John Spartan

F/A 18 Super Hornet for Arma 2 OA

@acrono01, so what you are trying to say if an variable is included in config it will enable ACE type HUD?

Also maybe you have an idea how to set correct point for refuelling probe to be attached to drogue/house of tanker during ACE areal refuelling, at this moment it is enabled but looks poor since the end of the drogue is attached to nose of the plane.

Yes. I went ahead and tested it myself by opening up your config file. By simply adding that line under the JS_FA18E class and deleting the vector on the HUD I was able get a functioning ACE HUD.

The ACE HUD change looked like this...

class JS_FA18E: Su34
{
	ACE_HUD_ENABLED=1;

The section I deleted...

class PlaneHeading
				{
					clipTL[]={0,1};
					clipBR[]={1,0};
					type="line";
					points[]=
					{

{
							"Velocity",
							{0,-0.0189189},
						},

{
							"Velocity",
							{0.014,-0.0132432},
						},

{
							"Velocity",
							{0.02,0},
						},

{
							"Velocity",
							{0.014,0.0132432},
						},

{
							"Velocity",
							{0,0.0189189},
						},

{
							"Velocity",
							{-0.014,0.0132432},
						},

{
							"Velocity",
							{-0.02,0},
						},

{
							"Velocity",
							{-0.014,-0.0132432},
						},

{
							"Velocity",
							{0,-0.0189189},
						},
						{},

{
							"Velocity",
							{0.039999999,0},
						},

{
							"Velocity",
							{0.02,0},
						},
						{},

{
							"Velocity",
							{-0.039999999,0},
						},

{
							"Velocity",
							{-0.02,0},
						},
						{},

{
							"Velocity",
							{0,-0.0378378},
						},

{
							"Velocity",
							{0,-0.0189189},
						},
						{}
					};
				};

And as a result I achieved... ( the TVV vector can be hard to see in embedded version)

That was just a quick test I did. I'm sure similar results could be achieved with the two seat model.

Unfortunetly the ACE CCRP function does not work with the "js_w_fa18_GBU12LGBLaucher" and associated "js_m_fa18_GBU12_x4" because, to my knowledge, it is not compatible with custom weapons and ammo types. I was able to achieve the CCRP in the video by adding the "BombLauncherA10" weapon and "4RND_GBU12" weapon to the aircraft. The only problem is I was having trouble getting the bombs to mount onto the proper hardpoints on the aircraft.

I will look further into how to get the fuel lines to match up properly in the next day or so.

Ok all this is interesting. What I would be most interested is to get it working with BIS vanilla weapons, my moded and GLT missile box, since all of them are supported on this FA18. Maybe there is something we need to add to weapons config for CCIP system scripts to accept them?

About placing weapons/magazines - custom load outs can be done based on scripts provided within download. Also remember that you need to add magazines in certain sequence so they show up properly on aircraft hard points and match your load out.

FA18_blueprint_front_zpsfc2f7ab3.jpg

both aircraft have 18 stations (version 0.98 and higher, which will be available next week, will have 19). So placing magazines keep in mind hard point numbering because that is the load sequence for the game engine.

Also I would like to remaind you EULA which is in the first post. Next time please ask author before editing his work. In this case I am ok, and you have my permission to open/edit pbo for personal use and for the interest of this project to do so. The reason why I remainded you this is the general forum/and BIS community rules, also right now in current situation with steam workshop EULA this matter is even more discussed and paid attention to. So next time just ask an author fisrt before you get in trouble, most of the authors will have no problem granting you certain permissions.

Edited by John_Spartan

Ok all this is interesting. What I would be most interested is to get it working with BIS vanilla weapons, my moded and GLT missile box, since all of them are supported on this FA18. Maybe there is something we need to add to weapons config for CCIP system scripts to accept them?

Indeed there is. After a bit of searching and experimentation I was able to achieve the same results in my earlier post with the weapons that are already on the aircraft. The gravity and air friction values used below are the same ones used by ACE for the Mk82's on the bottom of the A-10 and AV-8B. After doing a series of bombing runs in the editor they all appear to function properly and hit their targets perfectly.

