Sign in to follow this  
jetset22a

Movement Speed

To preface: upon looking up this topic in the forums, I've found the most popular suggestion regarding this topic seems to be using the mouse wheel to change movement speed. However, considering that I am actually extremely satisfied with the current control options (albeit with heavy changes in keybinds from the default scheme), I think my one pet peeve regarding the controls warrants its own thread.

As it is right now, the default slow walk is W+S and S+W, and changing combat pace (using combat pace toggle key) switches between a fast walk and run. The way it is now, the slow walk key overrides both run and fast walk. This doesn't seem to make much sense, as the run movement should be the overriding factor in movement speed, considering that slow walking and fast walking are just both functions of walking. This would definitely make changing movement speeds feel much more natural and intuitive, in the case that Arma 3 doesn't shift towards the popularly suggested, aforementioned scroll wheel movement speed scheme.

Alright, I know it might seem confusing, so I'll try to make things as abundantly clear as possible.

First we'll define 4 things, the movement speeds, and we'll name them. Ignore any kind of pace with the weapon down, that will just muddle things; just imagine there is no lower weapon function in the game.

1. Slow Walk (This is the slowest pace possible in the game, it is bound to Slow Forward and Walk or Run Toggle.)

2. Fast Walk (This is the combat pace in the game, it is the fastest possible movement with your gun up where you can still see crosshairs)

3. Run (This is the Pace right after Fast Walk and right before Sprint)

4. Sprint (This is the fastest pace, it is bound to Fast Forward and Turbo)

Now that we've defined these, what is the problem here? Let's talk about the controls and what they do.

1. Fast Forward

(Moves you forward at Sprint pace)

2. Slow Forward

(Moves you forward at Slow Walk pace)

3. Turbo

(Puts you into Sprint pace as long as you hold it. Notice that the difference between Turbo and Fast Forward is, it allows you to move backwards at Run pace as you hold it.)

4. Turbo Toggle

(Puts you into Sprint pace after first press. Allows for movement in all directions. Notice it causes you to Sprint Forward and Diagonally left and right, and causes you to Run strafe left and right, diagonally backwards left and right, and backwards. Takes you out of Sprint at second press.)

5. Combat Pace

(Switches you between Fast Walk and Run as you hold it. If you are in Run pace and you hold it, you will move at Fast Walk, and vice versa. Notice that I say it SWITCHES you, it DOES NOT PUT you in the pace, UNLESS you are already in either Fast Walk or Run. I will explain the problem below.)

6. Combat Pace Toggle

(Same function as Combat Pace, except you press the key once. Does not put you into either Fast Walk or Run, instead it switches between them. If you are already in Fast Walk or Run, it will appear as if it is putting you into either Fast Walk or Run, but it is merely switching between them. I will explain the problem below)

7. Walk or Run Temporary

(Puts you into Slow Walk pace as long as you hold it. Notice that the difference between Walk or Run Temporary and Slow Forward is, it allows you to move backwards at Slow Walk pace as you hold it.)

8. Walk or Run Toggle

(Puts you into Slow Walk pace after first press. Allows for movement in all directions. Takes you out of Slow Walk at second press.)

Now that you have a better understanding of the Controls and what they do, you can set up your controls for yourself as you see fit. It also allows me to better explain the issue I have with the current situation.

The Problem

Walk or Run Temporary, Walk or Run Toggle, Turbo, and Turbo Toggle all have the similar effects. They essentially "turn on" or put you into their respective paces. No matter what pace you are in, pressing the Walk or Run Toggle or Turbo Toggle will put you into Slow Walk or Sprint. The only way to get out of Walk or Run Toggle is to press it again, or press Turbo Toggle to switch to sprint and vice versa. If you DO press Walk or Run Toggle or Turbo Toggle again, it will put you in either Fast Walk or Run. This is dependent on whether you were in Fast Walk or Run last, or if you use the Combat Pace key instead of the toggle, it will put you in whichever pace you are in without holding the Combat Pace key.

