Sign in to follow this  

[Coop] Escape from Stratis

I bought Arma3 Alpha a few days ago and so far loving it. It's great to see a similar player mindset to what I had previously seen in Arma2 which is always good.

Anyway, to my main question - I have been looking around different servers to try and figure out what style I most prefer (in terms of missions/number of players and so on) and eventually stumbled on a Coop mission 'Escape from Stratis' which I really enjoyed. Question is, is there anywhere to find out what each mission type is and does without having to try them all out?

I had a look on the menu guide but all those were 3 - 4 word summaries of what the missions were about.

Thanks.

Google is your friend,my friend.

There are loads of different game modes from coop,team deathmatch to capture the island and loads in between.If you search out Arma game modes on Google or through Youtube I am sure you will find what you are looking for pal.Also on the multiplayer server list it usually has the type of mission playing,eg:coop/CTI and so on.

Mick. :)

The beauty of Arma is that you can code virtually anything imaginable provided you have the coding skills. Therefore there are different game modes but its not like other games where the devs have developed the game modes and rules and you have to bide within those constraints - there is co-op, deathmatch, team v team, team v team v team, you can have a game mode like Wasteland where you can form independent sub-teams etc, DayZ/zombie game modes and the list goes on.

Obviously to design a major mod like DayZ or Wasteland takes a lot of skilled coding time though.

Anyway, to my main question - I have been looking around different servers to try and figure out what style I most prefer (in terms of missions/number of players and so on) and eventually stumbled on a Coop mission 'Escape from Stratis' which I really enjoyed. Question is, is there anywhere to find out what each mission type is and does without having to try them all out?
Unfortunately the server browser seems to only display whether or not a mission is co-op (and the server difficulty) but no further description of how the match (in the case of TvT) works.

Thanks for the replies!

I had a look on google (even looking at some arma2) but couldn't find much, in terms of detailed explanation of what each type of mission is like.

What I'm looking for is a brief explanation of what each of these mean and some basic rules:

- Death Match

- Capture the flag

- Flag fight

- Coop Mission

- Team Mission

- Sector Control

- Hold location

- Capture the island

Many thanks again for the help so far.

Death Match tends to (in Arma anyway) imply "everyone for themselves", which COD calls Free-for-All, so the basic rule -- if player respawn is enabled anyway -- would theoretically be "first player to the required number of kills or with the most kills when time expires" wins; replace 'player' with 'team' and you've got Team Deathmatch (TDM).

Looks like CTF and Flag Fight are basically the same thing, or at least that Flag Fight is a variant on CTF? The basic rule for capture-the-flag is for a team to get into the enemy base, move over the enemy flag (thereby taking it) and safely bringing it to the drop-off point within the team's own base (scoring) while preventing the opposing team from successfully doing the same; the team with the higher score within a given time limit wins.

Note that a player who's picked up the enemy flag but whose character is killed will "drop" the flag, and the first team to have a player to move over the dropped flag will take possession; usually in regular FPS games if the first team to retrieve the flag is the team whose flag was seized and dropped, the flag is instantly teleported back to that player's base. Also, usually a team can only score (that is, the flag-carrying player's presence at their drop-off point only counts) if the team's flag is also safely at base, otherwise both teams will simply have possession of the opposing team's flag.

A Bohemia Interactive Wiki entry on Capture The Island (aka Conquer The Island)

Thanks for that Chortles - very helpful.

I think that capture the island would also be very appealing for me. Are all of these modes possible in PvP as well as against the Human v AI?

Re: DM/TDM: MW3 introduced-for-COD the "Kill Confirmed" variant of TDM, where scoring is achieved or prevented by collecting dog tags (by moving over them in the same way that one captures flags in CTF) that spawn at killed characters' corpses: Move over killed enemy team members' dog tags (they appear yellow) to score and move over your own killed team member's dog tags (they appear red) to prevent the other team from being able to "confirm" those kills; first team to the score threshold or with the most confirms by the match time limit wins. (The dog tags also disappear if the player who dropped them quits the match or is downed a second time, and in MW3 if the dog tags are not collected quickly enough; this collect time limit was dropped in Black Ops 2.)

Theoretically any of the above would/should be possible as "full" (players vs. AI) or "mixed" co-op (players and AI vs. players and AI) but I can't speak as to how well the AI is at "fighting for the objective"; there's a somewhat amusing anecdote that in Black Ops the Combat Training mode only had deathmatch (FFA) and team deathmatch (TDM) because the Treyarch devs just couldn't get the AI to "play for the objective", though they supposedly figured this out by Black Ops II... two years later. :rolleyes:

By the way, there's already two CTI missions for Arma 3 on Armaholic.

Sector Control (SC) is similar to what BF3 calls Conquest, COD calls Domination and Medal of Honor amusingly enough also calls Sector Control. :p Clear out enemies from a particular zone, in those games centered around a flag, and remain within the zone long enough to "take" or retain the zone, which will cause the opposing team's "tickets" to reduce (like in BF3, where respawns also cost a ticket) or your team's score to rise (like in COD); the first team to reach the score threshold, to drain out the other team's tickets entirely or to have more score/tickets by the time limit wins. In matches with more than one zone (which all three of the aforementioned series have) you have to hold more zones than the enemy to cause this, with the rate of drain or scoring being affected by the proportion of zones held.

MAG had an interesting three-team, time-limited variation on Sector Control called Escalation where there were three capture areas (unlike zones, these are taken by achieved by interacting with an in-game 'console' object in the area without being interrupted and preventing either opposing team from doing the same within a certain period of time) arranged in a triangular shape, each vertex being within range of two teams' spawn zones. When a team however briefly holds two of the outer areas simultaneously, all three areas are 'locked down' (cannot interact with their consoles) and after several seconds a fourth capture area at the center of the map will be "revealed" with its own console, and that team will gradually gain score at a fixed rate until either of the other two teams manages to "capture" that console/area, upon which the areas revert to their initial state; the fourth capture area's console is locked down while the outer three capture areas are reset to neutral (not in possession of any team) and the cycle begins again. (Amusingly enough, this means that if you're one on one of the teams opposing the team that's currently scoring and the other opposing team begins a capture of the fourth capture area, help them and don't interrupt their capture, doing so leaves the area in the scoring team's possession!) As with the aforementioned match types besides CTI, the team that reaches the score threshold or has the highest score by the time limit.