CfgAmmo

class js_a_fa18_MK82: BombCore
{
	ACE_CCIP_GRAVITY=5.6866498;
	ACE_CCIP_AIRFRIC=-0.000203;

and

class js_a_fa18_GBU12_LGB: LaserBombCore
{
	ACE_CCIP_GRAVITY=5.6866498;
	ACE_CCIP_AIRFRIC=-0.000203;

CfgWeapon

class js_w_fa18_Mk82BombLauncher: RocketPods
{
	ACE_HUD_WeaponType="bomb";

and

class js_w_fa18_GBU12LGBLaucher: BombLauncher
{
	ACE_HUD_WeaponType="bomb";

Note that this has no effect on GLT weapons. I am not sure how one would change the values for GLT weapons from the GLT mod, if it is even possible. If it is possible I am sure that adding the same lines in the same places would generate the same successful result.

Also I would like to remaind you EULA which is in the first post. Next time please ask author before editing his work. In this case I am ok, and you have my permission to open/edit pbo for personal use and for the interest of this project to do so. The reason why I remainded you this is the general forum/and BIS community rules, also right now in current situation with steam workshop EULA this matter is even more discussed and paid attention to. So next time just ask an author fisrt before you get in trouble, most of the authors will have no problem granting you certain permissions.

Definitely noted. I'm sorry that I went ahead an opened up your mod without getting your permission to do so. I was wrong to do so and will be sure to follow these rules in the future.

@acrono01, thats great, this valuable information will allow to include such feature in next 0.98 version for ACE mod.

Also I'll try to contact lads from ACE mod, and maybe we can work out some kinda simple solution to have this feature for non ACE version.

I'll do some MP tests by the end of the week and let you know how this worked out. If ok, then by monday this will be availible for download with other long wated features included.

We manage to implement;

- fuel drop sequence for external tanks

- nimitz landing is now full animated and works 100% in MP

- targeting system on F version is shaped in basic functional feature

- anti ship loadouts

- aerial refueling compatability with Feints upconing mod

- F version capable of carrying buddy pod & 5 external fuel tanks to resupply squad

my response to recent posts [which were removed by moderators]

I have done a standalone version for ARMA 3, but for now it wont be released to public for two reasons:

1st of all - until there is a final clarity on steam/steam workshop involvement and steam EULA section 2. So until BIS will come up with an official statement to bring final clarity in this matter, non of my work will be published on A3 platform.

2st - also I believe current model is not really up to A3 standard's, I am working on new cockpit already and hope I'll find a spare time to get a new model done before A3 goes into 1.0. Till that I would prefer to not release low quality add-on for A3.

Also have you red EULA for this FA18 mod in the first post of this tread. I want to clearly state that I have not given any permissions to port/edit this add-on to ARMA 3 with rights to publish it. So far only two people Asked me for permissions to edit the mod for their personal use.

I am not jet familiar with AllInARMA project. TO MAKE IT PERFECTLY CLEAR - AT THIS MOMENT I DONT WANT TO SEE THIS ADDON PORTED TO ARMA 3 IN ANY WAY. And in case I see any of my work on some steam related sites for download, all download links will be taken down and no more public releases.

STANDART EULA.

DISCLAIMER

You are permitted to install and use this software for personal entertainment purposes only. This content is meant to be used in ARMA 2/OA/CO game versions and with other community mods. Any commercial or military use is strictly forbidden without permission from the author.

DO NOT modify/port this add-on in any way shape or form without the expressed written permission of the owners of this add-on. If you wish to make changes, modify, or redistribute this add-on contact John_Spartan or Franze on BI’s Forums and we would be happy to provide permissions. This add-on is the property of Franze and John_Spartan with a loads of hard work invested in it, please respect that.

DO NOT upload this add-on to "steam works" [or whatever is that steam mod site] I DONT WANT TO SEE ANY OF MY WORK THERE.

The authors take no responsibility for any damages this program may cause, use at your own risk.

Edited by John_Spartan
edited to make a clear statment on EULA

@acrono01, thats great, this valuable information will allow to include such feature in next 0.98 version for ACE mod.

Also I'll try to contact lads from ACE mod, and maybe we can work out some kinda simple solution to have this feature for non ACE version.

