Sign in to follow this  
toadball

M16A4 Example

Hello,

I like a fair few others have been tinkering around getting to grips with the new features for weapons, I feel I've had some success with my efforts and figured I'd put forward the results.

Using the ArmA 1 and ArmA 2 sample model packs I have cobbled together a plain jane M16A4 that is compatible with all the current Alpha weapon attachments and weapon sights*.
I have also included the MLOD, model.cfg and config.cpp files used in the addon as a seperate download so that it could maybe be a bit of help to those looking at incorporating the new features into their weapon addon/s.
The MLOD and config files are being released under the same licence that the donor sample models were.

*Currently there is no ability to add Muzzle Devices to this, however the proxy and relevant space for adding this are present in the model and the config.cpp

Screenshots:
Album Link

4Bc0L5jm.png peVqldim.png

CaKmGnam.png Y5Ym5UYm.png

Download Link/s:
MLOD & Config Files

Classnames:
Weapon: tb_arifle_m16a4
Magazines:
Tracer: tb_30Rnd_556x45_T_Stanag
Ball: tb_30Rnd_556x45_B_Stanag

Credits
Model & Textures: Bohemia Interactive
Model Edits: ToadBall
Config: ToadBall

ACwAAAAAAQABAAACADs%3D#pwsc-%7BSnNsWUJlY

Edited by ToadBall

Thank you so much, I'm going to grab this right now and work on variants, been trying to get a working M16A4 across to the game and thanks to you, I can finally do it with the variants.

EDIT: Having said that; it looks from your screenshots that you're having the same issue I was having with regard to hand placement being off due to the size of the weapons in A3, their hand animation placements are off for the M16. That and the shadow LOD appears to not mirror the carrying handle. Not a big deal and I know this is released as an example to help people, just letting you know in case you didn't notice already.

Regards,

Austin.

Edited by AustinA1986
Minor feedback

hello

im big problem my sight is shifted

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/2510/107410screenshots201303.jpg (121 kB)

then we can see that the image of the gun disappears when you put a lamp or a laser above

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/5433/2013032500002x.jpg (178 kB)

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/9885/2013032500003.jpg (179 kB)

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/6016/2013032500004.jpg (177 kB)

It also has a small problem at hand on the weapon as if it you could be if you add a grip have the time to give it a bit more stability?

2013032500010.jpg

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/4807/2013032500011v.jpg (112 kB)

58963000large.jpg

sorry my english is bad i use google translate im french ..

thks for the mod =)

I'll edit my post to help you =)

Edited by YouRek

@YouRek I've also encountered the problem you've shown, it's due to there being no image created for the specific attachment combinations, simple oversight, most single and multiple attachment images are present, just not for a couple of combinations (now repaired on my end, created a paa for the missing gear_tb_arifle_m16a4_st_ca.paa). As for the Holo-sights being off-centre, I believe it was posted in a number of custom weapon mods (FHQ's M4 pack comes to mind), I believe it may be due to the eye proxy on the p3d but that is pure guessing.

@ToadBall I've done a bit of testing and have also discovered that it sounds like a bolt action reload sound to me, will have a look at the config and do some changes to rectify that on my end. Thank you again for releasing this in example form.

Regards,

Austin.

Edited by AustinA1986
Moving my WIP to my own thread.

Bah finally we can go back to present day weapons. Austin no cookies unless u complete this. Thanks at toadball

hey , thanks a lot for this , you help the beginner like me !! thanks , do you have the same for car ?

Brilliant! Will be using this to test my Common Optics pack :D <3 you so much right now!

Thank you for the feedback, I currently have a splitting noggin and have been lumped with the dubious honour of running the office while the boss is out of town for the week so any updates to this will be slow.

A brief response in general:

Hand animations are dodgy as they are the ones for the MXM, I at present lack the time and or motivation to reacquaint myself with setting up custom hand anims or modeling a VFG/AFG.

The sounds are the dulcet melodies of the TRG21 with the reload animation being given by the MX series, not following the bolt action sound you describe though I'll have a gander.

Regarding off set on holographic sights, this is a recurring issue as has already been stated and all I can put it down to is the view point in the sight memory LOD not lining up with the front sight post. However, the point of aim when using these should be the reticle if you are unsure. Lacking official MLODs for reference proxy placement and scaling is very much trial and error at present and Getting a lot of this right will take time.

The gear image error is an example as to why you should double check you packed everything...

I will try to have an update to this within the next week or so likely with the addition of a M16A4 with the M203 UGL not far behind.

