Sign in to follow this  
rufor

ArmA3 modding wishlist and discussion

This thread is for discussing what modding improvements you would like to see from ArmA2 to ArmA3 and beyond.

---

1. What I'd personally like to see would be integration of Java or another alternative to SQF, because honestly SQF is not very advanced as I'd like it to be when it comes to tasks that you could accomplish way faster and alot easier in Java.

2. I'd also like to see the ability to somehow add content such as a config file and models to a mission PBO, which could cut down on the amount of small but annoying addons that people would need to download before loading the game, although that would be a pretty tricky one for the devs to add. You can already add textures to missions, so thats a start.

3. It would also be nice if there was a way to interact with the chatbox, for example to colour a players text to show everybody else that he is a admin or to make simply player-initated commands. For example, "!menu" which could keep less clutter out of the action menu.

4. Oh and don't forget, a simpler way for noobies to install addons.

5. And the most unlikely out of all of them, .so call extension for the hypothetical Linux server that has not been confirmed yet. :p

Discuss or wish/suggest anything related to the title/original post

posted with permission from [FRL]Myke

Edited by rufor

I would like to see the possibility to create and include new Simulation classes. Also "Proxy on Proxy" handling on proxyweapons (bombs/missiles) would be very welcome.

1. What I'd personally like to see would be integration of Java or another alternative to SQF, because honestly SQF is not very advanced as I'd like it to be when it comes to tasks that you could accomplish way faster and alot easier in Java.

There isn't a problem with the language but with the extent of the API exposed to the language.

Edited by Deadfast

Installing and updating addons together with server browsing / DLing addons required by servers is damn easy thanks to Play With Six tool, which will be ported to ArmA3 AFAIK.

Edited by ProfTournesol

A few important ones from the top of my head:

• Integrated Addon Sync or public API to integrate app with Arma
  • Server browser API exposed / possible to replace the ingame browser
  • Better performance (FPS and network traffic) logging possibilities
  • Access to the diag_XXX commands
  • MergeConfig or equivalent to no longer have to restart for config changes
  • Network client simulation for MP testing
  • Additional scripting commands (setter, getter; + see CIT category "scripting")
  • Mode to reduce the loading time of the game for testing
  • More parameters to go directly to edtior, MP, auto launch (MP) mission
  • More direct access to the engine (via SQF/Java/etc)
  • More parts of the game made accessible to modding (less IDC use, more to SQF - main example: the editor)

Edited by .kju [PvPscene]

;2243138']A few important ones from the top of my head:

• Integrated Addon Sync or public API to integrate app with Arma
  • Server browser API exposed / possible to replace the ingame browser
  • Better performance (FPS and network traffic) logging possibilities
  • Access to the diag_XXX commands
  • MergeConfig or equivalent to no longer have to restart for config changes
  • Network client simulation for MP testing
  • Additional scripting commands (setter' date=' getter; see CIT)
    [*']Mode to reduce the loading time of the game for testing
  • More parameters to go directly to edtior, MP, auto launch (MP) mission
  • More direct access to the engine (via SQF/Java/etc)
  • More parts of the game made accessible to modding (less IDC use, more to SQF - main example: the editor)

This is the wishlists of all wishlists!

I'd like to add: Ability to use small arms magazines as proxies (Then we could have the proper magazine model in the gun to better represent what's actually in there)

• ability to transfer p3d defined animations when used as proxy into the new p3d.
  • hiddenselections for every asset in the game - easier reskins
  • hiddenselections working and defined on a wider number of model types (including weapons, buildings and characters)
  • penetration config allowing bullets to be defined in such a way that they can in and out through a vehicle/character etc

to be edited further

That is something I would really like to see

penetration config allowing bullets to be defined in such a way that they can in and out through a vehicle/character etc

• Reintroduce the strokegun simulation removed from the engine since ArmA.

Edited by ProfTournesol

This thread is for discussing what modding improvements you would like to see from ArmA2 to ArmA3 and beyond.

---

2. I'd also like to see the ability to somehow add content such as a config file and models to a mission PBO, which could cut down on the amount of small but annoying addons that people would need to download before loading the game, although that would be a pretty tricky one for the devs to add. You can already add textures to missions, so thats a start.

3. It would also be nice if there was a way to interact with the chatbox, for example to colour a players text to show everybody else that he is a admin or to make simply player-initated commands. For example, "!menu" which could keep less clutter out of the action menu.

4. Oh and don't forget, a simpler way for noobies to install addons.

Mmmm, I'd like all of these.

Also, if this covers mission editor, I hope 3D editor will be released after A3 release since no way no how before then it seems. I wonder how the mission briefing module will work.