Notice that Pressing or Holding Combat Pace Toggle or Combat Pace, respectively, WILL not put you into those paces, it will merely switch between them so, if you were in Fast Walk before you went into Sprint or Slow Walk, pressing Combat Pace Toggle will not change your pace, but will cause you to Run when you come out of Sprint or Slow Walk.

Why is this a Problem?

Let's say you are Slow Walking and you take contact. Your immediate reaction would be either to Sprint or Run. Now sprint works fine, but my immediate reaction is go to Run because it allows for much control over your character. Thus, I press Combat Pace Toggle to go into run. But wait, that does nothing, it only changes my previous Fast Walk pace into Run pace in the background, BUT not only am I still in Slow Walk, now I'm dead.

What is the Remedy?

Simple Remedy, change the Combat Pace and Combat Pace Toggle to switch between Slow Walk and Fast Walk instead of Fast Walk and Run, and make the Walk or Run Temporary and Walk or Run Toggle turn on Run instead of Slow Walk.

Edited by jetset22a

After further inspection, I realized this might actually be a bug. The controls are specifically called "combat pace toggle" and "Walk or Run toggle". The problem here is that combat pace toggle is actually the walk or run toggle, and the walk or run toggle is actually the combat pace toggle. At first glance, it might seem like this issue can be easily remedied by transposing the controls, but because of the aforementioned fact that the walk or run toggle actually overrides the other, it severely hinders intuitive movement. In other words, whether you're slow walking or combat pace walking, the walk or run toggle key should override either pace and put you into a running pace, instead it only switches between combat and running in the background, so if you are slow walking, and you press the key that's supposed to be walk or run toggle (currently it's the change combat pace option), you will remain slow walking. Any insight from Devs if this was a mistake on their part? It definitely seems like an oversight.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. The combat pace is basically running with your gun up (You have walk, run and sprint as I like to refer to it. Just to make clear of the way I call the speeds). Pressing the walk key doesn't really do anything with combat pace toggle, becauase it will keep your gun up anyway when you run. Doesn't it work fine the way it does?

move slow with your weapon in ready position ( W+S or S+W ) ist the same as the slow forward key in the options . you need it not. delete them

walk and run is wrong - its slow-moving and walk ;) maby BIS will corrector that. and delte the same optional - slow forward key. he blocks the rest when is activated

Edited by JgBtl292

I'm not sure what you're talking about. The combat pace is basically running with your gun up (You have walk, run and sprint as I like to refer to it. Just to make clear of the way I call the speeds). Pressing the walk key doesn't really do anything with combat pace toggle, becauase it will keep your gun up anyway when you run. Doesn't it work fine the way it does?

You actually have 4 speeds. (slow walk, walk, run, and sprint).

So, assuming that your change combat pace toggle is still C and your Walk or Run toggle is still W+S, try this. Go to your combat pace and walk forward with it. Now press C to run with your gun down. Feels natural right?

After doing that, try this: Go to your combat pace, then press W+S to slow walk. Now as your slow walking, press C to run with your gun down.

Try this and tell me what happens with the second example.

move slow with your weapon in ready position ( W+S or S+W ) ist the same as the slow forward key in the options . you need it not. delete them

walk and run is wrong - its slow-moving and walk ;) maby BIS will corrector that. and delte the same optional - slow forward key. he blocks the rest when is activated

You are correct, Walk and Run toggle is slow moving and walk, but what it actually does, is turn on Slow Walk, over everything else. Pressing change combat pace toggle will still switch between combat pace and run in the background, but you will still be Slow Walking because Slow walking is still "turned on" and won't be turned off unless you press your Walk and Run toggle again.

What BIS needs to fix is make the Walk and Run toggle not "turn on" slow walk, but "turn on" run, and change the change combat pace toggle from switching between Combat Pace and Run to switching between Combat Pace and Slow Walk.

Edited by jetset22a

I've got 2xW bind to Fast Forward. I was under the impression this is the same as Turbo (Sprint). Then Shift is Walk/Run temporary and 2xShift is Walk/Run Toggle. Now if you say that Walk/Run toggle is actually a modifier between slow forward and walk, then what the hell is running? I thought walking was just the standing up straight slow moving/walk with your gun lowered or raised was the same thing. And that running was more or less your default speed (With which you lower your gun). Then the combat pace keeps that default run speed, but gives you the ability to put your gun up.

