Sign in to follow this  
gvse

Bringing A2 weapon addons to A3

Hi guys,

i'd appreciate it if somebody could explain or direct me to a relevant thread that elaborates what needs to be done to bring weapons we have in A2 to A3. Im thinking of a "forced" port that does not account for e.g. reload animations or modularity of weapons, but which still lets you use old weapons in A3. Any chance that such a sloppy job requires simple editing of given lines of config files or am I being too optimistic here?

EDIT: a SLOPPY solution!

If you want A2, OA default weapons and some custom weapon addons (e.g. RH smg pack, Christian's mp7 pack, etc.) you need to load your custom addons along with these BIS pbo's:

a. weapons.pbo, weapons2.pbo (which you will find in your Arma2/OA directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Bohemia Interactive\AddOns)

b. weapons_e.pbo (which you will find in your Arma2/OA directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Bohemia Interactive\Expansion\Addons)

Just copy these pbo's to one folder and load it as you would your other addons.

Bear in mind that this is a quick and dirty job: you will get errors as the game is loaded, weapons will not be modular, you probably won't have muzzle flashes. You should be able to see, hear and shoot these weapons in A3 though!

EDIT 2. THE RIGHT WAY: ALWARREN'S TUTORIAL

Check this page, where Alwarren has kindly written a tutorial instructing what needs to be done to do a propoer port of individual weapons.

Thank you kindly Alwarren! :)

Edited by GvsE

Hi guys,

i'd appreciate it if somebody could explain or direct me to a relevant thread that elaborates what needs to be done to bring weapons we have in A2 to A3. Im thinking of a "forced" port that does not account for e.g. reload animations or modularity of weapons, but which still lets you use old weapons in A3. Any chance that such a sloppy job requires simple editing of given lines of config files or am I being too optimistic here?

You should probably check out this thread: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?146948-Alpha-modding-what-help-will-we-get

> this

There should be some package with tools, tutorials and examples available some time later. Not right away with Alpha launch, from purely practical reasons - all the efforts went to making the actual game first. But I really look forward to support the whole modding thing more, will gladly make some tutorials when all is ready.

(...)

---------- Post added at 11:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 AM ----------

Gun models are pretty much the same as in A2, except they have extra proxy slots for attachments. But I dare to guess the conversion will be possible with current A2 tools - I once tried to run an old Arma2 AK74 in Arma3 by just replacing the model of existing rifle and it worked pretty okay right away. There might be some difference in named selections and material settings, but overall there shoudl be no showstopping problems.

edit:

ninja'd

Thanks, I did just now. The only useful thing there is Vespa's statement:

Gun models are pretty much the same as in A2, except they have extra proxy slots for attachments. But I dare to guess the conversion will be possible with current A2 tools - I once tried to run an old Arma2 AK74 in Arma3 by just replacing the model of existing rifle and it worked pretty okay right away. There might be some difference in named selections and material settings, but overall there shoudl be no showstopping problems.

This isn't specific enough though. Any other hints?

Edit: hehe, you beat me to it topas. ;)

This isn't specific enough though. Any other hints?

No other hints yet, i guess its too early yet. When we are at BETA stage i guess we might know more.

I don't think so. The knowledge is already out there. Look at this test version which works just fine (reload animation works as well): http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=18741

Some popular weapon packs can already be loaded without major hassle: take RH smg for instance, and you'll get pistol versions of mp7, mp5k and one more. Sure, they lack reload animation but they CAN be loaded into the game. I bet there's something in config that prevents the other weapons from appearing, but I do not know what it is. :(

I don't think so. The knowledge is already out there. Look at this test version which works just fine (reload animation works as well): http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=18741

Some popular weapon packs can already be loaded without major hassle: take RH smg for instance, and you'll get pistol versions of mp7, mp5k and one more. Sure, they lack reload animation but they CAN be loaded into the game. I bet there's something in config that prevents the other weapons from appearing, but I do not know what it is. :(

I didn't realise that had been released, might see if i can get my Nogovan Rifles Arma2 addon working in Arma3.

How to bring A2 weapons to A3.

First, I know sooo many people know this already, shouldn't take so much time. So please people, if you know stuff, share it. Only way for the community to advance.

Now on topic..

If you have a weapon with built in silencer (no muzzle flash) and no attachment you are lucky, your weapon already have all that is needed, but then you probably wouldn't look here anyway right.

So this is for weapons with muzzle flash and all the attachments.

Step 1 - Remove unneeded content

This means the A2 proxy for muzzle flash and scopes, IR pointers.

Step 2 - Add proxies to your model

Look at your weapon from the side.

