Sign in to follow this  
Sakowski

[WIP] Vostrian Defense Forces

Arma2_logo.png

Whats VDF?

VDF - Vostrian Defense Forces is a fictional military and a nation called Grand Duchy of Vostria, it is based on Luxembourg, its culture is half Slavic and Dutch however the language is Eastern Slavic a connection of Slovakian with Polish.

Its a small nation on a island in the North Sea between United Kingdom and Netherlands however the origin of Slavic people in North Sea is unknown.

As a Luxembourg is a Grand Duchy as well, its a small nation with a military so is Vostria.

The VDF "homeland" is Island Panthera by IceBreakr as permission was granted to use however no editing is happening on the map ITS JUST a map for a fictional military.

VDF are using AUG A3's. Permission to use custom Soldiers is still in hold as permission was not given yet therefor no pictures ATM.

Soldiers and Vehicles have different camouflages, vehicles has a custom re-colored Hex Camouflage.

New Screenies:

arma2oa_2012_10_06_00_33_04_80.png

arma2oa_2012_10_06_00_32_52_37.png

arma2oa_2012_10_06_01_15_07_04.png

arma2oa_2012_10_06_01_15_11_20.png

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Old Screenshots:

Thanks to:

IceBreakr

Slatts & Christian.1987

W0lle

Old Bear, [ADO] GMC and ADO clan

Lennard

Trouble

markb50k

Copyright:

W0lle - M60A3

BIS - For their all beloved models!

IceBreakr - Island Panthera

Christian.1987 - AUG A3

[ADO] GMC - Armee Tigerianne

CDF Marines - Lennard

Gazelle & Lynx - Trouble

Its a WIP - More coming soon.

Edited by Sakowski

@Sakowski

Interesting looking project, its good that you have create a background to your VDF forces. i will keep an eye on this project :)

Thanks, still waiting for two permissions to be granted and looking for something that will fit the "unit" I dont want to add like cobras or abrahams because well in reality its a small westernized slavic with dutch culture country :P

Any ideas what to maybe look at?

BTR 90 & BTR 90 HQ, didn't really know what to get and there is small number of stuff that would fit a small military like this so I decided to use BTR 90 since well it has slavic connections.

arma2oa_2012_10_04_00_35_38_98.png

arma2oa_2012_10_04_00_37_17_87.png

arma2oa_2012_10_04_00_37_24_78.png

Damn I love the camouflage!

And I would love to get some ideas what to do! Its hard to get some good stuff for a small military based country.

P.S. VDF is now under Independent team.

@Sakowski

You have a really nice project going here by the sound and look of things. :)

The ‘Grand Duchy of Vostria’ you say is a small island nation, does it have any valuable resources i.e. in the North sea maybe ’Gas fields’, whereby a small naval presence would be a sensible addition.

Also air support via small but well sourced air force. Plus would that be a Royal Vostrian Air force, as duchy descends from something originally being of a royalty base, as is Luxembourg. Seems fitting that if it is an old nation the ‘Royal’ part may not have been dropped even though its now a Grand Duchy. That of course would make all its military ‘Royal’ prefix. Just thoughts.

If it were a nation with valuable gas fields then I see a reasonably wealthy nation which would source its military hardware from, possible the UK, or USA, or does it lean towards Russia in that respect. Placing it where you have would mean it has a strategic military value, could even have help from foreign forces stationed there etc.

Sorry lots of questions, it will take its place for sure in our game universe, but great to have background to work with and alliances etc..

Looking forward to seeing your progress..:)

@Sakowski

You have a really nice project going here by the sound and look of things. :)

The ‘Grand Duchy of Vostria’ you say is a small island nation, does it have any valuable resources i.e. in the North sea maybe ’Gas fields’, whereby a small naval presence would be a sensible addition.

Also air support via small but well sourced air force. Plus would that be a Royal Vostrian Air force, as duchy descends from something originally being of a royalty base, as is Luxembourg. Seems fitting that if it is an old nation the ‘Royal’ part may not have been dropped even though its now a Grand Duchy. That of course would make all its military ‘Royal’ prefix. Just thoughts.

If it were a nation with valuable gas fields then I see a reasonably wealthy nation which would source its military hardware from, possible the UK, or USA, or does it lean towards Russia in that respect. Placing it where you have would mean it has a strategic military value, could even have help from foreign forces stationed there etc.

Sorry lots of questions, it will take its place for sure in our game universe, but great to have background to work with and alliances etc..

Looking forward to seeing your progress..:)

Thank you!

The resource yes would be a Gas Fields, Timber (( Since its surrounded by mountains and forests )) and possibly iron yet not found. Navy would be nice however there aint really ships in ArmA 2 to make a naval category.

