Sign in to follow this  
Drumheller

ArmA 3 Editor Tutorials - Building Simple Missions

Greetings fellow ArmAholics. I have created a series of tutorials going over everything you should need to know to build a simple-moderate level missions from the ground up in ArmA 3. The ArmA editor is very simple to understand and use once you get to know it, but starting out it can be a little daunting.

Building a Simple Mission Part 1 - Editor Familiarization and Friendly Spawn Setup

Building a Simple Mission Part 2 - Garrisoning an Enemy Base

- Whoops, I screwed something up in this video, check
to see what it was and how to fix it.

New Video(after all this time) - Zeus Overview, Guide, and Quick Tutorial

I hope this helps you who are new to editing, and maybe even show some of you that are more experienced a trick or two!

Edited by MacScottie

why SP Editor? Usually a good idea to do editing in MP editor unless you specifically want a SP mission..

Also you can change layout to be more like A2 editor which is a little more n00b friednly (ie units, groups etc have names instead of just icons)

good job otherwise though..

It was only yesterday I was looking unsuccessfully for a tutorial video for the Arma 3 editor.

Thanks a lot for this, very informative and easy to follow vid, looking forward to the next one.

Subbed.

Thank so much for this! I had given up on making empty vehicles, but now I can do all the things!

Agreed,thanks for doing these.

I would like to try and get used to making short missions for myself so this is right up my street.

One thing I would like to learn is scripting.Not loads or big ones,just some small ones like the patrol script and how to put these into the editor and the best way to get them to work,so I hope you will cover that kinda stuff in some of your vids.

Eagerly waiting on others,

Cheers,

Mick.

why SP Editor? Usually a good idea to do editing in MP editor unless you specifically want a SP mission..

Also you can change layout to be more like A2 editor which is a little more n00b friednly (ie units, groups etc have names instead of just icons)

good job otherwise though..

Why not? I've only ever made multiplayer missions and have always used the sp editor as in the mp editor you can't preview easily and there was some other problem too. What is it about the mp editor that is better for making mp missions because at least in arma 2 as far as I could tell it was exactly the same without the ability to do a simple preview, it would just load up a local host instead I think which is just not needed imo.

in the mp editor you can't preview easily

And that's why I use the SP editor.

Thank you very much for the Tutorials!

They were extremely helpful and are much appreciated. I had spent several hours trying to create a mission but I was missing several things. Your tutorials clarified the process and I was able to make my own mission that works great!

Looking forward to any others you create.

Regards, Riff

MacScottie, any chance of you doing a tutorial for MP missions? I can create SP missions quite easily but doing MP missions, I get the dreaded desync problem and I dont know why.

Thank you in advance.

Dale

Hey great videos!

I am very interested in the editor and how it works, seeing arma 3 is very new there are not many videos available.

Your way of explaining things is very calm and clear, i am very much looking forward to more of your videos.

Because of this video series we may see a lot of cool new scenarios coming out :D

For all the new guys here around. Get the ArmA Editing guide from my signature below...it was originally written for the very first ArmA but most of the content is still working, at least those which are needed to built a working mission. The guide was written by Mr-Murray, I only made the translations from german to english

Well I saw this thread after I'd found the vids on YouTube and i must say these are probably the best mission editor tutorials I've seen for Arma 2/3. However, I would really like you to go into more detail around triggers and syncing because although your friends all know when to call off a mission I'd like to make an exclusively single player mission that ends when certain conditions are met.

If you could make some more videos in this regard it would be greatly appreciated!!!

Very good tutorials for those who are beginning with this! Think you are helping alot of people out there to start with the editor. I did learn somethings myself that i didn't know about, like the posititions in house you could set with waypoints.

Hope you are doing more and advanced videos soon! ;)

Well I saw this thread after I'd found the vids on YouTube and i must say these are probably the best mission editor tutorials I've seen for Arma 2/3. However, I would really like you to go into more detail around triggers and syncing because although your friends all know when to call off a mission I'd like to make an exclusively single player mission that ends when certain conditions are met.

If you could make some more videos in this regard it would be greatly appreciated!!!

yep, plus sometimes it's hard to tell if you've done something, like kill all the bad guys in an area, because the AI is good at hiding, flanking, etc

this guy also has a good series, and gets into triggers in this vid:

Thank you so much for making these videos. I'm a complete newb at Arma, and when I saw the editor the other day, I was like..... "NOPE".

Going to jump back into it now and fiddle around with some very small missions to start :) Thanks again

Subbed to your channel as well

MacScottie, any chance of you doing a tutorial for MP missions? I can create SP missions quite easily but doing MP missions, I get the dreaded desync problem and I dont know why.

Thank you in advance.

Dale

The tutorial I did was a mission that would work in either SP or MP. As to your desync, I don't think that has anything to do with the mission. :/

I'll be doing several more. I'll probably do at LEAST Modules and Triggers/Syncing this week. There are some REALLY cool new modules.

Thank you so much for making these videos. I'm a complete newb at Arma, and when I saw the editor the other day, I was like..... "NOPE".

Going to jump back into it now and fiddle around with some very small missions to start :) Thanks again

Subbed to your channel as well

:) I made them because I know how daunting the editor can be to begin with, but when I started with it I had been modding/editing Morrowind/Oblivion for years, so it wasn't quite as bad for me. I have a great platform to help the community get started in mission making and I want to share my knowledge with everyone I can to see ArmA succeed amazingly.

You guys have no idea how excited I am to see ArmA III Alpha no.1 on steam top sellers every day since it came out. There is so much amazing potential for the new game that it's nearly incomprehensible.

You guys have no idea how excited I am to see ArmA III Alpha no.1 on steam top sellers every day since it came out. There is so much amazing potential for the new game that it's nearly incomprehensible.

Arma 3 is the medicine the industry needs. It has been very sick for quite a while.

I'll be putting out two at least this week. I'm going to go over simple triggers and syncing, custom gearboxes and class lists, "Ghetto" mission briefings via markers, and Modules.

The one I may struggle with is Modules because there are so many cool new ones that I don't know about yet. So I'll probably just do modules in phases as I learn about them.

I'll be putting out two at least this week. I'm going to go over simple triggers and syncing, custom gearboxes and class lists, "Ghetto" mission briefings via markers, and Modules.

The one I may struggle with is Modules because there are so many cool new ones that I don't know about yet. So I'll probably just do modules in phases as I learn about them.

Concise and precise - Your tutorials are exceptional sir. :cheers:

Thanks kindly !

Very helpful, I was looking for a beginner tutorial and this is perfect. Looking forward to more.

OP Updated with video: Building a Custom Gearbox

I also changed the title of the thread as I will be posting all of my video tutorials in this thread, instead of starting a new thread for each one.

My next video(possibly tomorrow) will be "Ghetto" Briefings using Markers, Triggers, and Syncing.