Sign in to follow this  
FinaL

Refueling planes?

Are there any refueling planes?

And i mean planes where you can actually refuel at.

Like a flying refueling-truck.

It would be absolutely totally awesome to hang under a plane gulping lots of fuel and then commence an attack.

Best regards,

FinaL

I think that would be awesome but by the time a lane would have been refueled you would be 20 miles from the island you started over.

It hasnt been done!

Hahaha...didnt know it was still possible to be still original in this modding world.

Well...someone go work on it and your name will be worshipped and gloryfiedforever!

Big greetz,

FinaL

Well, the plane can fly in little circles of course.

Just give it some waypoints and cycle them.

No biggy there.

But like a lot of add-ons, it doesnt really have to be useful in OFP. It would just be really cool to have a working refueling plane in the game.

Besides, i dont care if the island disappeared from the radar. i just follow the plane.

Greetz,

FinaL

For OFP i think this is the most likely plane for refueling missions.

KC-130

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/kc-130.htm

Notice on the pictures that it also does refueling missions for choppers.

Other candidates are:

the KC-10

http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/bomber/kc-10.htm

and the KC-135

http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/bomber/kc-135r.htm

Best regards,

FinaL

you know it would be impossible to keep the same speed as the refueling jet in OFP. if you had a flightstick w/ the really fancy schmancy throttle control (like i do wink.gif) it would, it might, it wont... more likely tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ALDEGA @ Aug. 03 2002,01:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">by the time you are aligned correctly for the in-air-refuel, the OFP island won't show up on your radar anymore wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

The island is never visible in the radar anyway tounge.gif

You never run out of fuel in this game anyways. Its one major problem they have not fixed. The only thing that comes close to real life is that Doge car addon. I have only run out of fuel one time in a brdm that I took from a AI soldier. Only reason that it ran out is that it was like a 3 hour mission and the AI never shut off the engine. mad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">you know it would be impossible to keep the same speed as the refueling jet in OFP. if you had a flightstick w/ the really fancy schmancy throttle control (like i do ) it would, it might, it wont... more likely

<span id='postcolor'>

Actually its not that hard.

I tried it with the Awacs addon and it is possible to stay close to the plane, you just got figure out at what speed the plane is flying.

Greetz,

FinaL

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The island is never visible in the radar anyway <span id='postcolor'>

Yadda yadda...;)

a function like autoland pilot? Autorefuel pilot, the plane flies to the refuel plane and refuels?

I agree with ALDEGA.

Sorry guys but in-flight refueling just isnt for OFP.

1.) Map sizes.....its just way too small however way you throw the dice.

2.) Unrealistic to have a F16, or UH60 or whatever enter into a combat zone with so little fuel that after 12 miles it will have to refuel.

3.) OFP just isnt a flight simulator....

Agh, anyway, if ya can MOD it and it works, good on ya, but if other more realistic and fun MODs/ADDONs can be made i'd suggest devoting time to them instead.

Although that new game ....think its called "Soldat: Secret Wars" will have somehting like 6000KM x 6000KM maps and together with a *well i've only looked it at over the weekend and so far it looks like funky stuff* very good scripting/programming language called PYTHON (www.python.org) such mods might be real easy to do.

Just for those interested in the real thing:

http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/air_combat/basket/

"Somewhere in the world, right now, a naval aviator is flying steady formation behind a refueling tanker plane. Using a 4-way switch atop the control stick, he?s trimming every ounce of stick force out of the flight controls and making minute changes to the throttle settings as he stays in close trail formation with the tanker plane while he consciously refrains from attempting to squeeze the black dye out of the control stick grip. He?s also wiggling his toes inside his flight boots, trying to relax his muscles, gather his courage and focus his mind in preparation for an intentional mid-air collision with a heavy, cone-shaped metal basket that is hanging from a 40 foot rubber hose, gently swaying in a 250 knot slipstream just ten feet in front of his windscreen. His goal is to gently slide his jet?s refueling probe into the center of that basket, connecting his jet?s fuel tanks to the large supply of jet fuel in the tanker?s bowels. If he misses on this attempt, he may damage his plane. If he fails to get his refueling probe into the basket at all, his jet will eventually run out of gas, flame out and plunge into the unforgiving ocean below? "

"Navy tanking is normally done in complete radio silence, something naval aviators have always taken great pride in. In this case, our tanker was orbiting at 7,000 ft above the ocean, in a 30 degree angle-of-bank turn, at a steady 250 knots airspeed. We joined up on the left side, close enough to see the necessary hand signals from the S-3 pilot."