Edit: Something Slatts may find interesting, shall likely also kick out a simple weapon sight example also Though being proxies there is not much to them unless you're working on holographic or red dot sights.

Edited by ToadBall

This looks amazing! I'm afraid I only have the Alpha Lite version, so could somebody be so kind as to post a gameplay video of this baby in action? Cheers! :)

Most excellent, especially the whole "look what we found, paying it forward" bit. Sincerely appreciated, on many levels. :thumbsup:

Looking through various BIS texture files for the M16 family, I had the though of BIS really needing to clean up their UVW mapping. Hopefully they make a new M16 model themself and keep things cleaner this time around. The current texture for the standard M16 has lots and lots of space just messy or duplicated. Two identical leaf sights and upper recievers mapped for one M16 texture as an example. The m203 underslung GL in the same M16 texture file + another one by itself. It's just.. messy.

Here's hoping for improvments :)

Looking through various BIS texture files for the M16 family, I had the though of BIS really needing to clean up their UVW mapping. Hopefully they make a new M16 model themself and keep things cleaner this time around. The current texture for the standard M16 has lots and lots of space just messy or duplicated. Two identical leaf sights and upper recievers mapped for one M16 texture as an example. The m203 underslung GL in the same M16 texture file + another one by itself. It's just.. messy.

Here's hoping for improvments :)

It's production art. If it works and it looks good, no one cares what you had to do to get it done on schedule.

AlexVestin - you know how old that model is? original model (m16a2) was made for vbs1 , later they been updated and used in vbs2/arma1 :p

For the off-axis sights: One thing I've found when working on something else was that some of the BI models are offcenter, i.e. if you look at it from the front or back (relative to the gun), the red vertical line at 0 doesn't cross the barrel/sight. I think you might have it working fine as long as you make sure the memory points for the barrel, the eye, and the proxy for the optical sight are all along that center line.

Is there a sample pack with the BI textures that modders can use, or is it just the m16 that's free?

It's production art. If it works and it looks good, no one cares what you had to do to get it done on schedule.

Their standard has raised now, though. If they decide to bring back the M4 and M16 in ArmA3 they'll probably make a new one.

AlexVestin - you know how old that model is? original model (m16a2) was made for vbs1 , later they been updated and used in vbs2/arma1 :p

I was not aware that it was as old as from vbs1. Pretty interesting. I did know that it was used in vbs2/arma1 :)

A brief update on things.

I have gotten the M16A4 with M203 UGL in game and done a very rough config for it. Currently working away at getting discrete eye points ligned up correctly for the leaf sight and animations for UGL reloading.

Some screens for your perusal:

pPwcSYym.png jZdGJgQm.png

I have begun work on a pair of hand animations for the weapons (images to follow testing) that I will include with the MLODs.

Addressing some points:

Alignment of points within the memory LOD on the latest version I'm working on is down to less than a mil (mm) horizontal and vertical alignment difference. The issue remains, this is due as has been mentioned before, a different eye point being defined in the optic model which with the BI stuff I have no control over (Provision of a MLOD for the new holographic sights could help with confirming/refuting this). This is less obvious due to the nature of the iron sights on most of the weapons provided with the alpha.

I have been asked about providing a config entry for a weapons/ammo crate, in short I will not be, the config provided is simply to show how one can go about getting a weapon in to the game. Adding desired content to a crate via the editor is a 1 minute job using the class names provided in the OP.

Hi ,

Its great example your kind to release in such a manner and like you i have the same problems with eye points etc ,

However that can be fixed going forward i`m sure .

What i struggle with is , if you reload the NEW weapons in a3 you will see a Translation animation ,the mag drops out before dissapearing and then at the moment it appears it is fake pushed up with another translation .

Have you worked on this or are you going too , i ask because you have done sucha clean job here with the rest i will wait and see what you achieve , If not i will take a satb myself but have few time unfortunately.

Cheers and thanks

Their standard has raised now, though. If they decide to bring back the M4 and M16 in ArmA3 they'll probably make a new one.

That was not my point. My point was that your critique of how neat the uv layout is misses the mark. If they're under a time crunch and they need new m16s, maybe the come out with something neater and maybe they don't.

That was not my point. My point was that your critique of how neat the uv layout is misses the mark. If they're under a time crunch and they need new m16s, maybe the come out with something neater and maybe they don't.

I have full understanding for that. "As long as it works, why fix it" :)

Only thing it can do by being messy is maybe complicate something down the line, so it's no big issue.