John Spartan

F/A 18 Super Hornet for Arma 2 OA

Version 2.0 by John_Spartan and Saul

FA18F_over_chernorus_2_zpse84f7303.jpgFA18F_over_chernorus_1_zps47f1c3ff.jpg
FA18F_over_chernorus_3_zpsa7f265fc.jpgFA18F_over_chernorus_4_zps99e9cd83.jpg
[F/A18 F over Chernarus, screenshots by Kanti_OM]

INTRODUCTION
The Boeing F/A-18E/F Super Hornet is a twin-engine carrier-based multirole fighter aircraft variant based on the McDonnell Douglas F/A-18 Hornet. The F/A-18E single-seat and F/A-18F tandem-seat variants are larger and more advanced derivatives of the F/A-18C and D Hornet. The Super Hornet has an internal 20 mm gun and can carry air-to-air missiles and air-to-surface weapons. Additional fuel can be carried in up to five external fuel tanks and the aircraft can be configured as an airborne tanker by adding an external air refuelling system.

PROLOGUE
ARMA and this community around this game has grown in last year’s since I have been following it, giving us so much interesting stuff and information to play this simulator in so many different ways. And finally I decided to do some contribution to community of my own.

For quite a while I have been working on F/A-18 add-on so it can be used in ARMA 2 CO. When I started to work on F/A-18 my main goal was to make look like the vanilla in game aircrafts, so they share the same ammo, look similarly textured when put next to each other and use/share same functions that ARMA offers. During last year I have found a friend and a talented 3D artist assisting me on this project, also Franze mentoring me thru the development process helped to shape this add-on to a stage where we are now.

So finally here we are with current version 2.0 for vanilla ARMA 2 CO and ACE 2 mod. We have rebuilt the add-on completely. Together we have created a brand new model and Saul has created amazing set of HD textures. New UI and full customization off this aircraft is built in. There are still a lot of things that need a lot of work but it’s already good enough to be used in game. Also since ARMA 3 is on the horizon, we would like to focus our next updates directly utilizing new game engine capabilities. ARMA 3 version is already in development as I am writing this manual, so please be patient on this matter.

THE ADDON
VERSIONS
This add-on represents real life F/A-18 E/F Super Hornet operators in various paint schemes/versions.

- ARMA NAVY GREY [F/A 18E and F/A 18F]
- VFA-14 "Tophatters" [F/A 18E, USN Pacific Fleet]
- VFA-41 "Black Aces" [F/A 18F, USN Pacific Fleet]
- VFA-27 "Royal Maces" [F/A 18E, USN Pacific Fleet]
- VFA-154 "Black Knights" [F/A 18F, USN Pacific Fleet]
- VFA-31 "Tomcatters" [F/A 18E, USN Atlantic Fleet]
- VFA-103 "Jolly Rogers" [F/A 18F, USN Atlantic Fleet]
- ARMA USMC GREY [F/A 18E and F/A 18F]
- VMFA-225 "Vikings" [F/A-18F, USMC]
- VMFA-232 "Red Devils" [F/A-18E, USMC]
- VFA-314 "Black Knights" [F/A-18E, USMC]
- ARMA RAAF GREY [F/A 18F, Royal Australian Air Force]

FEATURES
- New model for E/F versions
- HD textures, real life paint schemes in 23 versions
- Full control over aircrafts loadout with built in “Service menu†function
- User Interface to easily service aircraft
- Full realistic set of weapons models
- Afterburner
- Foldable wings
- Canopy animation
- Flares and radar warning system
- Fuselage vapour effects
- Fuel tanks/fuel drop sequence
- Aerial Refuelling from “buddy pod†of FA18F
- Master arms "SAFETY" feature
- Compatibility with ACE mod, GLT Missile box and upcoming Aerial refuelling Module by Feint
- GPS/INS system [only with GLT_MissileBox installed]
- Carrier landing and tail hook capability [with JDog’s USS Nimitz]
- Full user customization built in
- OPFOR counterpart - Gnat’s SU33D

PLEASE SEE FULL README FILE FOR DETAILED DESCRIPTIONS

CREDITS
ARMA 2 game engine: Bohemia Interactive
Project lead: John_Spartan
Author of original addon and concept: Franze
Brand new model: Saul and John_Spartan
HD textures: Saul
Afterburner script originally by: Lethal and Gnat
GUI dialog by: John_Spartan
Config and scripts by: John_Spartan
Advisers: Franze, Gnat, Vengeance1, Iceman77, Rock

Special thanks’ goes to Don Welch [AV8R] and TF BLACKJACK squad for help with MP/COOP testing, their advice on creating more realistic flight model and testing ACE version.

