I'm very happy to announce v2.0 for both parts 1 and 2. Now with two versions each (one with and one without controllable ai - details below).
Also, part 3 is nearly done and I'll soon start testing. It will be a CoTvT (45 players on Brazilian side versus 5 players + AI on the other).
I had the idea to build a campaign based on Brazilian armed forces (mainly Army and Marines). After research and quite some help, this is what I could come up with so far. It's not quite ready but I'm releasing it to get further feedback.
The main limitation is the availability of both units and equipment. There are some blue helmet Brazilian units but, for starters, I didn't want to restrict the idea to UN-type missions. These you'll find on the mission were the closest units and loadouts I could come up with while keeping the mods/add-on list short. As a matter of fact, you only need ACE/ACRE and the Lingor to play it.
- Equiment and loadout mimicking Brazilian forces' operations;
- Full ACRE support;
- ACE features, including ACE wounds and revive;
- Choice of features under mission parameters. Among others:
a) you can choose to have revives or not and, if so, the timer (shorter or longer time before wounded unit is deceased);
b) you can choose whether to limit medic actions (revive, morph, epi, medkits) to medics only or allow any player to perform them;
- spectator mode for dead players;
- JIP is supported and now teleport works fine;
- Random enemy positions and patrols. Depending on your luck you might get a really hard mission or a walk in the park, but most instances should fall somewhere in between permitting some replayability and keeping everyone on their toes;
- Random enemy loadout script. Enemies might receive any weapons within a range of realistic for the region and operation. This also randomizes the missions and their difficulty as you might face thugs with revolvers one time and fighters with rifles the next (although you should get a nice mixture most of the time);
Now in two versions:
- "no-ai" for larger coop communities/player bases. Playable AI disabled; no respawn; GDT spectator; slots of dead player became available for others to join in progress (JIP).
- "ai": for smaller coop communities. Playable AI enabled (albeit you can choose in-game to disable it); group respawn (if there is AI alive in your group, players will take control of that unit and resume the mission); slots became unavailable upon unit's death (whether player or AI).
Obs.: all missions are Coop multiplayer. You can play single player, just set a multiplayer game on a LAN and you'll be the only one connected. Use the "ai" version for that.
Required mods: @ACE;@ACRE;@Lingor and CBA
Obs.: if there is enough demand, I'd be happy to edit the mission and make it ace-free (would be playable with OA/CO version of Arma). However, I do think the features brought up by the mod are really worth it.
This one is a coop for up to 9 players (a Recon squad). Your team is tasked with conducting a recon of a abandoned airfield that is reportedly being used as a drug-smuggling facility. The recon precedes what might be Brazilian armed intervention into Lingor. It's a relatively short mission.
The mission is is built upon Brazilian army's "jungle units" - technically, Jungle Infantry Brigades (Brigada de Infantaria de Selva, or Bda Inf Sl). For more info and more cool pictures like this one below, click on it:
A 13 soldier comando squad, you are tasked to return to Lingor and disrupt enemy activities. The many tasks involve ambushes, explosions, questioning informants and acquiring evidence, along with covering ground undetected and heart-stopping CBQ! What's not to like?
This is a longer mission compared to the first, and demands quite a bit more in terms of both planning and proper tactics. You will be tested!
This second mission is inspired on the Brazilian 1st Comando Batallion (1° Batalhão de Ações de Comandos, or 1° B A C) which is part of the Special Operations Brigade (Brigada de Operações Especiais, or Bda Op Esp):
- CO09 BRA1 - Airfield Recon v2 (no playable ai, no respawn)
- CO09 BRA1 - Airfield Recon v2ai (playable ai, group respawn)
- CO13 BRA2 - Disrupting Traffic v2 (no playable ai, no respawn)
- CO13 BRA2 - Disrupting Traffic v2ai (playable ai, group respawn)
- CO09 BRA1 - Airfield Recon v2
- CO13 BRA2 - Disrupting Traffic v2
Known bugs and wishlist:
This doesn't seem to happen in other computers indeed, just on mine.
Other than that, I think I fixed all the known issues. If there are still some, they are unknown - so please do report if you find anything!
My idea is to make more missions, possibly linking them into a campaign featuring the Brazilian operation in Lingor. However, for that to happen, I need feedback from you guys! I didn't want to make the second mission yet, i.e. before making sure the scripts and features work and, above all, that the mission is fun to play.
Please let me know what you think of it, including balance issues etc., and if you have any info about Brazilian units/equipment/loadout/operations, please do get in touch!
If someone is a modder and would like to work on some simple Brazilian units, he can already be sure they'd be put to use!
Many thanks and I hope you have fun. Other missions will soon follow, let me know if you have any ideas!