Airforce well its a small nation with military just formed from National Police however Police is still in operation but VDF also has law enforcement rights, getting a right airplane as a fighter jet is hard in here because I don't want to go overboard, about "Royal" well indeed Grand Duchy is about monarchy but it does not use "Royal" in its name, after a war with England in 1815 it is not permitted to deploy its military abroad unless its peace mission just like Japan, Royal tag in the military was abolished in 1930 after the Grand Duke Balmont II after Grand Duke Balmont I died. The military equipment would of be bought from western nations either UK, Netherlands, Germany and USA.

Really appreciate that kind of comment as well if you have any suggestions what could be added let me know!

Edited by Sakowski

Rise the flag and salute soldier!

Images Deleted.

Might do a Military Emblem flag as well.

Edited by Sakowski

My friends asked me to tell you that you should maybe select M70AB2 for primary rifle instead of Augs? Unless you want more "Austrian" look ;)

Well since its a nation in the west with western influence I think using something western like AUG would fit the best just like Ireland and Australia :D

Tho a new sniper would work great becase atm they use CZ 550 and still its pretty effective, managed to get a headshot on 800m... but well still something new will be neded :P

Well since its a nation in the west with western influence I think using something western like AUG would fit the best just like Ireland and Australia :D

Tho a new sniper would work great becase atm they use CZ 550 and still its pretty effective, managed to get a headshot on 800m... but well still something new will be neded :P

Perhaps keep the Augs which are 5.56 calibre, and perhaps m249 as the machine gun as its the same ammo type. For Sniper rifle perhaps an M21/M14 which are 7.62 calibre.

Perhaps keep the Augs which are 5.56 calibre, and perhaps m249 as the machine gun as its the same ammo type. For Sniper rifle perhaps an M21/M14 which are 7.62 calibre.

Yes AUGS are 5.56 and since its NATO and Vostria wants to join it completely they have to have a assault rifle with 5.56 cartridge, I made MMG M240 (If I remember correctly) and LMG M249. And M21 sounds good! but where to get that? I don't think that the custom arma 2 DMR would work well for sniper rifle... Still CZ 550 uses 9.3x62mm which is bloody big!

Either way keep on giving suggestions for differ weapons! If I will like it I might change! AUG is a bit "bad" due some bugs but until I get some idea of different Main Assault Rife I will need to keep it but I'm still waiting for Slatts AUG's :'D

As well possible Mirage 3 and FV 432 APC coming into VDF!

Edited by Sakowski

The camo of the vehicles is going to change for every, I kinda disliked the hex one as it looks too bright and colorful so I decided to re-make everything with a new camo.

Here is a preview of a BTR-90 done atm.

arma2oa_2012_10_05_20_57_34_53.png

Untitled.png

What do you think? Is it better then the old one?

EDIT: Scrapping UH and HMMV, I think something more european is needed! any ideas for transport chopper and a vehicle with/out a mounted gun.

EDIT 2: Vostrian's might or might not be clever when it comes to camouflaging but surely I will stay with this new pattern!

arma2oa_2012_10_06_00_33_04_80.png

arma2oa_2012_10_06_00_32_52_37.png

I really need ideas on the new vehicle and chopper!

EDIT 3: And here is M60A3 in new camo

arma2oa_2012_10_06_01_15_07_04.png

arma2oa_2012_10_06_01_15_11_20.png

Edited by Sakowski

I loved the hex camouflage pattern that was being used. VERY nicely done. The saturation of the colors in that scheme didn't bother me at all. I'd keep them.

Also, if at all possible - It would be nice to have a military made available to us that's more than "just" upgraded Eastern bloc equipment. These kinds of units are already widely available in a lot of mods, and it would be nice to face and/or use units that we don't usually get a chance at to encounter/control.

Why not make the background such that an enormous quantity of rare earth elements were discovered, and a salivating Steve Jobs type character just had to have those raw resources for his suicide-net dungeon factories in China. Knowing that they're sitting on a jackpot, the Vostrians have been working the system to get all kinds of modernized equipment in there - some of which are getting in through backdoor and deeply resented channels.

The advantages to setting up such a situation are...

...put any unit you want in there with the distinctive Vostrian camo scheme, opening up a ton of variety for gameplay purposes. I'd comb through every unit available, and strongly consider including ones that don't see a lot of game/mod time.

...the new equipment is both a blessing and a curse - a blessing due to the equipments' advanced capabilities, but a curse due to how it was amassed. ANYONE could become this country's enemy, and for a whole host of logical reasons.

