Sign in to follow this  
call_911

DCS World an LockOn FC3 Released

They really should start thinking of different title names...seeing LOMAC 2,3 and eventually 4 is likely to give people the wrong impression..

They really should start thinking of different title names...seeing LOMAC 2,3 and eventually 4 is likely to give people the wrong impression..
What wrong impression...they sell the same game a fourth time just with new bugs...and double the system requirements. I had a look into DCS world and the Su-25T...it's the samea s in FC2 with some HDR Filters, new bugs, unplayable MP and a grass clutter you barely notice. Edited by Beagle

. I had a look into DCS world and the Su-25T...it's the samea s in FC2 with some HDR Filters, new bugs, unplayable MP and a grass clutter you barely notice.

And free... :j:

And free... :j:
FC3 is not free nor BS2, A-10, or P-51 or whatever modukle will come, DCS:world is only somewhat of a demo payware without modules and you cant use it Online because MP is blocked without payware modules. And after I have sunk 200€ in the past into the same game again and again in begin to know what im talkign about. ED is even using free available FC2 mods in FC3 to make it look a bit fresher. The new cockpits, F-15 and A10 are all available as FC2 mods, the only realyl new feature of FC3 is a 3d 6dof F-15 cockpit...SFM is still the same as well as the sticky landing behaviour...oh well and Su-33 sink into the moving carrier deck now. FC3 looks more like a kitbash mod gone wrong. FC3 is a beta with a bucktload of new and old bugs in it by EDs own words, but still they charge full 39$ price for it.

Flaming Cliff 3 will be the last sequel from that serie. After that it will be all about DCS

I never understood the visceral hate some members of both communities have towards the devs/game beloved by the other community (not talking about you NodUnit)

I know ED has done some questionable move in the past but when you look how small this studio is (roughly 30 devs ) it's quite astonishing to see the level of fidelity they offer.

This probably the only studio who isn't taking any shortcut when it comes to realism. No concession whatsoever, this is a really brave standpoint in today's video game business.

And for that I have huge respect for ED.

Specially since things are slowly but surely taking shape. The last 6 months have been really encouraging. The modular aspect is finally up and running, there are still some issues but just like any sims of this complexity it takes time.

If you're not patient you shouldn't even look at ED and their products.

Several 3rd party devs have showed up too, announcing dozen of new hi-fi aircraft.

FC3 is there to fill a gap, because we probably won't see any 3rd party aircraft before at least 1 year (except the Mig-21 and the UH-1H) and people are dying to get their hands on fast movers.

No one is forced to buy it in order to enjoy DCS:World in single or multiplayer.

If you think it's crap, don't buy. As simple as that.

It's a turning point, the work ED has laid down over the past 5 years is finally becoming something concrete.

@Macadam Cow

What mande a lot of log term ED customers upset is the way the sell patches wraped up as new games.

Just have a look at the FC1, BS nunsolved buglist and the way we were told mucg to often the problem is fixed and will be available in upcoming version...FC2 and BS2 were just payware patches, and FC3 is just a Patch for Compatibility with DCS:World...at full price. No changes were done to FC2 exept a few cosmeticals changes to F-15 cockpit. And if you're like me using an G940 you cant play DCS anyway since 1.22 has introduced a force feedback trimmign bug problem unsolved for 9 weeks now.

Edited by Beagle

:j:

Key Features of Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 3 include:

• A DCS World module that is compatible with DCS titles.

• New 6 degrees of freedom (6DOF) cockpit and model for the F-15C.

• New F-15C campaign and single missions.

• Improved cockpit art for Russian aircraft.

• Improved landing dynamics.

• Improved flight dynamics for air-to-air missiles.

• Updated and improved HUDs and other cockpit systems.

• Resource Manager that adds logistics control to missions.

• Expanded theatre of operations map into eastern Georgia.

• Countless other improvements in the areas of the mission editor, special effects, new models, improved terrain detail and AI.

Just like I said I know they've had some questionable move in the past, was it because of bad "planning" or was it just to grab $ from their customers, nobody can't answer that.

But ED is the last remnant of an extinct species, hell it's not even a species, it's the only one of it's kind. they're too precious to be let down.

DCS:BS was a one shot. They already had the idea of a modular world but they really didn't know if it would find its audience.

It did, probably more than expected.

The real first DCS module was the warthog. And as far as I know there're no plans to release a DCS:A-10C 2

Studios like Eagle Dynamics or Bohemia Interactive are too rare to be treated like EA, Ubi, Codemaster and the likes.

