Sign in to follow this  
noob

Arma or OFP Dragon rising on my machine?

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and would like to ask some advice about arma. Long story short, I loved OFP, even though I found it extremely difficult (never got past

mission 10 on the red hammer campaign), so now that I have a new laptop, i thought about getting Arma. I've downloaded Arma II and Arma II OA demos, and

only Arma II OA could run decently on my computer.

Arma II cannot render graphics correctly (has black polygonic trees and grass)

Arma II OA, runs on relatively normal settings (no antialising, high texture, highest resolution, 1700m viewing distance, normal terrain detail and object detail)

at 37 fps average. In short, it's not mind blowing but definitely playable.

I'm using a thinkpad with an integrated Intel HD 4000 graphics (:p, i know i'm going to get some derisive comments...), 4GB RAM, and i5 processor.

On the other hand, OFP dragon rising demo runs great (very smooth gameplay, no glitches at all), but it feels very arcady, and the AI is immensely stupid.

In short it doesn't feel like the original OFP at all.

So in your opinion, with such a sucky machine as mine, should i get Arma combined operations? or OFP DR?

Thank you.

PS: BTW, i don't know why people keep telling me my laptop sucks for gaming, i've been able to play crysis relatively smoothly...?

Hi and welcome to the forum!

if you get 37 fps, thats already a good value!

I played OFP DR once, and I had no fun at all. Also you have to mention, that it gets no attention anymore by anyone I think.

I don't know if there are any mods for OFP DR, but for ArmA2 OA (better having CO) there are tons of mods, and it gets still updated.

On the other hand you have to know that you are asking a question about buying the Product we all are fanboys of here in the forum, or the opponents product.

Hi there and welcome to the forum

everything which is related to questions if you can run ArmA CO on your rig should be posted here to avoid cluttering the forum. There you will receive most probably advice if you can run it or not.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?72181-Will-my-PC-Run-this-What-CPU-GPU-to-get-What-settings-System-Specifications

Concerning which game to chose that depends on what you are striving for. If you seek a similar game play as the old OFP then you should definitely go for ArmA which is the successor of the OFP series. Same developer.

DR is a dead game and their forum at Codemaster as well. CM had the rights to use the franchise name but it has nothing to do with the original OFP. Never had.

So if you seek for a game as the original OFP than get Arma Combined operations. I don't recommend to you to get DR as it was a complete failure in every sense. No modding . . . no support it was just a cash grab and now it's dead.

Dragon Rising was made for consoles so of course it runs good on a computer.

Dragon Rising was made for consoles so of course it runs good on a computer.

I wish it was true but many console ports run like crap on PC.

As for OP's question maybe you should get ArmA: Armed Assault, it should run better than Arma2 on your computer and is still way better than Dragon Rising.

Edited by dunedain

DR feels to arcade IMO. I remember that I was really hyped for this game back in the days, but I abandoned it after they demonstrated how to kill enemies with the help of red exploding barrels on a E3 demonstration for the Hollywood effects. I had the game pre-ordered, but I never opnened it after reading the reviews. Stupid AI, disappearing bodies +++.. Crap game. It was not made by BIS.

Will A2:OA run on your PC? Well, the demo does obviously, so why not?

Should you get DR? Why the hell would you ask such a question on the BI Forums.

For recommendations about PC specs and ingame settings, there are (stickied) threads for it.

-Closed, and don't ask why.-