To that end, please setup the Vostrians so that they're available in the editor as friend, enemy, and resistance. This will allow mission editors a great deal of easy flexibility in creating missions and campaigns utilizing your mod.

Good luck to you, and thank you for the previews!

Well Vostria was planned to be a small nation with just builded up military from national police like Luxembourg.

I can do change weapons of it to soviet/russian like AKMS which I think would fit it well, The enemy of Vostria? Well I have only planned a bloody civil war by a "pretender" to have a legal right to be the Grand Duke of Vostria.

Any suggestion would be great to have!

What do you think AKMS should be the primary weapon of Vostria and let it have some time till modernizing its weaponry when it comes to "guns"?

As well when it comes to a camo, the soldiers I can say have a unique one :P And yes VDF will be and is Independent

My main point, is that this military can be visually unified by the terrific camouflage patterning that you put on it, and as to what the unit makeup is, well, that's entirely up to you.

I feel that my "rare earth metals deposits" backround is a pretty good reason for the Vostrian elites to assemble together whatever kind of advanced military that they desire. Of course, there are potential consequences, since the Big Boy Corporate Empires, such as the U.S., China, and Russia, for example, could become VERY irritated that the Vostrians acquired this weapon system by Means A and from rival Country B, etc., etc.

Thus, you could have reserve units still equipped with old former Eastern bloc AKs and Soviet styled helmets, while regular forces could be equipped with modernized bullpup assault rifles with holographic collameters and wear modern French-styled helmets, and their special forces units could be infiltrating about with fully pimped out SCARs and British-styled helmets.

Mechanized reserve units could be stuck with Eastern bloc armor, while regular forces have state of the art Leopards and Challengers. IED-resistent Turkish and Australian armored cars and troop transports could be used.

The above schema could apply to air combat vehicles as well.

Even the civilian-centered forces could follow this model: county deputies would have older Eastern bloc handguns, while city and state police could have MP7s, MP5s, and other tricked out personal defense weapons (PDWs). Their version of SWAT units could wear the exact same gear that the Vostrian special forces do.

You've got GREAT skinning skills. There are thousands of mods that have been created for Operation Flashpoint, ArmA, ArmA II, and the overwhelming majority of those have already thoroughly focused on fictionalized forces that all closely followed either a "Western" or "Eastern" theme - why do that again? With your skills, you could take ANY unit, reskin it with that awesome new camouflage, and instantly make it part of the overall Vostrian military. I would WARMLY welcome having a cohesive military that was extremely interesting because of its mixed-up capabilities. For once it would be nice NOT to have tactical situations be very predictable, because the opposing force was "all Western" or "all Eastern" in the equipment that it utilizes.

This is a fictional setting - grab that bull by the horns and create a military force that players are going to drool after because of its unique tactical capabilities. Seriously, I have no doubts that if someone were to go in this direction, that the community members would be going crazy for each new update.

Even so do not remember this is a island, not big, its a simple medium sized island with medium population, if China, Russia, US or UK would want to attack they would because their military is 100 times bigger then Vostrian, even "rare metal" wont make VDF great to counter attack superpowers... Its like September 1939 Invasion, even big nation but less technological advanced nation Poland got destroyed by Germany and Russia and what to say in 21st century US, Russia, China and United Kingdom.

And well still waiting for some permissions which is Soldiers, Mirage 3 and I was suppose to receive a british apc but nothing happened yet.

I will be trying to make a SWAT kind of unit as well as a bonus.

And the units will now use AKMS, Sniper Rifle will be M21.

Edited by Sakowski

Even so do not remember this is a island, not big, its a simple medium sized island with medium population, if China, Russia, US or UK would want to attack they would because their military is 100 times bigger then Vostrian, even "rare metal" wont make VDF great to counter attack superpowers... Its like September 1939 Invasion, even big nation but less technological advanced nation Poland got destroyed by Germany and Russia and what to say in 21st century US, Russia, China and United Kingdom.

And well still waiting for some permissions which is Soldiers, Mirage 3 and I was suppose to receive a british apc but nothing happened yet.

I will be trying to make a SWAT kind of unit as well as a bonus.

And the units will now use AKMS, Sniper Rifle will be M21.

I would suggest that you create a good background for your project, important dates, currency captial city name etc.

Which British APC will you be using? why not have an M113 which could have been sold to the VDF with the M60 as part of an arms deal with the USA. If your going to us the AKMS, i would suggest having the SVD as the Sniper Rifle. Unless of course you want to have a mixture of Russian and NATO arms which is perfectly plausible.

As your going with the AKMS would you be using the PKM as the Machine Gun?

