Lenyoga

Operation SHOCK (Full Mod + Campaign)

Operation SHOCK is a mod for Arma: Cold War Assault // Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis.
The first beta release comes with a demo mission, a mod folder and a few basic units and features.
Warning! There are pictures in the post below.

Story
The main story takes place several years after System Shock 2 (at the return of the Von Braun) on a UNN space station. There will be two enemy factions, details will come later, because all the ideas are constantly changing throughout the process.

Mod Features
- A big fat UI overhaul,config file changes, modifications to the equipment files
- Custom weapon scripts, visual effects and gameplay scripts

Weapons and Items
- Most classic weapons and many items from Shock 2 will be present in slightly updated form
- all weapons have specific fire scripts, a ricochet system has been added for some
- Items include some of the hypos from Shock 2 (health, anti radiation, anti toxin, psi) and mission relevant objects
- Audiologs and cyber modules are included too

RPG Elements
- Stat system: You'll have three basic stats (Weapons, Tech, Psi) and three minor stats (Medicine, Repair, Research), they influence weapons and items, as well as the hacking minigame and context-dependent situations (repairing medical stations for example)
- Currency system: Nanites for hacking and researching, cyber modules for upgrades.

Units
- Shodan: former UNN personnel, security bots, cyborg assassins, turrets, security cameras, protocol droids
- UNN: UNN soldiers, crew members
- ???: special forces
- the mutants were scrapped, because the first storyline idea involving TriOp picking up the mutagen which evolved into the Many was dropped.

Buildings, Objects, Levels
The toughest part to create - all the interiors, misc objects and anything decorative you find within the levels.

Sound
The sound design is one of my major focus areas. I'm sticking to Eric Brosius' style in Shock 2 and the Thief games, the music will be kept in a similar style (with techno tracks and dark ambient tracks for different sections).
All of the sound and music is edit and created by me, using Audacity, Ableton Live and several other production elements. I've finished a few tracks using software versions of classic synths that were used in the original game soundtrack, as well as samples of the game's demo tracks (provided and respectively created by Josh Randall)

Plans and Info:
March 2014 - working towards a beta release with the first mission, campaign not planned yet (mod folder with basic files, enemy units, weapons, scripts, etc. but no full campaign)
January 2015 - demo mission with mod folder and all basic gameplay elements and features finished and uploaded
July2015 - demo mission with mod folder and all basic gameplay elements and features finished and uploaded, updated

I'm working on this project alone, so a final release date cannot be estimated yet. Most important updates will follow in this thread (chatter on the general topic, questions, ideas and so forth are welcome.)
If you want to see funny colorful moving thingies, seek out that YouTube playlist (sorted oldest to newest to get some picture of the improvements):

If you want to have updates on Facial Tome, here you go: https://www.facebook.com/OperationShock
(other than that, I'm also on OFPEC.com and reachable via PM)

Requirements:
To see the full colors, you need to remove the night pixelshader effect (the one that makes everything go black and white at night, for some reason) - the best way to go is Kegetys' DXDLL - http://www.kegetys.fi/ofp/index.php?p=others (it has a configuration file or dialog, you can change the settings there)

Releases:

Demo v0.86 This is the updated demo release, with mod folder and the first mission in the campaign.
Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bnmo4agw7g8sf0h/OperationSHOCK_demo_v086.rar?dl=0

Fixes v0.85-0.86

- added: med hypos and psi heal now take time instead of instant effect
- added: metal/blood footstep sounds for the player unit
- added: custom reload sounds for pistol, assault rifle, shotgun and fusion cannon
- fixed: custom fusion cannon effects and sound improved
- fixed: new models for pistol, assault rifle, shotgun and fusion cannon
- fixed: new models and sound for turret
- fixed: Psi Amp system reworked
- fixed: custom inventory descriptions
- fixed: removed default explosion effect (it caused issues with stronger ammo indoors)
- fixed: some door and wall textures
- fixed: movement and sound scripts for protocol droid, cyborg assassin and security bot
- fixed: set island ground texture to black
- fixed: improved models for crew and UNN soldiers
- misc: cleaned up a few messy scripts

- mission1: mission objectives and notepad sections added
- mission1: cutscenes and sounds added/modified

Thanks to everyone for the support so far, and especially to the WW4 team and SoldierEPilot!

