Sign in to follow this  
Jakobsson87

Oculus Rift VR headset

If the Oculus Rift doesn't have the six degrees of tracking, why not combine it with the trackir for a better experience?

Oculus Rift will have 6dof tracking in the retail version (and probably if there will be a v2 kit, you'll find the 6dof there already), it's a matter of $15 and the board is ready to have a 6dof sensor installed, there won't be any reason of not installing it.

TrackIR is crap if used with the rift because it will highly limit your head movement, if you want to have a 6dof experience with the current devkit I suggest you to use a razer hydra and the modded opentrack driver.

It's June 22nd, we're moving to beta apparently, why there's no official words about the Oculus Rift native support?

To answer WalkerDown:

Some nice Oculus titbits from Jay at E3.

They do have a dev version and are trying to get some more, they aren't planning on full support at release.

It seems like they are definitely toying with using it in a serious fashion and hopefully will support it in the future.

Lets face it, A3 was made for it with free head movement already.

I think that's as official as it can gets

I've read that .. but I don't understand what it means, does it means that we wouldn't have *for sure* the OR support at release? If so .. this is a very sad news.

Did anyone manage to get the game running with Oculus using latest Vireio 2.0? I know it used to work with some older version of Vireio but I have no idea which one, plus the new version brings some cool new features regarding rendering and tracking. So, if anyone has got it working or has some tips on it, I'd appreciate it...

Looking forward to trying Arma 3 out on the OR DK2.

Only concerning thing is framerate since it can fluctuate for me personally between 60 and 30 in MP and OR needs a consistent frame rate to stop you blowing chunks.

Don't worry. Facebook has it all in hand! *cries.

Actually, Dslyecxi gave it a pretty bad review in terms of the ArmA series. He said there was a little input lag, the resolution isn't good enough, etc. He said it has spaces between the pixels which makes everything a little dark and sort of like looking though a screen door. I think once it gets better resolution it will be a much better choice, but for a game like Arma I wouldn't sacrifice graphical precision for VR. Especially because vanilla 3d sound isn't so good

just my 2 cents.

And from what I've read, Facebook isn't going to just take it for themselves and ruin it (3D farmville D: ), they are just funding/supporting the program, which I think is just what Oculus needs to take the next step forward.

Actually, Dslyecxi gave it a pretty bad review in terms of the ArmA series. He said there was a little input lag, the resolution isn't good enough, etc. He said it has spaces between the pixels which makes everything a little dark and sort of like looking though a screen door. I think once it gets better resolution it will be a much better choice, but for a game like Arma I wouldn't sacrifice graphical precision for VR. Especially because vanilla 3d sound isn't so good

just my 2 cents.

And from what I've read, Facebook isn't going to just take it for themselves and ruin it (3D farmville D: ), they are just funding/supporting the program, which I think is just what Oculus needs to take the next step forward.

That was with the DK1?

Having used a DK1 myself I can understand those concerns. The resolution was too low which makes things hard to see and has a distinct screen door effect and certain games made me feel a little queasy.

I can say though that until you actually try the thing you don't really appreciate how awesome it is and how you can immediately tell that this is the next big thing in gaming by a country mile.

The DK2 is higher resolution so things should be easier to make out, the screen door effect should be reduced (apparently you only notice it when looking for it according to hands on impressions) and the new low persistence and higher refresh rate (85hz) and lower input latency should make it less spew inducing.

My current concern is just with getting the game to run at a consistent high enough frame rate as lower frame rates have negative effects in VR beyond just not being as smooth as 60fps+.

Hopefully with enough tweaking, going on the right servers etc... I'll be able to run the game at a high enough frame rate that my lower frame rate (i.e. the frame rate the game drops to) will be high enough.

I currently run the game at 1440p with a lot of bells and whistles on so there is some hope that I'll be able to get it running well enough that it'll work OK on the rift.

