Sign in to follow this  
Bahger

Sniper rifle/optic available in Alpha?

I was wondering if there is a sniper rifle available yet and, if so, whether it can take a supressor and what might be the best available optic to attach. Also, I do not remember if high-mag sights work with NVGs. If any of you know the classnames, please post, otherwise I will look names up here. Thanks.

There is no sniper rifle in the alpha, you will get it later. :)

There is a Designated Marksman rifle the M14 SAGE EBR, throw on the HAMR, thats the best sight out of all of them. There are plenty of Army Snipers that use this rifle at distances of 600 yards or more.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-FVwZVQtbFpo/TZt5-TmjxqI/AAAAAAAAACs/N2YkoWB5sW4/s1600/Army_M14_Sage_Stock.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Z3QO2p2scJM/UNapBq6eJ7I/AAAAAAAAAGM/ZIsmno_KcDY/s1600/sage-ebr-stock.jpg

Edited by cobra4v320

Those are designated marksmen, not snipers.

Well, you did say they were snipers.

Can we equip a supressor on either of these DMRs?

Can we equip a supressor on either of these DMRs?
By scripting or through a unit's init; in the Editor placing a Marksman for either faction (armed with either of the aforementioned DMRs) and then adding this addPrimaryWeaponItem "muzzle_snds_B"; to their Initialization will cause them to spawn with/have the Sound Suppressor (7.62 mm) on their rifle in addition to the existing attachments (IR Laser Pointer, 7.62mm 20Rnd Mag, and ARCO for OPFOR or RCO for BLUFOR). For other units who don't have one of these rifles as their default weapon you'd have to instead use, for example:
removeAllWeapons this;

this addMagazines ["20Rnd_762x45_mag", 5];

this addWeapon "arifle_MXM_F";

this addPrimaryWeaponItem "optic_Arco";

this addPrimaryWeaponItem "muzzle_snds_B";

This results in the unit in question having its default weapons removed and then being given a twenty-round 7.62 x 45 mm magazine and four spare magazines, a MXM, an ARCO and then a Sound Suppressor (7.62 mm).

If you want the EBR instead then replace "arifle_MXM_F" with "srifle_EBR_F", if you want a different optic and/or a side rail device then replace/add the corresponding classnames (i.e. "optic_Hamr"), and if you want a different number of magazines then replace the number after "20Rnd_762x45_mag" (in this case 5) with the desired total number of magazines (including the one loaded into the weapon) as needed, just remember that you have to add the magazines before adding the weapon or else the weapon will not be loaded at first.

Yes Army Snipers do use the M14 SAGE EBR.

Why? What's the purpose of sending someone trough sniper school, produce very expensive and complicated sniper rifles, and then give them DMRs?

Why? What's the purpose of sending someone trough sniper school, produce very expensive and complicated sniper rifles, and then give them DMRs?

DMR's and more common Sniper Rifles such as the AWP, M21 and M110 SASS all have their place in the battlefield. Some Sniper's may use a DMR such as the M14 SAGE EBR when the need call's for it when something large would be ill suited to the task in hand.

Oh and the M14 EBR has effective range varying between 500-850m depending on Optics and Shooter's experience. Hardly a useless weapon for any trained marksman.

Very helpful Chortles, many thanks. By pasting the code you saved me a lot of work. I already had a 4-man SpecOps squad all kitted out for night ops but I wanted a little more range. This should do the trick.

I hope this works, too:

this addPrimaryWeaponItem "acc_pointer_IR";

---------- Post added at 12:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 PM ----------

Hmm, that optic won't let me actually look through the sight with RMB. It just brings the sight up to my face so I'm looking through the dot attachment at the top. Is there some optics command I might be unaware of? Bear in mind, I've only tested it with NVGs so far.

Edited by Bahger

Hmm, that optic won't let me actually look through the sight with RMB. It just brings the sight up to my face so I'm looking through the dot attachment at the top. Is there some optics command I might be unaware of? Bear in mind, I've only tested it with NVGs so far.

Bring the scope up then hold the left ctrl key down while pressing the rmb. It will toggle between the two optics.

Bring the scope up then hold the left ctrl key down while pressing the rmb. It will toggle between the two optics.

How odd, that didn't work for me. Can see through the top dot scope but not through the main optic. Could it be because it's night and I'm using NVGs?