Click on the menu Create and choose proxy

Write:

\a3\data_f\proxies\weapon_slots\muzzle.001

Repeat but write instead:

\a3\data_f\proxies\weapon_slots\top.001

\a3\data_f\proxies\weapon_slots\side.001

This gives the places for attachments.

For muzzle flash write:

\a3\data_f\proxies\muzzle_flash\muzzle_flash_rifle_mk20

In config, just inherit from one of the current weapons.

I hope this was enough to get your guys started and then someone else can keep writing.

Cool :D will try this out on the M4

Any idea how to create custom optics to attach so I can bring over the Western Arma 2 optics I have?

not to hard, just make a p3d with the optic in it just remember to have a memory lod with the eye point.

then its mostly just config work to get it working, only problem i see is that all the weapons need a compatibleItems[] in the cowsslot config, meaning that vanilla weapons wont be able to use your new optics

unless you overwrite the vanilla ones which isnt a good idea if one would have 2 addons that both overwrite the vanilla values.

weaponslotinfo config that should be in the weapon config of your weapon, where i had to add my optics classname to be able to use it on my weapon.

class WeaponSlotsInfo : WeaponSlotsInfo {
		class MuzzleSlot : SlotInfo {
			linkProxy = "\A3\data_f\proxies\weapon_slots\MUZZLE";
			compatibleItems[] = {"muzzle_snds_h"};
		};

class CowsSlot : CowsSlot {
			compatibleItems[] = {"optic_Arco", "optic_aco", "optic_ACO_grn", "optic_hamr", "optic_Holosight","[b]optic_sam_aimpoint[/b]","[b]optic_sam_aimpoint_3x[/b]"};
		};

class PointerSlot : PointerSlot {};
	};

config for optics i used, works well for me.

class cfgWeapons {
class ItemCore;	// External class reference
class InventoryItem_Base_F;	// External class reference
class InventoryMuzzleItem_Base_F;	// External class reference
class InventoryOpticsItem_Base_F;	// External class reference
class InventoryFlashLightItem_Base_F;	// External class reference

class optic_sam_aimpoint : ItemCore {
	scope = 2;
	displayName = "Aimpoint CS";
	picture = "\A3\weapons_F\Data\UI\gear_acco_EOTxps3_CA.paa";
	model = "\sam_acc\optic_aimpoint";
	descriptionShort = "1x, unlimited eye relief";
	weaponInfoType = "RscWeaponZeroing";

class ItemInfo : InventoryOpticsItem_Base_F {
		mass = 4;
		RMBhint = "Aimpoint";
		modelOptics = "\A3\Weapons_F\empty";
		optics = 1;

class OpticsModes {
			class Kolminator {
				opticsID = 1;
				useModelOptics = 0;
				opticsZoomMin = 0.375;
				opticsZoomMax = 1.1;
				opticsZoomInit = 0.75;
				memoryPointCamera = "eye";
				opticsFlare = 0;
				opticsDisablePeripherialVision = 0;
				distanceZoomMin = 300;
				distanceZoomMax = 300;
				cameraDir = "";
				visionMode[] = {};
				opticsPPEffects[] = {""};
			};

class Backup : Kolminator {
				opticsID = 2;
				useModelOptics = 0;
				opticsFlare = 0;
				opticsDisablePeripherialVision = 0;
				opticsZoomMin = 0.25;
				opticsZoomMax = 1.1;
				opticsZoomInit = 0.5;
				memoryPointCamera = "backup";
				visionMode[] = {};
			};
		};
	};
};
};

Thank you for the input guys!

In the meantime I have figured out a quick and sloppy way to load those old addons into A3 (see updated first post).

Keep sharing detailed instructions on how to port addons so that the community may benefit!

optic_sam, should be sam_optic right?

some of these might not look so good, but if you want a different muzzle flash try one of these.

muzzle_flash1.p3d

muzzle_flash2.p3d muzzle_flash3.p3d

muzzle_flash_2x2.p3d muzzle_flash_2x2_Front.p3d

muzzle_flash_GM6.p3d muzzle_flash_GMG.p3d

muzzle_flash_Mk20_Front.p3d muzzle_flash_pistol.p3d

muzzle_flash_pistol_FlareGun.p3d muzzle_flash_pistol_Mk26.p3d

muzzle_flash_pistol_P07.p3d muzzle_flash_pistol_Ruger.p3d

muzzle_flash_rifle_AA40.p3d muzzle_flash_rifle_GM6.p3d

muzzle_flash_rifle_KRISS.p3d muzzle_flash_rifle_KSG.p3d

muzzle_flash_rifle_M200.p3d muzzle_flash_rifle_M230.p3d

muzzle_flash_rifle_M4.p3d muzzle_flash_rifle_Mk20.p3d

muzzle_flash_rifle_MX25.p3d muzzle_flash_rifle_PDW2000.p3d

muzzle_flash_rifle_RFB.p3d muzzle_flash_rifle_Scorpion.p3d

muzzle_flash_rifle_TRG20.p3d muzzle_flash_rocket_70mm.p3d

muzzle_flash_rocket_Aim9x.p3d muzzle_flash_rocket_Hellfire.p3d

muzzle_flash_rocket_Zephyr.p3d muzzle_flash_silencer.p3d

muzzle_flash_XM25.p3d Smoke_white_tail.p3d

I have been looking into codes and files.. not ingame, so can't say how this is actually used but I noticed there is also some gunfire script.. but anyway, you will find out :)

EDIT: a SLOPPY solution!