"Then it was our turn at the basket. Sluggo cracked the throttles back a tiny bit and put the refueling probe switch to EXTEND. The probe door flicked open and the probe rotated out of its bay along the right side of the forward fuselage. Accompanying the probe was the rumbling sound of disturbed air as the slipstream dealt with this new impediment to its smooth and orderly flow across the forward fuselage, a sound not unlike that of rolling a car window down at 30 mph. Thumbing the wings back to 40deg and deselecting the right engine as a source of cockpit air conditioning, Sluggo had effortlessly completed his refueling checklist as we slid back behind the S-3 in one fluid motion. Once behind the S-3, he bumped the throttles back up a smidge and stabilized behind and just below the S-3 and its awaiting refueling hose, it?s basket gently swaying in the 250 knot slipstream. Before we could plug,"

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (.236 @ Aug. 05 2002,20:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just for those interested in the real thing:

http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/air_combat/basket/

"Somewhere in the world, right now, a naval aviator is flying steady formation behind a refueling tanker plane. Using a 4-way switch atop the control stick, he?s trimming every ounce of stick force out of the flight controls and making minute changes to the throttle settings as he stays in close trail formation with the tanker plane while he consciously refrains from attempting to squeeze the black dye out of the control stick grip. He?s also wiggling his toes inside his flight boots, trying to relax his muscles, gather his courage and focus his mind in preparation for an intentional mid-air collision with a heavy, cone-shaped metal basket that is hanging from a 40 foot rubber hose, gently swaying in a 250 knot slipstream just ten feet in front of his windscreen. His goal is to gently slide his jet?s refueling probe into the center of that basket, connecting his jet?s fuel tanks to the large supply of jet fuel in the tanker?s bowels. If he misses on this attempt, he may damage his plane. If he fails to get his refueling probe into the basket at all, his jet will eventually run out of gas, flame out and plunge into the unforgiving ocean below? "

"Navy tanking is normally done in complete radio silence, something naval aviators have always taken great pride in. In this case, our tanker was orbiting at 7,000 ft above the ocean, in a 30 degree angle-of-bank turn, at a steady 250 knots airspeed. We joined up on the left side, close enough to see the necessary hand signals from the S-3 pilot."

"Then it was our turn at the basket. Sluggo cracked the throttles back a tiny bit and put the refueling probe switch to EXTEND. The probe door flicked open and the probe rotated out of its bay along the right side of the forward fuselage. Accompanying the probe was the rumbling sound of disturbed air as the slipstream dealt with this new impediment to its smooth and orderly flow across the forward fuselage, a sound not unlike that of rolling a car window down at 30 mph. Thumbing the wings back to 40deg and deselecting the right engine as a source of cockpit air conditioning, Sluggo had effortlessly completed his refueling checklist as we slid back behind the S-3 in one fluid motion. Once behind the S-3, he bumped the throttles back up a smidge and stabilized behind and just below the S-3 and its awaiting refueling hose, it?s basket gently swaying in the 250 knot slipstream. Before we could plug,"<span id='postcolor'>

Yikes!! I click on a harmless looking link next thing I know I'm reading an article from my boss!

Anyways, I think that airplane refueling in OFP is not really needed or useful at this point due to the size of the islands. Chopper refueling would be useful though, so maybe a KC-130 or even MC-130P Combat Shadow?

I think Select this and Ballistic Addons are doing somethin like this for Spec Op addons.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Othin @ Aug. 08 2002,01:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yikes!!  I click on a harmless looking link next thing I know I'm reading an article from my boss!  

Anyways, I think that airplane refueling in OFP is not really needed or useful at this point due to the size of the islands.  Chopper refueling would be useful though, so maybe a KC-130 or even MC-130P Combat Shadow?<span id='postcolor'>

Hmm....I dunno...I don't think that would work.  Ever try keeping up with an airplane using a helicopter?  Unless you could make the MC-130P fly really slow it wouldn't work and even then the helicopters in OFP usually have to fly at an angle to get any serious speed plus nobody has figured out how to make aircraft fly at a specific altitude, so the refueling tanker would keep going up and down in relation to the terrain instead of flying at a steady altitude unless they stayed away from land and flew out at sea like in a wide orbit.

It would probably have to be more like a refueling truck where you simply only have to get within a certain distance to the tanker aircraft in order to refuel.  While not as realistic, it would be more practical and still would be kinda cool to do as the mission could start off with a half a tank or something which could be explained because the helicopter needed more weight to carry extra weapons or a full load of combat troops.

However personally I'd rather just see some type of AC-130 gunship or at least a MC-130 Combat Talon II for special ops.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Wow this is a great idea,

Maybe we can make it so you dont have 2 tank long.

Or yust for the eyecandy.

Maybe ill make a Kc-10.

Lets try that and see what happen.

Greetings Marcel

See pics over some day's

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FinaL @ Aug. 03 2002,00:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well, the plane can fly in little circles of course.

Just give it some waypoints and cycle them.

No biggy there.<span id='postcolor'>

Please tell me your joking. It's hard enough for pilots to line up behind a tanker flying dead straight. But turning? You'd probably end up damaging the tankers fuel line or bust your refueling nozel.

Look i tried it with the E2-sentry awacs airplane (pretending that would be my refueling plane) and i i could easily keep up with it.

And yes sometimes it turns in order to stay on the map. But it adds a little excitement :-)

Noone ever said it would be easy, but i its very well possible. and i am not even the best pilot around on this forum i am sure!