with the editor and LAN then sure

but don't expect MP to make a comeback and consider all support for this game over.

There's also this

http://ironfront.forumchitchat.com

Don't get your hopes up though, the same thing happened with Dragon Rising, a small group of people tried keeping that game on life support

for a few months before they gave up.

The MP situation isn't all about bugs and support, it's the bad taste left in people mouths around this games history.

Edited by jblackrupert

No. Don't buy. This have followed the step of sunken dragon. There were a lot of empty promises made for this game. It has great potential but the developers have dumped this game. I regretted buying it even at 75% off seeing that I can't convince anyone else to get this to gather up some games with when ARMA 2 Combined Ops is $5 less and offers a lot more...

No modding, DLC split community (lite version not delivered as promised), MP dead, Mods and addons should've been around since the start but a game on this engine without it is a dead game. There will no longer be another patch and their next sequel I assume will be like what Rusty River was...

Just wait for September 1939 if you want something more Eastern Frontish.

If you, like me, are fan of Arma2 then with Iron Front you get:

Four new maps and a whole bunch of weapnos, vehicles, armour and aircraft that have not appeared in Arma2 or Operation Arrowhead.

I am enjoying it very much.

The game is abandoned by Devs and won't get fixed anymore...a lot is still ...broken...stay away from it...the game is dead, online too. And moding is not allowed nor easily possible so no community fixes. Iron Front is NO ArmA II in WWII

IFL44 is just a bucket full of broken promises.

What beagle said. The game has a lot of very good features, like the armor penetration system and high quality maps, but also a lot of half-assed and broken features that will now never get fixed. And of course the fact that the game is pretty much dead anyway, no mods, no patches, no players.

Ya listen to them, they know everything about the game, instead of thinking for yourself and doing your own research,

i think you will discover theres more going on for the game then meets the eye.

Online isn't the only way to play the game, its not an mp based, its just one option.

i never played it online but couple times, and preferred it in SP, you never supported the game so I really dont know why you keep posting.

if you dont like the game then move on, whats the problem?

Sabotaging any idea to play the game for anyone new seems to be your quest, why dont you find something to do instead of spreading negativity around about Iron Front.

Information is one thing about the game and its history, but putting the negative vibe on doesn't allow anyone to make their own decision, seems you prefer

everyone to be on your bandwagon and rant and moan, and complain, and hate something that you cant get over.

If the game is dead for you then why are you still here?

Online isn't the only way to play the game, its not an mp based, its just one option.

i never played it online but couple times, and preferred it in SP, you never supported the game so I really dont know why you keep posting.

if you dont like the game then move on, whats the problem?

Sabotaging any idea to play the game for anyone new seems to be your quest, why dont you find something to do instead of spreading negativity around about Iron Front.

Information is one thing about the game and its history, but putting the negative vibe on doesn't allow anyone to make their own decision, seems you prefer

everyone to be on your bandwagon and rant and moan, and complain, and hate something that you cant get over.

Because, we do not want people to make the same mistake as those who jumped on the sinking ship had. We don't want people wasting the extra $30 for a dead horse and ARMA goes on sale much more oftenly as well. It's $5 more than ARMA 2 CO when you can get ARMA 2 CO alongside with I44 mod. ARMA came with modding right out of the box and IFL1944 never did. There is no legacy left for IFL1944. It never lived long stretched enough, nor developed far enough, nor had any effort put in far enough to carry on. Why don't you look at Operation flashpoint the first. A decade later, it still lives as old as it may be. There's streams and endless mods throughout it so it won't die. It was like an ancient ship that finally reach shore and then ended up preserve in a museum, thats why it ain't dead. Take a look at IFL1944 and Sunken Dragon. Let's call it the Titanic. People thought it was "unsinkable". It hit an iceberg and sank. It was left with empty promises, holes, and a lot more flaws that it was just not worth patching up the mess. No modding support, what more can be done. It's basically a rip off of ARMA 2 lite painted in WW2 skins. Could it have been more than what it should had? Yes it can, but it never did live up to what it should have been. If it did, then it would have been another gem, but it never did.

As for templarGFX, yeah, the guy stuck to a sunken ship for a good while, but he made some great OFP DR missions from what I've seen lurking around.

Because of ArmA II & III...this is the official BIS Forum.

As a matter of fact the game is quite alive. And it's not about mods or patches, nothing of the sort. It's all about organization of the game process. There are Russian iron front and arma2 severs that are buzzing. They have hundreds devoted players and their games are very exiting even to watch. They play regularly, mostly on weekends. The games strictly organized out of it as well as inside. You must get your registration on the server before taking part in any game. Every new game is announced in advance. There is a chain of command and you play only your slot. Every new player has the probation time up to three mouths. So, other players won't take any crazy stuff. Suffice it to say that the arma2 sever is named Serious Games. My point is that it's not right to say that the game's multiplayer is down. It's not really developer's business to lure people into multiplayer. Find friends, build the server and go ahead play.

Sorry Günter, but you sound like that dude Templargfx who refused to admit Dragon Rising was done and kept clinging to a ship that had already sunk.

Refusing to admit the game is dead or done?! Is that what you think i'm doing or acting like?

Lol I have nothing to admit, and i cannot refuse, I know the game is dead in terms of Awar not working on it anymore and have

moved on and working on a new WW2 project, so I do know the game has been shutdown, there is no support from the developer or the publisher,

so I do agree with you all in that regards.