But at the end of the day, this is your project. These are just mere suggestions :)

I would suggest that you create a good background for your project, important dates, currency captial city name etc.

Which British APC will you be using? why not have an M113 which could have been sold to the VDF with the M60 as part of an arms deal with the USA. If your going to us the AKMS, i would suggest having the SVD as the Sniper Rifle. Unless of course you want to have a mixture of Russian and NATO arms which is perfectly plausible.

As your going with the AKMS would you be using the PKM as the Machine Gun?

But at the end of the day, this is your project. These are just mere suggestions :)

The APC suppose to be FV 432 from vilas he gave me permission but he told me his going to e-mail me the mp version for easier reskin etc but nothing came yet if won't I will go for M113, and yes I want a mix of Western and Eastern weaponry so here is what I thought of:

Vostrian Foot Infantry:

Assault Rifle - AKMS

AT - RPG 7 (Scope Version)

AA - Still thinking.

LMG - M249

MMG - PKP

Sniper - M21

Vostrian Rangers:

Assault Rifle: M4 with/out silencer or M16's + M203

Sniper: M21

Rangers are simply the elite soldiers of VDF, they are the unit that fights in tought terrain like Mountain, originally they were called Mountain Rangers but it got shorten to Rangers and so they do a bit of spec ops as well.

I will be doing background for it, specially for the civil war for the "power", the back story of it is a "pretender" to have legal rights to be a Grand Duke of Vostria by political lines it does not help him so he wants to do it by power so he greats militia but not in Vostria, it was reported by CIA that his militia was trafficking guns and stealing ships in Somalia and now hes goes back to take over Vostria and to be the Grand Duke but more to that later, cities, capital and so on are the same as Island Panthera since its all settled in there.

After possibly mod will be done with full armory I will learn how to make good missions and try to make my own Vostrian Campaign unless someone will do it before me xD

Thank you for the suggestions as well!

EDIT: Airforce will be created soon as I get Mirage 3, still need ideas what transport choppers to use, I did not like UH.

Give me any ideas for the vehicles! at the moment all there is, is a BTR-90 and M60A3

Edited by Sakowski

Some great suggestions coming, don’t get side tracked from your initial vision of the Vostrian nation. There are some really good ideas being put down, just take your time and pick out which suit your idea of how, what, why and where everything came together to make this nation have a voice..

Every nation has a story to tell, some shout louder than others, make the Vostrian story heard..

And finally waiting for long time permission to use Armee Tigerianne was given by [ADO] GMC! so now I can show you guys the Soldiers of VDF.

arma2oa_2012_10_09_15_38_02_39.jpg

The whole team, Normal Infantry and Rangers with BTR-90 and M60A3 behind with crew men and pilots behind.

arma2oa_2012_10_09_15_29_09_64.jpg

Rangers, I forgot to edit the medic so he has a pistol only sorry my bad will fix it!

arma2oa_2012_10_09_15_32_31_43.jpg

VDF Infantry Sniper engaging enemy.

arma2oa_2012_10_09_15_32_40_65.jpg

Infantry Rifleman taking position to open fire at enemy.

arma2oa_2012_10_09_15_34_56_50.jpg

Rangers Sniper.

arma2oa_2012_10_09_15_38_11_60.jpg

Crewmen with their KAC PDW

arma2oa_2012_10_09_15_38_17_35.jpg

Pilots with their KAC PDW as well.

I messed up and saved Rangers picture into Infantry picture so there is no set of them but you can see them in three pictures!

Rangers used the western weaponry, M16A4's as however Infantry used Eastern Based weaponry as AKMS, AK-103 for Officers and Team Leaders.

Credits for the models goes to [ADO] GMC and ADO clan and thank you for re-texture permission.#

What do you think of their camouflage?

Just to clear out misunderstanding, Vehicle Camo is not the same as Personnel Camo, it looks similar!

And yes Vostria is a multicultural nation, when slavery was introduced Vostria never agreed on it and it allowed refugees to come to Vostria and live however to be a part of the nation they had to learn Vostrian.

Edited by Sakowski

I surely will take Lynx to concentration if I will find a addon of it :P

I surely will take Lynx to concentration if I will find a addon of it :P

RKSL has made a Lynx. Also Trouble has who's releases you will find on Armaholic, he is very helpful if you need MLODS for your own version.

Yea I was looking for Trouble on BIS forums (aka here :P) but couldn't find his account so I guess I will get in touch with RKSL but I kind of prefer trouble's Cold War one since its "older" I guess.

If I would of get in contact with trouble I could of ask about Gazelle as well since it looks nice and I think it would of fit, so therefor here comes a question, anyone got some contact detail on him? :P

Edited by Sakowski