Edited by KING5TON

DK1, being first gen, is bound to be of lower quality. Crystal Cove and the newest gen kit looks much better, with persistence sorted and lag reduced. So I'm not bothered about early reviews, what bothers me in FB's interest in it. It is the age old problem of a big company taking over a small one 'with good intentions' then rapes the technology and leaves. Hence my *cry.

That was with the DK1?

Having used a DK1 myself I can understand those concerns. The resolution was too low which makes things hard to see and has a distinct screen door effect and certain games made me feel a little queasy.

I can say though that until you actually try the thing you don't really appreciate how awesome it is and how you can immediately tell that this is the next big thing in gaming by a country mile.

The DK2 is higher resolution so things should be easier to make out, the screen door effect should be reduced (apparently you only notice it when looking for it according to hands on impressions) and the new low persistence and higher refresh rate (85hz) and lower input latency should make it less spew inducing.

My current concern is just with getting the game to run at a consistent high enough frame rate as lower frame rates have negative effects in VR beyond just not being as smooth as 60fps+.

Hopefully with enough tweaking, going on the right servers etc... I'll be able to run the game at a high enough frame rate that my lower frame rate (i.e. the frame rate the game drops to) will be high enough.

I currently run the game at 1440p with a lot of bells and whistles on so there is some hope that I'll be able to get it running well enough that it'll work OK on the rift.

@Kremator yes I certainly can understand your fears. But there's not much we can do about it now, just hope.

I would like to know what Dslyecxi has to say about the DK2. His review was pretty old (I assume before DK2), so perhaps it's made a big leap forward. Unfortunately I have no means of getting a chance to use one, so I just have to take other's word for it.

I would like to know what Dslyecxi has to say about the DK2. His review was pretty old (I assume before DK2), so perhaps it's made a big leap forward. Unfortunately I have no means of getting a chance to use one, so I just have to take other's word for it.

His review was from May 2013, but he recently commented on DK2:

I used it, yes. It's slightly better in resolution, but not enough to change my opinion. People hear "1080p" and think that it's going to match the kind of viewing situation you get from looking at your 1080p monitor from a few feet away, but that's not the case at all. It's more like a 1000x1000 image (since it has to have overlap to present the 3d effect - thus, you don't get the full 1920 of horizontal res), and you're taking that resolution and blowing it much larger in your FOV than you get from looking at a desktop monitor. It still feels overwhelmingly like you're looking at a magnified view of a screen, such that you're seeing the screen door effect as well as the different color components of each pixel.

When the screens are 4k or higher, it might start to become feasible for normal use. Right now, it's a niche usage. 1080p sounds great until you do the math for this particular kind of application. 

There was an article about Oculus Rift in Time magazine and the author reported the same screen door effect with DK2.

This thread.... anyone who thinks the OR isn't the future of gaming (including the Arma series) needs to unjam their head and start informing themselves. In fact, because it models head and body/gun movement separately, Arma 3 is well placed to become THE flagship FPS for the Rift...if the devs are willing.

For those with valid concerns over framerates (DK2 is confirmed @75hz, CV1 is rumoured @90hz), word is that Oculus will release proprietary software which interpolates frames for systems which can't keep up. Also, you can just turn the graphical quality down, as framerate is far more critical than pretty pictures to achieve presence.

Input will need some thought, but with a boatload of new haptic, motion tracked controllers in development, it's lazy logic to think we'll be stuck with mouse + WASD for much longer.

Edited by Mandrake

...it's lazy logic to think we'll be stuck with mouse + WASD for much longer.

When the tech is ready I'll check it out for sure, but it's sheer folly to believe everyone is going to want to strap a TV to their faces. Not to mention transitioning between sitting and standing in any game with combined arms (unless your gun controller has steering/rudder/HOTAS controls).

I worked with VR goggles/helmets in a JTAC simulator. From experience I can say its not very inconvienient to just use your hand to raise the set from your eyes to glance at your scratchboard/map/keyboard/etc.

This is definately going to be a big one.

Well i have been playing ARMA II with my Oculus rift for last 4 weeks now. I love flying choppers and with X52 is awesome.

