Since the framework of infantry combat is already in place as demonstrated by the campaign, and the enemy has infantry on some islands for defense, how easy would an infantry mod be to make? for instance, A walrus could have an module that makes it into an armored personnel carrier. Would there be any interest in this?

Definitely! Walrus pod loaded with 4 or 5 droids, choose from assault, tactial, or devastator ;)

I've been asking for this since beta ;)

This would be cool - which makes use of the "first person shooter "portion of the game (yes - it wasnt received too well , but it is there and can add an extra dimension to the game).

The question though would be - what would be the use for these infantry? Walruses and Mantas can take on all targets, and Walruses do the hacking and building of command centres - so what would the infantry be needed for?

I could see using infantry to maybe capture buildings along the way to the command centre - maybe making them needed to capture the ammo dumps and fuel stations for use by your walruses (instead of it being automatically available as they are now).

Capturing Helipads and Walrus garages could give you an option to launch those vehicles (still keep maximum 4) from those locations instead of the carrier - but that would be some heavy script changes.

jureidinim - I doubt it will be that involved. More like just the ability to throw out some troops from your walrus so that you can take out the enemy with your troops, thus saving your walrus from having to go headlong into the fight.

Wishful thinking? :-)

I could see them being useful in swarming a base turret or AA turret. Would have to up their firepower a bit though.

The problem I see with this mod would be the inability to switch between individual infantry units, as there are no number selections for the troops, having to click on the map to change which unit you want would be kind of clunky. I suppose there would be a way round this, but thinking about it, I can't see it at the moment.

The problem I see with this mod would be the inability to switch between individual infantry units, as there are no number selections for the troops, having to click on the map to change which unit you want would be kind of clunky. I suppose there would be a way round this, but thinking about it, I can't see it at the moment.

If infantry units will be divided in "squands" (one for transporter) the player will be the squad commander and the squad will follow him and attack his targets, at the death of the squad commander the player control switch to another unit in the squad that will take the role of squad commander.

The squad will be deployed by an unarmed walrus (with an apposite infantry module) and this one, once deployed a squad, will reamain in place waiting the squad return inside.

The squad, once deployed, will be selected by the relative Warlus trasport button.

Infantry will be the only unit able to execute hack missions and, as drones, will be less individuable than warlus and more resistent when in cover.

Yep

You all are forgetting something, we have a gui editor now.

So.....

We can add more buttons for each squad.

The only problem I see is that if your going to be using the campain hacking misions, then you need to be able to let us switch back to the carrier for when it comes under attack (and to manage the other units). In the standard campain, you could not switch.

The easiest way to do this mod without too much hassle, would be to make troops a capsule you add to the walrus. Each capsule would hold 6 robots. The walrus could deploy one robot at a time, if one dies it switches back to the walrus, and you can deploy another or drive away. While the robot is deployed you have no control over your walrus, and clicking on its icon brings you to your robot. You can make your robot get back in the walrus at any time, and at this point you regain control of the walrus.

If you want to bunch units, make it so that 3 troops are deployed at a time, when the main one dies it switches to the next as they follow the first, everything else works like i said prior.

This is all just suggestions, as I have no intention of making this mod. I'm waiting for access to the weapons statistics etc. I want to make a Wire-Guided Missile.

Maybe have a new type of island capture specific to infantry that requires you to send infantry into an internal cave network where vehicles can't go. So you would have to play in fps mode vs droids like in the campaign to capture the island. You could equip a walrus as an apc to carry your squad to the cave entrance and then deploy them -the game could then load into an fps map of the cave. I'm not sure if that would be possible and it would be a lot to make. Using infantry outside they would be very weak vs turrets and vehicles so I'm not sure how that would play out. Maybe you could have a recon squad that you could sneak around the island using a target designator with lots of zoom to lock targets for your missiles and tomahawks or something, that would be pretty cool.

I was thinking pretty much an amalgamation of the above posts :) Only problem is i cant get the workbench to open, and no one has replied to my troubleshooting thread to help me out...

I was thinking pretty much an amalgamation of the above posts :) Only problem is i cant get the workbench to open, and no one has replied to my troubleshooting thread to help me out...

Hi Jit93,

To get the workbench working you need to unpack the 1.06.0011 version of the game, it won't work with 1.07.0023 or 0025, I found this out the hard way, but I eventually got it working nicely, you also need to edit the ccsettings.xml file in the CarrierCommand folder in My Documents folder and place a new path directory line pointing to your unpacked directory, this MUST be placed just below the line where it says <filesystem> ... wordpad in windows will edit it just fine.

e.g

<filesystem>

<path directory="E:\your folder here" /> ..... note the space before the forward slash.

Edit the files and scripts you want to change and copy them into your active mod folder.

Also remove this new path directory line before playing the game, and then put it back again for editing with workbench, I keep two ccsettings.xml files elsewhere and just copy each one in as needed.

To edit the latest island maps I unpacked version 1.07.0025 and copied the latest .ent files of the islands into the unpacked worlds folder in version 1.06.0011

I know it's over two years late ... but hey ... better late than never.

Edited by solrac42