h34dup

[SP/CAMP/CO] Real-World Operations (RWO)

http://i.imgur.com/jfrjl.png (109 kB)

OVERVIEW

Real-World Operations (RWO) is a new initiative which focuses on rendering missions in Arma 2 inspired by military operations taking place in the real world. The idea is to use reports on real conflicts as a basis for creating scenarios or even Campaigns that explore these conflicts in Arma 2. While the missions are not 100%-accurate renditions of the situation on the ground, they are intended to generate interest among players in learning more about the real events and to honor the sacrifices made by the people of our respective armed forces. Most releases are accompanied by the news articles that inspired them. RWO releases will be standalone, with different sets of addon requirements, created by different editors. Conflicts and operations of interest are separated by region much like a news agency, with different regions such as the Middle East, Africa, and Asia falling under their own "bureau" (which will eventually be headed up by an editor with experience in the area). With the veritable galaxy of free addons available for Arma 2, the possibilities are vast and exciting.

POTENTIAL STORIES TO BE EXPLORED (to be updated)

Middle-East Bureau:

• Afghanistan - OEF - Wikipedia List of Combat Operations in OEF-A, Operation Helmand Viper
  • Pakistan - War on Terror and CIA Campaign, Indian/Paki Jammu/Kashmir Conflict
  • Yemen - CIA Campaign against AQAP
  • Iraq - OIF, post-withdrawal counter-insurgency
  • Iran - Clandestine operations
  • Syria - Syrian Civil War against al-Assad
  • Israel - Israeli/Palestinian Conflict, Gaza War

Africa Bureau:

• Mali - French/NATO incursion against Islamist fundamentalists
  • Somalia - Campaign against al-Shabaab, anti-piracy operations
  • South Sudan - Darfur Conflict
  • Congo - M23 Rebellion, Lords Resistance Army (LRA), The Kony Hunt
  • Libya - Libyan Civil War against Ghadafi

Asia/S. Pacific Bureau:

• Senkaku/Diaoyu Island - PLA vs. JSDF
  • China - Domestic disputes, War on Terror-related Ops
  • Korean Peninsula - Tensions between North and South Korea
  • Philippines - War on Terror against Abu-Sayyaf/Moro-Islamic Liberation Front
  • Burma - Ongoing internal conflict
  • Cambodia - Cambodia/Thai border dispute, drug war
  • Vietnam - UNSUNG is approved for RWO Vietnam missions

Europe Bureau:

• South Ossetia - 2008 Russian Incursion and Counter-Terrorism efforts
  • Chechnya - Chechnyan Conflict
  • Kosovo/Yugoslavia - Kosovo War
  • North Ireland - Dissident Irish/British Conflict
  • France - I44 mod is approved for RWO WWII missions

Americas Bureau:

• Colombia - Ongoing conflict with F.A.R.C.
  • Mexico - Mexican Drug War
  • Falklands/Malvinas - Falklands dispute between UK and Argentina

PLANNED RELEASES

- Afghanistan: Task Force 42 (by HeadUp and RCMW) a 5-mission campaign showcasing a range of UK SF units, including SAS, SBS, SRR, SFSG, and the shadowy SIS group known only as "The Increment." Planned for release as a lite version, and a separate addon-heavy version. Meticulously researched and modelled after numerous confirmed UKSF ops.

- Sierra Leone: Op. Barras (by RCMW) inspired by the 2000 clash between UK forces and local militia forces. More info to come.

- Vietnam: Vietnam Camp (by TexKaz, Kommiekat, and others) a collaborative campaign focusing on the Battle for Ia Drang Valley, includes a range of player perspectives, makes use of the final version of the UNSUNG mod. Possible ACE release TBC.

- Afghanistan: Angry Aussies (by Another123 & HeadUp) a single mission for Aliabad and the Australian SOTG units, inspired by the Shah Wali Kot offensive.

- Pakistan: Drone War (by HeadUp) a look at the evolution of the drone war in Pakistan's Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA), and (hopefully) the relationship between American CIA and Pakistani ISI in snapshots of 2004, 2009 and 2011.

