Sign in to follow this  
InRange

Combat boots

Since I got my combat boots recently (I'll be entering service in late August) I was wondering, do all NATO countries issue the same combat boots to their armed forces?

My boots are officially called 'M90 combat boots'. What kind did you wear during service? And were they comfortable?

You are kidding me? 'M90 combat boots'? The Swedish one is called m90 Marschkänga.. I wonder if it is the same model:

Summer model:

t_m90kanga.jpg

Winter model:

s_m90vinterkanga.jpg

s_marschkanga90_gs.jpg

s_borschyr_kanga90.jpg

Anyway, pretty solid boots. Not to shabby, but nothing spectacular. You have to change the felt sole since the original one sucks.

After a couple of months I bought my own boots of a different model that were better.

Here is the finnish summer combat boot: Varsikenkä M91.

001.jpg

Here is the winter boot:

770.jpg

The summer boot is decent. Quite light, but requires good socks to be comfortable. The winter boot is heavy as hell, but it is also very warm. I survived 40 degrees freeze with those ones like a dream.

But if I ever go to war, I'll take these babies:

metunt.jpg

Meindl Tunturisusi

I bought them a couple of years back with 200 euros. I have trekked with them for quite a while now and I have no complaints. Water-proof and breathing, fit like a dream, I love those boots.

Guest Scooby

varsikenka.jpg

I bought one pair of those to myself after military service for hiking use.

Standard issue Bundeswehr Kampfstiefel (Combat boots):

bwhibeigetk30.jpg

Other boots i wore, because they were more comfortable in most circumstances:

Summer/Regular duty in the barracks, cheap ass Magnum Hitec:

magblvohibeige311x295k23.jpg

Winter, Lowa´s:

186101.jpg

GrangercuirFrusag.jpg

french_boots.jpg

these are still issued in french army

the worst thing i've ever worn

i found it very unconfortable , the only good thing was the fantastic ankle support

i think the alpine units have secial boots , but i've never been issued myself with winter boots . the only way to keep our feet warm was to wear 2 or 3 pairs of socks

- edit -

here are the french cold weather boots , but they are rarely issued to the troops

french-boots%201.jpg

jungle boots (dunno if they are still issued though) :

B0042.jpg

wow.gif2--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ July 16 2002,19wow.gif2)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">GrangercuirFrusag.jpg

french_boots.jpg

these are still issued in french army

the worst thing i've ever worn

i found it very unconfortable , the only good thing was the fantastic ankle support

i think the alpine units have secial boots , but i've never been issued myself with winter boots . the only way to keep our feet warm was to wear 2 or 3 pairs of socks<span id='postcolor'>

Exactly ! The best ankle support I've never seen ( tried many boots tounge.gif - BW type, Heckel, etc...), and because it's the more important, that's why my vote goes for them !

And very fast to close with constant foot and ankle pressure.

Sure you have to break theyr hard leather parts, to carry withoot damages for our grunt's first weapon's, the feet ! lol !

But when you've done it, they will fit better than fine sport shoes, and wearing first a cooton sock and then an big wool one, you can turn asleep in normal conditions forgetting you're wearing them !

The sole do not attract the mud too much, comparative to other boots, the design resist well to humidity, the thick leather protect front and rear part of the feet from shocks...not so heavy than unusefully other sophisticated models...

This is the most effective shoe on earth !

Thanks for the pictures Ran, they remembers me some funny years ! smile.gif

P.S. The first picture shows very tired ones, but the second picture...I believe they are civilian copy ( already saw many in surplus shops ) with bad thin leather and different design around ankle, worst sews.

lol , had a hard time to find these pictures smile.gif

i didn't like these mainly because i have a special kind of feet

in clear : they don't make the shoes , the shoes make them smile.gif

it's hard to find something good to put on my feet smile.gif

when i was in the army , i had my exact shoe size , it harmed so much .... lol

now i use a pair of these boots but one size over

altama boots ? longely hesited between these ones and a surplus pair of french boots , took the french boots cuz i had an occazion to find a cheap pair and the altamas cost a lot (like almost every other combat boots)

they seemed confortable but a little bit easy to dirty and not solid enough at my taste and the sole would be unnecessary for what i do with my shoes

I wear Altamas as well. I hate them. I'm gonna buy the new USMC Infantry combats boots. I hear they are very comfy. They are also authorized by my unit. Some Army units won't allow their troops to wear USMC issued equipment.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">They are NOT issue.

<span id='postcolor'>

Actually in my unit they are. SOCOM units issue jungle boots. Every one else gets the speed lace leg boots.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USSoldier11B @ July 17 2002,02:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I wear Altamas as well. I hate them. I'm gonna buy the new USMC Infantry combats boots. I hear they are very comfy. They are also authorized by my unit. Some Army units won't allow their troops to wear USMC issued equipment.<span id='postcolor'>

They are a vast improvement over the old-style "Cadillacs," AKA Carriers, Personnel, Leather.  Are you talking about buying the current issue black boots, or the upcoming rough-finish brown ones for our new digital-pattern cammies?  (You do know the brown ones have an Eagle, Globe, and Anchor branded into the leather, right?  Be careful; I imagine wearing those would make your SNCO's lose their collective mind.  It would be like me showing up in a black beret.   wink.gif

Semper Fi

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">or the upcoming rough-finish brown ones for our new digital-pattern cammies? <span id='postcolor'>

Huh? Since when do Marines get new equipment? tounge.gif

No, I haven't heard anything about these boots. Got any links?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Be careful; I imagine wearing those would make your SNCO's lose their collective mind. It would be like me showing up in a black beret.<span id='postcolor'>

LOL!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Satchel @ July 16 2002,18:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Standard issue Bundeswehr Kampfstiefel (Combat boots):<span id='postcolor'>

LOL! I went hiking with my friend. He was wearing Bundeswehr Kampfstiefel boots and I was wearing my trusty pair of Meindl Tunturisusi boots. My friend treated the boots well, he even applied this water-proofing boot-polish every evening in camp.