And of course all the community members for being so kind and posting valuable information/tutorials and solutions about how to mod this game.

END USER LICENCE AGREEMENT
DISCLAIMER
You are permitted to install and use this software for personal entertainment purposes only. This add-on is meant for ARMA 2 game platform by Bohemia Interactive only. Any commercial or military use is strictly forbidden without permission from the author.

This addon is released under:
Creative Commons Licence
Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs
cc_licence_logo_zps2fd557d7.png
for use in ARMA 2 OA version 1.62

FA18F_carrier_takeoff_1_zpsc66f24e7.jpg
[F/A18F carrier take-off, screenshot by Saul]

DOWNLOAD LINKS
 news_donwload_oa_4.png
DOWNLOAD FROM ARMAHOLIC
[thank's Foxhound, much apriciated]

Spartan out.

Edited by john_spartan
VERSION 2.0 RELEASED

I like it, well done. Cockpit looks nice and im ready for some new dogfights :fighting:

very nice model. nice to finally get an E model hornet as well. question, i saw screens for the high vis or "CAG" markings in the WIP thread. are those not included? the only thing i see in the readme is for the low vis markings.

edit: nevermind, i re-read the WIP thread, and it said first release will contain only low-vis. I really like that you have the Black Aces marking for the F and the Tophatters markings for the E. Pretty cool

Edited by islesfan186

The planes themselves look and function great. Currently trying to get all of my clan to download it for some good dogfights!

Congrats on the release, these are very well-done!

The AIM-120s don't seem to want to lock onto targets. Not sure if that's ACE causing an issue, however switching them out for GLT missiles works perfectly.

Some of your scripts are written in .sqs code, but are labeled as .sqf (the init scripts, the loadout scripts, the camo scripts, and the tailhook script). The PDF also says to call these scripts with 'exec,' which is only used for .sqs. 'execVM' should be used to call .sqf.

@Tholozor, yeah mate, i am aware that there are weapons lock glich with ACE mod, but till final release there is no plans for implementing optional ACE config. patiance and we will fix that.

Yes congrats on release! This is a great mod, the landing and takeoff from the Nimitz works great with your Hook Script!

Very Outstanding Addon I will definitly be using this often!

One thing I have noticed is that the second and third LODs needs to be a little more detailed IMO, specially since when on the Runway from a few meters away the Landing Gear disapears and the Aircraft seems to "Float" in the air!

Dave,

This is great. Will certainly add this to our community once ACE functionality is added dude! Congrats on release

@jumpnjack yeah moust of the big issues you lads mentioned have been fixed, now trying to deal with rest of them and get it polished for final version. Also had a chat with meatball he is updating his pilot so that will be a great addition to game aswell, we were thinking of including a custom texture posibility for helmets so users can customize them as they want. Some lads also suggested to relese some extra skins (like VFA real skins) in separete pbo for thouse who like more realism. I hope that by the end of this project comunity and especialy the mission makers will have more addons to create "TOP GUN" style missions.

Lads has anyone have a decent Intel on naval aviators (NAVY figter pilot’s) combat uniforms. What I am most interested is on which shoulder does the flag go, where and what squadron/unit patches are applied. Any feedback on this would help to create a bit realistic pilot texture.

Thank’s

The only thing I know for sure is that the flag is on the left sleeve. I would say google images would be a good start and just look at where the patches and everything go

thats what i thought, but there is a lot of info about their parade uniforms and squadrons itself but not that much covering combat uniforms, or in some of them the gear is covering patches so you cant actualy see them. If u find any good one drop me a link.

images_zps6d6559c5.jpg

Edited by John_Spartan

Well, that patch on the left breast is usually where your name tape goes. Normally it has your wings on it, then it says your name "John A. Smith", and then it has your rank "LtCdr" (or whatever you want) and then usually your branch of service "US Navy"....seems to be that way in most branches. My flight name tapes from when I was in the Army were like that:

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=MTV&sa=X&tbo=d&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1920&bih=936&tbm=isch&tbnid=3BU57z0KRoqfeM:&imgrefurl=http://www.classicjet.com/store/cart.php%3Fc%3D19%26m%3Dproduct_list&docid=97ioPxxi_5y9eM&imgurl=https://www.classicjet.com/store/secure/images/categories/703.jpg&w=180&h=94&ei=2OHxULv8CsXj0QGHlIHYAg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=1244&vpy=195&dur=1063&hovh=75&hovw=144&tx=127&ty=35&sig=100792080620574831853&page=1&tbnh=75&tbnw=144&start=0&ndsp=52&ved=1t:429,r:6,s:0,i:103

It may be different for the Navy. Can't say for sure

Also, it may be a little help, but you could watch Behind Enemy Lines with Owen Wilson, he was an F/A-18 WSO in the movie....though the patches could be different since it is hollywood after all.

There's also some documentaries on NetFlix that follows a combat deployment on one of the aircraft carriers....its bound to have scenes with F/A-18 pilots all geared up and pre-flighting their aircraft and whatnot

Edited by islesfan186

@islesfan186 - thank's mate, good idea to look for some footage in youtube or check out some of old classic movies (i have Behind Enemy Lines in my DVD collection, i'll just whatch now with different aproach).

The pic above is of a guy who has no idea how to wear the gear...and the gear isn't all correct, so don't go by that. One thing you'll want to look at for Super Bug pilots is the JHMCS helmet, which has a weird bump on the helmet where the visor goes in and the visor itself has the ability to display imagery in it. Here's a place to start: http://www.vsi-hmcs.com/index.php/jhmcs

You can find a ton of pics of Hornet dudes with their gear, especially on www.navy.mil in their pictures section. The name soft patch above is similar to the Navy's, with different wings, of course. Typically, you'll find a soft patch that looks like this:

<Wings>

John Smith

LT USN

The "<wings>" will be either Naval Aviator wings or Naval Flight Officer wings. Also, due to the forum software, I can't make the "USN" line up correctly, but it should be right justified and in line with the "h" in Smith.

Hope that helps.

@gatordev

ok, noted, thnks for feedback mate, all this research sometimes can slow down the progress a lot.

Hey john,

I am not too good with modeling but I did the reskin for the BIS Pilots used for konyo's MH-47E and Yura's Blackhawks if you like I will help with your "Navy pilot" though I may not beable to remodel the currect Helmet/Gear plus too the BIS Pilot Model is a locked model so I couldnt edit it anyways but I can do the retexturing!

Also, dont forget that the Second and Third lods need to be more detailed as when walking up to the jet it appears to be floating in the air till you get real close and then the Landing Gear finally shows. I can fix that for you if you like to help you save time, I would just need a .p3d file with most of the First lod, then I can create the Second/Third(or however many lods you want)! And if you dont like it no worrys mate just dont use it, or let me know how you want it! That is if you need my help bud, just shoot me a PM if interested!

Dave,

@soldier2390,

Dave, regading pilot retexture I would realy apriciate help, I am aware that you cant change BIS pilot mode. Only setobjectexture or binary edit of model options is availible. Thats what i have done so far using default OA pilot just added in config:

hiddenSelections[] = {"Camo"};

hiddenSelectionsTextures[] = {"js_fa18\tex_pilot\us_navy_pilot_co.paa"};

the only thing i ws dissapointed thet BIS newer thought about custom helmet textures (for user retexture).

So if you can help me just making as realistic as possible NAVY pilot skin/retexture that will be only apriciated and speed up my 1.0 release (your name wont be forgotten in credits off course)

regarding LOD issue, then that is one of the BETA release bugs I am aware, thats fixed and with 1.0 wont be a problem (but what i have noticed it also is depending on your PC specs how lods are shown, if game forces lowest res lod straight away that means - check the settings)

John

@John,

Will get on it asap, might even make a few helmet textures for you to choose from, of course there will be the plain single color version but ill do a few colorful ones..i got some good ideas and using the hiddentextures entry in the config as you stated above you can say make every "E" version pilots where "what ever one you choose" and every "F" version pilots where a different one. If you choose to, plus that will help when /if you add specific real life squadrons i can make helmet and flight gear textures to make(squadron marking and so forth). But for the basic pilots do you want specific squadrons or a generic one