Furthermore, I hope we will be able to enable/disable mods in an instant, that'd be nice. Considering, a lot of mods can be combined, and switched out, and say, I can have the Army of Lingor attack soldiers of the Waffen SS.

Further still, I'd hope we get a better Life mod thing. But as has been said before, too early to speculate sadly.

2. I'd also like to see the ability to somehow add content such as a config file and models to a mission PBO

^ That and more commands to manipulate objects, like changing out turrets on vehicles, for example putting a M134 on a M240 turret.

Generally editing related: I'd like the "save as" editor function to save the entire mission folder's contents, not just the mission.sqm file.

Generally editing related: I'd like the "save as" editor function to save the entire mission folder's contents, not just the mission.sqm file.

Care to elaborate on this one? I always saw the "save as" function to save a mission that i'm actually working on and is not ready yet. Once done, the "Export to..." function makes the mission ready to be played. But probably i don't get your point.

Myke;2243303']Care to elaborate on this one? I always saw the "save as" function to save a mission that i'm actually working on and is not ready yet. Once done' date=' the "Export to..." function makes the mission ready to be played. But probably i don't get your point.[/quote']

What i think he means is a "Collect to" button that would collect everything related to a mission to a certain folder, instead of creating a .PBO file like export does.

Myke;2243303']Care to elaborate on this one? I always saw the "save as" function to save a mission that i'm actually working on and is not ready yet. Once done' date=' the "Export to..." function makes the mission ready to be played. But probably i don't get your point.[/quote']

Well currently you can make a mission & place init files, scripts & all sorts of things into it so that it works properly. However, if you save as new mission, only the mission.sqm file gets saved into the new mission folder, not any of the other needed stuff. You currently have to manually transfer all that stuff over.

Well currently you can make a mission & place init files, scripts & all sorts of things into it so that it works properly. However, if you save as new mission, only the mission.sqm file gets saved into the new mission folder, not any of the other needed stuff. You currently have to manually transfer all that stuff over.

Ah yes, i see. Forgot about that case, this is indeed annoying. Thanks for reminding me. ;)

Modern era mods. Cry.

• Reintroduce the strokegun simulation removed from the engine since ArmA.

Strokegun? Could you elucidate?

Modern era mods. Cry.

Not the purpose of that topic i'm afraid.

---------- Post added at 10:04 ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 ----------

Strokegun? Could you elucidate?

The thing that allowed me to create units fighting like this in OFP :

The thing that allowed me to create units fighting like this in OFP :

Like this?

I was able to make a similar script for the TLR mission, or was that an attack like the DayZ/SLX melee weapons?

Like this?

I was able to make a similar script for the TLR mission, or was that an attack like the DayZ/SLX melee weapons?

No, because what you see on my OFP mod is an unscripted solution, so built in engine. Scripted solution are always cluncky.

No, because what you see on my OFP mod is an unscripted solution, so built in engine. Scripted solution are always cluncky.

I could guess the engine part :tongue: but what was it like, similar to halo melee (gravity hammer/ sword)? Like was it just an animation or an actual attack

---

Discuss or wish/suggest anything related to the title/original post

posted with permission from [FRL]Myke

I certainly agree that SQF is problematic, and would prefer a standardized oop language like Java where we could at least pre-compile to get immediate feedback on code quality. However, I would also add that a general cleanup of the API regardless of platform language would be very useful. A few obvious items that should be added to the API:

1. Simplify the MP API such that it is clear when, where, and how scripts are invoked. Simplify the API for handling JIP players.

2. Add a real logging mechanism to the API.

3. Remove case sensitivity from all class names represented by strings and make this the standard for all file types (sqm, sqf, ext, etc)

4. Fix spelling mistakes in API routines, and refactor API names to make more sense. For example deleteVehicle is used also to delete units that are not vehicles. createVehicle is used to create objects that are not vehicles, etc.

5. Standardize position formats in the sqm file such that they are in the X,Y,Z format.

6. If still using runtime compiled scripts like SQF, then incorporate compile/interpreter errors into the logging mechanism with stack traces and line numbers.

7. Implement some form of multi-threading locking (mutex) for accessing public variables (already solved if one goes down the java route).

8. Add more diagnostic read-only fields from the engine into the API: units owned locally, units owned by machine, etc.

9. Provide more hooks into the AI. More fields regarding an AI unit's status (engaged, firing, etc), and ways to change those. I find in lots of my missions AI units get stranded due to engagement and never return to their waypoints. While I am sure lots of convoluted scripting could solve this, it would be easier if this was more clear.

Keep up the awesome work.