Sign in to follow this  
Thehat3z

What REALLY helped me to improve performance

Well , I don't have a high end device , my computer is pretty old.

i have 4 gigs of ram

an intel core 2 quad q6600 2.4ghz

and a gts 450 overclocked by gigabyte.

I started playing the game and got really bumped by how the game is running for me (horrible)

so i did a little search around the webz and found this "-cpucount=4"

This increased my performance so much , i actually enjoy playing the game now.

If you have some low fps , give this a shot , it helped me. A lot.

tried that before. seems like a placebo more than anything since the fps didn't change. what did improve the performance for me was switching to the development build and downloading the 7.4mb update.

tried that before. seems like a placebo more than anything since the fps didn't change. what did improve the performance for me was switching to the development build and downloading the 7.4mb update.

How did you do that?

i have 4 gigs of ram

I started playing the game and got really bumped by how the game is running for me (horrible)

what's this cpu count thing? Is that something in the game's folder that I have to manually change?

what's this cpu count thing? Is that something in the game's folder that I have to manually change?

Click properties on your game in your steam library , click on set launch options and add that "-cpucount=x" in. i wrote x since if it depends on how many cores you have with your cpu. since i have a quad core i have 4 cores...

All these "What fixes the FPS lag" threads, and not one of them does a single thing for me :(

All these "What fixes the FPS lag" threads, and not one of them does a single thing for me :(

I found this, give it a shot: 1. Go to Steam Library

2. Go to "Arma 3" Right Click then select "Properties"

3. Select "Set Launch Options"

4. Copy and paste the correct launch command line below to what your system is setup for and click "OK".

For AMD CPU users:

AMD Dual Core with 4GB System Ram:

"-noSplash -cpuCount=2 -high"

AMD Quad Core with 4GB Ram:

"-noSplash -cpuCount=4 -high"

AMD Six Core with 4GB Ram:

"-noSplash -cpuCount=6 -high"

AMD Eight Core with 4GB Ram:

"-noSplash -cpuCount=8 -high"

If your running more than 8GB Ram then apply this to the end of the launch line:

"-maxMem=8192"

This will allow your game to utilize 8GB system Ram instead of 4GB.

Intel CPU:

For Hyperthreaded CPU's such as a Quad Core you will apply this:

-cpuCount=8

This will enable your Hyperthreads on your CPU so your CPU will act as an eight core when running Arma 3.

If you are running a Hyperthreaded Six Core then:

-cpuCount=12

If you are running a Hyperthreaded Eight Core or Eight Core Xeon then apply this:

-cpuCount=16

If you are running just a non Hyperthreaded CPU such as a Quad Core then select "4" instead of "8" same for a Dual Core you will select "2" instead of "4".

All AMD CPU's are NOT Hyperthreaded so Hyperthreaded options is highly not recommended as this can cause system failure or damage.

I will not be responible for system failure and damage if you choose to select more cores then you have on your command line!

-high:

makes your operating system prioritize services and processes to run your game better but this can cause system failure and instability if you dont have a good running system. If you Overclock this can cause system instability.

-noSplash:

disables startup videos and advertisements.

-cpuCount=#:

enables extra CPU cores and Hyperthreads.

-maxMem=#:

when set to "6144" (6GB) and up lets your game use more system Ram then 4GB.

Do not set to higher than 4GB if you dont have at least 8GB. You can set to "8192" (8GB) if you have 12GB+ Ram.

I found this, give it a shot: 1. Go to Steam Library

2. Go to "Arma 3" Right Click then select "Properties"

3. Select "Set Launch Options"

4. Copy and paste the correct launch command line below to what your system is setup for and click "OK".

For AMD CPU users:

AMD Dual Core with 4GB System Ram:

"-noSplash -cpuCount=2 -high"

AMD Quad Core with 4GB Ram:

"-noSplash -cpuCount=4 -high"

AMD Six Core with 4GB Ram:

"-noSplash -cpuCount=6 -high"

AMD Eight Core with 4GB Ram:

"-noSplash -cpuCount=8 -high"

If your running more than 8GB Ram then apply this to the end of the launch line:

"-maxMem=8192"

This will allow your game to utilize 8GB system Ram instead of 4GB.

Intel CPU:

For Hyperthreaded CPU's such as a Quad Core you will apply this:

-cpuCount=8

This will enable your Hyperthreads on your CPU so your CPU will act as an eight core when running Arma 3.

If you are running a Hyperthreaded Six Core then:

-cpuCount=12

If you are running a Hyperthreaded Eight Core or Eight Core Xeon then apply this:

-cpuCount=16

If you are running just a non Hyperthreaded CPU such as a Quad Core then select "4" instead of "8" same for a Dual Core you will select "2" instead of "4".

All AMD CPU's are NOT Hyperthreaded so Hyperthreaded options is highly not recommended as this can cause system failure or damage.

I will not be responible for system failure and damage if you choose to select more cores then you have on your command line!

-high:

makes your operating system prioritize services and processes to run your game better but this can cause system failure and instability if you dont have a good running system. If you Overclock this can cause system instability.

-noSplash:

disables startup videos and advertisements.

-cpuCount=#:

enables extra CPU cores and Hyperthreads.

-maxMem=#:

Do not set to higher than 4GB if you dont have at least 8GB. You can set to "8192" (8GB) if you have 12GB+ Ram.

I have 6GB of ram, what do I do then?

-maxMem=#:

Maybe I'm having a blonde moment, but I thought that as Arma3 is a 32bit app it would be limited to using no more than 2GB of system Ram - maybe up to 3GB of system ram if LAA is supported in Arma3?

Source: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?76121-Arma-2-vs-64bit-amp-LAA

Maybe I'm having a blonde moment, but I thought that as Arma3 is a 32bit app it would be limited to using no more than 2GB of system Ram - maybe up to 3GB of system ram if LAA is supported in Arma3?

Source: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?76121-Arma-2-vs-64bit-amp-LAA

3GB on a 32-bit system and 4GB on a 64-bit system (if LAA is enabled - which I thought it was back in the A2 days after a patch)

3GB on a 32-bit system and 4GB on a 64-bit system (if LAA is enabled - which I thought it was back in the A2 days after a patch)

Aha!, thanks for clearing that up.

i have 4 gigs of ram

Arma has always seemed to work better for older computers than it has for newer computers.

You are right about that, but the maxmem parameter ignores values above 2047. Like most of these threads it is mostly bad benchmarking and placebo effects, and the actual effect is zero since the game already sets itself to the correct values anyway.

^^^ This. Most of these launch parameters were made redundant after AO1.60 if I remember correctly. Whole lot of straw clutching truth be told...

I have 6GB of ram, what do I do then?

so you add

"-maxMem=6144" (without quotes)

so you add

"-maxMem=6144" (without quotes)

maxmem parameter ignores values above 2047. (as someone mentioned 2 posts above)

Please read this before advising others:

Start Parameters

Arma has always seemed to work better for older computers than it has for newer computers.

Why is it so? :(

Why is it so? :(

Some engines work better on older systems, they become unstable on the newer operating systems and/or equipement. Not sure about Amra 2 or 3 because i haven't touched a computer with XP on it for many years now.

sorry to burst your bubble but all the "performance" parameters were really only used back when arma 2 was launched. using them now is basically a placebo effect