Sign in to follow this  
MrSanchez

Missions cache

Hey guys,

Why is it so that some missions are not stored in the missions cache?

edit: Are there additional editor shortcuts?

like for mass selecting units and set them playable, all at once?

Edited by PhonicStudios

Hi,

Lol I got to laugh because of what you said , as I cant believe someone sees this

like for mass selecting units and set them playable, all at once?

To answer no there is not, and I if anyone has submitted a ticket on Dev heaven to have this feature/function implemented for Arma3, link in my sig, please vote.

I really dont understand myself why such a function is not in the editor in the first place, so this is why I'm pushing or it, I am in the editor all the time,

either screwing around or testing stuff, but i find it very annoying and a real time waster as Im sure you have discovered that selecting one unit at

a time really adds to the time it takes to edit and build a mission.

If we were able to highlight multiple units like say a group,a nd make them all playable at once, even to add codes that they all may need dependent on a script

or whathave you, we can be sure that our game would be very much more enjoyable allowing us to build more missions, or better yet higher quality type missions.

As for your first question,

Why is it so that some missions are not stored in the missions cache?

I'm not 100% sure on this but I do know that all mp missions that you either host or join are stored, for sp missions I dont recall having one stored,

and overall tbh I really dont know myself, sorry i cant help you there, I'd be interested in knowing myself.

Thank you for being aware and askig about it of the editor issue, I think everyone that uses the editor should see the potential

of such function as multiple unit conversion using a highlight box.

Couldnt agree more on the multiple selection of functions for playable units! It is very tedious doin this one at a time thats for sure.

Yeah, I totally vouch for this idea.. I had 72 playable units.. took me way too long to set them all playable.

now a question that totally isn't relevant, could someone explain me what this does? (in words)

man setPos (man2 modelToWorld [0,1,-1000]);

I don't understand the -1000 parameter at all..

Yeah, I totally vouch for this idea.. I had 72 playable units.. took me way too long to set them all playable.

now a question that totally isn't relevant, could someone explain me what this does? (in words)

man setPos (man2 modelToWorld [0,1,-1000]);

I don't understand the -1000 parameter at all..

i looked around the forums and yeah that -1000 param looks weird. Maybe someone with pleny of experience can answer this one;)

Since I don't want to make tons of seperate threads, i'll just ask another question..

In some scripts I see something like [] spawn on their init.sqf

Is there some webpage where I can get more information about such lines

edit: Are there additional editor shortcuts?like for mass selecting units and set them playable, all at once?

You can copy & paste from mission.sqm to mission.sqm the playable infantry. So there is no need to be hassled with setting them all to playable with each new map, over & over.

@Iceman77, Not exactly what I meant, e.g. I got 72 non playable units in my editor, and i want to make them playable, i was wondering there wasn't something so that I can select them all and then set them playable, all at once.

@Günter Severloh, I don't really understand the biki definition of spawn.. At first I thought it had to do with spawning of players because it was inside init.sqf

What could spawn be used for?

You can copy & paste from mission.sqm to mission.sqm the playable infantry. So there is no need to be hassled with setting them all to playable with each new map, over & over.

I think what he is saying PhonicStudios, is that in the sqm which is the mission file, once you set all your units, groups as playable, then you can transfer

that to other missions, or maps that you have a mission for, this way you dont have to spend the time to make each unit playable.

To me it can work, but personally I think the editor should have this feature anyways to make the units selected, even groups selected playable at once,

as not every mission you design will have the same faction of units, so from this you could setup a template mission and use this strategy that would be one way.

I suggest you vote on my ticket anyways, you'll need to create an account with dev heaven to do so, and then vote, anything you wish to add to the ticket in terms

of what I had already stated on it then add it, we need this function/feature implemented!!!

@Günter Severloh, I don't really understand the biki definition of spawn.. At first I thought it had to do with spawning of players because it was inside init.sqf

What could spawn be used for?

The [] is http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Argument

as for spawn is a code that can call other global functions, beyond that I really dont know, I know some terms, and some functions,

but beyond that I have no idea, sorry I cant help you in this area.

Ok, thanks a lot though.

Do you happen to know which arguments are being passed with init.sqf? I think 'player' is one..

From what I gather the init is for initialization of sqf scripts in a mission.

it would pertain to whats being initialized, like a briefing, or other scripts like a scripted respawn type where you have a

menu to choose from vs just having a marker set as s spawn point.

Again I know very little.

If you wish to further your understanding then these reference may help:

Mission Editing and Scripting Information

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?78089-Mission-Editing-and-Scripting-Information-Links-only-NO-Discussion

Basic SQF-Scripting guide

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=9220&highlight=ICE%2BGUI

Ah nice one Iceman, that could be used to good advantage if I had basically the same unit set up for most of the mission my friends and I play , just like a squad template i guess, Cool!

Yeah pretty much. Still would be nice to be able to select a group and set them all to playable at once.

Alright,

well, hopefully someone knows more :)

I think I got it now, is it so that people use spawn to execute code that does not halt the script? I read that init.sqf will wait on every script executed, i have a script on init.sqf that takes about 20 seconds to complete, so using [] spawn would execute it, while also executing the rest of init.sqf?

edit: and is init.sqf called only ONCE, on the briefing screen only? or also on respawn/JIP?

Thanks in advance