Sign in to follow this  
Alistair

Will there be a crash/emergency landing feature?

With the new phisyx feature,i wonder if we will be able to crash with our aircraft and land it instead of blowing up on touch.

Is it possible?:smiley-blunder:

I think he means the damage model during crash landing more then anything.

;2310424']I think he means the damage model during crash landing more then anything.

This and the fact that if you hit the ground' date='lets say,a bit hard,your chopper will blow up instantly...how many times i lost control,with a lot of people inside,and the chopper blew up when i touched the ground.It would be perfect if we could survive a crash,with the heli reacting to the phisyx and terrain.

Thats more due to the HP going to 0 and the vehicle going kerboosh than just going crink and ceasing to function, not generally something that physX is going to help with.

Edited by NodUnit

That would be awesome, I wonder if not done with the native helicopters if it would be possible to achieve with a mod.

I agree, it would definitely be awesome if helicopter crashes were like in real life.

ArmA 2's are instant flameballs if you touch anything. Only if you're going EXTREMELY slow you're not gonna get swallowed by a ball of fire from hell.

I really hope this feature is either implemented or at least could be possibly made down the road. I think it would be great to have and would add to the realism big time. It would also keep me from raging everytime a helo goes down and the tail accidently touches the ground, resulting in it blowing up.

I also hope it means that if a jet hits a tree or something it doesn't instantly stop and explode right there. It would be cool if it would at least knock the tree over and throw the jet or something.

Adding a more sim damage model and scrapping the HP system would be a start. Only allowing for complete destruction of a vehicle by explosion or direct penetration of fuel systems (with cannon fire/small arms).

I can imagine killing the pilot from stray MG fire and watching him sink to the ground slowly, with that awesome ground slide as he hits home. Maybe with the tail rotor creasing in. Awww yeah.

I really hope this feature is either implemented or at least could be possibly made down the road. I think it would be great to have and would add to the realism big time. It would also keep me from raging everytime a helo goes down and the tail accidently touches the ground, resulting in it blowing up.

I also hope it means that if a jet hits a tree or something it doesn't instantly stop and explode right there. It would be cool if it would at least knock the tree over and throw the jet or something.

Exactly.Planes/helis must react to terrain and objects.Place a chopper in the Editor,while flying it still,turn the engines off...its ridiculous..Now try landing in a small rock...the moment the heli touches it,it explodes....if the tail touches the ground it explodes.Its just not realistic at all,and even with the engine limitations,i think they can work out something to fix this.

Look at this video.If the choppers could react like this while crash landing,it would be perfect.No need for complex animations.Just the impact.

Maybe if helicopters would not always explode on contact with the ground when its health reaches zero.

It's possible to crash land as is, but the physics we all are used to damages your helicopter by far more than needed if you have a little speed.

Did your tailrotor just touch that tree branch at speed? Well, bad news for you. Kaboom. Fireball.

I'm not saying that it currently does not work like it should, but it is by far exaggerated.

I've always wondered why ArmA uses the "HP = 0? Explode!" system of vehicle health. Your rotor hitting a tree at speed should just destroy the rotor and cause you to lose lift, forcing you to careen into the ground/more trees, which may or may not kill you depending on how fast you stop.

The only things that should cause an explosion are direct hits on ammunition storage. (and fires from fuel storage ofc)

I've always wondered why ArmA uses the "HP = 0? Explode!" system of vehicle health. Your rotor hitting a tree at speed should just destroy the rotor and cause you to lose lift, forcing you to careen into the ground/more trees, which may or may not kill you depending on how fast you stop.

The only things that should cause an explosion are direct hits on ammunition storage. (and fires from fuel storage ofc)

Indeed,they must remove this HP system,and replace it with something more realistic.I think this new version of the engine can do that.Combining the Physix feature and some programming.I think the devs can come up with something really good.:D

I have faith on them.And i hope they listen to us.This game has so much potential,and i belive that it will be one of the greatest games in history! :D

HP 0 = Damage the crew by 90-100% and make the vehicle dead.

Explode vehicle only if destroyed by a weapon with HE force (tanks main gun/satchels etc.) or because of a high-speed crash.

Would be a small improvement, but still not as good as having a real component driven damage-model.

You can see a nice example, I think, in War Thunder.

You have a lot of ways to crash there, though I think it works on HP system because only sometimes you get a bad hit from a single bullet.

When you ram into other plane, your wing could rip off, or your engine will die and etc...

They should use kind of system like that, but when a part actually dis-attached from the helli, it won't disappear rather just fall on the ground like in halo.

GTA 4 has some form of system where by the car can sometimes explode, or if you just crash it loads, it just wont start anymore.

what the Arma 3 devs should be trying to come up with (if they haven't already of course) is a system which gives indicators when a "part" of the vehicle is shot rather than the whole thing, so if I shoot the rotors in Arma 2 its only the rotors which take damage, if I was to shoot a HE round at a part of the heli and it doesn't hit the fuel tank it should crumple and maybe injure the crew but it shouldn't explode.

And when the heli hits for the floor, again it shouldnt explode but the bounce and crash will break apart the heli, or maybe just turn it into a "wreck" which if you survive you can get out of.

It would be great to see this at some point. A helicopter crashing should not (always) explode, just like a car that gets fired at by small arms should not explode after a bunch of hits. A "real damage system" would be cool if it allowed cars engines to die or start on fire, but not just explode because the HP is 0. Attempting to land a heli after a rotor has been taken out would be a great experience and add to the games realism standpoint. Could imagine some interesting black hawk down like standoffs after a heli crash.

GTA 4 has some form of system where by the car can sometimes explode, or if you just crash it loads, it just wont start anymore.

Indeed it did, I was both scared and impressed the first time I lost my tail to a surrounding building, proceeding to spin out and eventually land. :)

Watch until the end.Its a pretty much old video...But look how it touches the ground before exploding.

You can see a nice example, I think, in War Thunder.

You have a lot of ways to crash there, though I think it works on HP system because only sometimes you get a bad hit from a single bullet.

When you ram into other plane, your wing could rip off, or your engine will die and etc...

They should use kind of system like that, but when a part actually dis-attached from the helli, it won't disappear rather just fall on the ground like in halo.

For a case such as that it has been possible since Arma 1 to have components fall off...the problem is that the collision remains the same, so say your wing or tail falls off, visually it is gone but as far as collision is concerned the geometry is still there...I hope this can be changed with Arma 3's new capabilities.