Sign in to follow this  
lordprimate

SweetFX in Arma 3

If your new to the arma series or maybe you just never new about SweetFX, Sux to be you!! download it and use it or else your missing out.

SweetFX Shader Suite

I use it mostly for the vibrance and Dither .. for Greater color variance.

Does not work for me. Changing settings nor do shutting down programs do anything.

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

K, uninstalled Windows Update KB2670838 and it begun to work.

K, does not work anymore. What is happening? Any suggestions?

Edited by Droikka

Wow I am really glad I posted this... maybe the Link to the SweetFX on Armaholic can be updated to include these links to the updated versions... Especially since from what i am reading a Version 2.0 is in the Alpha stage...

only slightly more sharpened and a little bit more contrast

screenshot3488lruv4.png screenshot3509tlu9h.png screenshot3836lpu9m.png screenshot3871ryuzb.png

Edited by tremanarch

only slightly more sharpened and a little bit more contrast

(some screens are before / after but without particular order)

Glad to see some people fiddling but these pictures are not to my taste. Regarding usage of sweetfx, try and use some decent looking images as a reference frame, so as to not fall to the "I'll just crush the blacks and brighten everything else" trap.

Note that: Using exposure to brighten the image artificially through sweetfx will "cyan-ise" blues, which looks awful. Instead use a hint of gain (liftgammagain settings) to brighten the highlights individually without too much colour problems. Also note that because this adjusts postfx it is AFTER the HDR pass of Arma, brightening the image highlights with this will cause an imbalance of bloom, so make any gamma/brightness changes in Arma3 itself.

Vibrancy and saturation are likewise subject to problems due to being postfx, the "cartoon effect" of over saturating an image, especially when combined with increased contrast, is quite a put off.

Your sweetfx setting excels in creating a vibrant range of colours and shades when there aren't many to start with, your dusk screenshots show that most clearly (and I'm betting overcast with those settings would be great as well), but in daylight it doesn't work near so well, unfortunately.

In screenshot 3 the increase in brightness has washed out the horizon, the foreground looks quite a bit better but the colours are off. I think this screenshot shows something that confuses me about the new HDR. It looks BRILLIANT at night, the contrast, lighting, everything is perfect. But in daytime it looks quite poor, the sunlight should be MUCH more intense (in engine!), and shadows should be slightly darker and a little bit more blue. Your swfx setting looks to me like an attempt to make that happen in postfx, which will never look quite right.

Please note that this is all constructive criticism, this is, of course, a subjective matter. I don't mean any offence by these statements, apologies if I've given any.

others

i mainly use it to remove the green teint and some sharpness..

screenshot20583qxu4e.png screenshot20610nvusy.png screenshot22200mzubj.png screenshot22230wiuaw.png screenshot23082bkuh0.png screenshot23123pousj.png screenshot24568fgu0q.png screenshot24589xcuk8.png screenshot2969squif.png screenshot239442u7t.png

Edited by tremanarch

you cant use fraps at the same time... maybe you have some other injection stuff going on too --

the sharpen effect for distant trees i dont like. and the removal of the green colour is sometimes nice but sometimes too bright. original is still good! I can live without sweetFX and I probably will do in the future - its just to show what could be possible, and maybe if I wanna take some artistic screenshots. I also consider it as a bit of cheating cause it sharpens and makes it easier for the eye to spot soldiers in the bushes and far.. Think of it as taking drugs / coffeine / etc - sameish effect.

screenshot6166nfu3b.png screenshot6188wnufk.png screenshot7397lausj.png screenshot7414s0uzt.png screenshot127923nunm.png screenshot12811w8usm.png screenshot20167ycuqt.png screenshot20203fgu1q.png

Edited by tremanarch

Thanks for the shots tre.

I like the settings of your second screenshot pack.

It is way more subtle than your first screenshots and your last.

Or are you were using the same sweetfx settings for all images?

Can you provide me a link with your sweetfx settings of that second screenshot pack? I'd like to try that out.

yes theyre changed - i toned them down I tried to make the difference only subtle - wanted to get rid of the greenish vanilla teint - and even these are a bit too sharp in the far distance for my tastes.

of course I can provide the settings - its a pleasure:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/url6x9

Ah closing Fraps made it work, thanks. I think I'll try and make my own profile.

I made some Benchmarks on Standard and Very High Settings - and All I can say with my Preset it doesnt matter all that much in frames.. 4100 - 4200 and 5300 - 5200 in Score using Arma3Mark....

Alrighty, so I spent 15 minutes fiddling with this until I got something that worked half decently. Artificially increased the contrast by brightening the highlights and darkening the shadows. I tried to capture a bit more of that "Mediterranean island" feel, so there's a bit of cyan in the highlights.

There's also a hint of sharpening, and, yeah, I'm guilty of liking vignette. That can easily be disabled, but I could also upload a version without it if you so desire.

Here's an album of examples: http://imgur.com/a/RVgzW#0

And here's a link to the settings:http://www.sendspace.com/file/tvs6x0

It seems my Sweet FX doesnt refresh when I alt+tab my game....

This makes it very hard to adjust the options=/...

Any solution for this?

press [Pause] to refresh

[Printscreen] do Screenshot

and [scrollock] to deactivate / activate

Nice. This thread reminded me to set this up. Using SweetFX Configurator as the SMAA custom tuning is much better than ArmA's presets....:cool:

My goal was a few things. Get rid of the light blue haze that hangs over everything, no more neon grass near sunset, darken the blacks up some more while bringing shadow detail up and getting rid of the white crush that plagues A3. Also added a touch of sharpening. Very subtle changes that made a big difference for me....:)

Album View

Edited by SIMJEDI

Nice. This thread reminded me to set this up. Using SweetFX Configurator as the SMAA custom tuning is much better than ArmA's presets....:cool:

My goal was a few things. Get rid of the light blue haze that hangs over everything, no more neon grass near sunset, darken the blacks up some more while bringing shadow detail up and getting rid of the white crush that plagues A3. Also added a touch of sharpening. Very subtle changes that made a big difference for me....:)

Album View

Unfortunately all of these things (which were also partially what I had in mind with mine) aren't too achievable with postfx. I'm not at all happy with mine, I just wish I could inject it BEFORE the game's own HDR and post processing.

From my point of view, looking at these screenshots, I don't see a significant difference nor improvement between before and after pics sorry.

you notice it when playing. And at elast myself I dont want to change the whole game anything, its just that little sharpness and that little vibrance I like

since I use the 1.4 version somehow it looks a bit different - still not really happy.. but anyway nice pics

compare:

screenshot104356ehuts.png screenshot104496uiuvf.png screenshot104671csu83.png screenshot1046925zuyd.png

some nice pics

screenshot22568hguos.png screenshot474158lutv.png screenshot488235wu7y.png screenshot52735cjulk.png screenshot6302370u5s.png screenshot286287m1u2n.png

--

is there a method to record videos using fraps?

Edited by tremanarch