- Iraq: SEAL Sniper (former working title was Chris Kyle) (by HeadUp) (inspired by the book American Sniper and the author's recent untimely death) insert into the insurgent-held city of Fallujah where you will provide sniper support before participating in a DA (direct action) against a pair of HVT's (high-value targets). ACE-version planned. Direct Chris Kyle references have been removed.

CURRENT MISSION RELEASES

2/16/2013 - Middle-East Bureau - Afghanistan - Op. Roadblock (v0.90) by HeadUp (inspired by Op. Surak Basta III) - US Army 101st Airborne, ANA 203 Corps, and ANP Border Police work to secure the border with Pakistan

2/25/2013 - Middle-East/Asia Bureau - Uzbekistan - Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan Campaign by Kommiekat (inspired by CT ops in Uzbekistan) - As operations against Taliban forces in Afghanistan and Pakistan have continued, military clashes with Islamist non-state armed groups have been recorded in mid-2009 in Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, and Kyrgyzstan

3/22/2013 - Asia Bureau - China/Eastern Turkistan - Eastern Turkistan Islamic Movement Mini-Campaign by Kommiekat (inspired by CT ops in Western China) - The East Turkestan Islamic Movement (ETIM) is a militant Muslim separatist group in Xinjiang province in northwest China. The U.S. State Department listed the ETIM as a terrorist organization in 2002 during a period of increased U.S.-Chinese cooperation on antiterrorism matters in the wake of the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001

4/5/2013 - Europe Bureau - Chechnya/Grozny - The Maykop Brigade by TexKaz (inspired by the New Years Assault, 1st Chechen War 1994-1995) - Takes place during the New Years Assault during the First Battle of Grozny during the First Chechen War. The Russians were expecting a swift victory to establish constitutional order in the small Caucuses Republic of Chechnya following the breakup of the USSR. However resistance was tougher than expected. The events of the First Battle of Grozny would set the stage for one of Russia's most profound military defeats and one of the most brutal wars of the Post-Cold War era. You are a conscript in the Maikop Brigade sent to take control of Grozny in a large multidirectional armored advance. Everything should go as planned...so it would seem

5/17/2013 - Asia Bureau - Laos, Burma, Thailand - The Golden Triangle (v1.0) by Kommiekat (inspired by true events) - The Mekong River massacre occurred in the morning of 5 October 2011, when two Chinese cargo ships were attacked on a stretch of the Mekong River in the lawless Golden Triangle area of Southeast Asia. All 13 crew members on the two ships were killed and dumped in the river. It is the deadliest attack on Chinese nationals abroad in modern times. In response China temporarily suspended shipping on the Mekong, and reached an agreement with Myanmar (Burma), Thailand, and Laos to jointly patrol the river

5/26/2013 - Asia Bureau - Vietnam - Op. Wayne Grey (UNS) (v1.0) by Nettrucker - A 4-mission campaign for the UNSUNG Vietnam War mod. The Story is based on real events that happened in the Plei Trap Valley in March 1969.

8/29/2013 - Africa Bureau - Congo - [sP/COOP 40] La Légion saute sur Kolwezi by Tigerforce - Portrayal of events depicted in the 1980 movie of the same name, parachute into volatile rebel-held territory, rescue foreign hostages, and liberate the city of Kolwezi.

9/29/2013 - Middle-East Bureau - Afghanistan - Codename Farrington by Mathias Eichinger a joint operation between German KSK and Afghan SOF and Police to capture a JPEL-listed Taliban financier alive.

10/7/2013 - Africa Bureau - Somalia - Gothic Serpent (RWO Version) by Wiki and Kommiekat Operation Gothic Serpent was a military operation conducted by United States special operations forces with the primary mission of capturing warlord Mohamed Farrah Aidid. The operation occurred in Somalia from August to October 1993 and was supervised by the Joint Special Operations Command (JSOC).

11/14/2013 - Asia Bureau - Vietnam - Battle for the Slopes (UNS) by Mathias Eichinger experience the perspective of an anonymous PAVN (NVA) soldier in the Battle for the Slopes around Dak To. As a tiny screw in the PAVN war machine, he has to help defend that hill from the invaders his political officer is talking all the time.

12/20/2013 - Europe Bureau - Czechoslovakia - Exercise Friendship 86 by Mathias_Eichinger - Fog has fallen in and makes aerial photo-recce flights unfeasible. For this reason a Czech People's Army (CSLA) recon team has to confirm several targets for follow-on airstrikes. A second mission places players in control of a tank, while a third mission places player in a Hind.