When I bought the Hog I realised how dedicated they were but it's only when I bought the P-51D that I realise how passionate they were about what their doing.

I know it sounds insane but you litterally feel it when you play with the pony. It's like if the cockpit was sweating love and passion. I'm not crazy, you can ask the P-51 owners, a majority of them will agree with me.

ED devs are completely nuts.

Edited by Macadam Cow

:j:

Just like I said I know they've had some questionable move in the past, was it because of bad "planning" or was it just to grab $ from their customers, nobody can't answer that.

But ED is the last remnant of an extinct species, hell it's not even a species, it's the only one of it's kind. they're too precious to be let down, just like BIS.

Macadam Cow...are you aware that this feature lost ist not yet implemented...?

Improved missile flight dynamics are only for AIM-120 so far

The improved Cockpits are from a FC2 mod thats free available

The new landing dynamics are not implemented

HUDs are often unreadable now

the expanded theater is from BS2, A-10 and DCS:world and its just flat featureless terrain with Beslan and Mozdok on it

the improved special efect lead to CTD and slowdowns for a lot of users.

But all in all a nice feature list...but pure fantasy so far.

If youre for a good laught try carrier landings and refueling...or simply

try to maintain a radar lock...all broken features.

Beagle...are you aware that FC3 is in BETA stage for only 10 days now ?

And several bugs have already been fixed

1.2.2 Update - 12 November 2012

Today an auto update will be available for FC3 / 1.2.2:

F-15C wheels are now animated.

Su-33 no longer explodes during touch-and-go.

Su-33 pilot is now visible from external view.

Updated German Su-25T flight manual.

German DCS World localization improved.

In-game Re-Arm Menu is now localized.

1.2.2 Update - 14 November 2012

Today an auto update will be available for FC3 / 1.2.2:

Fixed game crash that could be caused by F-15C weapon change in some circumstances.

Corrected Su-25T campaign mission typo.

Orange and Red marker smoke was reversed, but fixed now.

Su-33 arrestor hook now visually contacts arrestor wire.

Su-33 HUD no longer has green surface at night.

Localization corrections.

Autoapdater mirror selection corrected.

Mission editor. The callnames issue fixed.

Mission editor. Player can drive checkbox is checked now by default.

I wonder how many fixes will be made to the ArmA 3 beta within that time.

Edited by Macadam Cow

Macadam Cow, are you not aware that this beta is sold for full price???

Even worse youre stuck if you made the mistake and buy the Combines Arms beta...yes that's it they sell betas and have proofen to be unwilling to fix full versions for quite a while.

lol well yeah of course it's sold full price, just like any beta. ArmA 3 beta will be sold full price, ToH beta was sold full price.

And once the game is released you get the full version without having to pay more.

Don't understand your point about CA, why would you be stuck ?

And comon, they haven't prove to be unwilling to fix their games, I know what happened with BS but it didn't happen with the Hog or the Pony...so far, I'll give you that.

ED make good stuff, but it is riddled with problems and their business practices are/potentially were, questionable. The amount of CTDs I have is mental. Hell, I parked my Su-33 in a carrier yesterday and the entire server crashed because the boarding ladder came down. That bug isn't limited to FC3 either.

It often seems like most of their "testing team" spend more time being condescending dicks on their forums than actually doing any testing (apart from Nate, because he is awesome. Eddie and a couple of the other guys fit here too :)). Testers and moderators being pleasant goes a long way to help your company, IMO.

Oh, and CA was a huge waste of money for me. I fully regret it. What use is it when AI can see through trees and buildings?

Edited by Hellfire257

Well yeah, that's unfortunate but then again it's still in beta, too early to bitch IMO.

I know how frustrating it is but you have to be fair, if you buy a beta you can't expect the game to run silk smooth.

Some games sold as "complete" are much worst than FC3.

Honestly I haven't had any CTD with other modules, at least not ingame, I crashed several when hitting "quit" but it could hardly be less annoying, specially since the launcher itself never crash (at least for me).

Concerning the mods/testers, there're dickhead everywhere. I know a few people here who fits perfectly to the condescending moron archetype too.

But thank god none of them is moderator...well W0lle is a bit special and I wish placebo could stop sending me flowers and love mails...but that's another story :D

And CA...I'd be tempted to say I've waste my money too but then again it's too early too judge, still in beta too, nobody really knows what it will be like to play on a DCS:W server one year from now.

This is the very beginning of DCS. I know BS and A-10C are out for a few years now, but the "real" DCS starts now. Give it some time

Edited by Macadam Cow

I won´t buy anything from them as long as they don´t fix that "forest are not solid and won´t block AI view" crap. How disgracefull to release a Helicopter sim where you can´t hide behind forests...

