Sign in to follow this  
daringd

New 15.36 x 15.36 island map WIP (since October '12)

nice work look great,but my suggestion is if you use only arma default buildings and objects from my point of view you will create another "mini chernarus or takistan" and many buildings are not enterable.on armaholic there are at least 40+ nice maps but for me only maps with custom things can offer something more.for example icebreakr is the creator of some of the best maps (lingor,duala,etc.) and he use to mix many custom things mixed with dafault arma stuff.so i strongly suggest you to give a look at some of the nice buildings and object addons you can find.here an example.. http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=14828 http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=15180&highlight=MBG anyway nice job your island already look also realistic keep the work^^

Hey Vivadiga,

All great points, and I agree on all of them, I don't want to create just another mini Chernarus! back in older posts I described what I wanted to do, which is create something new, new areas, buildings, and a new feel, something a little more familier, towns that feel lived in. as you can see, I have employed BIS buildings so far, and there is a reason, and fore-thought to this. the BIS team are currently working on the DayZ standalone, and have, to my current knowledge, been working on making all of those buildings enterable. I plan to release this island later in the year for use with that stand alone game, and later try to make it more suitable for general ARMA 2 (and possibly 3?) usability, where I can simply change the route to the current buildings, with the route to the enterable ones. So that is one point, secondly, I'm working on recreating as much as possible of the exsisting buildings in Bamberg, and I plan to make them enterable, within reason, plus I want to create an array of smaller custom models, sounds, and other details to try and keep things feeling original.

I have to say thanks for providing the link you have too, and for using that word 'but', it's really only reading feedback like this that reminds me, and reinforces my original plan.

Thank you, and please, keep it coming at me if and when you see something that just doesn't sit right, or you have a feeling that X or Y might work better.

good post.

D

Earlier today at work I was proudly showing off a few of the screenshots of this island during a 'nerd-off' at work, then an onlooker asked me why I'd named the towns how I had, and then went on to tell me that not only was the phonetic translation wrong, but that the actual names made little or no sense in Russian (which she speaks, since she is Russian). So I have decided to re-name the townships again, after handing her a list of all of my town names and asking her for her help, which is nice... So just as a little heads up to anyone who had noticed my terrible Russian so far, I am fixing that.

In other news, I'm now working on some unique buildings and bridges, but this all takes time, learning Oxygen2 is no easy thing, along with rediscovering Maya, having to UV again, which I hate beyond words and having to juggle all of this with a social life. Although this so far seems like a personal diary entry so far, there is a point, in that it is a little update to let anyone following the progress know that I am STILL doing stuff and have not just given up, and also if anyone reading this is in ANY WAY willing and able to offer any help, I would be very interested in knowing, to keep momentum, and for that all important fresh perspective, since I have noticed I'm becoming a little blinkered with being the only person on this.

As soon as I have any new images of any of the models I'm now working on, I'll be sure to get them up ASAP.

D

The map's looking really nice Daring, and it's great to see the Harlech coast line is forming a part of it. I live some 45mins north of there and it is a truly beautiful area. How do you know of it, have you been there yourself before?

Hey Taffy,

I also take great pleasure in using that section of coastline! and I'm glad that someone has recognised it! Being a 'Brummie' I used to holiday a lot along the coast there, and a lot in a place very near Dyffryn Ardudwy, as did most other working class families from Birmingham, as you will most likely know (I think you're more likely to hear a Brummie or blackcountry accent in north wales than in the west midlands it's self). Anyway, some of my earliest memories are from that region, and a lot of the other areas in this map are all fished from my experiences in one way or another, places I have some connection with in some way. I'm even thinking of modelling a more usable selection of Welsh style dry stone walls, we'll see!

D

Looks really good so far! Keep it up! Looking forward to playing on this island

@slatts

"For those who won't buy A3 because of Steam, all I can say is I'll be having the best 5 minutes of my life before my PC explodes in a massive fireball engulfing me as I laugh from dying at the awesomeness of Arma3."

Lol

In other news, I'm now working on some unique buildings and bridges, but this all takes time, learning Oxygen2 is no easy thing, along with rediscovering Maya, having to UV again, which I hate beyond words and having to juggle all of this with a social life. Although this so far seems like a personal diary entry so far, there is a point, in that it is a little update to let anyone following the progress know that I am STILL doing stuff and have not just given up, and also if anyone reading this is in ANY WAY willing and able to offer any help, I would be very interested in knowing, to keep momentum, and for that all important fresh perspective, since I have noticed I'm becoming a little blinkered with being the only person on this.

