Sign in to follow this  
chipper

Overclocking system for ArmA 3

Just wondering if anyone else has overclocked their system (CPU/GPU/RAM) specifically to help run ArmA 3 and what results you had.

As for myself, I've seen HUGE gains after I OC'd my CPU and RAM. Brought new life to my old system. Now reconsidering if I need to build a new PC for ArmA 3.

Spec's:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 3.0GHz - OC'd to 4.0GHz (Got the biggest FPS gain from this, 10-15 more FPS)

8GB DDR2 RAM @ 800MHz - OC'd to 1066 (Noticeable gain of about 5-6 FPS after increasing the clock speed of my RAM)

GTX 580 1.5GB - Had the smallest gains after OCing the GPU, pretty much not worth it due to stability issues.

Also running ArmA 3 from a 128GB SSD.

I haven't had a chance to run a real benchmark on ArmA 3, but the Arma 2 benchmark #1 went from 31-34 FPS to 55 FPS.

For some people overclocking should not be reqiured as said its an engine problem just see if they fix that first then once they have done every thing possible I may look into OC

I have gotten excellent results overclocking my i5-2500k from 3.3 to 4.5ghz. I'd say I have almost double the FPS on high / ultra settings.

My current issue is that anytime I'm playing online, my FPS starts out good. However, after a while (30min to an hour), it will start to spike up and down making the game almost unplayable. :( I'd prefer a stable 20fps than getting spikes of 10/15 from 30+

Not sure what to do... :confused:

I OCed my phenom X4 940 BE from 3.0 to 3.2

Not much but I prioritized stability over anything. Not much differene in the game either obviously.

It's better to just upgrade. OCing lowers your hardware life and if you screw up it can do a lot of damage. Just upgrade your rig, it may cost more, but its safer and will last longer.

It's better to just upgrade. OCing lowers your hardware life and if you screw up it can do a lot of damage. Just upgrade your rig, it may cost more, but its safer and will last longer.

It may 'lower' hardware life, but most PC gamers/enthusiasts upgrade their hardware long before the point in time where an overclocked chip will crap itself.

I had an overclocked i7 920 for 4.5 years and it's still going strong... now being used in its overclocked state as part of my gf's PC.

These days, assuming you have adequate cooling, it's pretty hard to screw up an overclock.

The worst thing most people would experience is a bluescreen on boot or a failure in a stress testing program like OCCT or Linx, in which case, go back to your BIOS and try again! :p

Just wondering if anyone else has overclocked their system (CPU/GPU/RAM) specifically to help run ArmA 3 and what results you had.

As for myself, I've seen HUGE gains after I OC'd my CPU and RAM. Brought new life to my old system. Now reconsidering if I need to build a new PC for ArmA 3.

Spec's:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 3.0GHz - OC'd to 4.0GHz (Got the biggest FPS gain from this, 10-15 more FPS)

8GB DDR2 RAM @ 800MHz - OC'd to 1066 (Noticeable gain of about 5-6 FPS after increasing the clock speed of my RAM)

GTX 580 1.5GB - Had the smallest gains after OCing the GPU, pretty much not worth it due to stability issues.

Also running ArmA 3 from a 128GB SSD.

I haven't had a chance to run a real benchmark on ArmA 3, but the Arma 2 benchmark #1 went from 31-34 FPS to 55 FPS.

If I were you, I would upgrade the CPU, Motherboard and RAM.

Correct me if I am completey wrong, but, at the moment

I do believe that the CPU is bottlenecking the GPU, this might be one of the reasons of why.

There is no engine problem, the problem is this is a very demanding engine, it will eat weaksauce cpu's for breakfast, u need a rig like my sig to run it even close to well.