Once again I understand the issue but not your reaction.

It looks like you think ED is doing that on purpose, like if they could fix but..."naaah let's keep 'em frustrated with our ghost trees"

ED devs aren't greedy bastards, do you know many studio who allows a dev from another studio to advertise his game on their forums ?

ED did, with BIS ! Dwarden was posting news about ToH (not even ArmA !) and answering qweries, on ED's forum (!)

I also think ED took a bigger bite than they could chew. You gotta realise that right now they're working on :

FC3 beta

CA beta

DCS:Fighter

Edge

Nevada Map.

And they're also helping the 3rd party devs.

That's something for such a small team.

I'm not a fan boy, really, I just think they diserve another chance, because despite the flaws they're building something quite amazing.

Macadam Cow, are you not aware that this beta is sold for full price???

Earth to Beagle, it's a pre-order beta access deal.

Once again I understand the issue but not your reaction.

It looks like you think ED is doing that on purpose, like if they could fix but..."naaah let's keep 'em frustrated with our ghost trees"

ED devs aren't greedy bastards, do you know many studio who allows a dev from another studio to advertise his game on their forums ?

ED did, with BIS ! Dwarden was posting news about ToH (not even ArmA !) and answering qweries, on ED's forum (!)

I also think ED took a bigger bite than they could chew. You gotta realise that right now they're working on :

FC3 beta

CA beta

DCS:Fighter

Edge

Nevada Map.

And they're also helping the 3rd party devs.

That's something for such a small team.

I'm not a fan boy, really, I just think they diserve another chance, because despite the flaws they're building something quite amazing.

Come on I know flight sims from the 90s with working trees. I´m not saying that ED is totally bad, but they really need to fix some loooong time bugs instead of introducing new ones all the time.

Come on I know flight sims from the 90s with working trees. I´m not saying that ED is totally bad, but they really need to fix some loooong time bugs instead of introducing new ones all the time.

Like BIS does with A1, A2, OA, A3? :p

FC3 looks more like a kitbash mod gone wrong. FC3 is a beta with a bucktload of new and old bugs in it by EDs own words, but still they charge full 39$ price for it.

They are not charging $39.99 for the beta, the $39.99 is a pre-order that gives you access to the beta and you don't have to buy it, you can simply wait until it is released.

I'm not always in total agreement with ED or the way they release patches/upgrades for a premium but as MacAdamCow said, they are the last of their kind and they are extremely passionate about what they do.

For example, $40.00 for A10C or BS2 is a small price to pay for the level of detail they offer.

Calling ED out because there are bugs is a pretty weak argument if you play any of the ArmA games as they have had their fair share (as do most games these days and most games are not anywhere near as complex as the DCS series).

Bugs are inherent in projects as ambitious as DCS or ArmA and tbh, I play BS2 and/or CA pretty much every day and I don't have any glaring problems with either of them.

What ED are working towards is truly awesome and if we don't support them, they will die off and then there will be NOBODY making combat flight sims.

Edited by BangTail

Well of course BIS games have bugs but I consider them quite small compared to "just fo the looks" trees in a combat helicopter sim. That is something I consider gamebreaking

Well of course BIS games have bugs but I consider them quite small compared to "just fo the looks" trees in a combat helicopter sim. That is something I consider gamebreaking

I wasn't attacking BIS, I was simply stating that most games have bugs to some degree these days.

You are right and that is something I really don´t like about todays gaming industry. But again, usually gamebreaking bugs aren´t around for years. Ever seen a flight of SU-25 flying extremely low towards their objective? Ever seen them fly through a forest?

You are right and that is something I really don´t like about todays gaming industry. But again, usually gamebreaking bugs aren´t around for years. Ever seen a flight of SU-25 flying extremely low towards their objective? Ever seen them fly through a forest?

It's not a trend I am happy with either. I'm sick to f**k of these endless shoddy console ports or supposed 'PC Games' that are released in a half finished state. The industry (in it's current state) is insulting to PC gamers.

This annoying 'pre order' trend (with no recourse if the game happens to be crap, along with these frigging 'Season passes' that all the AAA games seem to have adopted do not bode well for the future).

I remember when PC gaming was about creativity, ingenuity and quality. Those tenets have been swept aside in favor of greed (and don't get me wrong, I'm all for making money but not at the expense of a good game - they used to be able to do both).

Concerning the forest issue, I can't argue, it's bad and I hope they fix it.

I don't think ED are perfect but they are extremely passionate about their simulations which is why I continue to support them.