Sign in to follow this  
nosecone

Adding landcontact?

Hi all

I have created an object textured it and found that I need to add a Landcontact LOD to stop it from disappearing below the ground.

I have open my object in O2 clicked new in the top right hand box and in properties selected landcontact LOD.My object wire frame turns yellow but not sure what to do next to add the landcontacts?

Cheers

Rhys

A LOD is a completely different View or object function.

Every object will typically have a few LOD's

Several Resolution LOD's (ones that are numbers), Memory & Geometry LOD's maybe and others like the LandContact LOD

Your wireframe is not turning yellow, its a completely different "view" and the editor shows your first Resolution LOD as a yellow background trace to help.

To finish the blank LandContact LOD, simply place points or vertexes (at least 3) exactly where your model will touch the ground (bottom corners? )

Thanks Gnat

I'm new to O2 so excuse the silly question. Ok so I add points or vertexes to each corner where do I find the points ,vertexes tool to do this.

Cheers

Rhys

Thanks guys

Tryed your method Myke. Selected 3 points clicked on the LOD window ,new, properties and changed the new 1.000 to land contact pasted the contacts. Under details in the LOD window It says 3 points but for some reason it still disappears below the ground?

Rhys

Can you please post a screenshot of your furst resolution LOD, front or side view (not top or projected)?

Meh, stupid me....

Okay, in O2 open the Window "Named Properties". Right-click in it, select "New". Pop up opens, in "name" enter "autocenter" and in value enter 0. Click OK. Repeat for each LOD.

Create a box, approximately the size of the bucket in the Geometry LOD and assign mass.

Try to finish your model first before hunting bugs ingame since some bugs may simply arise due to the WIP state.

Also i hope you do optimize the bucket. There are by far more faces than required. As example, those thin round "branches" around the ring, why do the have several sections? Same for the top center ring: the faces have more sections than needed. Sorry for nagging, i just saw it and thought i let you know my thoughts.

Thanks Myke

That did the trick great stuff, I appreciate the help and the comments. The model was design in gmax at first but I'm slowly getting to grips with O2 I'll Have a go at tidying it up the bucket. My last issue is the bucket in transparent from the inside as shown in the picture? http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p178/hsvgto/transparent.jpg (141 kB)

Rhys

Aye, faces are always single sided. Just copy/paste the hull and scale it down, about 0.001 downscaling should do the trick.

Thanks Myke

I assume you mean select the entire object and scale it down? Do I texture the new selected object and add a new LOD to that, should the scale be 0.9? 0.001 seems very small.

Cheers

Rhys

Nope, not the entire object. The ring on top and the...argh...my english..."tubes" aren't affected. Select only the outer hull that is invisible. In O2, copy/paste that part (make sure you don't deselect it accidentally) and press W, after that scale it a really small bit down.

This will make a copy of your outer hull and with "W" you turn the faces inwards. Scaling down should prevent "Z-fighting" issues (which if the faces should be drawn first?).

Awesome, thanks Myke that did the trick will post a image of the finished update soon.

Cheers

Rhys