1/22/2014 - Africa Bureau - Guinea Foot Patrol: Fogo Na Floresta by cimalex - The main objective of the portugese Fuzileiros unit is to patrol and inspect of the forest in the vicinity of a plantation close a certain village attacked by the PAIGC.

r4llI.png

HOW TO GET INVOLVED WITH RWO

We are always looking for new members, especially intermediate-to-expert editors and addon-makers, but just about anyone is welcome to participate as a tester (provided we don't have too many testers and not enough editors). Ideal members are self-sufficient, patient, and willing to proactively solve their problems while improving their skills at the same time. We have a Google Group filled with resources, including the RWO mission-maker's checklist, and a place to share progress, elicit feedback, and complete private testing. If you're interested in joining up, send a PM to me (h34dup) with a Google Accounts-compatible email address (for access to the Google Group).

INPUT AND SUGGESTIONS WELCOME

Even if you are not directly involved with the creation of RWO releases, your input, ideas, suggestions, and concerns are all highly valuable. Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas here in this thread!

FORUM MINI-SIG LINK

[url="http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?144822-SP-CAMP-CO-Real-World-Operations-(RWO)"][img=http://i.imgur.com/yRGv6bM.jpg][/url]

Edited by h34dup

Sounds Interesting,

Are you going to be using maps already released to represent these theatre of conflict?

Or make your own?

you have my "Gothic Serpent" campaign - inspired by the Mogadishu events in 1993 - but in takes place in Fallujah (needed for urban combat)

Sounds Interesting,

Are you going to be using maps already released to represent these theatre of conflict?

Or make your own?

The plan is to utilize already-released addons made by the community. As nice as it would be to have the actual theatres represented as islands, many locales will have to be approximated using existing islands. This is one area where the RWO gaming experience will depart from the real news story. So for now, no plans on having exclusive addon content outside of the missions themselves.

you have my "Gothic Serpent" campaign - inspired by the Mogadishu events in 1993 - but in takes place in Fallujah (needed for urban combat)

Awesome, this is a perfect example of an already-released Op, that, if you wanted to, could be updated as a RWO release. We can work out what needs to be altered to achieve this if you want. I need to go ahead and give the Camp a play-thru myself, but having played many of your missions, I figure not much will need to be done outside of adding some RWO branding and perhaps revisiting Briefings.

EDIT: Depending, I may end up placing some kind of time limit as to how recent the Op was to be included-- say, for example, only within the last 5 years or 10 years.

Edited by h34dup

I think this great initiative.

Your categorisation seems robust and wide-ranging.

Your proposal to use existing maps, weapons and units is a sound idea.

I really hope that it motivates mission creators to use what's out there because I feel that there many great maps and mods that are under used, e.g. Duala.

I myself have a few missions (needing serious updating and checking, testing) related to real world conflicts (The Golden Triangle, The Senkaku/Diaoyu Conflict) and others that are related to plausible conflicts like the Wahkan Corridor neighboring Afghanistan/China. I just need help in ideas to expand these missions/Camps I made as well as editorial skills I lack.

With that being said, I can help out in other arenas of the world, but my "expertise" will be Asia with conflicts related to China and Japan.

There is one member, Sawkowski, pumping out North Korean missions. He is someone to get a hold of for this project.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?143816-MP-co6-Operation-Undershaft-My-First-Mission

Lastly, as I am primarily a SP player type person, would be nice to see the missions as CO and SP out of fairness for all players.

I would imagine going from SP to CO in the code is not that difficult ( I think :p ).

Cheers

There is also Carrier Operations by Rough Knight, which is based on Lybia 2011

I am thinking rather than repurposing entire campaigns which have already been out there in the community for a while, we should consider extracting specific missions that are especially appropriate, give them a comprehensive tune-up, and release them as something relatively new. Each release needs to have a link or two to real news stories or books to back them up-- doesn't need to be 100% fact-based, but it should include some of the real-world facts that inspired the mission. Perhaps we could paraphrase the articles in the briefing as its own section and/or as part of the release post/page.