I'll do some MP tests by the end of the week and let you know how this worked out. If ok, then by monday this will be availible for download with other long wated features included.

We manage to implement;

- fuel drop sequence for external tanks

- nimitz landing is now full animated and works 100% in MP

- targeting system on F version is shaped in basic functional feature

- anti ship loadouts

- aerial refueling compatability with Feints upconing mod

- F version capable of carrying buddy pod & 5 external fuel tanks to resupply squad

That buddy pod feature sounds great. The same goes for fully animated landings on the carrier. I can speak for myself and the pilots in the realism unit I fly with when I say we're really excited about these features. :D

I was using this addon a lot in my OA until my computer completely crashed the other day and everything was deleted. Now I have a new computer and I have to re download everything I had. ANd the first thing I wanted was this addon and now finding out it's been taken out of the arma2 world. Very, very sad :(

Download links for version 1.0 of these hornets soon will be up on Armaholic.

Meanwhile I would like to remind that at this moment no porting to ARMA 3. To be honest this model without PhysX implemented it's no good anyway.

I will quote NodUnit from his post in ALLINARMA tread where I found that there are newcomers and even author of a mod who don't care much about other authors rights.

I would like to take this moment to remind everyone on this team or having the idea of porting addons over, wether you are dragging and dropping a file or modifying it, it is still porting.

I also ask you remember that the road to hell is paved with the best of intentions, and that mods such as this have existed in the past, dating even to Operation Flashpoint with FFUR asked permission to use addons.

As such you should not take it upon yourself to assume that everyone is fine with having their addons ported.

It is always in the best interest of all to ask first, generally you get the answer of yes but you will always see "NO" if you act without permission.

If you wish to go public with something, ask permission, if you wish to keep it yourself and not publicize then fine.

All it takes is a few minutes people...do not let us become a community in fear of one another due to going against one anothers wishes and thus discouraging creation.

It is far easier to lose trust than it is to gain it...do not threaten its loss.

Congrats John Spartan, I know how hard you have worked on this model! Well done!

Starting to come outta my A2/OA hiatus (college ends in less than 2 weeks). These things are EPIC. LOOOOOOVE the buddy refuel. Such a great idea/function. Works great too....only slight criticism is that the drogue looks kinda funny, but that really is so minor that I'm not even sure why I mentioned it lol. Was just going through and looking at the skins and loadouts. One thing I did notice is that when you put in a loadout, it gives you unlimited fuel. Doesn't matter whether is AA, Bombs, AG2....even if you have the fuel scroll bar set to none, aircraft spawn with a full tank and the fuel will not burn off (tested at 4x time compression and afterburners going...fuel level does not decrease, only when no loadouts scripts are entered does fuel burn off)

This is also a minor suggestion/request....would it be possible to get another real world "E" skin? The "F" has 2 real world squadrons, the "E" only has one. But that's not a big deal. I did see in the readme you said possibly in the future you would include something to be able to do custom skins...if thats the case i might have to figure out how to do that lol! But anyway, here's a list of -18 squadrons if you want any ideas:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_F/A-18E/F_Super_Hornet#Operators

Awesome work JS, sorry I couldn't help out with the testing more, school was consuming my life.

EDIT: Also, the option to fold wings does not appear unless engines are off. If you fold the wings while engines are off and then start the plane, the wings stay folded until either reaching that max speed or you tell the to unfold. Having an option to fold wings with engine running would be helpful

Edited by islesfan186

@Foxhound, thanks' man, updated the tread with ARMAHOLIC download links.

@islesfan186, idea behind the additional tanks is - if they are equipped then aircraft fuel will be replenished until external fuel is depleted [it might take a while] and only after you will see aircraft's inner fuel being used. I might overlook the time for this feature. I'll look in to it. Also I am working on new UI for user being able to select any load out he wants like Franze initially meant this for OFP/ARMA 1 versions. So there will be updates for sure.

About additional real life squadron skin then I am open to suggestions, you are right I could use one more.

Nah I meant that when you enter an air to ground loadout script, the aircraft has infinite fuel. It won't burn off at all.

