Sign in to follow this  
porte

tips and tricks for making missions

So, I've had arma 2 OA for a few weeks now, and I've gotten a fair hang of it i'd say. The community has helped a lot, and I've enjoyed using the mission editor, but there is just so much to it, and I'm probably not the only one who feels daunted at the task of making missions. So, my question to the more experienced player, now that i've gotten a grip on gameplay and mission making, what tips and ways of making missions better have any of you picked up. Most of my missions include sending a squad to this area, where a enemy is waiting. Sometimes i'll place a few enemy tanks and have a allied A-10 jet, or allied tanks. But most of my missions are vary simple.

Like, how do you make your missions seem more lively. Make missions seem... more "filling" and "realistic" (not sure if those would be the right words). Basically, could any of you give me some hints and tips on making missions better, from your experience.

thanks again.

A good way to make missions better is to try other peoples missions, open them up in the editor, and see how they did it, or even just play them and get ideas.

Also use scripts, look at the types of scripts available and they will give you added features/functionality to your missions.

I suggest learning how to do briefings, tasks.

I've always enjoyed using the !alive command, many things you can do with it.

thanks, but there's a lot of scripts. Any that you think is a "must have" for making a mission? if there are any "must haves"?

Must have, yes:

Delete Dead bodies and destroyed vehicles script

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?124600-delete-dead-vehicles&p=2016996#post2016996

If you play large missions you built with lots of AI, this will keep the lag to a min

Simple Vehicle Respawn

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6080&highlight=SIMPLE+VEHICLE+RESPAWN+SCRIPT

very useful for spawning vehicles, planes, ect,.

Air Support

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8337

All depends on what you want to do in a mission, I just suggest looking at the scripts and get ideas for missions, and then

implementing the scripts based on your ideas.

Must have is dependent on what and how you like to play.

Wow, where to start..

Well you are in the best place in A2 and that’s the ‘Editor’, doesn’t get any better than that.

Have a purpose to your missions i.e. game world, then things will get much more interesting.

What type of thing do you want out of the game, is the only thing I can think to ask you, there’s so much you can do with the ‘Editor’, other players can only really answer if you can expand more on your OP.:)

Wow, where to start..

Where you need to start is by aquiring Mr.Murray's editing guide... Period. When typing a statement/condition in the editor, you can press F1 when you see a tooltip & it will show you an example of the code. Also, here's a list of scripting commands (once familiar with MM's guide). You'll want to frequent the scripting & editing forums here aswell.

Mission editing questions belong in the editing section, I would start with reading through and posting in the right forum section.

** topic moved.