As for KK's comment about being primarily an SP editor, I have also been exclusive to SP so far, but I'm hoping and thinking that there will be a knowledge exchange between editors working on this project regarding making SP and MP compatible versions-- an example of the kinds of ways we can help one another.

Each release needs to have a link or two to real news stories or books to back them up-- doesn't need to be 100% fact-based, but it should include some of the real-world facts that inspired the mission. Perhaps we could paraphrase the articles in the briefing as its own section and/or as part of the release post/page.

Not to be a brag, but my Golden Triangle Camp does just that in the Briefing with an http link to back up the story.

Links can be thrown in or direct quotes from the news source with links could/can be done.

I always planned to do a mission about Task Force Black in Iraq. (British SF and SFSG)

I'm going to start keeping a running tab of specific potential scenarios in the first post, which are open for anyone to take-on really, just a place to keep all ideas in one place. There are many solid examples out there, I simply use either the news, or Wikipedia as a starting point, then check into any relevant cited sources in the Wiki article, and of course anything turned up by Google. Before you know it, you'll have enough information to outline a mission.

This list of Combat Operations in Afghanistan has a lot of potential inspirations for missions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coalition_combat_operations_in_Afghanistan_in_2011

EDIT / UPDATE:

Found Op Surak Basta III (translates to "Road Block" in Dari), which fits the bill of the mod combo I wanted to try exactly. This should work as a great exercise in finding an op and rendering it in the editor.

[RWO] Op. Road Block

Required Addons:

US Army OCP Units

SGW's ANA/ANP

EXA RG-31 MRAPs

Aliabad Region

As a member of TF Currahee of the 101st AB Div., you are to rendezvous with the ANA 2nd Kandak, 2nd Bn, 203rd Corps, and ANP Border Patrol, Zone 2, where they have located a series of suspected illegal border crossings. You will infiltrate and assault three of these locations, and then provide cover for teams of American and Afghan engineers as they perform demolitions. You can assault the crossings in any order you want. Once the crossings are each clear, you will be tasked with clearing out a known Taliban rally point on the Afghan-side of the border to complete the mission. Under no circumstances my you cross the border into Pakistan, it will result in immediate mission failure.

Edited by h34dup

you can also add my "Six Days in Fallujah" campaign

you can also add my "Six Days in Fallujah" campaign

Cool, I would definitely like to get the Battle of Fallujah represented here-- is there any single mission that could be re-worked for RWO?

Someone neeeeeeds to get in on this Mali flashpoint -- as of now, news reports that French ground troops are about to engage in close combat with Militants!

I'm pretty excited about my own first exercise with creating an RWO mission with Op. Road Block! Should be a rather quick effort, nothing too over-the-top, but plenty of action.

I think this is good idea. I like realistic style missions way more than "run into this town and kill everyone".

Really excited about Op. Road Block so far, all the same level of detail you guys should come to expect from me. I think this has the potential to be one of the best and richest single scenarios from me to-date, assuming things go smoothly once I start to tie everything together-- right now, I'm just working on building some of the essential set pieces-- a hastily-constructed (painstakingly-edited) American staging area w/ two helipads, vehicles like HMMWV's and RG-31's parked (may let you choose your vehicle setup, anything from a single RG-31 to a small convoy), cargo stacks, etc. Also a make-shift TOC maintained by Afghan border police, where you will report in to receive your primary objectives.

I'm thinking I want to incorporate some area-related side-tasks that you receive when close to one area or another, like providing cover for another squad to clear a compound, or clearing a compound yourself. It's about making you really feel like a part of a MASSIVE (80km-stretch of border) undertaking. Maybe some screens soon!

Edited by h34dup

Definitely, I actually think we should be looking at Shapur for the refinery mission, and Duala for the French ground assault. I'm not entirely sure who the belligerents are in the refinery-- looks like the Algerian army has been the only BLUFOR involved so far, but other options (US, French or UK SOF) are on the table.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323468604578247332257278740.html

Also, we can use setFace to give some of the Militia units a darker, sub-Saharan complexion, which I think will add to the authenticity. I wonder if there's a way to write a function that would randomly do setFace on a certain group.

Edited by h34dup

just wait for OFrP 3.2, it should be out soon

Would this count as a real world operation or do you want to focus only on the "good guys".

Just a thought.