But for me and many others its not dead, I still play it, build mission in it, and im still getting people submitting IF missions to my site, and very soon here again another

coop campaign will be released and added to the site, that Im honored to host.

The MR (Mission Repository) my website, currently hosts 130 missions for Iron Front in total, that is:

-21 Sp

-23 coops

-2 campaigns - one is 13 missions and the other is 12 missions by major Mayhem, with a new 10 mission campaign to be released soon and focuses on a Poland aspect of the war

-2 templates

-6 mission packs with a total of 36 missions

-17 mp mode type missions which are your warfare, evolution, domination, type missions, ect,.

-and 4 addons, with 1 of them being new textures to allow you to have Fallshirmjager units in the game where by default there are/were none.

And theres more that has been released, and more that are being worked on, as well as a large project which a number of us 5+ are working on.

Seems to me from the amount of downloads Im seeing from my site as my bandwidth meter is around 1gb for downloaded files,

that people are still playing the game, I'm still getting pms on my site, and forums about missions and other things related, Im still getting people

becoming members of the site, adn recently just got a Large donation which now covers me for the next 6 months, which means I have no subscription

bill for 6 months, thanks to the IF community, and yes for IF because I personally spoke with the member that donated, who only plays iron front.

Personally i really dont care what you guys do, or think about Iron Front it, because it may be dead officially, and obviously not supported anymore,

but apparently alot of the fans that still care about the game and do still play it be it through sp, or in large coop groups, or in a

unit or clan, means the community is still alive.

Take your dead horse and your sunken ships and uninstall the game, which im sure you already have, while your all at it and take a hint

yourselves and move on instead of acting like a bunch of thugs with nothing better to do then ruin or pee on other people's interest, and enjoyment.

If the game is dead then I really see no reason for you guys to be talking about Iron Front at all considering all you all ever

say is something negative about the game and the situation, obviously you dont really know that much because your not involved.

Just look at what the OP has asked:

Is it likely mods will be available in the future?
Answer: no, unless someone from publisher/dev is doing a stunt trying to get a bit more ca$h.
Have the devs pulled all support i.e. future patches and updates?
Answer: yes, devs/publishers have pulled all support and moved on to new projects. Conclusion: If you are not a diehard WW2 fan and don't like buggy + abandoned game projects - stay away or wait until you can grab IF for a few bucks. Your money won't help or do any magic to IF.

Maybe those posting here should at least know what they are talking about. IF patched to 1.05 is far from being buggy.

Yeah sure maybe from a old WW2 fanboy/man's view everything in IF looks brighter.... answers are given, case closed. Each to his own addictions and decisions. :)

It seems this thread has awoken the raging trolls, after doing some more research I'm still tempted by this game, yes the support may have been pulled but as a single player Eastern Front WW2 game it looks very solid to me especially in a market that lacks this setting.

Gunter I've been using your site for I44 missions and having looked at the IF missions some look great and seem to have the type of content i'm after.

I have also seen that there is a community patch being developed by fans for IF that seems to correct alot of the conplaints as well.

There are Russian iron front and arma2 severs that are buzzing. They have hundreds devoted

Then they must be unlisted because these "Buzzing" servers never seem to appear in the browser.

The most I've ever seen checking at various times of the day/night, weekdays and weekends is 20 across several servers.

They have hundreds devoted players

Hundreds?.. MP maxed out at 450 across all servers on a good day/night for the first month of release and then quickly sank after that.

The largest was a hackfest.

Then they must be unlisted because these "Buzzing" servers never seem to appear in the browser.

The most I've ever seen checking at various times of the day/night, weekdays and weekends is 20 across several servers.

Hundreds?.. MP maxed out at 450 across all servers on a good day/night for the first month of release and then quickly sank after that.

The largest was a hackfest.

People game enough to spend 3 full games a week.

One life, complexity expert, using TS simulated radio. Chat and voice chat disabled. Also there are no markers. And the cards in rank and file.

Link to the forum. http://www.arma2.ru/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=239

Foreign players will be very happy.

In fact Arma2SeriousGames community has more than 1600 members. IFHardMode is much less than that but still enough players to enjoy the game. You can find their servers on GameTracker. As I said they play regularly at particular time. You can't play with them anyway, until you are fluent in Russian. Besides they have pretty strict rules that most of the players from other countries can't stomach :) At least that's what I've learnt. My point was that you shouldn't ditch a game's multiplayer saying "the multiplayer's dead, there are no players" just because you cannot organize it. It's rather your problem, not the game's.

---------- Post added at 11:05 ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 ----------

Foreign players will be very happy.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. How can you expect them to be happy if there is not a single word on the forum written in English except the game's name?

Maybe those posting here should at least know what they are talking about. IF patched to 1.05 is far from being buggy.

Have you played the SP Campaigns? How are those "far from buggy"?

Well, you shouldn't buy such a game for its vanilla campaigns. I'm still struggling with the Manhattan mission of ArmA2...

Well, you shouldn't buy such a game for its vanilla campaigns. I'm still struggling with the Manhattan mission of ArmA2...

Yep, then you turn the blame against me. It's my fault for expecting that vanilla campaigns should be able to be completed and not have obvious game-breaking bugs. No, not little bugs like some guys arms going out of control, actual game-breaking ones where missions never end and where triggers don't activate unless I proceed in a VERY specific way.

No, at least the campaigns in ArmA II were able to be completed and the bugs were bearable. IF44, on the other hand, good god.