And if you're open to suggestions about a skin, I say VFA-27...googling pictures of the CAG bird it looks pretty sick. There are some where it has teeth on them too...huge fan of the shark teeth :-)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ifHCrIj74IA/Tudp8UA_P0I/AAAAAAAACA8/gmHda45BU9Q/s1600/VFA-27%2BF-18E.jpg

arrestor hook lol. But that's carrier ops... As far as land based runways, it's pretty much the same as all the other aircraft in game, flaps and holding throttle down

@Wessoo, man give it try to land this bird on Jdogs awesome USS Nimitz with "tail hook down" - that arrestor system is used in real life on carrier born aircraft, when FA18 is landing on regular airfield then its the same as any other aircraft. A bit of a practice and - with flaps fully down and landing speed 170kmh after touch down just reduce the throttle to 0 and that's all you need man.

This is a really nice mod. As far as the skins thing goes for the E Hornet, i have some ideas: VFA-31 Tomcatters of CVW-8 (USS George HW Bush, tail code NF) to balance out the presence of two pacific fleet skins with another atlantic, supplementing the Jolly Rogers already present. I would've done the Pukin dogs of the same CVW as the Jolly Rogers but i think the name is a bit of a put-off :/ Besides, the Tomcatters ar more historic

I can't think of any marine squadrons off the top of my head since none operate Super Hornets, but i'll try and dig some good normal ones up. Remember, Arma II is set in 2014-2017, so marines getting Super Hornets is a reasonable possibility :)

Edited by Blueteamguy
grammatical corrections

VFA-31, yeah why not.

Any other ideas?

Also I am working on brand new GUI so user can fully control loadouts instead of selecting from pre-sets, like Franze initially made his OFP addon. but till that I'll definetly overlook all script errors, so any feedback is appreciated

Thanks

VFA-31, yeah why not.

Any other ideas?

VFA-27...also an NF tailcode, relatively cool cag paint scheme and has sharks teeth :-)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ifHCrIj74IA/Tudp8UA_P0I/AAAAAAAACA8/gmHda45BU9Q/s1600/VFA-27%2BF-18E.jpg

OR

VFA-86....it's something different cuz most of the others have alot of black, this has a little more color in it...can't seem to find any CAG -18E's...they're all C's

There's a whole bunch, just go on Wikipedia and look at the squadrons and just pick which you think has the slickest paint jobs lol

No. 1 and No. 6 SQN, Royal Australian Air Force, both out of RAAFB Amberley. They operate the F model. And are you planning to model up the Growler? It'd be interesting to say the least to see the Growler make an appearance.

Nothing else I can say, but keep up the great work. Can't wait for the blank PSDs to be released. I got a few repaint ideas lined up *cough* Ace Combat *cough*.

VFA-31, yeah why not.

Any other ideas?

Also I am working on brand new GUI so user can fully control loadouts instead of selecting from pre-sets, like Franze initially made his OFP addon. but till that I'll definetly overlook all script errors, so any feedback is appreciated

Thanks

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?154352-Eggbeasts-cockpit-loadout-selection-script&highlight=load+script Could this be any help to you? BTW love the model :)

@ islesfan186, ok I'll pick one bad ass livery to add.

@ShadeOps21, RAAF FA18 F will be released a bit latter as a separate addon. When? depends how long current work on GUI and model improvements' will take, so with next update I guess.

Growler? Model is possible, but how do you imagine electronic warfare in ARMA 2 or even in ARMA 3? Like imagine MP game with ACRE and other addons, so for a FA18 G functions to be represented correctly you need a "heavy" set of scripts to jam/intercept enemy radio/radar/and arma built in PTT within a certain range to simulate such function realistily so it has sense. At the moment I don't want to spent time in such project.

I have a bit different more OPFOR aircraft oriented project in mind next, to bring the quality balance to ARMAverse skies. TOHK version might be considered latter with advanced controls/damage/avionics.

If someone is there willing to write such set of scripts to simulate FA18 G let me know, who knows.

@Champy_UK, thanks i'll look in to that mate.

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 PM ----------

@Champy_UK, I think that's what we have already, presets like AA, AG or MR. What I have in mind is every single pylon/station is changeable. So you can have your completely unique loadout.