Regards shark attack

You know what would be good for that imo? That could be used as the first mission of a Camp.

Player is Terrorist in the first mission and has to take over the oil refinery and capture hostages.

Could even go into a 2nd mission as well with Terrorist fighting back the first wave of attacks from Bluefor.

Then 3rd mission could be player as French or Algerian forces doing that attack in the 2nd mission. Time flashback deal....

Just thinking off of your thinking...

You know what would be good for that imo? That could be used as the first mission of a Camp.

Player is Terrorist in the first mission and has to take over the oil refinery and capture hostages.

Could even go into a 2nd mission as well with Terrorist fighting back the first wave of attacks from Bluefor.

Then 3rd mission could be player as French or Algerian forces doing that attack in the 2nd mission. Time flashback deal....

Just thinking off of your thinking...

I feel like this is a very touchy subject... on one hand, this would be a new offering that few people have attempted (the airport scene from MW2 comes to mind)-- but in most cases, if you are playing as a terrorist, it is as a fictional group and against either Russia or some fictional foe, it certainly isn't based on some real event. While I'm not sure how much I agree with it, one could perceive such a mission as being tasteless, perhaps even a bit offensive or dangerous, to somehow glorify the actions of the enemy against our own countrymen-- with such a realistic game it could even be potentially construed as a training tool. This is something I have often pondered but never been comfortable with, regardless of how interesting an experience it could be to put on the shoes of an insurgent, plant an IED and blow a NATO convoy to smithereens, it sends the wrong message. And I'm not trying to be some uber-patriotic zealot who thinks we should only ever depict conflict with players in the shoes of one side, but part of this project is about honoring the sacrifices of the good guys.

So I guess what I'm saying is, I am not vehemently opposed to it, but I will not make and release something like that myself, nor would I be comfortable putting the RWO name on it, unless of course we include the response of BLUFOR.

What I'm trying to determine is what units would suffice as approximations of Algerian special forces...I'm thinking Tigeria is the best candidate, but even that seems a stretch to me. http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?114566-Algerian-Special-Forces

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?127649-Algerian-special-forces-Pictures

Edited by h34dup

Here is another article with a good bit of detail-- judging from the description of the facility, it sounds a whole lot like Shapur. It also lays out exactly how the attack took course, how the militants initially targeted a couple of buses, were driven away by the buses' military escort, and diverted their attack to the gas facility separating the refinery from the living quarters, while meanwhile, Algerian soldiers poured out of their nearby base and surrounded the facility.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/algeria-declares-operation-to-free-hostages-over-toll-remains-unclear/2013/01/17/268a34a6-610c-11e2-8f16-7b37a1341b04_story.html

I feel like this is a very touchy subject... on one hand, this would be a new offering that few people have attempted (the airport scene from MW2 comes to mind)-- but in most cases,

It doesn't need to go too far. The mission could be no longer than 5 or 10 minutes, used as an initial set-up of the Camp.

As Shark-attack said, "Storm the Gas/oil fields, nuetralize the on site security and round up the foreign oil workers.

Could either make an objective to transport the hostages out of the area or prepare defences ready for security forces counter attack."

In this scenario, not even a single shot from a weapon is necessary.

---------- Post added at 11:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 AM ----------

I can't find the post in this thread, but someone wanted a script to faces on units.

This was made by Twirly for me used in "The Golden Triangle" Camp I made.

Works like a charm!

By Twirly

/*Randonmized Asian faces and disabled conversation with groups.
*/

sleep 1;

_allunits  = allUnits;

_sides = [RESISTANCE];

for "_i" from 0 to (count _allunits)-1 do {
_unit = _allunits select _i;
if (side _unit in _sides) then {
	_num = 108 + (floor (random 17));
	_face = format ["Face%1_PMC",_num];
	_unit setFace _face;
               _unit disableConversation true;
};
sleep 0.01;
};

Good question, tho not many of us are on Skype, I know both KK and myself are on Gchat, are you on there?

I am thinking the Armee Tigerianne would be a closer rendition, though neither of them are really that close. Looks like their SF wears all OD with either a balaclava 3-hole ski mask, or a helmet that reminds me of some Spetsnaz FSB units if memory serves.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=15072

Downloading and playing around with them now...