Sign in to follow this  
PAR4No1D

ARMA 3 - still unrealistic optics

Hello,

Since ARMA 2 came out I really loved it and there was i think only 1 thing I didn't like - optics. Why nothing has been done to it? Holographic sights are non-diffrent from iron sights. It's just a red dot/circle whatever on a glass.

Magnified optics like ACOGs or rifle scopes can be done better too... you should look at Red Orchestra 2 - they have done rifle scopes REALLY good http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/127126201-4.jpg

Bohemia I hope you can do something with this, you are my favourite company and I absolutely love arma franchise and I hope that such a major things will be done better :)

Cheers

If you mean the part outside the scope not being zoomed, that wont happen because it requires rendering the scene twice, basically 2x resource requirement during aiming.

Numbro uno: The game isn't finished.

Numbro dos: with RTT this is possible.

Are people sure he is necessarily referring to the zooming aspect,

OP you should clarify.

Or maybe he's referring to the fact that holographic sights right now have a blue tint to the glass that obscures detail.

Well, an optional transparency for the holographic sights would be a cheap but nice solution.

And anything would be better than the "hole on a cardboard" for optics; RO style, BF2's PR or ACE's.

Red Orchestra did sights the best. The sniper optic has realistic 3d sights.

Are people sure he is necessarily referring to the zooming aspect,

OP you should clarify.

I'm talking generally about how bad optic peripherals are done. Holo sight is one example.

In real life holographic sight feels like the crosshair is projected on the target and when you move your head crosshair stays in same position - it's still aimed on target! I was trying find something in internet for you to imagine - watch this.

, in Arma it's just a red crosshair inside a "box".

The second example is rifle scope. Compare this https://dev-heaven.net/attachments/4925/scrn2-optics.JPG to this http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/127126201-4.jpg

The fact is that such a scopes were even in Red Orchestra 1, a game from 2006 - ARMA 3 is going to be 2013 game, maybe even 2014.

Numbro uno: The game isn't finished.

Thank you captain obvious.

Last time I saw a infantry clip from ARMA3 nothing has changed to scopes, and I don't think something will until they announce so...

Edited by PAR4No1D

Like I said, with RTT it's possible, so chances are it will be done either in vanilla or via mod.

I just found something

See? It can be done... what we need is just BI wanting to do this

you know, that thing is kinda the same as aimpoint(red dot) scope kind of scoping, meaning technically it's not RTT, just transparency/masking effect. The center where the scope is will be fully transparent, and the rest is blurred/masked.

But if you like it that way, then okay, it is a nice effect I admit

PAR4No1D are you ready for your PC running the game at 5 fps tops? Then yes it can be done.

Please don't compare quite dated graphics of RO2 with non-existent viewdistance to ArmA3. There's a reason BIS had to lower render-to-texture framerate for screens inside cars to what seems to be 2 fps. And for optics it would mean same FPS as the game (otherwise you won't hit anything) which is impossible with the current hardware.

EDIT: nvm wrong thread.

Edited by Slatts

PAR4No1D are you ready for your PC running the game at 5 fps tops? Then yes it can be done.

Please don't compare quite dated graphics of RO2 with non-existent viewdistance to ArmA3. There's a reason BIS had to lower render-to-texture framerate for screens inside cars to what seems to be 2 fps. And for optics it would mean same FPS as the game (otherwise you won't hit anything) which is impossible with the current hardware.

Actually yes I would prefer.

Last time I saw a infantry clip from ARMA3 nothing has changed to scopes, and I don't think something will until they announce so...
Yeah, pretty much; the creative director Jay Crowe (RoyaltyinExile on these forums) I believe has already weighed in on the subject months ago when asked about the lack of RTT scopes, and the disparity between hypothetical RTT optics versus existing RTT implementations (such as the vehicle dashboard monitors) was already discussed... you could take that to mean that BI isn't trying hard enough by your standards or that BI doesn't care enough to change it, but this was already discussed months ago.
I have to admit I'd be willing to take a decent performance hit for this one as it would make holding a gun (and aiming) actually fun.
I'm not and I wouldn't be surprised if the devs feel the same way, considering that months ago "shedding the bad rep from Arma 2" was an active developer priority. Edited by Chortles

Would it really be THAT expensive though? Im not trying to be facetious -I really just don't think so. I have to admit I'd be willing to take a decent performance hit for this one as it would make holding a gun (and aiming) actually fun. Right now using and listening to my gun (via JSRS) is fun but not actually holding and aiming -this is just one of those personal immersion boosters that would go a long way imho.

99% of the time you're holding a gun, thus its a major part of the gameplay. I would seriously not mind having the capability to change the render to texture framerate as I have a amazing pc.

Why can't they make a scripting command to change RTT framerate?

I just found something

Thats not the same thing as in RO, here the whole screen is zoomed. Anyway its very nice.

It's just trickery with title resources and post-process effects. I would love to see RTT scopes implemented though.

Question for those in the know: Does RTT have to render both the images with the same LOD? Could you render the scope view in 'full detail' and use a lowered setting for the unmagnified background (and then blur it slightly to cover up the lowered details)? Hypothetically speaking of course.

Would it really be THAT expensive though? Im not trying to be facetious -I really just don't think so. I have to admit I'd be willing to take a decent performance hit for this one as it would make holding a gun (and aiming) actually fun. Right now using and listening to my gun (via JSRS) is fun but not actually holding and aiming -this is just one of those personal immersion boosters that would go a long way imho.

It will be the same as rendering everything twice. It's like another camera in the scene which also needs to generate texture at the same fps and with no downscaling.

ArmA3 already runs at quadcore i5 and gtx570 (you can call that 660) at 20-25 fps with only 3 km viewdistance (that's how it was at Gamescom, maybe there will be improvement, maybe not). And RenderToTexture has a quite notable performance impact in Take On but then again it's not 1:1 resolution and framerate.

Thats not the same thing as in RO, here the whole screen is zoomed. Anyway its very nice.

It's not the same but it immitates the effect really good and thaths the point. If you guys say that it cannot be done by RTT atm, then it should be somehow smartly immitated.

It's not the same but it immitates the effect really good and thaths the point. If you guys say that it cannot be done by RTT atm, then it should be somehow smartly immitated.
This. It is also very nice imitated in Design mastery M4 variants mod.