I'm so confused right now.

You actually have 4 speeds. (slow walk, walk, run, and sprint).

I'd rather interpret it as "walk, jog, run, sprint". The jog is like a slow run and the run is just faster paced, while sprint is the individual maximum performance.

I have big problems with the controls and was cracking my head trying to set them up as I need, but failed. I sort of tolerate the way I have them now, even if they are very unintuitive for me. I am influenced by games like Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, Infiltration and Thief when it comes to movement, because those did them really nice.

First, I want to set my default movement mode, which must be WALK for me, because run by default freaks the living hell out of me. I want to work my way up from there.

Second, like in GR and R6 and Thief I want to hold down the run key to run.

Third, since unlike GR and R6 ArmA3 has a middle pace, the tactical (something I always wished for GR, R6 and Infiltration, because SWAT3 had it all along), I'd like to be able to toggle to it (from the default walk).

Fourth, when I hold down the key to run, releasing it should always put me to tactical. The same way it works in Infiltration, if you sprint from walk or jog, you always end up jogging after you release the sprint key. This is quite logical considering that in real life it is natural to slow down from a sprint to a slower faster pace, than to make a full stop, which burns more energy. Gameplay wise it means that you don't have to remember whether you were running or walking before you started sprinting, you will always know what will follow after the sprint and are prepared, whereas if you don't know, it is often an unpleasant surprise and unexpected.

The trick is, I'd like to do all the above with the same key. My movement key is the space bar. So I start the game with the walk as default speed, use the space bar to toggle between the walk and tactical, and hold the space bar to run. After the run I'd end up in tactical, as expected. Same goes for sprint (turbo), it behaves like the run (hold to perform, go back to tactical when released). This would be the absolutely most intuitive and realistic movement scheme for me.

In ArmA3, the above is actually possible, but it requires you to do some movement key combos to enable it, and it doesn't work well anyway. So when I start as a runner, I need to use the first key to toggle to walk, a second to set tactical instead run and use the first key to toggle walk and tactical from then on. I can set run as hold action on the first key, but I can run only when the movement is toggled to walk, because if I toggled to tactical, holding the first key does the opposite and slows me down to walk.

I'm not sure if it is correct, so maybe it wont work for you to reproduce, and that's the point, it is friggin rocket science to set my controls up the way I need them, because an unintuitive system, that makes no sense to me is forced upon me. A real nighmare.

Would be nice if the movement thing was done more flexible in ArmA3.

1) Allow us to set out default speed

2) Allow us to bind keys to walk, tactical and run all separately. If you bind the same key to, let's say, walk and tactical, defined as toggle (not hold), then it will work as a toggle between both movements. Set the same key as a hold key function for the run and you will be able to run was long as this key is held and keep toggling between walk and run when pushed. You could also set run as default movement, toggle to walk with a key and hold down the same key to use the tactical temporary.

3) Allow us to define what movement follows a hold key. This is a complicated subject, as it changes with the way you set up your controls. Since I want my run to be a hold key, I want to use the next fast movement when key is released, which would be the tactical. If someone uses a scheme where he toggles between the walk and run with a key and holds down the same, or another key to use the tactical mode, than he might prefer to keep using the movement mode he was using before he started the tactical (be it walk or run). So, basically give us a way to define these things for ourselves.

Simple thing, but since we talk about Sgt.Clumsy... I mean ArmA on there, it all gets complicated. :D

I've got 2xW bind to Fast Forward. I was under the impression this is the same as Turbo (Sprint). Then Shift is Walk/Run temporary and 2xShift is Walk/Run Toggle. Now if you say that Walk/Run toggle is actually a modifier between slow forward and walk, then what the hell is running? I thought walking was just the standing up straight slow moving/walk with your gun lowered or raised was the same thing. And that running was more or less your default speed (With which you lower your gun). Then the combat pace keeps that default run speed, but gives you the ability to put your gun up.

I'm so confused right now.

Alright, I know it might seem confusing, so I'll try to make things as abundantly clear as possible.

