Sign in to follow this  
jamesf1

[HMM] Stance Indicator

Well, I saw a lot of people were looking for a stance indicator for first-person view, so I thought I'd throw something together. It should work fine, I've had a number of guys from my squad test it, but the usual disclaimers apply - your mileage may vary :) It's possible it'll screw up in some situations, given it relies almost entirely upon animation names (and I suppose it's possible that BIS may not be 100% consistent in their naming). It should be all signed and good to go - the .bikey is included. I've also not tested anything other than 1920x1080 on the normal UI size... but I've utilised safeZones properly, so it should be fine (if it's not, I'll fix it :p).

Features:

• Shows your stance in first-person mode.
  • Highlights stances that hinder your movement in yellow (in this case, low prone and high prone).
  • Displays stance-based lean status, too!
  • It's a stance indicator... what more do you want?

Video: (v1.0 demonstrated)

6HYnBL8OQhI

Download:

[HMM] Stance Indicator v1.1 (5kb - .zip)

(and here it is as a direct link, if CoralCDN is being slow)

Requires @CBA_A3. See this thread for info on that :)

Changelog:

v1.1

• Now highlights main stance separately.
  • Stance-based lean states are supported/indicated.

v1.0

• Initial release.

Installation:

1. Extract the @HMM_StanceIndicator folder from this archive into your Arma 3 folder.
  2. Load Arma 3, go to Options > Expansions.
  3. Click on @HMM_StanceIndicator in the list and click Enable (make sure to also do @CBA_A3, too).

• To the HMM Squad folks for testing :)
  • ShackTac Fireteam HUD for inspiration for the show/hide UI logic.

License:

Usage of the HMM Stance Indicator is predicated upon your agreement to the following:

• All files included are the property of the original author.
  • HMM Stance Indicator may not be modified, included in other mods (in whole or in part), or used for any commercial/military purposes without prior permission from the author.
  • Redistribution is permitted only if the original archive is unmodified and it is distributed free of charge.
  • This mod may not be ported to any other game, including any variation of the Arma series, without prior permission from the author.

Edited by JamesF1
Update to Version 1.1

This will be great, thank you very much for this!

As another visual cue, maybe you could alter the symbols to e.g: vertical line | for standing stance. 45 degree for /crouch stance. And horizontal line _ for prone stance.

Just to differentiate them even more when you take a quick glance in combat. Instead of all of them being horizontal lines.

Nice one, thanks for sharing!

/KC

I think the base function of this mod is great. However it would be nice to have an indication of being stepped out to either side if possible.

Thank you for the mod JamesF1.

As another visual cue, maybe you could alter the symbols to e.g: vertical line | for standing stance. 45 degree for /crouch stance. And horizontal line _ for prone stance.

Just to differentiate them even more when you take a quick glance in combat. Instead of all of them being horizontal lines.

Yeah, I've been trying to work out a sensible way to differentiate between the three 'major' stances - the problem with shapes at the corner of your view is that they have to be fairly significantly sized (simply reorientating the blocks doesn't aid that, from my testing). I'll try a few options and see if I can come up with something sensible - maybe highlighting the respective character on the left hand side, that is associated with the current stance :)

I wasn't sure whether to install this or not... but i'm glad i did... Excellent little addon that makes it very easy to see what stance i'm in. Well done James.

I use this and FA stance. I'm alright with the horizontal rectangles. I just look at the rectangles to see how if I'm going low or high stance in position (higher crouch or lower crouch, etc) and then I look at the body on the FA stance to see whether I'm standing, prone, or crouch. It does have arrows to tell me if I'm up or down but I find this respond quicker so I install both. They don't overlap each other either and it's side to side so pretty convenient to me.

I've posted a new version (v1.1) - see the first post for an updated download link :)

Changes:

• Now highlights main stance separately.
  • Stance-based lean states are supported/indicated.

Nice addon, very useful, good job :rthumb: I would like to make one suggestions. That can change the size of the indicator by the user.

Edited by Legolasindar

Awesome!

But is it possible to adjust size? I'd prefer it to be a little bit smaller :)

I would like to make one suggestions. That can change the size of the indicator by the user.
But is it possible to adjust size? I'd prefer it to be a little bit smaller :)

I'll take a look into either making a smaller version as well, or a config to allow people to choose a size :)

What am I doing wrong? I have a folder @HMM_StanceIndicator in my arma 3 install folder and inside that folder are the Addons/Keys folders.

I have added the following into my launch options

-skipIntro -noSplash -mod=@HMM_StanceIndicator

When I go to expansions inside the game I can see it shows as enabled but it never shows up when playing.

What am I doing wrong? I have a folder @HMM_StanceIndicator in my arma 3 install folder and inside that folder are the Addons/Keys folders.

I have added the following into my launch options

-skipIntro -noSplash -mod=@HMM_StanceIndicator

When I go to expansions inside the game I can see it shows as enabled but it never shows up when playing.

You need the Community Base Addon to run this!

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=18767

And it needs to be loaded befor the stance indicator:

-mod=@CBA_A3;@HMM_StanceIndicator

Cheers Cruzifer

Really nice mod JamesF1 ! I really does what it should be. Way simplier and less intrusive than FAstance IMO.

Though, it'd be nice with two more things :

- Smaller size ( to be even less intrusive ) ( or maybe more transparent could do the trick )

- Some hide cooldown to completely hide the indicator when you don't switch stances.

With this.. this would be perfect IMO :)

I have been using this with FA_Stance. I like the combo.. but that's just me.

thanks for your work

Awesome, just a question and a possible idea: what do you mean with "lean indicator support"? I lean left and right, but no difference in the stance indicator can be seen...

Also, could it be an idea to make the indicator disappear if the stance isn't changed for a definite amount of time, AND the player is in one of the "base" stances?

Yay!

EDIT: I just found a bug: the indicator disappears when you load a savegame... You have to restart the mission to make it come back again...

To be more precise, the indicator doesn't load with savegames, but only with new missions...

Edited by Gliptal

Nice addon! Why not show it for 3rd-person view as well?

Also supporting the suggestion of making it smaller..

Awesome, just a question and a possible idea: what do you mean with "lean indicator support"? I lean left and right, but no difference in the stance indicator can be seen...

This refers to the stance-based leaning. Using Ctrl+A or Ctrl+D when in Crouch or Standing puts you into a "step lean", which is indicated :) The traditional Arma leaning (using Q/E by default) isn't indicated in the UI, because even from first person, it's fairly easy to identify your position, due to the view rotation that comes with it (the step-leans keep your view level).

Also, could it be an idea to make the indicator disappear if the stance isn't changed for a definite amount of time, AND the player is in one of the "base" stances?

Saw this mentioned earlier in the thread, it's the next thing I'll add as soon as I get some time :) I'll look for a way to make this configurable along with the UI size - never really delved into supporting configuration options in mods.

EDIT: I just found a bug: the indicator disappears when you load a savegame... You have to restart the mission to make it come back again...

Nice catch, will fix :)

Nice addon! Why not show it for 3rd-person view as well?

The primary reason was that you can easily see your stance in third-person view, but it's almost impossible to know what stance you're in from a first-person perspective (unless you're actively tracking, or looking down at your soldier model, which is completely impractical whilst fighting).

Edited by JamesF1