Sign in to follow this  
BL1P

Client beta and Server Beta

Hello.

I was wondering Can a Client running Beta cause problems for a server not running the beta ?

Yes, VON may not work depending on your version and the server's version.

Thanks But ..

I realise that the client end maybe effected sometimes depending on the beta version.

Although I was more interested in if a server not running beta can suffer from a client running beta.

Thanks But ..

Although I was more interested in if a server not running beta can suffer from a client running beta.

Interesting question. Since in last few beta releases is stated :

suggested to be used for server hosting as it shall be noticeably stabler

I can only assume there is something there with this you talk about, but I dont think it can cause any problems regarding VON. For server configs its only added HQ presets, so if you run non beta server and dont have it configured for HQ, client running new beta which have these changes will not cause any damage and will use any older VON settings given server is running.

Of course I might be wrong, but it sounds reasonable.

Hmm still no answer to this question :(

It would depend on the differences between the two. When running a MP game, some things get run just on the server and some things get run just on the clients and some things on both. With code running on both client and server, if there are differences between how the code works then you may experience issues. It very much depends on what changed in the beta compared to the base vanilla game.

Then there is the base code to consider - if anything has changed in the net code between the vanilla game and the beta then you are going to have issues. The severity of these issues will depend on what changed.

My rule of thumb is to always make sure my clients are running the same version as the server - that way you are not going to have any version issues.

Ok thanks Jedra

So as I understand it YES the client running beta can cause problems for a server not running beta.

So all servers not running beta should ask Clients using that server to NOT run beta ?

OR

In some way restrict access to any client who is running beta in order to stop them joining the server and causing server problems ?!?!

Thats seems to be the only answers I have so far.

Thanks m8

Im sure that when/if a beta would cause trouble for nonbeta servers, BIS wouldnt state that its a "1.62 MP compatible build, post 1.62 release"

Dorph;2233708']Im sure that when/if a beta would cause trouble for nonbeta servers' date=' BIS wouldn't state that its a "1.62 MP compatible build, post 1.62 release"[/quote']

Yer I Thought that aswell. Thanks.

But have been asked by someone not to run Beta on a none Beta server to Increase stability of the server.

I dont mind doing that, I just wanted to know if doing so does infact increase the stability of the server. Which then means that running a beta on a none beta server does cause problems for a none beta server... If ya see what I mean.