First we'll define 4 things, the movement speeds, and we'll name them. Ignore any kind of pace with the weapon down, that will just muddle things; just imagine there is no lower weapon function in the game.

1. Slow Walk (This is the slowest pace possible in the game, it is bound to Slow Forward and Walk or Run Toggle.)

2. Fast Walk (This is the combat pace in the game, it is the fastest possible movement with your gun up where you can still see crosshairs)

3. Run (This is the Pace right after Fast Walk and right before Sprint)

4. Sprint (This is the fastest pace, it is bound to Fast Forward and Turbo)

Now that we've defined these, what is the problem here? Let's talk about the controls and what they do.

1. Fast Forward

(Moves you forward at Sprint pace)

2. Slow Forward

(Moves you forward at Slow Walk pace)

3. Turbo

(Puts you into Sprint pace as long as you hold it. Notice that the difference between Turbo and Fast Forward is, it allows you to move backwards at Run pace as you hold it.)

4. Turbo Toggle

(Puts you into Sprint pace after first press. Allows for movement in all directions. Notice it causes you to Sprint Forward and Diagonally left and right, and causes you to Run strafe left and right, diagonally backwards left and right, and backwards. Takes you out of Sprint at second press.)

5. Combat Pace

(Switches you between Fast Walk and Run as you hold it. If you are in Run pace and you hold it, you will move at Fast Walk, and vice versa. Notice that I say it SWITCHES you, it DOES NOT PUT you in the pace, UNLESS you are already in either Fast Walk or Run. I will explain the problem below.)

6. Combat Pace Toggle

(Same function as Combat Pace, except you press the key once. Does not put you into either Fast Walk or Run, instead it switches between them. If you are already in Fast Walk or Run, it will appear as if it is putting you into either Fast Walk or Run, but it is merely switching between them. I will explain the problem below)

7. Walk or Run Temporary

(Puts you into Slow Walk pace as long as you hold it. Notice that the difference between Walk or Run Temporary and Slow Forward is, it allows you to move backwards at Slow Walk pace as you hold it.)

8. Walk or Run Toggle

(Puts you into Slow Walk pace after first press. Allows for movement in all directions. Takes you out of Slow Walk at second press.)

Now that you have a better understanding of the Controls and what they do, you can set up your controls for yourself as you see fit. It also allows me to better explain the issue I have with the current situation.

The Problem

Walk or Run Temporary, Walk or Run Toggle, Turbo, and Turbo Toggle all have the similar effects. They essentially "turn on" or put you into their respective paces. No matter what pace you are in, pressing the Walk or Run Toggle or Turbo Toggle will put you into Slow Walk or Sprint. The only way to get out of Walk or Run Toggle is to press it again, or press Turbo Toggle to switch to sprint and vice versa. If you DO press Walk or Run Toggle or Turbo Toggle again, it will put you in either Fast Walk or Run. This is dependent on whether you were in Fast Walk or Run last, or if you use the Combat Pace key instead of the toggle, it will put you in whichever pace you are in without holding the Combat Pace key.

Notice that Pressing or Holding Combat Pace Toggle or Combat Pace, respectively, WILL not put you into those paces, it will merely switch between them so, if you were in Fast Walk before you went into Sprint or Slow Walk, pressing Combat Pace Toggle will not change your pace, but will cause you to Run when you come out of Sprint or Slow Walk.

Why is this a Problem?

Let's say you are Slow Walking and you take contact. Your immediate reaction would be either to Sprint or Run. Now sprint works fine, but my immediate reaction is go to Run because it allows for much control over your character. Thus, I press Combat Pace Toggle to go into run. But wait, that does nothing, it only changes my previous Fast Walk pace into Run pace in the background, BUT not only am I still in Slow Walk, now I'm dead.

What is the Remedy?

Simple Remedy, change the Combat Pace and Combat Pace Toggle to switch between Slow Walk and Fast Walk instead of Fast Walk and Run, and make the Walk or Run Temporary and Walk or Run Toggle turn on Run instead of Slow Walk.

Edited by jetset22a

Problem is even with a keyboard, you run out of keys. The best thing you can do, is to load up the editor and invest a little time reassigning your keys. When you've found a decent solution and compromised a bit(you have to because you run out of keys), spend a little time getting used to your keys, getting a little muscle memory.