EDIT: Doesn't work in daytime either.

Edited by Bahger

dmr's and more common sniper rifles such as the awp, m21 and m110 sass all have their place in the battlefield. Some sniper's may use a dmr such as the m14 sage ebr when the need call's for it when something large would be ill suited to the task in hand.

Oh and the m14 ebr has effective range varying between 500-850m depending on optics and shooter's experience. Hardly a useless weapon for any trained marksman.

thank you!!! As I stated, I know Army Snipers who deploy with the M14 SAGE EBR as their primary weapon.

---------- Post added at 21:32 ---------- Previous post was at 21:13 ----------

How odd, that didn't work for me. Can see through the top dot scope but not through the main optic. Could it be because it's night and I'm using NVGs?

EDIT: Doesn't work in daytime either.

Hit the / button on the keypad. You cant look through the scopes with NVGs unless its the reflex, try this http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=19809

Edited by cobra4v320

Very helpful, as always, Cobra, thank you.

Very helpful Chortles, many thanks. By pasting the code you saved me a lot of work. I already had a 4-man SpecOps squad all kitted out for night ops but I wanted a little more range. This should do the trick.

I hope this works, too:

this addPrimaryWeaponItem "acc_pointer_IR";

I gave this a try and it worked just fine; so long as "remove existing weapons, apply total magazines, then apply weapon" come before the accessories, then seemingly the accessories may be applied in any order. For what it's worth, my explanations are derived from a mix of the BI wiki's entries on Arma 3 scripting commands and Sickboy's links to classname lists, so if you use the same format that I used (which I derived through the BI wiki) you should generally be able to swap out weapons and accessories just fine.

Note that some specific weapon/attachment combos have their own classnames so that you can just add those instead of having to add the base weapon and then those particular attachments individually, but neither the MXM's combos nor the EBR's include the Sound Suppressor (7.62 mm) so you'll still have to add that yourself as seen this sample unit init:

removeAllWeapons this; 
this addMagazines ["20Rnd_762x45_mag", 5]; 
this addWeapon "srifle_EBR_ARCO_point_grip_f"; 
this addPrimaryWeaponItem "muzzle_snds_b"; 
this addMagazines ["16Rnd_9x21_Mag", 2]; 
this addWeapon "hgun_P07_snds_F";

In this case, the first line removes all of the unit's default weapons and ammo, the second line adds five 7.62 x 45 mm twenty-round magazines, the third line adds an EBR with ACO and IR Laser Pointer (adding the ammo before adding the weapon is the reason that the weapon is loaded when the unit spawns), the fourth line adds a Sound Suppressor (7.62 mm), the fifth line adds a pair of 9 x 21 mm handgun magazines, and the sixth line adds a P07 with Sound Suppressor (9 mm). While you could remove the unit's default primary weapon and its magazines specifically so as to leave the sidearm and its magazines and/or a launcher and its missiles intact, I haven't learned how to do so without the character defaulting to said sidearm and/or launcher upon spawn and having to manually switch to the primary weapon.

If you add a combo's classname but then add an different optic afterward then the subsequent optic overrides the one in the combo, though of course if a desired combo has its own classname you should just be applying that.

To my knowledge I haven't seen the Sound Suppressor (7.62 mm) made available in any of the default crates, so to add them to a specific crate in a mission you would for example write this addItemCargo ["muzzle_snds_b", 5] in a crate's init to add five Sound Suppressor (7.62 mm) to that specific crate. (Using addItemCargoGlobal instead means that this command "is executed on all connected clients in multiplayer.")

Ever since the stable patch (the change was introduced in a dev build) "hybrid optics" default to the collimator/red dot sight instead of defaulting to the magnified scope.

As cobra4v320 said, the dot sights are compatible with NVGs but the scopes are not, so if you switch between the sights ( "/" on the numpad or Left Ctrl+right mouse button) the NVG effect will be removed and you'll be looking through the scope as if you didn't have the NVGs on/activated, then they'll be reactivated automatically once you switch back to the dot sight.

EDIT: It is possible to add a Sound Suppressor (9 mm) to a unit that already has either of the alpha's two vanilla pistols using the following init line:

this addHandgunItem "muzzle_snds_L"

This should be useful if the only change that you want to make to a unit is to attach a suppressor to the pistol only.

Edited by Chortles