Sign in to follow this  
JeProject

Assign two different teams with different formations?

Is it not possible to have two different teams (under direct control, not using HC) use different formations?

e.g. for simplicity not tactical, if my whole section is set to 'vee' on me and I move Red fire team (which is everyone to the left of me) 200m in front then they seem to remain in that half 'vee' formation.

How do I set the remaining men with me to regroup as 'vee' on me and have that other fireteam take up a new formation of their own?

Sorry if this is really basic but I can't seem to find anyone else even mentioning this.

Jason

Unfortunately it is not possible to assign different formations for color teams in the same group. There is only one formation allowed per group.

Unfortunately it is not possible to assign different formations for color teams in the same group. There is only one formation allowed per group.

What is the best thing to do then? Put everyone in line formation before splitting the men up so at least they are in some kind of sensible formation?

Thanks for your answer, was driving me mad, at least I can stop searching now.

What is the best thing to do then? Put everyone in line formation before splitting the men up so at least they are in some kind of sensible formation?

That depends on the situation and the size of the squad or (color) team...

I think there are scripts which enable the player to 'outsource' units from his own group into HC groups and vice versa. I can't recall the author or the exact name but I'm very sure it exists. You'll find it if you search around in the forums a bit (the best place to start would be the 'Mission Editing and Scripting' subforum).

Yeah that's called High Command extensions script, zwobot. But since it's in a script format - the mission needs to be edited to make use of it.

That and the interface of that script is quite terrible - way too much menu diving.

Would've been great if somebody turned it into a simple mod with only assigning soldiers into separate HC teams though.

I think I'm going to post this into ArmA3 wishes.

I made a quick demo mission with a script to split your group into HC groups and merge them back with your own group again.

Download link.

Edited by zwobot

It's good but it would've been better in a mod form that injects itself into any mission. And will it work with existing pre-set HC formations?

Making a self-injecting addon out of it can't be too hard. I prefer scripted solutions as I mostly edit and play my own mission creations and don't want to install too many addons...

I can't remember testing it with pre-set HC formations but it should work both ways with pre-set HC groups. You can test this yourself...