Problem is even with a keyboard, you run out of keys. The best thing you can do, is to load up the editor and invest a little time reassigning your keys. When you've found a decent solution and compromised a bit(you have to because you run out of keys), spend a little time getting used to your keys, getting a little muscle memory.

Actually, if you take a look at the issue I'm addressing, it has nothing to do with my key binds, but the functions the control options are utilizing from a programmer's perspective. If necessary, I could even write a simplified bit of code to help explain this.

You are correct however, changing your controls IS the best thing you can do, but no matter how many times you change your controls, as I addressed above, YOU CANNOT fix the issue I'm addressing without rearranging code.

I don't think the mouse wheel is a perfect solution for neither stances or movement speeds, there are times when you want to switch from walking to sprinting without having to change though four gears on the mouse wheel.

I don't think the mouse wheel is a perfect solution for neither stances or movement speeds, there are times when you want to switch from walking to sprinting without having to change though four gears on the mouse wheel.

I am in complete agreement, I merely mentioned the use of the scroll wheel as a way of changing paces, because it has been mentioned before and that the point I was trying to make was that my thread was NOT about using the scroll wheel. I know it's rude to make assumptions, but please read the rest of my post before making a comment that is irrelevant and off topic.

I find the posts are more confusing than helping. It's confusing when you guys begin renaming the four movement types into slow and fast walking, slow and fastrunning. You want Combat Pace to be a walk modifier, instead of a run modifier correct?

I don't really care whether Combat Pace is "fast walking" or "Slow running". But in a situation you describe, where switching to running, only to discover you're in Combat Pace, will get you killed, me, I'd consider that an emergency and use my emergency key: Turbo, speed over accuracy.

Here's all the options for moving forward:

Move Forward.

Fast Forward.

Slow Forward.

Turbo.

Turbo Toggle.

Combat Pace

Combat Pace Toggle.

Walk Run Temporary

Walk Run Toggle.

ArmA controls offers a lot of options, this means you can trailor your controls to your liking, but you don't have to use all options. If you have all options assigned, I can understand, why you'd get confused in unexpected situations, where you need to react fast. By keeping your controls simple, avoiding overlapping or redundant key assignments, you can minimize a lot of reaction time.

I keep my options to a minimum.

Move Forward.

Turbo.

Combat Pace Toggle.

Walk Run Toggle.

Edited by Dallas

I find the posts are more confusing than helping. It's confusing when you guys begin renaming the four movement types into slow and fast walking, slow and fastrunning. You want Combat Pace to be a walk modifier, instead of a run modifier correct?

I don't really care whether Combat Pace is "fast walking" or "Slow running". But in a situation you describe, where switching to running, only to discover you're in Combat Pace, will get you killed, me, I'd consider that an emergency and use my emergency key: Turbo, speed over accuracy.

Here's all the options for moving forward:

Move Forward.

Fast Forward.

Slow Forward.

Turbo.

Turbo Toggle.

Combat Pace

Combat Pace Toggle.

Walk Run Temporary

Walk Run Toggle.

ArmA controls offers a lot of options, this means you can trailor your controls to your liking, but you don't have to use all options. If you have all options assigned, I can understand, why you'd get confused in unexpected situations, where you need to react fast. By keeping your controls simple, avoiding overlapping or redundant key assignments, you can minimize a lot of reaction time.

I keep my options to a minimum.

Move Forward.

Turbo.

Combat Pace Toggle.

Walk Run Toggle.

The fact of the matter is, there was more than likely an error in the code, where the function calls used for Fast Walk and Run were transposed. Even the names of the controls goes to prove that; Combat Pace Toggle doesn't toggle between Slow Walk and Fast Walk like it should, and Walk or Run Toggle doesn't even toggle Run at all, it just turns on and off Slow Walk. As far as being confused by the terms I used, I specifically defined the terms and consistently used those terms according to the given definitions to avoid confusion because of the fact people already have differing views for the term "Combat Pace".