Do you have a list/photo's of items you need made? Maybe I can help make something for ya!

Adumb,

I have my own sort of list, but I can certainly throw something together if you are willing to help! As previously stated, the learning curve is effing massive, so I'm just taking too much time to do things right now.

The list would be quite long, and depending on what sort of items you're interested in making, buildings, small items or decoration/'set dressing', you would have a lot to choose from, for sure, I'll get something together and fire it your way in the next couple of days, and we can see what you think, and thanks for the offer!

I was going to PM this to you, but maybe a public list might encourage/interest others, so I'll post it here.

D

but maybe a public list might encourage/interest others, so I'll post it here.

+1

There's a lot to know about making buildings for Arma2. Ideas such has how to dimension doorways and windows. Or how to get a decent quality texture using the multi material.

My best advice to you is to not rush the project, have breaks of 1-2 weeks of not working on it at all to recuperate your spirits of island-making. Especially the placing of "incidental" objects is time consuming and sometimes even frustrating.

Oh, and have you had a look at this existing building pack? Though it may not fit into the russian-styled villages.

Hey Mondkalb,

A couple of your building packs have been suggested to me, and I have stumbled upon them myself, both the pack you suggest here and the killhouses. I'm currently trying to figure out how they could be worked in to the island. I have sent you a message from your email form on your repository, with a few questions, but nothing to get too excited about.

Anyway, regarding your tutorials, I've been following a couple along to help me on my way with the first model I'm building, it should have been simple, but of course, I over estimated my skills and went with something much harder than I should have, nevertheless, I will see it to it's completion!

the placing of "incidental" objects is time consuming and sometimes even frustrating

Very much so, lamp posts, street signs, bins, bushes (to help cover or break up sometimes horrible but for various reasons, unchangeable sections of terrain), mailboxes... the list goes on and on, by far mmy least favourite things right now are laying down sidewalk, fences, and tweaking trees.

so, I suppose I should get on with this 'list' I've now built up, here goes, also, please keep in mind that I am trying to re-imagine each object with a slightly less than subtle soviet feel...

Löwenbrücke - road bridge...

Marienbrücke – picture to follow…

Kettenbrücke – picture to follow, nothing found on google search....

Heinrichsbrücke – picture to follow

Altes Rathaus – complex bridge system and buildings

Altenburg - sits atop Altenburg, overlooking the city and coutryside to the south.

Hauptbahnhof - the cities' main rail station

Kaiserdom – this literally dominates the Bamberg skyline from most angles, and would be great to have included it sits on Domplatz opposite the new residences and rose garden, slightly above the city making for an amazing viewpoint…

Rosengarten/Residenz (in sections?) - I’m sure this would have to be a non enterable building, and would probably best be constructed from sections, the road you can see in the right hand section of this image runs down the front of the residence (downhill) to join the rest of the road system (complicated) and would have to be part of the model (maybe another section?) the rosegarden sits behind the residence, with the outer wall dropping down to the lower level and road providing a lookout

Stephanskirche - only a small picture but I will get more pictures for this... a church with a house on the top! It was used for some city official to live and act as lookout for fires, floods, attacking hoards… and potentially a great sniper position…

Michaelsberg Abby - another dominatiing building in bamberg...

Obstmarkt - a little, sub central point in bamberg, I would like to try and recreate this little area with some accuracy in temrs of the ground and features, the buildings will be another situation alltogether. I'll take some photos and post them up...

Statues/pretty stuff:-

David’s head - Searching the term “Sculptur Bamberg†will bring up pictures.

I see this as great potential to recreate something cool, not Lenin! Too obvious, maybe some older Russian legendary figure or something? Who knows… but in a similar style.

Cranes - Can just be an almost straight copy, or slight reimagination, maybe more covered to hide intricate parts… these cranes sit on a small section, a promenade almost, and used to be used to load/unload boats and shit.

so this is as much as I can put up today, there is maybe more, other things, there is an underground car park in the centre of town i want to include but am currently deciding how to deal with it (drop the terrain and have the 'roof' of the model as the false floor maybe) plus various other statues, signs... but this gives you an idea of what direction I'm going in, all-be-it a very ambitious one.

All of this seems very involved and could quite possibly put people off, remember this is not a list of what I want 'other people' to do, it is my list of things I need to get done one way or another, IF people want to help, I can provide the details such as overall span of bridges, width, heights etc... and I would also hand over the current terrain for testing and suchlike too...

