Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Advanced Flight Model based on HTR

Advanced Flight Model based on HTR

Hi,
    I am Fred from www.hovercontrol.com, I am the coder behind Helicopter Total Realism (HTR) an FSX physics add on for helicopters tested and used by several real pilots.

I am releasing modified flight dynamics files based on HTR parameter calculations and adapted to Rotorlib.

Here's my first release for the "light" helicopter based on the FSX MD Helicopter. I mostly worked on the moments of inertia and rotor reaction, I also tried to change the velocity envelope parameters, those are currently commented in the XML files, but you can check those too by uncommenting by DragDueToAoA part and commenting the default one...

just unzip to your TKOH root directory, it will update/add files under your Hsim folder (maybe back it up before unzipping my files)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7457035/Fred_HSim1.zip

I plan to add medium and heavy in the next few weeks.
    EDIT
    Here's the link to the medium profile, see page 2 of this post for detailed info
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7457035/HSimMedium.zip
    if you downladed this before february 3rd, redownload the updated version, the old version is still there as an "old" file

Unfortunately there's no way to change some beaviours like translational lift, vortex ring state, translating tendency, retreating blade stall, blowback, tail rotor stall etc... but I believe the "pleasure to fly" and realism is really improved...

Let me know what you think

Bye
    Fred
    Last edited by fred64; Feb 3 2013 at 10:49.

Great Fred!!! I can't wait to test this!!!

I will update with feedback when I have a chance to fly the new model.

EDIT:

Wow! For the first time since I installed TOH, I actually have command of my helicopter. The cyclic is light and responsive. I am able to control slow speed maneuvers with authority.

It seems as though I don't need to pull as much pitch as I thought I would need to achieve lift off, but it may be due to load out. The feedback feels correct, I slowly add left pedal as I bring the collective up, you can sense getting light on the skids, add a touch of forward left cyclic, and....amazing! Lift off into a stable, controllable IGE hover. Translational lift, as you mentioned is absent, I was not able to gain lift by increasing forward speed past ETL without an increase in collective pitch. However, tail rotor effectiveness/efficiency seems more correct. I was able to relax left pedal input past 40 knts IAS and have neutral pedals at cruise. Heavy flaring for quick stops required large amounts of right pedal as you would expect.

Keep it up Fred!!!
    This is by far the best flight experience yet with TOH!!!
    Last edited by zentaos; Jan 22 2013 at 01:18.

BLOODY HELL! Need to reinstal TOH ASAP!

"They came in low and hot, close to the trees and dropped their tail in a flare, rocked forward and we raced for the open doorways (...)"
    Mike Ryerson: The Man in the Doorway

I can't wait to try this! How exactly do I install it though? I don't see a HSim folder in my main directory?
    OS Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Intel Core i7 3930k 3.20 Ghz
    16GB DDR3 RAM
    ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB

Sounds great Fred! Will try it soon.
    R22 pilot
    SYSSpecs: IntelC2Q9650|AsusP5QSE|4GB RAM|ZOTAC GX570|Win7 64bit|TrackIR5|TM HOTAS Warthog (04671)/Saitek Pro Pedals

Lance Corporal
    Author of the Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by delta9857 View Post
    I can't wait to try this! How exactly do I install it though? I don't see a HSim folder in my main directory?
    I believe It was already there in my installation, try unzipping to the main folder, the directory will be created

I'm excited to try this out, but is it easily reversible if I want to play it vanilla again?
    Intel i5-750 @ 4.0 GHz
    EVGA NVIDIA GTX 480
    4GB DDR3 RAM
    GA-P55-UD4p6
    1 TB Seagate HDD @ 7200
    120gb crucial ssd
    Saitek X52 pro joystick/throttle/rudder pedals
    Track-IR

Lance Corporal
    Author of the Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by nephros View Post
    I'm excited to try this out, but is it easily reversible if I want to play it vanilla again?
    Just rename the .xml file in hsim// to .old or cancel it...

Awesome. Thank you for doing this!

Just installed it and WOW! like Zentaos said, I now have much more control over my chopper and the cyclic feels much more responsive. Keep up the good work

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast