Sign in to follow this  
Rydygier

EIGHT NOTCHES: the story from Gun & Magic world

eightnotchesm.jpg

THE STORY FROM GUN & MAGIC WORLD

Here is the homeland of the Gifted. Their ability of harnessing exotic energy has become their curse. Group of the most powerful of them, called "The Eight", vowed to eradicate Gifted with the whole bloodline. Was unleashed cruel "Cleansing Wars". Gifted were hunted down and murdered with their families. Those, who resisted, were defeated. Whole villages was wiped off the map. In the end only one, the last Gifted's refuge was left, but not for long. "Cleansing Wars" are coming to an end, the country lies at the feet of "The Eight".

It is too late to save other Gifted, but try to save own family and avenge the others now, when you earned the knowledge about weak spot of yours powerful enemies.

Background info

"Eight Notches" is a dynamic SP mission set in an alternate Chernaruss. It has a simply plot and objectives, but almost all of its elements are deployed randomly at the beginning, though not by chance, therefore, its course is unpredictable and different every time. Nothing but magically summoned units is spawned during the game. All forces are present on the map from the beginning. This mission isn't concentrated on intense action. In fact, quality of used tactic is opposite proportional to the amount of firefights except for a minimum of unavoidable violence needed to complete objectives. Of course, everyone can choose the approach that he liked, but in general the mission will be a challenge in terms of efficient use of the map, deliberate route choosing, forward-looking quick thinking and planning ahead, and all this under the pressure of relentless chase of "The Eight" battlemages and other multiple threats (more information you can find on the map screen). Because of that "EN" may prove to be a difficult mission.

The gameplay in brief

- first task is to evacuate younger brother out of the country;

- second task is to kill all eight hostile battlemages. But their initial invulnerability generates third task:

- to destroy eight so called "mana shield generators" spread out across the whole country, to make enemy mages vulnerable.

Tasks may be done in any effective order or simultanously.

Advices

- save the game frequently;

- often check the map;

- use the terrain to avoid unnecessary confrontations;

- absolutely necessary to avoid confrontations with mages of The Eight until you make them vulnerable. If spotted earlier - hide or flee as fast as possible;

- stay in move;

- well think about the sequence of actions and tactics;

- see the tab "Notes" on the map of the mission;

- magic offers many possibilities, but should not be overestimated. Bullet in the head is usually more reliable. Still, wisely used spell may be yours best friend sometimes;

Specification

Required game version: CO 1.62;

kind of gameplay: dynamic SP (whole map);

map: Chernarus;

difficulty: varies, average: hard;

gameplay duration: varies, average: 8-10 houres.

Required addons

- Models of the battlemages (The Eight) and their modified weapons by Icewindo - thanks again! (addon included);

Adapted and built-in scripts

Simple Breath Fog Script by TPW modified by Rydygier;

Nice Boat's Tank Damage System;

Fire at Will;

Rincewinder: Combat Effective Magick System (manual included);

Action Cam (in the outro);

Warmonger: Map Populating Tool (fully autonomously, random, but reasonable placed strongpoints, foot and motorized patrols and minefields. Idea partially inspired by Igneous01's
project, but written from the scratch by me).

Download

Installation

Extract the EightNotches.Chernarus.pbo file to your ARMA2\Missions folder. Included addon folder (@battlemages) as is put into your modfolder.

Known issues

- sometimes game crashes to desktop during intro or outro. Cause unknown;

- possible language mistakes.

Intro song:

BUSHES AND BRIARS by Caroline Lavelle

Note: AI-modifying addons possibly may badly interfere with the behavior of some characters (their AI is already modified by internal code).

Note 2: during the outro may occur rapidly flashing lights (warning for epileptics).

I hope, that you will enjoy this mission as I did. Good luck. :)

Rydygier

Edited by Rydygier
armaholic mirror

Ryd, you are truly mad as a fish but your work stretching the boundaries of ArmA2 is amazing. Keep it up!

Good Luck in this new genre! If anyone can pull off magic, its you!!

Magic in arma 2 :D this is something new. I must try this mission. Downloading now.

Thanks guys, have a fun. I had big fun with creating this. :)

One thing I forgot to mention: Intro should to start from black screen, but sometimes blackness is loading with some delay, and initially we see normal 3D view first. I do not know yet, how to avoid that and how to reliable ensure black screen at the beginning (anyone know?), but generally is very helpful to have chernarus map already preloaded (set as default map for main menu, or open this map in editor first...).

Thanks for this!!

Thanks guys, have a fun. I had big fun with creating this. :)

One thing I forgot to mention: Intro should to start from black screen, but sometimes blackness is loading with some delay, and initially we see normal 3D view first. I do not know yet, how to avoid that and how to reliable ensure black screen at the beginning (anyone know?), but generally is very helpful to have chernarus map already preloaded (set as default map for main menu, or open this map in editor first...).

I get the same issue.. how are you calling the loading screen? In init.sqf? I've tried that as well as creating a trigger with time > 0.1 in the editor which calls 'loadscreen.sqf' (as you cannot use waitUntil in init.sqf).. but neither seem to give me a black screen immediately.. there is sometimes a very short delay and other times a good 5-6 seconds before black screen.....

Tried via init.sqf and via another sqf launched from player's init field. With titleCut "BLACK IN" and sequence "BLACK FADED" - "BLACK IN". Used also finishMissionInit command (not sure, what this does, saw no difference with or without). Same result (means if map is already loaded, often is good, but sometimes delay occurs). Interesting is, that titleCut "BLACK IN" seems to work reliable in my first mission's intro. Differences: other map (Duala) and command there is used from sqs executed from player's init, not from sqf. Perhaps cutText will work better, but I'm not sure if not tried this too...

Nice to see this released Rydygier :) .

Did you guys try to add titleText ["", "BLACK FADED", 0]; into the init line of the player in the intro/real mission? Afaik that solved my problems back then when I created missions.

Thanks, must try that. :)

Nice to see this released Rydygier :) .

Did you guys try to add titleText ["", "BLACK FADED", 0]; into the init line of the player in the intro/real mission? Afaik that solved my problems back then when I created missions.

yes will try.. what about adding that line at the top of init.sqf?