I'm tired after that!

D

Hi Daringd,

Amazing and inspirational mate..!

I am following your dev process with great interest, as you provide answers to questions that would be hard to find elsewhere.

Little things like the mention of traintracks not suited for gradients, or the width of road placements isnt exactly flush with the actual road etc... Great stuff..!

I will refer back to your findings again and again in my own development- and it's very much appreciated.

Keep at it mate, you're doing great.

Marc

OK... so after a little wee while I have spent some time messing around with an idea.

also, I want to address a few things that a few of you have PMed to ask or point out.

1. The Russian names of a few of my towns were a little less than accurate translations of what I wanted. I have now had one of my Russian friends go to work on this for me and do some proper translation/augmenting of the names, so now my list of towns, and town names will all be nice and correct.

2. I have not applied it to the map yet, but I have got a newer sat map with the 'blue/green' grass taken care of!

3. I am looking at using some of Mondkalb's cool buildings, it's just a case of finding a device to get them to work on a Russian island (in terms of not fitting the style) I was even toying with having a town called something like "Germantown" but not so obvious, modelled on a modern German town (there is exactly such a town in China, though it is virtually empty since it doesn't appeal to the Chinese taste).

4.I have some more pictures of some of the assets i want to create but didn't have pictures of... whoever is interested.

So, here are a few pictures of the new area I have been working on, it's basically an old vilage that has begun to subside, sink and become something of a swamp/bog. you can't tell in the pictures, but I'm having some trouble with the water objects sometimes glitching and sort of dissapearing, if anyone knows of a decent 'snappable' water object or a nice big water object, let me know!

daringunnamedWIP11_zps3fdfb3b9.jpg

daringunnamedWIP12_zpse816e980.jpg

daringunnamedWIP13_zps8fd92b66.jpg

I'm thinking of taking the big metal warehouse out and replacing it with something that looks it has fallen victim to subsidence, bent and a little twisted, if you get me, this looks cool but I can't help feeling there would be more than just a tilt to a sinking building.

D

In CLAfghan by Minimalaco and Robster there is a pbo called colum vertical pond. It does a pretty good job and I think it's what you're after.

@daringD- Are you using 50m x 50m pond objects? If that is the case I recommend dropping down to the 25m ones. The 50m x 50m ones tend to have an issue where they disappear and reappear.

@ Jakerod - I'm useing the BIS object "zr_dam_04_ep1" which is 42.8 x 40.2, so I thought it would work fine, but not... plus I'm having trouble with one of the tilted buildings dissapearing while you are inside it too, which is a bit weird, but I'm not too worried about that since I'm almost convinced I'll get rid of it anyway. I'm looking for the objects that make up the pobeda dam in the north of chernarus, maybe thet has some smaller squares I could use too. I was worried about using the 50x50 (if it is the same one I discussed with Bushlurker) pond, because ARMA doesn't see it as water so it looks cool, but there is no sound or swimming action, which is a bit annoying.

D

OK... so it's been ages without any updates, I've had a lot of stuff to do for work and life in general, but I'm hoping to skip back in the next couple of weeks with renewed enthusiasm! as soon as I have more, you'll know...

D out

No rush, great looking map so far, I'll always wait for the better things in life..:)

So,

another update, some pictures of the new area I've been working on. in the North West of the island is a hook of land that goes out to sea, and I wanted it to be a sort of old industial area that will have been left mostly unused, in disrepair and/or being demolished. In my youth I spent many an hour in exactly these kind of areas in and around my home town of Birmingham, always excited about the potential for an amazing movie scene, gunfight or... action. so I thought why not add this kind of area. so far I have the main body of it in, buildings, fences, rubble.. etc... next I'll want to add in other goodies, too, trash, barrels, you know the kind of stuff I mean... waste land filler.

Anyway, I hope the pictures do the area justice.

DIA01_zpscb229142.jpg

DIA02_zps17b2f535.jpg

DIA03_zpsaeb0951e.jpg

DIA04_zps33c0876e.jpg

DIA05_zpsdccf468b.jpg

DIA06_zpsc4de56ee.jpg

DIA07_zpsc092ee10.jpg

DIA08_zps9793d6f3.jpg

DIA09_zps7bcc6b2d.jpg

D

Wow that industrial area looks bad asss! I envy your patience as allways d nice job!

This looks amazing!