If you want A2, OA default weapons and some custom weapon addons (e.g. RH smg pack, Christian's mp7 pack, etc.) you need to load your custom addons along with these BIS pbo's:

a. weapons.pbo, weapons2.pbo (which you will find in your Arma2/OA directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Bohemia Interactive\AddOns)

b. weapons_e.pbo (which you will find in your Arma2/OA directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Bohemia Interactive\Expansion\Addons)

Just copy these pbo's to one folder and load it as you would your other addons.

Bear in mind that this is a quick and dirty job: you will get errors as the game is loaded, weapons will not be modular, you probably won't have muzzle flashes. You should be able to see, hear and shoot these weapons in A3 though!

You told me how to make them so the game loads them in but how to I actually use the guns?

I assume you know you should use the editor to test these weapons.

1. When inside the Editor, double-click anywhere on the map and place a Unit, for example "Rifleman".

2. Make sure the Unit is set as the "Player" and not "Playable" or "Non-Playable".

3. Double click on the map again and select Empty Units/Ammo

4. Now select ammo boxes (unfortunately many A2/OA ammo boxes will have no names here so you'll need to experiment)

Alternatively (and that's what I do) use the crate filler script by Tonic: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=18772

Hope this helps

not to hard, just make a p3d with the optic in it just remember to have a memory lod with the eye point.

then its mostly just config work to get it working, only problem i see is that all the weapons need a compatibleItems[] in the cowsslot config, meaning that vanilla weapons wont be able to use your new optics

unless you overwrite the vanilla ones which isnt a good idea if one would have 2 addons that both overwrite the vanilla values.

Doesn't that mean that essentially there is going to be a big issue with, say, making an attachment pack since that will only work on vanilla guns? I mean, you don't strictly add your own attachments to the list, you repeat the whole list but this time without the attachments.

It would be much better if there was a way to extend the array. For example, instead of writing

compatibleItems[] = {"optic_Arco", "optic_aco", "optic_ACO_grn", "optic_hamr", "optic_Holosight","optic_sam_aimpoint","optic_sam_aimpoint_3x"};

a syntax like

compatibleItems[] += {"optic_sam_aimpoint","optic_sam_aimpoint_3x"};

would ensure you can use all the standard items PLUS your own items.

Otherwise, there's going to be a CF with what items fit on what weapon.

I don't think this is possible right now, but without such a mechanic, I foresee trouble. Or am I overlooking something?

Has anyone got class names for the rifles? I can't open up the PBO :(

Ah sweet thanks man, missed that :)

Has anyone got class names for the rifles? I can't open up the PBO :(

Eliteness can open, or rather, extract the PBO's.

While I'm the middle of getting the proxies right, does anyone know if magazines work the same way? Changing depending on mag type?

While I'm the middle of getting the proxies right, does anyone know if magazines work the same way? Changing depending on mag type?

From what I have observed, the magazine change is a gesture. The solider performs it automatically. The magazine needs to slide out instead of just hiding, and needs to slide in again. Still experimenting with that, I guess it's a matter of getting the timing correct.

You mean do they change appearance depending on what mag you select from your inventory to load into the weapon?

Doesn't look that way no. E.g if you try to swap the standard 100rnd 6.5mm quad-stack magazine on the MX SW with the 30rnd 6.5mm mag used on other MX variants, the magazine loaded into the weapon still appears as the same longer, quad-stacked type you started with - much like in previous games.

I'm sure there's a valid reason BIS haven't been able to implements this, considering the level of customisation of firearms we now have available otherwise.

I assume you know you should use the editor to test these weapons.

1. When inside the Editor, double-click anywhere on the map and place a Unit, for example "Rifleman".

2. Make sure the Unit is set as the "Player" and not "Playable" or "Non-Playable".

3. Double click on the map again and select Empty Units/Ammo

4. Now select ammo boxes (unfortunately many A2/OA ammo boxes will have no names here so you'll need to experiment)

Alternatively (and that's what I do) use the crate filler script by Tonic: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=18772

Hope this helps

Interesting, I followed all the steps correctly and they still weren't showing up for me as ammo boxes.