Sign in to follow this  
fish44

Surround SLI with GTX670's and ARMA2 OA

Hi all,

In the absence of any recent threads on the topic, i decided to create a new thread.

I started with a GTX670, and managed to get surround working satisfactorily (without bezel compensation, since the hud displays did not scale properly). Since then i have added another 670 in the hope of getting good performance in surround mode with a number of games including ARMA, and with an eye to the future (ARMA III).

I understand previous versions of the game don't support SLI, and was wondering has this changed with recent patches. If not has anyone got this card to work for them. I tried 'fooling' the nvidia software into using the crysis (and arma2) exe's profile as recommended in a thread from 2010, but could not see any effects. I don't know why. Maybe its the combination of surround AND SLI which is giving the problem, as ARMA2 does not support either technology at this time. There's some testing in can do without surround, but perfer to do some research before fumbling in the dark.

Any advice welcome.

Fish

So you have enabled SLI & Surround view in the NV driver and now A2 doesn't display on all screens? Have you checked ingame if the "multidisplay" setting is active? I've had surround working with one GTX590 but due to different monitor sizes its very useful for me and SoftTH offered a better solution.

So you have enabled SLI & Surround view in the NV driver and now A2 doesn't display on all screens? Have you checked ingame if the "multidisplay" setting is active? I've had surround working with one GTX590 but due to different monitor sizes its very useful for me and SoftTH offered a better solution.

Cheers.

No, i have the surround working, in and had it working with a single gpu also. However the performance is similar with SLI to what is was without it. I am getting the same effect when i try SLI in single screen mode compared with Single GPU in single screen mode. im interested in softTH, and have not heard of that.

For whatever it's worth, it's pretty much the same for me. I've run a lot of different SLi setups the last few years, currently have a pair of EVGA 4GB 680 HC's.

All in all, from my experience and others I play with, it seem there's is a point at which things just don't really improve or things break. Why for ... I have no clue. I was previously running 3-285's, it was much easier to see the benefit of the SLi with those cards in a single monitor setup. However, in a multi-monitor setup, it was always much more limited than what I felt it should be. As you say, comparable to a single GPU. Again, why for ... no clue.

With my current setup it's hard to say whats what. I haven't had much time to play around with the surround much (and have not tried my TH2G yet with these GPUs), but it appears to be the same scenario at least in surround. It's almost like the SLi is broken, but all things technical indicate it is actually functioning. So.. meh, if it is working, it's less than ideal. And certainly leaves you wondering whats really going on.

I know that doesn't really help with things, but at least you know you're not alone. Be happy to here any suggestions others may have. One thing I used to do with the 285's was force alternate frame rendering, that was marginally better and might be worth a shot.

Cheers Hatchet.

UPDATED POST 13.12.2012

Here's a summary of my experience to date, might help others who are considering investing in SLI/surround hardware.

1. Surround works better (more stable, less graphic crashes, easier to change modes back and forward) with a single 670gtx card.

2. SLI now working in ARMA2, And getting significant improvement in FPS, both in surround and single monitor.

3. Swapping back and forth between surround and non surround (desktop) mode is problematic with a second card present.

4. Single screen SLI, can sometimes kick off the side screens, no logic or consistency on how this happens. See post here

5. ALT tab is more problematic in some games, in ARMA2, i ALT ENTER, to window mode to get the desktop. Then the reverse to get back to full screen.

6. If you don't use bezel correction, surround does make significant improvement to immersion, with the correct FOV, and some tweaking of video settings.

7. Because of the HUD (command menu, ammo remaining, gps) layout, bezel correction does not work with surround, as there's always something hidden.

8. While surround is good for the game, its poor for desktop, and breaks the ability to have separate full screen youtube videos playing for example.

9. As above, swapping between surround and desktop mode, is problematic, and you have to re configure the ancillary monitors in windows, when you go back to the desktop mode (non surround)

10. You can restore the desktop layout, but the widgets have to be moved manyally if not on the main screen.

11. Task bar randomly gets put on the side screens, after reboot.

12. System crashes changing back from surround to 3 screens, forcing a reboot.

Conclusion.

Surround is amazing when it is working, but a bit of a pain each time to configure with mixed results. SLI is working as i expected, with significant boost in FPS in selected games including ARMA2.

Looking forward to SLI with ARMA3.

Edited by Fish44

Its been a while, but here's an update on the current setup

I had to install a switch to move a dvi connection over from one card to the other when switching between surround and single screen SLI.

See the images below.

Process is to change to surround

1. switch the second DVI from the first card (the one with the other DVI and display port connections to the second card.

2. go to nvidia settings and select surround. follow the instructions. You will need to rearrange the screens when requested to do so.

3. Use a software tool to restore the desktop for the surround. You rearrange and save it first.

Going back is the reverse...

1. Go to nvidia setting and switch to 'max performance'

2. change the dvi back to the first card.

3. restore the screen layout with iconrestorer.

switch (598 kB)

connections (462 kB)