The purpose of this thread was to point out the very potential error in the code, and hopefully get corroborations to make this visible so that the Devs might confirm whether or not it was an error, and to possibly fix it for the beta. Not to suggest a completely different method of changing movement speeds. Like I said, it's an error that needs to be resolved in the code, as it cannot be fixed by simple changes in key binds.

Am I missing something totally obviously here, my control options haven't got any slow and fast walking options?

My walk/run toggles correctly between walking speed and running speed

and my Combat pace also toggles between Running and Combat pace.

Am I missing something totally obviously here?

There is nothing obvious about Arma's keybinding menus, my friend.

That's what I thought as well. I think I'm having the same problem. I also learned that apparently there is a fourth speed now and that Walk/Run doesn't actually toggle between walking and running, it toggles between slow forward and running instead and walking is something else? I seriously have no idea anymore.

Maybe that's also a note for the dev. The control scheme makes so little sense, because the binds are named really really weird. Isn't walking / running / sprinting way more simple? Right now we have Turbo and Fast Forward (Which do the same, do they not?) Turbo is just a modifier changing the W key to a sprint key instead.. whereas Fast Forward a direct key to sprint immediately? Am I missing something here?

Am I missing something totally obviously here, my control options haven't got any slow and fast walking options?

My walk/run toggles correctly between walking speed and running speed

and my Combat pace also toggles between Running and Combat pace.

Okay, let's use your terms. Combat pace toggles between "Running" and "Combat pace". Walk/Run toggles "Walking Speed", but it does not have anything to do with "Running Speed". If you are in "Combat Pace" and you press Walk/Run Toggle, you will come out in "Combat Pace" if you press Walk/Run Toggle again. If you were in "Run" before you go into Walk/Run Toggle will you go into "Run" after you press Walk/Run Toggle again.

If you are in Walk/Run Toggle, pressing Combat pace toggles between "Running" and "Combat Pace" in the background. So if you go into Walk/Run Toggle at "Combat Speed" into "Walking Speed" and press Combat Pace Toggle, you will still be "Walking Speed" but come out of it at "Running Speed".

This is counter intuitive, and also clearly wrong because of the nomenclature of the Key binds.

PS. There is no Slow or Fast Walk in the control options, I just used those terms and clearly defined them so that I could consistently use those terms to get everyone on the same page. I even underlined the words I've already defined and bolded the words I've already defined.

That's what I thought as well. I think I'm having the same problem. I also learned that apparently there is a fourth speed now and that Walk/Run doesn't actually toggle between walking and running, it toggles between slow forward and running instead and walking is something else? I seriously have no idea anymore.

Maybe that's also a note for the dev. The control scheme makes so little sense, because the binds are named really really weird. Isn't walking / running / sprinting way more simple? Right now we have Turbo and Fast Forward (Which do the same, do they not?) Turbo is just a modifier changing the W key to a sprint key instead.. whereas Fast Forward a direct key to sprint immediately? Am I missing something here?

They do very similar things, but they do not do the same thing. Read my post, I explain all the keybinds and what they do AND what the problem is and how the devs can fix it...

Edited by jetset22a

Example of what the code might look like right now oversimplified...

CombatPaceToggle ()

{

if (pressCombatPaceToggleKey = 1)

{

combatpace = 0;

run = 1;

}

else

{

combatpace = 1;

run = 0;

}

}

WalkorRunToggle ()

{

if (walkorrunkey=1)

walk = 1;

else

{

walk = 0;

}

}

what it should look like oversimplified

CombatPaceToggle ()

{

if (pressCombatPaceToggleKey = 1)

{

combatpace = 0;

walk = 1;

}

else

{

combatpace = 1;

walk = 0;

}

}

WalkorRunToggle ()

{

if (walkorrunkey=1)

run = 1;

else

{

run = 0;

}

}

obviously the actual code is a lot more complex than this, and probably use a lot of different functions, but this is the overall gist of the problem from a programmer's perspective that anyone should be able to understand.

hi,
i have been searching the internet for months now for a solution and have not found one.
I would like to increase the reverse speed of vehicles because it annoys me that certain tanks, for example, drive only 15 km/h in reverse.
therefore my question.
does anyone know how I can adjust this 😉