Sign in to follow this  
rehtus777

Putting Stratis into perspective on size.

25262130.jpg

There is plenty of room for destruction and mayhem :D

My hats off to BIS for making the Alpha such a large training ground to prepare for Altis.

There is plenty of space for: bombing / gun runs; infantry maneuvers; deep sea scuba diving; Halo jumps; going on a Sunday drive; and etc.

Oorah.

And if I am correct this is the smaller island of ARMA 3 is it not?

And if I am correct this is the smaller island of ARMA 3 is it not?

Indeed it is, and by an order of magnitude! :D

any one got a comparison of the biggest island that wil be in ARMA 3 compared to the biggest official island in AMRA2 :)

EDIT I read that all the building in stratis will be entarable is this correct if so will they all so be in the biggest island of ARMA 3 if so wow thats insane

At least it's decently sized and has some differences in terrain.

The "small" Stratis is also considerably bigger than Skyrim and GTA4 map

a2a3comparison22.jpg

Here is Altis in perspective. That is Chernarus (without the Ocean) v. Altis (with Ocean)

lol it looks double sized compared to cherno, no wonders BIs needs so much time to work on arma 3. Insane indeed!

Chernos is 225km² of landmass, Altis 270km². Is not that bigger if you don't count the seafloor but is nice enough.

Anyway, anyone noticed any change in Altis shape after the (ongoing) incident?

http://www.arma3.com/images/altis_small.png?2 (196 kB)

We used to play Warfare PVP on Utes with 32 players - pretty hardcore inch-by-inch advancement & counter-attack gameplay. The tide was usually turned by a small recon/infiltration team, capable of taking out the most pressing enemy assets, i.e.: MBTs, Heavy Fac, HQ, MG/AT emplacements, Barracks etc.

yes, i played on a 48 players utes warfare. Most crazy thing experienced in arma lol. Wasteland at utes is quite epic as well.

Not sure if it helps but I made this using Google Earth and editing in Photoshop. :)

http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/12312724/img/12312724.png (674 kB)

Nice post. That really puts it ALL into perspective.

Here is another post of Chernarus v. Altis with the "Politically Correct" name of the Island :p ryanbeckey posted it earlier but with the dreaded "L" word posted with the Island. I have corrected it.

altisvchernarus2.jpg

Just Cause 2's map is bigger than all of Arma's maps though, that thing is 1000sq kilometers...

The sad thing is we'll need maps that are 1,000x1,000km to use jets properly though and ridiculous view/shadow/object draw distances to boot! BI will need to come up with some badass terrain generation/editing tools for that scale and detail in the next decade if that is to become feasible.

Is that a dried up lake or something in the NE part of Altis/Limnos?

Edit: Nm, it's marked as "Salt Lagoon" on A3 Altis maps. :)

According to the an "Altis" Information site it is a salt marsh located around 2k from the eastern coast.

@BobcatBob: Already possible in ToH with lower res maps, I already fly fixed wing on SE Asia map at 20K view distance and 12k object draw distance.

Also with other tests I have done 35k is the max draw distance required to completely negate any visible fogging band, the 12k object draw above is max perceivable object distance required to negate any visible object pop in.

Both tests above representative of a 1080 based resolution, higher may require more distance again to remove any visible map or object pop in.

The only limit is our PCs, BIS engine can already produce the results.

I look forward to almost blowing up my CPU and GPUs trying for max settings on Altis.

Edited by Liquidpinky

They have the technology already, its called terrain paging. Google it :)

The sad thing is we'll need maps that are 1,000x1,000km to use jets properly though and ridiculous view/shadow/object draw distances to boot! BI will need to come up with some badass terrain generation/editing tools for that scale and detail in the next decade if that is to become feasible.

Sure, the ArmA 2 maps are somewhat small for jets, but the fix for that is "Aircraft Carriers." The same goes for ArmA 3, if you're attacking an Island that is occupied by the enemy, then you put a Carrier in the Sea and take off from there....very realistic. Hopefully they'll merge Stratis with Altis, there is plenty of Air Space between the two Islands.

1.000km x 1.000km? I say, not before Arma V, maybe some fan made map for arma IV.

I'm glad we've got an actual island again. The lifeless plains at the edge of the map in Chernarus were never fun to run into, beacheads always are.