Ok here is something info for the nay sayers.

Firstly, you do not have check your keyboard nonstop! you find you fingers go right place if you trust them. ocasionally you get lost but not had to find again.

Secondly this game is made of this, Having separate head and gun/body movement is perfect and works really well.

I think if developers enable support for Oculus rift it will be amazing game.

Right now i am using TriDef and its ok, though the frame lag from program does cause motion sickness, but flying choppers in this game is so much fun, and i can do things I just could never do on flat screen.

Amazing game for this!

---------- Post added at 22:46 ---------- Previous post was at 22:44 ----------

When the tech is ready I'll check it out for sure, but it's sheer folly to believe everyone is going to want to strap a TV to their faces. Not to mention transitioning between sitting and standing in any game with combined arms (unless your gun controller has steering/rudder/HOTAS controls).

Don't talk nonsense, VR is going be huge! and there are ways round the loosing keyboard...also There are guns with Sterring/rudder/HOTAS controls on kickstarter!

Don't talk nonsense, VR is going be huge!

Where did I say it wouldn't be?

...also There are guns with Sterring/rudder/HOTAS controls on kickstarter!

Do you even know what a HOTAS is?

Well i have been playing ARMA II with my Oculus rift for last 4 weeks now. I love flying choppers and with X52 is awesome.

Ok here is something info for the nay sayers.

Firstly, you do not have check your keyboard nonstop! you find you fingers go right place if you trust them. ocasionally you get lost but not had to find again.

Secondly this game is made of this, Having separate head and gun/body movement is perfect and works really well.

I think if developers enable support for Oculus rift it will be amazing game.

Right now i am using TriDef and its ok, though the frame lag from program does cause motion sickness, but flying choppers in this game is so much fun, and i can do things I just could never do on flat screen.

Amazing game for this!

---------- Post added at 22:46 ---------- Previous post was at 22:44 ----------

Don't talk nonsense, VR is going be huge! and there are ways round the loosing keyboard...also There are guns with Sterring/rudder/HOTAS controls on kickstarter!

many thanks, your feedback is very welcome! :)

Anyone here pre-ordered Development Kit 2? Also, have anyone catched any info/hints from BIS about native support for Oculus Rift? Native support would be a perfect fit for the helicopter DLC, hint, hint!

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

Problem with Oculus support is the need for a constant and reliable frame rate.

That's definitely the biggest problem, but a close second is probably the current display limitations.

I preordered DK2 and I am as excited to feel it as I am worried about fps.

Sent from mobile

Looking forward to your first impression nomisum and yes poor frame rate can probably be an issue. Regarding hints from BIS I bumped into this when digging around so eventually we will see native support in A3 as well or at least thats what I'm hoping for...

VR is the next logical step and I'm pretty sure OR and/or other VR hardware are here to stay this time thanks to advancement of small LCD/OLED screens. I tried VR briefly in the early 90's and adding depth to the equation is like getting one more sense!

Q: Will DayZ be Oculus Rift or TrackIR supported?’

A: Well I met the Oculus Rift guys at Pax West and tried it out and it was freaking awesome. They were big fans of DayZ and ArmA so we want to do everything we can to ensure that happens. However, ArmA and DayZ suffer from a very complex entity so achieving a locked frame rate at 60 FPS is very difficult because you can’t guarantee what is going to happen and you need that constant 60 FPS to make the Oculus Rift work. So the challenge isn’t to technically support it (because we already do support TrackIR), the challenge is optimizing the game.

You don’t want to optimize too early so we need to do all the innovation and then we do a lot of optimization so we will see how it goes, but we love it and having played with the Oculus Rift myself I can hands down say that it will make DayZ a thousand times better and that’s not an exaggeration. I don’t know how many people have tried the Oculus Rift but if you get the chance to then do it but like I say we are going to have to do a lot of optimization.

Source: http://oculusrift-blog.com/dayz-to-be-rift-compatible/650/

/KC

Edited by KeyCat