It was raining a lot. The result was that his feet were soaking wet all the time (he was pissed), whereas my feet were nicely warm and dry inside my boots. Goddamn I love those boots!

I can only say like the officer in some Vietnam movie: "Do me a favour and keep your feet dry. That Mekong river can eat the flesh right off your legs."

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PitViper @ July 16 2002,16:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">These are what I wore.  They are NOT issue.

Summer:

6877.jpg

<span id='postcolor'>

These are what I had. Loved 'em. Great for road marches. If you ever make it to the desert (JTF-Kuwait/SA, Afghanistan or NTC if you're in the Army) you'll get the standard issue desert boots. I love those too. I even wear them with jeans every once in a while. Really comfortable, good traction, light.

However, I hope that you realize that if you bring your own boots to basic training, or if you buy a pair there, you will never see them again. Either your drill instructors will confiscate (and use) them or some buddy-f*cker will steal them. Either way, you'll get a lot of crap from people and maybe even an Article 15. Don't deviate from the norm, whatever you do.

Also, if you're going into the Army, DO NOT wear Magnums (the combat boots that look and feel like running shoes). AR 670-1 (you'll learn to love and know it) specifically prohibits their use. God forbid the Army should ever allow comfortable footwear <sarcasm>. Also, you may not be able to wear jungle boots with green canvas/nylon. In my unit I could, but in many other units you can't.

So what branch/MOS are you going into?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ July 16 2002,09:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You are kidding me? 'M90 combat boots'? The Swedish one is called m90 Marschkänga.. I wonder if it is the same model:

Summer model:

t_m90kanga.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

Those are the ones. The summer model. At the moment, they feel quite comfortable as I've worn them for about two weeks now. And I'll probably buy some custom boots when the time is there. Any recommendations? (Providing they're available in the Netherlands)

@Hellfish6:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So what branch/MOS are you going into?<span id='postcolor'>

I'll be joining the Royal Netherlands Navy. I'm going to the Naval Academy.

These just rule. Meindl Tunturisusi:

MeindlTunturisusi.jpg

Meindl is a german company, so I think the shoes are available around europe. The outer surface is made of tough leather and there is a Gore Tex membrane between the leather and the inner lining.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USSoldier11B @ July 17 2002,07:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">or the upcoming rough-finish brown ones for our new digital-pattern cammies? <span id='postcolor'>

Huh? Since when do Marines get new equipment? tounge.gif

No, I haven't heard anything about these boots. Got any links?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Be careful; I imagine wearing those would make your SNCO's lose their collective mind.  It would be like me showing up in a black beret.<span id='postcolor'>

LOL!<span id='postcolor'>

http://www.hyperstealth.com/CADPAT-MARPAT.htm

This link has a few pics of the cammies, but not the boots:

http://www.mcaroy.com/cadpat.htm

Right now, recruits and officer candidates have priority for the new cammies.  We've received two shipments here in Pendleton and medium regular has sold out in a couple of hours each time.  The new boots are due out later this summer -- they're identical to the current black issue, except they have suede outers.  Two benefits:  Reduced infrared signature and no more time wasted spit-shining.  (Permanent press cammies, suede boots, anodized brass, synthetic leather shoes -- what the hell are recruits supposed to do in boot camp these days?   tounge.gif )

Semper Fi

UtesPi2.jpg

I'm sorry, but that boonie hat is the goofiest headgear I've ever seen (besides the new "leg" pizza man black beret).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">what the hell are recruits supposed to do in boot camp these days? <span id='postcolor'>

No shit.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">MeindlTunturisusi.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

These look very comfy. I'm jealous.

I dunno about those digital cammies. Not sure that I like them. The pattern is to blocky, no fluid lines.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USSoldier11B @ July 18 2002,04:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm sorry, but that boonie hat is the goofiest headgear I've ever seen (besides the new "leg" pizza man black beret).

<snip>

These look very comfy. I'm jealous.

I dunno about those digital cammies. Not sure that I like them. The pattern is to blocky, no fluid lines.<span id='postcolor'>

They do look strange in person, partly because the top blends into the bottom so well that it looks like you're wearing coveralls.  The thing is, you won't believe how well the pattern works until you see it (or don't see it?) in action.  It's eerie.  They also have a few other special touches:  Interior slots in the elbows and knees for padded inserts, velcro chest pocket closures, elastic cargo pockets, and sleeve pockets (the only ones you can access w/ body armor).

I'm not a big fan of the boonie either, but IN THE FIELD it's a good piece of gear.  We don't wear 'em to bag chicks.   wink.gif

Semper Fi

The new cadpat looks nice. Any site that compares it with the cammies the Corps has now?

These are mine, pretty comfortable but they take a while to put on biggrin.gif

FW77.jpg

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ July 18 2002,12:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">These are mine, pretty comfortable but they take a while to put on  biggrin.gif

FW77.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

do you wear silk panties too? tounge.gif