• Like 4

Picture Thread:

This section contains images of the mod, mostly the finished objects (all below 100kb)

Weapons - the following weapons are "modernized" versions of the standard System Shock 2 guns:

T-6 Fusion Cannon

_fcannonIngame1_zpsiqczxfc3.jpg

M-22 A3 assault rifle and shotgun

gunsNew_zpsux2xxcyk.jpg

Talon M2A4

TalonPistol_Blender_zpsxsoqqkfo.jpg

Units

Security Turret - based on the Shock 2 model too, but with a few new details

turretnew_zpsg2vejmng.jpg

the crew - some are based on the Von Braun's crew, others are new ideas for UNN crew

ShockCrew_zpspfgim9rj.jpg

Edited by Lenyoga
More pics

Screenshot post above.

Edited by Lenyoga
Love

A little update:

The RPG elements are now planned out fully - the MFD (the cyber-interface used to look at the stats, access audio logs, a little info page and the research page) is fully done already. The hack and repair system exists on paper already and it won't take long until those basics are done and implemented. I will try to record a few demonstration video of all the little features and link it here within the next weeks. This is a damn big project and loads of work, but as soon as the basics are done, the mission-design will be easier if I do the planning thoroughly and optimize my working process.

Video posts will follow later.

Edited by Lenyoga
Love

Impressive work! That interface must have required a lot of effort! I'm really amazed. :)

Looking great! Keep it up :ok:

Planning the first section of the game in detail, I noticed it's too much for one person to do within a reasonable time frame. I'm thinking about cutting out a third of the story/missions to make work easier - it would also allow me to concentrate on the main conflict, and not to that additional UNN - TriOptimum issue I had in mind at first.

So, a little demo pack containing the usable units has been finished and uploaded. It's on the first post.

Damn! I just discovered this and the other vids/trailers and it looks amazing. Why isn't this more popular?

I am also wondering how is the AI in these tight corridors? Do they still walk through walls and all over the place or is this something you've already handled/will handle with scripts etc.? :)

Thanks for the motivational reply!

And yeah, the AI is somewhat under control now. I did a first field test some weeks ago, and if the paths LOD is done correctly, they stay within the walls (using move command and waypoints) - in groups they'd probably still be all over the place. Also, I can't wait to get back home again in the next days - I've got ideas for a demo level to make and upload.

I tried your mod today Lenyoga.

It is really fun and interesting. Why didn't you use ww4mod animations?

Anyway if you need anything from my releases, you can use work without asking for permission.

Take care.

I tried your mod today Lenyoga.

It is really fun and interesting. Why didn't you use ww4mod animations?

Anyway if you need anything from my releases, you can use work without asking for permission.

Take care.

Thanks for the feedback; I thought about doing some custom animations, but then remembered the schizophrenic nightmares I was cast into by OFPAnim... I didn't try out the ww4mod ones yet, thanks for letting me know! That'll make things a lot easier for me! I'm working on a less incomplete release with a mod folder and some sort of demo mission and all the extra features which don't work without using mod folders...

A bit late to the party, but congrats to Lenyoga for outstanding mod! I've never played System Shock, so I don't know if this mod "catches" that atmosphere, but it's really inspirational and original.

A bit late to the party, but congrats to Lenyoga for outstanding mod! I've never played System Shock, so I don't know if this mod "catches" that atmosphere, but it's really inspirational and original.

The party didn't even fully start yet, so everybody's still right on time. And I hope I'll get the atmosphere right, it'll require a lot of 3d work on the 'levels' and some tricky light work... I hope I'll have some time to work on the thing again soon.

Just gave the demo a try am now actually pretty excited about this :)

Agreed. Really wish this was more popular! If it was back in 2006, it would be all over ofp.info and the community.

Looking forward to the progress!

Well, a little update - I got a lot of things done, about a third of the demo mission, but I'm very busy, tired and burned out these days. I'm not sure if I'll be able to do a release soon - I'm not giving up yet, though, it's too fun to stop it.

Take a break and come back to it. We will be here waiting to play it when ready.

A little update - I'm still on it, but still busy, so work is going slow. The good news - the fusion cannon is done and ready, here's a little demo video:

UcNY19O08T0

Edited by Lenyoga
Correcting YouTube link